Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What anime are you watching or manga are you reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Evade wrote: »
    The only similar kind of thing I'm watching this season is Sword Art Online: Alicization and it's painfully slow so far.

Is it actually any good? I've heard so much about it from both sides and kinda hesitant as SAO hasn't been good after the first 16 or so episodes IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    SAO hasn't been good after the first 16 or so episodes IMO.
    That's pretty much my opinion on SAO too except for SAOA:GGO that's pretty good, and I didn't watch SAO II. The only reason I'm watching Alicization is I mind my nephew for a few hours a week and he likes SAO. I'm holding out for a LLENN and Fukaziroh cameo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Wait, how many seasons are there? I just saw the first two.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Wait, how many seasons are there? I just saw the first two.

SAO
    SAO Extra OVA
    SAO II
    SAO Ordinal Scale Movie
    SAO Alternative: Gun Gale Online
    SAO Project Alicization

New season just started. It covers the entirety of the Alicization arc which spans 10 volumes. The adaptation will run for 50 episodes.

Apart from Ordinal Scale(Netflix) all of them are streaming on Crunchyroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Since I see it's due to leave Netflix on New Year's Day, I've started watching Cowboy Bebop.
    Of course it could be back on there if they're making the live action version

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Since I see it's due to leave Netflix on New Year's Day, I've started watching Cowboy Bebop.
    Of course it could be back on there if they're making the live action version

It'll still be on Crunchyroll too.

Also all new chapters of Shonen Jump are now free for 3 weeks from publication on the official app. The subscription service has been changed and now gives you access to every digitally published chapter of all English released Shonen Jump series for €2 a month.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

So what have people started to pick up from the new season?

Personally I've so far picked up:
    Mahou Shoujo Tokushusen Asuka (need to watch the first season when I get time)
    Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari

From last season I had Karakuri Circus on my maybe list for a long while but around episode 6 or 7 it really started to get going and I'm loving it now. Finished the Seven Sins movie as well; recommended as it adds some interesting lore :)

I haven't watched the first episode of everything I'm interested in yet but so far I'll probably stick with

Shield Hero
    The Promised Neverland
    Boogie Pop and Others
    Girly Air Force - mostly to see how similar it is to Third Arial Girls Squad from Shiro Bako

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Girly Air Force - mostly to see how similar it is to Third Arial Girls Squad from Shiro Bako
    I tried to watch the first episode but the graphic of the planes & aliens simply turned me off.

Nody wrote: »
    I tried to watch the first episode but the graphic of the planes & aliens simply turned me off.
    Yeah, the CG is very in your face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Well quite a few promising shows so far this season.

-Mob Psycho 100 II, first was great
    -Shield Hero, nice to see an isekai where he doesn't care and just acts like a twat cos everyone else is
    -Boogiepop, timeline is all over the place but so far pretty good
    -Promised Neverland, heard good things but wonder will it just become "death flags: the anime"
    -Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka, shades of Madoka but interesting to see magical girls vs criminal syndicates
    -Kaguya-Sama: Love is War, pretty funny watching the 2 characters twist around topics to get one over each other

Also have Slime-San and Run with the Wind continuing so well made up for this season.

Dunno about Girly Air Force, more interested in The Magnificent Kotobuki thats on HiDive, similar focus on aircraft (6 girls run a mercenary air squadron taking on air pirates). Its full CGI but has some allumni from Shirobako as writer and director.

Sitting a bit back from my tv combined with the 'r' and 'i' I completely misread "Arial".

Having just finished Cowboy Bebop (Will watch the movie later) I'm currently making my way through Voltron. I know it's not an anime, though it's clearly inspired by anime and based on one.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Sitting a bit back from my tv combined with the 'r' and 'i' I completely misread "Arial".
    There's almost certainly a doujinshi with that title.

I haven't watched the first episode of everything I'm interested in yet but so far I'll probably stick with

Shield Hero
    The Promised Neverland
    Boogie Pop and Others
    I've watched a few others and I'll probably stick with

Price of Smiles
    Kaguya Sama: Love is War
    Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka
    Grimms Notes the Animation
    Endro!

And I still have Slime and Run with the Wind too.

The third episode of Boogiepop made a lot more sense of the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Currently watching:
    That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime
    Rising of the Shield Hero
    Manaria Friends

It's a good time for fantasy anime

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Cotts72

must start shield hero soon, Reincarnated as slime is class!

Goblin slayer is very good too

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Havent gotten around to that one yet, need to watch that and Made In Abyss too

Sieghardt wrote: »
    Havent gotten around to that one yet, need to watch that and Made In Abyss too

Made the mistake of starting shield hero today before work.. Very addictive

Watched the first 2 episodes of boogiepop and literally have no idea whats going on or where characters have gone 😂 read above that ep3 clears things up... Fingers crossed

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Watched the first 2 episodes of boogiepop and literally have no idea whats going on or where characters have gone �� read above that ep3 clears things up... Fingers crossed
    I rewatched the first two just before the third and it made it easier to follow. I thought the rest of the series would be three episode arcs too and I was going to let them finish an arc before watching it but it's up to Imaginator 5 now so I think I'll just have to jump in to it.

I rewatched the first two just before the third and it made it easier to follow. I thought the rest of the series would be three episode arcs too and I was going to let them finish an arc before watching it but it's up to Imaginator 5 now so I think I'll just have to jump in to it.

Watched ep 3 and a few mins of ep 4 before calling it a day, boogiepop has been popped just hasnt caught my interest like other shows

Promised neverland on the otherhand is pretty good so far

• Advertisement

Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

Just about to start episode 9.
    I remember looking up shows that aren't what they first seem after watching School-Live! and this was suggested

Just finished episode 11 of Shield hero (Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari) and that is how you end an episode; talk about bringing a smile with that teaser to my face.

Shield Hero is consistently good. Spear could do with being kicked in the balls a few more times and the Princess needs a good beating.

Shield hero is quality, every episode it delivers

The Price of Smiles turned out to be pretty good. I was a little dense though as I only noticed that two characters were clearly related in episode 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,863 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

the ****ers are really tightening down on copy write stuff, jaiminisbox got cease and desist and alot of my favourite reads are in trouble :(

Headshot wrote: »
    the ****ers are really tightening down on copy write stuff, jaiminisbox got cease and desist and alot of my favourite reads are in trouble :(

Good, mangakas make f**k all unless they sell a monstrous amount. Not like there aren't legal means to read most mainstream manga either.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,863 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Good, mangakas make f**k all unless they sell a monstrous amount. Not like there aren't legal means to read most mainstream manga either.

Unfortunately you live in an ideal world, some manga's or Manhua will never see the light of day in English language without the likes of translators on jaiminisbox for example

You even read that some of these sites contact the owners of the manga or Manhua directly to ask can they translate it to English but they simple refuse, how you work with someone of that mentality?

Headshot wrote: »
    Unfortunately you live in an ideal world, some manga's or Manhua will never see the light of day in English language without the likes of translators on jaiminisbox for example

You even read that some of these sites contact the owners of the manga or Manhua directly to ask can they translate it to English but they simple refuse, how you work with someone of that mentality?
    You even consider that contacting the mangaka without going through the publisher isn't going to achieve anything, especially some rando who isn't backed by or part of a publishing company themselves. The author would also take a particularly negative stance if the person contacting him is already actively stealing their work.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine most of the authors are hoping their manga/manhua become hits and it would be a bit embarrassing if they'd given away the English rights, for nothing, before that.

On another note, almost everything's over.

Spec Ops Asuka got a lot darker than I thought it would at the start. Kurumi is messed up. No hope of a season two as far as I can tell, I might have to check out the manga.

Endro! was good clean fun.

The Promised Neverland was good and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes in the second season.

Looking forward to the return of Slime. I really liked the Shizu focused episode near the end.

Run with the Wind was surprisingly good but I have a weakness for underdog sports anime.

Kaguya Sama shouldn't be as good as it was given the premise but definitely worth a watch and I'm holding out hope for a second season.

Girly Air Force and Grimm's Notes were not great but OK.

I'm still a few episodes behind on Boogiepop.

Advertisement