Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2017-18

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,792 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Nice win for the Knicks vs. Raps last night. Porzingis just a role-player and the rest of the team picked it up. There'll be a lot of nights like that one. Still not a great team on defense, but that usually improves with continuity.

Hard to get too excited by this team though, way too many bad years and an atrocious owner. But maybe they'll have a chance at the playoffs at the end, that's always interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I've heard some funny stories about Klay Thompson over the years but the scaffolding interview on local NY tv and the subsequent follow-ups with sports media are right up there. He's either the coolest dude alive or on some next level nerd tip and no-one seems to know which.

I'd post links but on mobile but they're easy enough to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I've heard some funny stories about Klay Thompson over the years but the scaffolding interview on local NY tv and the subsequent follow-ups with sports media are right up there. He's either the coolest dude alive or on some next level nerd tip and no-one seems to know which.

https://sports.yahoo.com/klay-thompson-man-street-offers-sound-scaffolding-safety-advice-163314540.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Well, I broke the Celtics steak.....:(

My trip so far: arrive Sunday, bags lost in transit, rain, fog, surprisingly good Indiana Orlando game, bags delivered to hotel and turned away by hotel as I "wasn't staying there" despite telling them the bags would be delivered by the airline (giant cock up on their part), more bad weather, and now I break the streak.

;)

What did you think of the Pacers Butters? Sabonis is going to be a nice player.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    What did you think of the Pacers Butters? Sabonis is going to be a nice player.

They were surprisingly good. Bogdan was excellent (always knew he could shoot the lights out but watching him in the warm ups you can see technically he's outstanding - he could still shed a few pounds though and he'd be better again). Oladipo (who I saw last year and looked star struck to be playing with Russ) was also very good, if a little erratic on occasion. Sabonis (as you'd expect) was fundamentally sound and solid, and like Oladipo looks so much better than last year. Turner was very quiet but he's put together physically; you can see there's talent there. Obviously the real highlight though was getting to see Born Ready ;) Overall though I'd be very happy with what they got from the PG trade. At the time it looked like daylight robbery, now it looks like they got the better deal.

When you see how the last two and Kanter and McDermott are all playing so much better this year v last you really have to question how badly run OKC was last year. I was one of those who thought Westbrook should have been MVP based in what he did last year but in light of the above I'm having some buyer's remorse. On the other hand though, when Westbrook is in beast mode it really is something to see. I saw it a couple of times last year (including the Denver game where he had 50, triple double, secured triple double average for the season and hit 40 footer to win the game) and GS had no answer for him the other night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,365 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Nets vs Blazers starting right now btw, rare early game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

He is brilliant, anymore laid back and he would fall over. Listened to him on a weekly radio interview last season and he Is just really cool, nothing phases humor bothers him.
    Kerr said Klay doesn’t say much but when he does it’s some of the funniest stuff his heard, cracks everyone up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Jordan Bell trolled the Bulls last night by making money signs after a plus one, was a very weird decision by the bulls to take cash for him at the draft

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

Maaan the Cavs suck, and they so didn't deserve to win last night..
    J.R's heatchecks are always fun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,023 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

mixery wrote: »
    Maaan the Cavs suck, and they so didn't deserve to win last night..
    J.R's heatchecks are always fun though.

Seven straight now. Not bad for a sucky team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

LeBron's will is a powerful asset ;) .

Rumours around Derrick Rose possibly leaving basketball for good have been going around for the last few days. Haven't posted or commented on them until now but looks bad for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Rumours around Derrick Rose possibly leaving basketball for good have been going around for the last few days. Haven't posted or commented on them until now but looks bad for him.

Hard to imagine anybody has had a worse post-MVP career than Rose. Apparently he could be losing out on 100million in endorsements if he retires, crazy stuff.

This time last year LeBron was complaining about not having any depth at point guard, they are even worse off now. Looks like hes going to be doing 40 minutes a night for another few months yet. Cavs play the Sixers tonight and they are 3 point underdogs, somewhere in the world Sam Hinkie is lighting a cigar.

Fizdale out in Memphis. I'm surprised as he was doing a doing job - certainly last season and the start of this; but it's all gone wrong in recent weeks. He hasn't been helped by injuries, but benching Marc Gasol for the entire 4th quarter last night wasn't the smartest move.

The Clippers job will be up in a few weeks though so he could apply for that.....;)

On a completely unrelated note and a post I've been meaning to make for ages....has anyone seen a guy called Jordan Kilgannon dunking? I'd post links but I'm on the mobile, but all I can say is wow. Some simply incredible stuff. Have a look on youtube etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm so glad I'm not a Lakers fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,522 ✭✭✭nerd69

On a completely unrelated note and a post I've been meaning to make for ages....has anyone seen a guy called Jordan Kilgannon dunking? I'd post links but I'm on the mobile, but all I can say is wow. Some simply incredible stuff. Have a look on youtube etc.

Be bugs me iv seen him in a few "pulling a random guy from the crowd" videos

With regards rose it's Sad to see id put him up as one of the great what ifs in NBA history which is crazy for a guy that won an mvp

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'm so glad I'm not a Lakers fan.

Wouldnt be too bad unless you started supporting them in the last 3 years.

nerd69 wrote: »
    Be bugs me iv seen him in a few "pulling a random guy from the crowd" videos

The random guy in the crowd stuff is naff alright but the "Scorpion" dunk he does is insane - and I've seen him do it in jeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Jordan Bell trolled the Bulls last night by making money signs after a plus one, was a very weird decision by the bulls to take cash for him at the draft

The Bulls front office in very weird decision shocker.

They are absolutely idiotic.

• Advertisement

https://bballbreakdown.com/2017/11/30/jimminy-christmas-these-rockets-are-good/

Rockets are going to make the WCF at this rate, maybe even win it all.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    https://bballbreakdown.com/2017/11/30/jimminy-christmas-these-rockets-are-good/

Rockets are going to make the WCF at this rate, maybe even win it all.

Yeah they look very good right now, but it's early days/not play off basketball etc.

My fear for the Warriors (and I say this as a Celtics fan) is they look VERY complacent right now. The only team that can beat the Warriors is the Warriors; but the complacency, arrogance, lack of application on both ends of the court etc. could really bite them in the ass come play off time. They really need to take the finger out.

Yeah they look very good right now, but it's early days/not play off basketball etc.

My fear for the Warriors (and I say this as a Celtics fan) is they look VERY complacent right now. The only team that can beat the Warriors is the Warriors; but the complacency, arrogance, lack of application on both ends of the court etc. could really bite them in the ass come play off time. They really need to take the finger out.

Kerr talked about it during the week, mentioned how he had been through this already with the Bulls. Only natural that a team that has been to 3 consecutive finals has a hard time getting up for 82 relatively meaningless games. Id still say its fairly likely they stroll to the conference finals maybe losing a couple of games, even in the west.

Gregk961 wrote: »
    Kerr talked about it during the week, mentioned how he had been through this already with the Bulls. Only natural that a team that has been to 3 consecutive finals has a hard time getting up for 82 relatively meaningless games. Id still say its fairly likely they stroll to the conference finals maybe losing a couple of games, even in the west.

Right, but the Rockets (or even the Spurs?) will give them a mighty hard time in the WCF.

Also it Again shows how impressive it is that lebron is still lebron after 7 straight

Also it Again shows how impressive it is that lebron is still lebron after 7 straight

Well...yes and no. It's been on different teams which helps, and it's the East, which helps enormously.

Well...yes and no. It's been on different teams which helps, and it's the East, which helps enormously.

Sure it does but the goat was burned out after 3 7 Id crazy under any cercumstance

Sure it does but the goat was burned out after 3 7 Id crazy under any cercumstance

Firstly the comments from Kerr etc. were based around a team and not an individual. Small point but an important distinction.

On Jordan, depending on what stories you read/believe etc., I'm not sure how much he was burned out as fed up/distracted etc. (and that's before you go into the gambling stories). Again, it was a different time. If a guy like Jordan entered the league when LBJ did and had access to the advances in sports science and nutrition, conditioning and recovery etc. that LBJ has had, then I really do wonder what kind of animal he could have become. From memory, Jordan didn't lift a weight in his life in any serious way until he was mid-career; and he took a pounding for years before doing so. The thing I probably most admire LeBron for is for his work ethic and his physical specimen he has become. I've mentioned before about the money he spends on his body annually and the care he takes of himself, but the fact he's gone largely uninjured playing the minutes he's played in his career is truly astonishing. I watched some of his (LeBron's) workout videos and they really are punishing. I have issues with some of his play, decision-making, and temperament at times, but he truly is an astonishing athlete.

I was reading recently Kyrie has become vegan. Imagine the reaction a guy would have gotten in the 80s or 90s or even the early 00s for that? It would have been you need red meat, you need protein etc. Things have evolved (for the better). LeBron it seems has been ahead of the game for years on this.

It's all ifs, buts and maybes though as we'll never know.

Clippers down 30+ At one stage and eventually lose by 26.......to the Mavericks.

Time to go Doc. And take Austin with you.

• Advertisement

Some 3rd quarter by GS last night v the Heat (they seem to save their best play for 3rd quarters this year). Just watched the full game and when they're rolling they're just a joy to watch.

Edit: oh forgot to mention this earlier check out the ref ejecting Livingston in that game. Crazy behaviour from Livingston, but I see both player and ref have been suspended.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement