Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2017-18

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Some great dunks from the OKC - PHILLLY game last night.....Westbrook had a couple, Paul George had one, Simmons one nice alley oop; but the dunk of the night was Embiid over Russ:

Insane levels of athleticism from a guy that size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Some great dunks from the OKC - PHILLLY game last night.....Westbrook had a couple, Paul George had one, Simmons one nice alley oop; but the dunk of the night was Embiid over Russ:

Insane levels of athleticism from a guy that size.
    I watched the highlights this morning it looked like a pretty good game and they definatly dont like each other after their first meeting. I wonder what seed philly would be if they could finish out games better, they could have won ten more Id say if they were better in the 4th quarter.

Okc have gone from looking a mess to pretty decent in the last 2 months. Melo seems to be settling into his role as 3rd man better lately and George is the ultimate 2nd man to have on your team, the guy can do it all. Russ is back in MVP form as well. Only 2 games back from the 3 seed in the west now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/958120746169053184
    The Clippers and Pistons have agreed on a deal to trade Blake Griffin for Tobias Harris, Avery Bradley, Boban Marjanovic, a first-round and a second-round draft pick, league sources tell ESPN.

Clippers are blowing it up, expected them to stick it out after coming this far. I'd expect DJ and Lou will be off next.

Couldn’t sleep and as I checked the time on my phone I saw that on Twitter. Why pay him last summer then trade him now for a very poor return (initial reaction, I may change my mind on it)?

Found this in the replies to the Woj tweet:
    https://twitter.com/echelonnyk/status/958120322099765249

Obviously old but I hadn’t seen it before...
    :pac:

I think the Pistons got raided to be honest. They will probably get to the playoffs if blake stays on the court but that squad is going nowhere. Blake, Drummond and Jackson is not exactly going to rock the east.

The clippers are in good shape now with some quality players like Bradley, Beverly, Teodosic and Harris plus they will have 2 first round picks and whatever else they can get if they trade Williams and Jordan( they should). They can be in a nice position for the next few years. Im not great with picking coaches to be honest but Id get Rivers out of there at the end of the season.

Having sat with the BG trade for less than 24hours I'm coming around to it. Given his salary, injury-history and clearly declining athleticism I actually think it's a good deal for the Clippers. I'm assuming part 2 is to trade DeAndre and blow it up completely. I assume Jerry West is behind it too, rather than Doc in any way, shape or form.

4 takeaways from it:
    1. VERY cynical (but smart in hindsight) move from the Clipps to give him the max without the no-trade clause last summer. The alternative was to let him walk for nothing; at least now they have some pieces on good contracts (ish) that they can do stiff with - whether that's keep them or trade again/waive etc.
    2. Detroit have actually done ok out of it if he stays healthy as they gave up very little (they got Tobias on the cheap remember, and Bradley was a half season gamble that hasn't really worked).
    3. Griffin (given how much he seems top love LA) will hate Detroit. Hate it.
    4. AT LEAST THEY GOT TO KEEP THE JEWEL IN THE CROWN AUSTIN RIVERS! :pac:

Gregk961 wrote: »
    I think the Pistons got raided to be honest. They will probably get to the playoffs if blake stays on the court but that squad is going nowhere. Blake, Drummond and Jackson is not exactly going to rock the east.

The clippers are in good shape now with some quality players like Bradley, Beverly, Teodosic and Harris plus they will have 2 first round picks and whatever else they can get if they trade Williams and Jordan( they should). They can be in a nice position for the next few years. Im not great with picking coaches to be honest but Id get Rivers out of there at the end of the season.

Word is they're looking to do another trade - that was Part 1 of 2 apparently!

A Clippers defensive backcourt of Bradly and Beverly would be interesting, though again, talk of Bradley being moved on again (potentially to the Cavs).

Rivers should be gone - and I say this as a Boston fan. He's been terrible when you really analyse it - makes me really question what value he actually had in the Boston Championship team that he coached. I read a lot of sports autobiographies and I've read a lot of England Rugby Team and Clive Woodward's role in their World Cup win. Martin Johnson and Lawrence Dallaglio's % of credit they attribute to Woodward's role in it is considerably different from that of Woodward's own version shall we say. I wonder if you really pushed the Celtics players on it what their opinion would be?

And that's before we talk about Austin.

Harden was the first 60 point triple double in NBA history.

Love breaks his hand and out 6-8 weeks; but more importantly for Cleveland really messes up their trade options. Terribly unfortunate timing for all concerned - at this stage I’d imagine Love would want out of there.

Wall to have a minor knee procedure; no return to play timeline yet. Wizards could miss the playoffs depending on how long he’s out, or be better without him - who knows?

Drummond subbed for Wall in the ASG, deservedly so. I'd say it'll be Simmons/Dragic in for Love now.

I notice the media, who unanimously chastised KD for leaving OKC last year, are now up in arms about players being treated like pawns getting traded away. I agree that players get a raw deal sometimes but it seems very hypocritical that KD was and still is mocked for joining the Warriors by the same people horrified by the Clippers trading Blake.

I havnt supported an NBA team since I was a lot younger and consider myself a fan of the game not any team but I would be outraged at some recent trades if I was a fan of certain teams. Specifically Griffen and Isaiah Thomas have shown how ruthless these organisations are.

• Advertisement

Gregk961 wrote: »
    I notice the media, who unanimously chastised KD for leaving OKC last year, are now up in arms about players being treated like pawns getting traded away. I agree that players get a raw deal sometimes but it seems very hypocritical that KD was and still is mocked for joining the Warriors by the same people horrified by the Clippers trading Blake.

I havnt supported an NBA team since I was a lot younger and consider myself a fan of the game not any team but I would be outraged at some recent trades if I was a fan of certain teams. Specifically Griffen and Isaiah Thomas have shown how ruthless these organisations are.

I see your point...but there's not many Boston fans NOW (maybe not at the time of the trade) who'd perfer Thomas over Kyrie. I'm a Boston fan and I thought they gave too much at the time, now it looks like a steal. The reality is however if Kyrie didn't want out of the Cavs that trade never happens and Thomas is a still a Boston player. It was an opportunity thing. And don't forget Boston weren't even on his "these are the only 4 teams I will accept a trade to" list! At the time there were a lot of Boston fans who were incensed that they were letting Thomas go AND incensed that they were getting Kyrie back.

The Griffin thing sits less easily with me as they properly played him.

There was some outrage alright at the KD move, but LeBron ("I've never played on a superteam") James really started all of this....and ultimately yes, there is no loyalty. It wasn't unanimous though, there were quote a few commentators that I listen to at least that said he was doing what's best for him and fair play etc. - not everyone was condemning it.

I see your point...but there's not many Boston fans NOW (maybe not at the time of the trade) who'd perfer Thomas over Kyrie. I'm a Boston fan and I thought they gave too much at the time, now it looks like a steal. The reality is however if Kyrie didn't want out of the Cavs that trade never happens and Thomas is a still a Boston player. It was an opportunity thing. And don't forget Boston weren't even on his "these are the only 4 teams I will accept a trade to" list! At the time there were a lot of Boston fans who were incensed that they were letting Thomas go AND incensed that they were getting Kyrie back.

The Griffin thing sits less easily with me as they properly played him.

There was some outrage alright at the KD move, but LeBron ("I've never played on a superteam") James really started all of this....and ultimately yes, there is no loyalty. It wasn't unanimous though, there were quote a few commentators that I listen to at least that said he was doing what's best for him and fair play etc. - not everyone was condemning it.

I could be remembering the Durant backlash wrong in fairness, but I'm pretty sure most media outlets held a dim view of Durant going to golden state. Personally I was disappointed at the move because of how unstoppable it made the GSW, but I understood Durant and his reasons. A lot of articles attacked KDs character for abandoning OKC.

The IT trade really bugged me during the summer, the guy had an amazing season and led(offensively at least) his team to the 1 seed and played some great ball in the playoffs. The moment Kyrie becomes available its bye bye Isaiah. I understand why the front office would trade up for Kyrie, he is a better player, but from a fans perspective I would have been seriously annoyed. Its not like Boston is starved of championships. The move just rubbed me the wrong way.

Griffin got ruthlessly shafted. It was a good trade for the Clippers long term but I would be disgusted as a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Off actual sport but, the whole IT/Kyrie trade reminded me of the time Liverpool sold John Alderidge to Real Sociedad around 1990. Never followed the club with the same enthusiasm since. Great and great and all as Kyrie is, I agree that it's looking like an absolute steal. I think most people were put out about it because IT played through such personal pain after he lost his sister. That kind of self sacrifice is long remembered by Boston fans. That's why IT will always have a place in Boston's hearts, unlike Ray Allen who seems determined to undo what legacy he has there. And on another note, ESPN are reporting this morning that LeBron would be open to FA talks with the Warriors. Sure who else would ya be talking to anyway???

rushfan wrote: »
    Off actual sport but, the whole IT/Kyrie trade reminded me of the time Liverpool sold John Alderidge to Real Sociedad around 1990. Never followed the club with the same enthusiasm since. Great and great and all as Kyrie is, I agree that it's looking like an absolute steal. I think most people were put out about it because IT played through such personal pain after he lost his sister. That kind of self sacrifice is long remembered by Boston fans. That's why IT will always have a place in Boston's hearts, unlike Ray Allen who seems determined to undo what legacy he has there. And on another note, ESPN are reporting this morning that LeBron would be open to FA talks with the Warriors. Sure who else would ya be talking to anyway???

Well he’s never played on a superteam!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Well he’s never played on a superteam!

Maybe he'll join up with your good friend Austin!!!!

Maybe he'll join up with your good friend Austin!!!!

LeBron and Austin Rivers together, coached by Doc, would be the best 2 player combo in league history. They’d be so good that they wouldn’t need teammates, it’d be 2 v 5 and they’d still beat everyone. The only barrier is the league would have to up the salary cap to make sure Austin got paid enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Just saw the video of Isiah Canaan's injury, another freak broken leg!

And on another note, ESPN are reporting this morning that LeBron would be open to FA talks with the Warriors. Sure who else would ya be talking to anyway???

I assumed this would be impossible to make happen. They have to do 2 things to make it so:
    1. Get KD to take $2m less next year in his negotiations
    2. Move Shawn Livingston and his contract
    That's it. :eek:

I don't think I'd watch that. Would be a joke and make a mockery of the League. And show what a "ring chaser no matter what anyone thinks of my legacy" he is.

I really hope GS say "nah, we're good bruh".

Seems like fantasy stuff to me. It was more than likely a throwaway comment by somebody from LeBrons camp that the media has blown out of all proportion because people believe this kind of crap and want to read/watch about it.

He is the best player in the world but what would he really add to the Warriors. They would almost certainly win championships but thats already the case. Just seems like a fairly pointless move to throw a superstar into a team that already has 4 superstars.

• Advertisement

Ahh there's no way Kd would go to the warriors that would break the league and why would you go to the team that your trying to beat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

For anyone interested there's a very good Coach Nick/BBall breakdown video on "the problem with assists" (or something like that) that i watched within the last week or so that I meant to post about but forgot. In bed and on the phone so can'\t post the link now, but it was very interesting in a nerdy way.

Paully D wrote: »

It got enough traction to be posted pretty much everywhere....incl. The Ringer (which he owns!).

It got enough traction to be posted pretty much everywhere....incl. The Ringer (which he owns!).

LeBron owns The Ringer?

But then... the Curse... OH GODS!

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    LeBron owns The Ringer?

But then... the Curse... OH GODS!

Simmons!

• Advertisement

Mirotic to the Pelicans for Asik and a first rounder. Let the tank begin!
    Good trade for both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,401 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think it's way too early to consider the IT / Kyrie trade as a "steal" one way or another. IT is back playing and easing his way towards full utilization. Ultimately this trade's impact will be demonstrated in the playoffs. And, irrespective of the short term of this season, Cleveland banked a lot of assets that may prove crucial to their franchise post LeBron. As such, it is a complex deal that needs to be considered from many angles. But bottom line is that the short term competitive ramifications will be adjudged after the Eastern Conference Championships.

Mirotic to the Pelicans for Asik and a first rounder. Let the tank begin!
    Good trade for both.

Amazing trade for both!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I think it's way too early to consider the IT / Kyrie trade as a "steal" one way or another. IT is back playing and easing his way towards full utilization. Ultimately this trade's impact will be demonstrated in the playoffs. And, irrespective of the short term of this season, Cleveland banked a lot of assets that may prove crucial to their franchise post LeBron. As such, it is a complex deal that needs to be considered from many angles. But bottom line is that the short term competitive ramifications will be adjudged after the Eastern Conference Championships.

Normally I'd agree but I don't really think it is too early in this case. The Celtics got a younger and better player, with a higher ceiling cheaper than what it would have cost them to pay an injured Thomas.

I don't think you can judge it on who wins the East either to be fair as that's equally complex and multi-faceted....and you know Cleveland are going to make some move before the trade deadline. It's certainly not as simple as if Celtics win the East they win the trade...or vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Anyone notice, similar story in the East this year, Cavs in chaos, Kevin Love blamed for most of it as usual..lol Raptors and Celtics tipped to beat Cavs this year

I will admit Celtics have been on a steady improvement the past few years and definitely have a major chance of winning East, they are a really good team but people should never write off LeBron

• Advertisement

I'd love the Celtics or Raps to win the East, a series between the two will be great, but Lebron's track record means we won't know the real Cavs until the playoffs really.

Anyone notice, similar story in the East this year, Cavs in chaos, Kevin Love blamed for most of it as usual..lol Raptors and Celtics tipped to beat Cavs this year

On the above...I posted this 10days ago:
    Was reading that earlier this morning. Once again Love is the scapegoat. FFS. Guy is being seriously under-utilised and under-used in the Cavs system, despite this is playing at around All Star level and yet is being challenged by his teammates who are not putting up his numbers. Love is averaging 18.6pts and 9.4rbs per game this year btw.

Genuine question: I wonder if he was black would he be constantly challenged in this way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

On the above...I posted this 10days ago:
    Was reading that earlier this morning. Once again Love is the scapegoat. FFS. Guy is being seriously under-utilised and under-used in the Cavs system, despite this is playing at around All Star level and yet is being challenged by his teammates who are not putting up his numbers. Love is averaging 18.6pts and 9.4rbs per game this year btw.

Genuine question: I wonder if he was black would he be constantly challenged in this way?

It is a bit bewildering st the abuse Love gets some times, easy target and all that.

On a side note, crazy how much the NBA has hijacked Super Bowl week to a certain extent with various headlines, the LeBron rumors really took the spotlight off NFL for a few days

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

It is a bit bewildering st the abuse Love gets some times, easy target and all that.

On a side note, crazy how much the NBA has hijacked Super Bowl week to a certain extent with various headlines, the LeBron rumors really took the spotlight off NFL for a few days

Silver would love some sort of three team mega trade with a few superstars to emerge tomorrow afternoon!

I've said it before and I'll say it again he's on the wrong team and is a far better player than he looks in Cleveland. Boston were in the mix for him a few years ago hen he ultimately went to the Cavs and I really wish that trade came off. Were I any team in the league I'd be interested in Love. He's not suited to the Cavs system or playing in leBron's shadow IMO, and I think were he in a different system or under a better coach he'd look better almost instantly. You're buying low on Love right now if you trade for him but the injury has probably killed any chance of him being moved. He needs a change of scenery for sure.

Celtics shopping Marcus Smart and Denver looking like a possible destination. I'd be sad to see him go tbh but depends what's coming back on how much the blow would be softened.

Next few days will (likely) be busy. Here's the latest:

The Clippers are still listening to offers on DeAndre Jordan and have heard from the Rockets, Bucks, Wizards and Blazers, ESPN’s Zach Lowe reports. Wojnarowski said on Lowe’s podcast, though, that the Blazers have “backed away a bit” from their pursuit of Jordan. Lowe also said the Blazers have been rejecting offers for Damian Lillard and C.J. McCollum.

• The Magic are willing trade anyone besides Jonathon Isaac and Aaron Gordon, with Elfrid Payton the most likely to be traded. (ESPN)

• The Jazz are open to moving everyone but Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell and are trying to acquire Avery Bradley from the Clippers. (The Ringer)

• The Cavs are “trying hard” to dump Tristan Thompson and J.R. Smith’s salaries. (USA Today)

• The Cavs don’t want to trade the Nets’ first-round pick. (New York Post)

• LeBron James has no interest in waiving his no-trade clause to leave Cleveland before the season is over. (Yahoo)

• The Wizards are listening to offers on Marcin Gortat. (ESPN)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Porzingis lost for the season. Torn ACL. Well, yet another Knick's season gone. Need to do well in the draft.

Porzingis is hurt a lot. A lot of these 'ultra tall' guys that are thin seem that way - Sean Bradley, Bol, ... Can't take the pounding. And Porzingis misses too many games to be the franchise imo.

Who knows, maybe they'll run Noah out there FWIW.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Porzingis lost for the season. Torn ACL. Well, yet another Knick's season gone. Need to do well in the draft.

Porzingis is hurt a lot. A lot of these 'ultra tall' guys that are thin seem that way - Sean Bradley, Bol, ... Can't take the pounding. And Porzingis misses too many games to be the franchise imo.

Who knows, maybe they'll run Noah out there FWIW.

Yup, very sad for him.

Btw, did you see Giannis jump over Hardaway? On mobile but google/YouTube it. It’s :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Yup, very sad for him.

Btw, did you see Giannis jump over Hardaway? On mobile but google/YouTube it. It’s :eek:

Hardaway bruised his shin in the same game, too. Why do I even bother to follow this team. I guess I still have fond memories of the Ewing era and the amazing run they did when Latrell Spreewell was there, to the Finals. But, heck, that was 1999!

That dunk was sick. Clyde was impressed.

• Advertisement

Judging this only on the box score but Cleveland were down 3 at the start of the 4th last night, were outscored by 15 in the 4th to lose by 18 to ORLANDO.

They had quarters of 43, 24, 22 and 9. They scored 31points in the 2nd half. And again, to ORLANDO.

I'd love to have heard LeBron after the game.....

Beat down for Boston in Toronto, I'd be worried in a Play Off series as the Raptors are playing very well to be fair and improving as the season goes on. Boston looking shaky lately - even when they've won they haven't been great.

OKC beat up GS too. Wouldn't be as worried obviously for GS, but no-one will want to play OKC in the Play Offs - when they're good, they're very good.

Anyone notice how tight the middle to bottom is in both conferences this year:
    East: 1 game between 3-7 seeds.
    West: 3 games between 5-8 seeds.

Injuries driving some of that. Is it just me or does it fell like there are more injuries than usual this year?

zZYyEkT.jpg

BUT WHY DID THE NBA GODS HAVE TO TAKE OUT PORZINGOD??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

^^^ My new background pic. The man is supreme

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    zZYyEkT.jpg

BUT WHY DID THE NBA GODS HAVE TO TAKE OUT PORZINGOD??

Hardaway is 6'6" btw. :eek:

Willy Hernangomez to Charloote for Johnny O'Bryant and 2 second rounders. O'Bryant to be waived.

A giant "Meh" all round.

LeBron with a 37 point triple double (15 assists) last night and an awesome closing sequence blocking Butler and then owning him for the buzzer beating game winner.

Yeah the Cavs have looked bad recently and don't seem to be able to close a deal that will help them but if LeBron turns it on in the playoffs like last year they'll be just as tough an out in the East.

Porzingis was slightly improved on a decent increase in usage this year. This type of injury a big set back though obviously. He will miss the first couple of months next year and there's a chance he isn't quite the same again. No craic being a Knicks fan.

It's starting to kick off.

Cavs trading IT, Frye, and their own first round pick to the Lakers for Nance and Clarkson.

https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/961647863137644544

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Wow. Does IT really suck that much since the hip injury?

Kyrie is wetting himself somewhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement