Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Options

Comments

Billy86 wrote: »
    I think he's being so open and honest about it, and it's somewhat of a unique situation in that he's a ripped-to-shreds 250+lb former NFL linebacker which is pretty eye opening, that if anything it will help his career. Which would be a silver lining he deserves, never really found him particularly funny or whatnot but he comes over as a really genuine and likable person.

That's why I found his sexual abuse most odd - probably more odd than any of the other allegations that've come out. The dude is built like a brick house. And, as you said, a former American Football star -- you must be on some serious power trip (or at least feel indestructible) to think it a good idea to grope him like he was.

And for it to happen in front of his wife!

He's fantastic in Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5105401/Disney-Animation-Pixar-chief-John-Lasseter-taking-leave.html

This one legitimately hurts-it's pretty much our childhoods ruined, and many careers ruined too.

For those who don't know, John Lasseter is head of animation development at Disney, having directed the first Toy Story movie, and developing Pixar from the ground up.

Apparently, he had asked Rashida Jones to co-write Toy Story 4. She quit due to the many unwanted advances that he made. And apparently he had a habit of it, women had a move they used called 'The Lasseter' to avoid his groping.

Won't lie-most other accusations shocked, this one hurt, really hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

More childhoods ruined.

Nick Carter from the Backsreet Boys accused of rape by singer in an all girl band called Dream.

She wrote about it in a blog post earlier today, apparently it happened in 2002.

Interestingly, it also came out recently enough that he was accused of forcing a 20-year-old fan to give him oral sex in 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

More childhoods ruined.

Nick Carter from the Backsreet Boys accused of rape by singer in an all girl band called Dream.

She wrote about it in a blog post earlier today, apparently it happened in 2002.

Interestingly, it also came out recently enough that he was accused of forcing a 20-year-old fan to give him oral sex in 2006.

I wish I could say I was surprised-but the Carter bros always came across as scummy.

Rashida Jones has stated that Lasseter made no advances on her, instead it was a disagreement over opinions and philosophy-like not enough women or black women are given a chance at Pixar.
    http://deadline.com/2017/11/rashida-jones-claims-toy-story-4-john-lasseter-1202213672/

I dunno what to make of the Lasseter allegations-clearly they were more than 'hugs'-but he's not in Weinstein or Spacey's league.
    Maybe Jones was just angry how this was allowed perpetuate, and I'm sure since the Louis CK revelations...she's probably angry he was allowed on her show, Parks and Rec.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/john-lasseter-pixar-disney-whisper-network-1202620960/

Yea, he definitely doesn't seem the same level as others, but he's essentially lost his job over it regardless. Should he have? Based on the allegations so far, I'd say no. It says "6 months leave" but is it ever just that?

You have to wonder how his departure will affect Disney animation. Under his ownership, the company has had another golden age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

The Gilbert / Stone thing seems a bit suspicious, in terms of Stone explaining the situation. It doesn't look like an exploitative situation. If anyone has seen the Doors movie, there is a pretty raunchy scene but it's mostly male nudity rather than overtly female. The fact there was a (female) casting agent present, and all the other actresses had to do the same thing, sort of negates her complaint.

Lasseter and the hugging? Are we at the stage now where anyone who has been slighted in any way is now using #metoo as an excuse to gain revenge?

And yes, Terry Crews is fantastic in Brooklyn 99. Just goes to show you that "power" doesn't often have to mean physical size.

The Nick Carter blog post actually makes for pretty upsetting reading, considering she was a virgin by choice and he took that away from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Lasseter and the hugging? Are we at the stage now where anyone who has been slighted in any way is now using #metoo as an excuse to gain revenge?

This is clearly a workplace issue and one that was raised and dealt with internally, and because of his status and popularity outside of the company, had to be acknowledged that he was stepping away publicly. I don't know if the stories were floating around off the #metoo bandwagon but it does sound like it was something that was dealt with in legitimate fashion, rather than publicly name and shame into submission.

This is clearly a workplace issue and one that was raised and dealt with internally, and because of his status and popularity outside of the company, had to be acknowledged that he was stepping away publicly. I don't know if the stories were floating around off the #metoo bandwagon but it does sound like it was something that was dealt with in legitimate fashion, rather than publicly name and shame into submission.

TBH it's a tough one. If the rumours of his showering affection on younger female workers, then it would create a toxic work environment and, really, you'd have to wonder how far it went.

I don't know about whether it should have lead outside of the work environment, but, if true, then stepping down was possibly the right choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

That's why I found his sexual abuse most odd - probably more odd than any of the other allegations that've come out. The dude is built like a brick house. And, as you said, a former American Football star -- you must be on some serious power trip (or at least feel indestructible) to think it a good idea to grope him like he was.

And for it to happen in front of his wife!

He's fantastic in Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

It's what a predator does and yes gives us insight into how infallible these power brokers feel.

He copped a feel in plain sight.

Crews is in a lose-lose situation. He either doesn't react immediately and reports it to the police who question the producer who then retaliates by blacklisting Crews and smearing his reputation as a trouble maker, something Crews didn't do because he understood that implicitly.

Or, Crews immediately and understandably socks the guy and get's into even more trouble. His reputation then becoming 'He's a hot head, a bully, a loose canon' etc. His profile is affected and future work is affected. The credibility of the producer and his personal morals are gone considering he thinks nothing of groping people like Crews. A sociopathic liar, he could claim that what had 'actually' happened in this case was per his Lawyers (even more liars) he went to shake Crews hand but somehow 'missed the intended target of Crews hand' and made 'unintentional contact' with his 'general genital area' after which Crews decked him. If anyone, including Crews wife, claimed otherwise, he'd sue them up to the eye balls about defamation etc knowing it would be unduly time consuming and expensive for them. He'd play the victim no two ways about that. Ironically, this guy himself felt untouchable but abuse comes in a variety of guises of which this is one.

The same predatory behavior is seen with Al Porter. He went into the toilets and copped a feel of people in there. No cctv. His word against yours. And as with Crews you either say nothing and move on, enabling Porter all the more, or you react violently and subsequently find yourself charged for assault. And deep down you know that while you are destroyed, you have a predatory abusive individual appearing on the Late Late playing the victim of a homophobic attack, who will get great mileage out of how he is more 'anxious', 'depressed' etc, getting more public sympathy, raising his profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Is creepy Joe Biden off limits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,597 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Didn't Oliver Stone defend Harvey Weinstein and Roman Polanski?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

mad muffin wrote: »
    Is creepy Joe Biden off limits?
    Think the focus is on Al Franken and Roy Moore at the moment.

It's bonkers that all this is happening but Trump is still in the Oval Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

And has now defended Roy Moore.

Sure Clinton got two terms.

Penn wrote: »
    And has now defended Roy Moore.

I mean, he defended f*cking Nazis, so are you really all that surprised that he's defending a f*cking pedo?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It's bonkers the sun rose this morning and that clown is still in the Oval Office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Sure Clinton got two terms.

The Lewinsky Scandal didn't break until mid-way through the second term.

Fair point. Seems to be increased scrutiny on his indiscretions these days.

And wasn't it more "fooling around" than abuse / rape / harassment? Lewinsky seemed like a willing participant. I know there were other women, but I'm not sure what he was accused of in those cases.

Trump is ON RECORD saying he would force himself on women.

edit: Just looked it up, and this stood out (about the accusations about Clinton):As part of the ongoing negotiations, the attorneys for the women are asking for substantial payouts in return for their clients' silence. (source: Daily Mail).

Isn't that a bit suspicious, that they are looking for money first and foremost?

• Advertisement

And wasn't it more "fooling around" than abuse / rape / harassment? Lewinsky seemed like a willing participant. I know there were other women, but I'm not sure what he was accused of in those cases.

There were other accusations with Bill, Juanita Broaddrick and Paula Jones to name two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

It was a consensual relationship but given the age difference and the power imbalance (with him being her boss, and the president) it was deeply inappropriate, regardless of him being married or not.

There are also other allegations against Clinton, and he and Hilary came down on those women like a tonne of Weinstein.

I was reading an article in the NYT the other day that basically saw the incident as the ground zero of the insanely partisan politics in the states that's lead to the current omnishambles; the Republicans saw an opening and went for him, and the Democrats, because they were accusations coming from "the other guys" reflexively defended him and dismissed the whole thing as a moralistic witch hunt.

I was about seven when it all happened so I dunno.

Think the focus is on Al Franken and Roy Moore at the moment.

This guys sex pest ways are documented on film and not a word is said :confused:

He was on the late show and Colbert never mentioned a word of it, yet he’s grilling Moore every day (which is fine but why ignore Biden?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

This guys sex pest ways are documented on film and not a word is said :confused:

He was on the late show and Colbert never mentioned a word of it, yet he’s grilling Moore every day (which is fine but why ignore Biden?)

The Joe Biden clips you're referring to have the credibility of those clips that "proved" Clinton was dying or pizzagate conspiracies... No accusations have been made against him btw so YouTube conspiracies don't cut it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

It was a consensual relationship but given the age difference and the power imbalance (with him being her boss, and the president) it was deeply inappropriate, regardless of him being married or not.

There are also other allegations against Clinton, and he and Hilary came down on those women like a tonne of Weinstein.

I was reading an article in the NYT the other day that basically saw the incident as the ground zero of the insanely partisan politics in the states that's lead to the current omnishambles; the Republicans saw an opening and went for him, and the Democrats, because they were accusations coming from "the other guys" reflexively defended him and dismissed the whole thing as a moralistic witch hunt.

I was about seven when it all happened so I dunno.

And one of the main instigators was the bastion of morality, Newt Gingrich.
    Also funny how the people pushing pizzagate are now defending Moore, another self proclaimed bastion of morality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭Christy42

Is this the one where he maliciously touches a girl on the shoulder while guiding her to the right location for a photo?!? I saw that video and there was nothing sexual about it. Was there another I have missed?

Pretty sure that Moore is accused of a bit more than that.

All the Biden stuff seems to come from the conspiracy theory ultra rightys, I've never seen anything inappropriate in their so-called 'proof'. Throw enough mud and you never know what might stick seems to be the hope there.

Disney guy didn't manhandle Rashida Jones, she says they parted ways because she was pushing for more diversity and not getting it, not because he assaulted her. He seems to have form with other women, but its not the case with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

pitifulgod wrote: »
    The Joe Biden clips you're referring to have the credibility of those clips that "proved" Clinton was dying or pizzagate conspiracies... No accusations have been made against him btw so YouTube conspiracies don't cut it...
    Christy42 wrote: »
    Is this the one where he maliciously touches a girl on the shoulder while guiding her to the right location for a photo?!? I saw that video and there was nothing sexual about it. Was there another I have missed?

Pretty sure that Moore is accused of a bit more than that.
    Candie wrote: »
    All the Biden stuff seems to come from the conspiracy theory ultra rightys, I've never seen anything inappropriate in their so-called 'proof'. Throw enough mud and you never know what might stick seems to be the hope there.

Disney guy didn't manhandle Rashida Jones, she says they parted ways because she was pushing for more diversity and not getting it, not because he assaulted her. He seems to have form with other women, but its not the case with her.

You guys are totally insane. You know that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

You guys are totally insane. You know that?

Do you believe in Pizzagate too? Roy Moore has numerous accusation against him, Biden has youtube videos by conspiracy theorists...

Advertisement