Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭Christy42

So you're okay with an innocent man losing his job and reputation as a result of a false allegation?

Are you ok with victims being forced to hide because of potential public humiliation?

See two can play that game.

No I am not ok with innocent people being punished but I am also not ok with victims feeling the need to be silent.

Do you have a perfect system to avoid either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Today's latest installment of the lunacy "ban Sleeping Beauty for the non-consensual kiss".

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mum-calls-sleeping-beauty-taken-11568729

I hope there are aliens - they can't do any worse!

Christy42 wrote: »
    Are you ok with victims being forced to hide because of potential public humiliation?

See two can play that game.

No I am not ok with innocent people being punished but I am also not ok with victims feeling the need to be silent.

Do you have a perfect system to avoid either?

Yes. Full anonymity for all sexually related crimes and the end to automatically believing the alleged victim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

Things have taken a very bizarre twist for the Democratic senator, Al Franken, who has now been accused of sexual misconduct by at least 4 women.

In all of this, 36 female staff members from the show Saturday Night Live have penned a letter defending Franken.
    The cognitive dissonance is strong with this one. The women have come in for some well deserved criticism for their actions, it must be noted.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5103943/SNL-s-female-writers-defend-Al-Franken.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/11/22/two-more-women-say-franken-touched-them-inappropriately-huffpost-reports/890830001/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I am pretty sure the point of the tweet is that it is worth it if it brings down the number of sexual assault either by outing current offenders or by showing future potential offenders that they won't get away with it.

The numbers for each are up for debate but assuming that the number of false accusations is low which this tweeter does and that there are a lot of victims that currently don't speak up (valid assumption as recent events have shown that plenty felt the need to keep quiet before the metoo/Weinstein stuff). In this regard the tweet is pretty valid and I can see the frustration that a backlash has emerged against people starting to fix what was/is a serious problem.

As I said the number of false allegations is up for debate. Aside from that though the logic is sound.

What logic? The logic that it's okay for "innocent men" to lose their jobs solely on an allegation that she doesn't seem to care is false? You know she said that right- "I'm okay with innocent men losing their jobs."

She sounds utterly fcuking barmy. I know these are precarious times but talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water.
    I am not at all okay with the idea an innocent person could lose their job over false claims. To think anything else is just being totally blind to basic fairness and justice.
    Thankfully she sounds like enough of a looney for people to ignore her and hope she goes away.

• Advertisement

But Anna080 it might make someone realise that the consensual fumble they had at the Trinity Ball in 2003 was actually assault!!!!

Who cares if a member of the oppressing classes is inconvenienced by being sacked, vilified and suicidal????

Smash the Patriarchy!!!

/sarcasm

I now feel like a shower after typing that garbage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Today's latest installment of the lunacy "ban Sleeping Beauty for the non-consensual kiss".

It's the mirror! 'Sleeping Beauty' is probably age appropriate reading for them.

cloudatlas wrote: »

It's the mirror! 'Sleeping Beauty' is probably age appropriate reading for them.

The Mail is frowned upon, I wouldn't look at the S** if my life depended on it a d i don't get the Chicago Sun-Times.

Story is still true though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

But Anna080 it might make someone realise that the consensual fumble they had at the Trinity Ball in 2003 was actually assault!!!!

Who cares if a member of the oppressing classes is inconvenienced by being sacked, vilified and suicidal????

Smash the Patriarchy!!!

/sarcasm

That tweet was a very rare opinion so there really is no point in jumping on it to try and aid you persecution complex.

cloudatlas wrote: »

Smash the Patriarchy!!!

/sarcasm

That tweet was a very rare opinion so there really is no point in jumping on it to try and aid you persecution complex.

You're funny!!!

• Advertisement

Yes. Full anonymity for all sexually related crimes and the end to automatically believing the alleged victim.

Please state how this would help the people who have been victims? Certainly they don't seem to trust it and with full anonymity all those celebs named would still be working. Given a fair few have admitted what they have done I ask again how this would help the victims-remember that this is nearly automatically a he said/they said situation and so near impossible to prove in a court of law.

Trust me. The victim s are frequently not automatically believed as is and plenty have been accused of lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Wibbs wrote: »
    Seems to be the gist alright. Evil Men (c) and all that. Let's switch it around.... I'm actually not at all concerned if a few raped women have their stories ignored if it saves the reputations of even just a few good men. The smelling salts would be needed after a tweet like that.

This Lindin wan is clearly a muppet who has drunk deep from the well of modern "feminism" and the "equality" mask slipped, that's all. The usual nonsense is trotted out. The "half the population is oppressed" by the "Patriarchy". Id est; the usual "feminist" worldview filter of women are always agentless victims and men are always to blame. As I've noted before this never fails to fit the "feminist" rhetoric de jour.

In this idiot's tweets she expands on this by essentially setting out her stall that men are the oppressors so no man is truly innocent, so who cares if a blameless man gets trampled? I also love the gargantuan ego on this idiot where she says this is a price she's willing to pay. Really? You wouldn't have to pay anything, you silly cow.

It's amazing how fast she tried to backtrack on whose rights its ok to sacrifice when the fact more black men get accused of rape than white men was brought up. This fools stance that all men are just evil coz "reasons" so its ok to screw them over, except if its non white men coz that would be racism "reasons" and that would be wrong and also the deffo no taking sides if its anything to do with high school/college kids coz that's problematic due to how many fake claims have come to light "reasons" is just outstanding!

The mental gymnastics it must take for this asshole to believe the crap she spouts is just staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,597 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A woman has chosen to come forward as one of the women accusing Danny Masterson of rape.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/danny-masterson-rape-accuser-comes-forward-to-blast-netflix-we-do-matter?via=twitter_page

Has Danny Masterson still a show on Netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Please state how this would help the people who have been victims? Certainly they don't seem to trust it and with full anonymity all those celebs named would still be working. Given a fair few have admitted what they have done I ask again how this would help the victims-remember that this is nearly automatically a he said/they said situation and so near impossible to prove in a court of law.

Trust me. The victim s are frequently not automatically believed as is and plenty have been accused of lying.

So you believe there is a right answer to the question of who is more acceptable to be thrown under the bus - innocent victims of crimes or innocent victims of false accusations?

cantdecide wrote: »
    So you believe there is a right answer to the question of who is more acceptable to be thrown under the bus - innocent victims of crimes or innocent victims of false accusations?

I do not. I am just less quick to judge someone who veers heavily towards the victims of false allegations.

I don't fully agree with the statement but I can see why someone would be frustrated and make it. Plus there does seem to be more evidence of unreported assaults than false victims. However both are difficult to measure in any real terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Smash the Patriarchy!!!

/sarcasm

Except thats not really going to happen is it? It's far more likely that someone doesn't report an actual assault. But don't let the facts get in the way or anything

Yes, even in a case where dozens of women have come forward with similar stories about the same person, indicating a clear modus operandi , they are probably still lying the bitches.

Even if they aren't lying if they didn't fight the guy off or if they took a settlement rather than have their private lives dragged through the court for all to see well then that's their fault too. Also, If they don't come forward they are responsible for any future assaults committed by the same perpetrator.

That's the gist of your arguments throughout this thread isnt it? Thank god for women like you, fighting the evils of feminism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

mad muffin wrote: »
    Okayyyy thennnnn…

Just so I get it right. Because the alt right have called him out on it it’s fake? Gotcha.

I’m no fan of Biden but there’s nothing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Yes, even in a case where dozens of women have come forward with similar stories about the same person, indicating a clear modus operandi , they are probably still lying the bitches.

Why misrepresent the user's tone like that?
    Even if they aren't lying if they didn't fight the guy off or if they took a settlement rather than have their private lives dragged through the court for all to see well then that's their fault too. Also, If they don't come forward they are responsible for any future assaults committed by the same perpetrator.

Getting sexually assaulted and then taking hush money absolutely contributes to a culture where the powerful get to do what they like without impunity.
    That's the gist of your arguments throughout this thread isnt it? Thank god for women like you, fighting the evils of feminism

But wasn't that one of the very things which Feminism* set out to dismantle, the idea that a woman's view wasn't given singular value the way a man's view was, but instead seen as being merely just a "woman's view"? Yet ironically, here you are implying that she has done something against feminism, when in actual fact the only one doing that is you, as you're suggesting she should have views which run more in line with that of other women.

*speaking of classical feminism obviously, not today's self indulgent victimhood obsessed muck.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Has Danny Masterson still a show on Netflix?
    That could get interesting. Given he's a member of the same "religion" as Tom Cruise and John Travolta(who's already had accusations of being handsy with male masseurs) and they go full on hard core when protecting their own.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Why misrepresent the user's tone like that?

Getting sexually assaulted and then taking hush money absolutely contributes to a culture where the powerful get to do what they like without impunity.

But wasn't that one of the very things which Feminism* set out to dismantle, the idea that a woman's view wasn't given singular value the way a man's view was, but instead seen as being merely just a "woman's view"? Yet ironically, here you are implying that she has done something against feminism, when in actual fact the only one doing that is you, as you're suggesting she should have views which run more in line with that of other women.

*speaking of classical feminism obviously, not today's self indulgent victimhood obsessed muck.

You don't have to be a feminist to not describe a rape as "performing sexual favours" and the victims as prostitutes and liars. Every single time. Im not suggesting she should have views more in line with other women, just that the constant victim blaming is unnecessary. The only reason I even mentioned feminism is because that poster feels the need to constantly mention it herself

I don't think I'm misrepresenting her tone tbh.

• Advertisement

It's not that her opinions are abhorrent to feminists, it's just that her opinions are simply abhorrent.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    The only reason I even mentioned feminism is because that poster feels the need to constantly mention it herself

Well, I think it's the elephant in the room tbh. Third wave feminism's influence on society is what is driving a lot of what we are seeing happening here. Some of what we see is of course for the good but there are many bad aspects to it all too. I do however quite like that some of the views these people espoused over the years like 'Believe All Women' are now biting them in the ass. As when it's men they know that are being accused, suddenly their philosophies, when not strictly adhered to, are getting them in trouble with the residents of their favourite echo chambers.

I would have major respect for Lena Dunham, and I think others would too, if she had come out and said: 'You know what, sometimes it's not always as simple as just believing women and I hadn't appreciated that before now' but instead she effectively begged for forgiveness and followed it with modern day feminist drivel, saying:
    "Under patriarchy, I believe you is essential. Until we are all believed, none of us will be believed. We apologise to any women who have been disappointed."

And who was she referring to when she spoke of disappointing people I wonder? Those who instantly treated her like a pariah because she had the audacity to say she believed a man maybe? Of course. So now she's back to her position of 'believing all women' again, apparently. Yeah right. Truth is she is being dishonest in the hope that the liberal left won't disown her completely.

Getting back to the user's point though:

What exactly is wrong with this view, as with respect, you never really addressed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Latest Instagram by Una Thurman. She seems to be alleging she's a victim of Harvey also?

ndI0zv4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Wibbs wrote: »
    That could get interesting. Given he's a member of the same "religion" as Tom Cruise and John Travolta(who's already had accusations of being handsy with male masseurs) and they go full on hard core when protecting their own.

Homosexuality is a "religion " now?

Jaysus, a bullet is too good for him?? You know what this means!!

No more public ****... :p

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

The whole thing is being set up by....

6797e3257bc99ba399af8c08baf0db6964328d733f726ed2acead5f849138cb1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Tigger wrote: »
    Homosexuality is a "religion " now?

Scientology. Danny Masterson is a Scientologist, like Cruise and Travolta.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

...she effectively begged for forgiveness...

Comrade Dunham has now realised her misunderstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

cantdecide wrote: »
    Comrade Dunham has now realised her misunderstanding.

Dunham is finished as a major, influential Feminist voice.

You should read the letter written by the now ex Lenny Letters author who knew Dunham in college. Zinzi Clemmons is her name. She just quit writing for the website because of the scandal.
    Zinzi's statement on Lena describes how she knew the actress much before she was famous, calling her strain of insensitive comments "hipster racism [...] which typically uses sarcasm as a cover, and in the end, it looks a lot like gaslighting– “It’s just a joke. Why are you overreacting?” is a common response to a lot of these statements."

https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/zinzi-clemmons-slams-lena-dunham-for-hipster-racism-news.39814.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I’m no fan of Biden but there’s nothing there.

Groping and trying to kiss young girls is nothing? Putting his hands on women is nothing? Making them feel uncomfortable is nothing?

Did I watch someone else do it? It wasn’t the former Vice President Joe Biden?

Advertisement