Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

1545556575860»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

I'm having trouble logging into my Cisco EPC3925. The login used to be

User Name : admin
    Password : W2402

But that no longer works. I've tried leaving both blank but that doesn't work. I tried Admin and blank password box , but that doesn't work. Do you guys have any suggestions. Here's the info from the login page of the box

Cisco EPC3925 EuroDocsis 3.0 2-PORT Voice Gateway

Model: Cisco EPC3925
    Vendor: Cisco
    Hardware Revision: 1.0
    Bootloader Revision: 2.3.0_R1
    Current Software Revision: e3925-ES-16-c1100r5593-140829c
    Firmware Name: e3925-ES-16-c1100r5593-140829c.bin
    Firmware Build Time: Aug 29 18:36:32 2014
    Cable Modem Status: Operational
    Wireless Network: Enable

I've removed the mac address because you don't need to know that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Can anybody provide any insight into this problem I'm having.
    Virgin media reps seem to be reading from a script...
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057800987/1#post105063920

I've read a lot of info about Virgin(liberty) re-routing/throttling connections, even some suggesting that they had stopped doing it.
    Should I buy the Archer C9 and set up the bridging mode?

I'm using the latest virgin media hub on a 240mb package.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Any one have any experience of this beast
    ASUS RT-AC88U AC3100 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019MKO43M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_qqq-zbFXXNHXD

Seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on it, to hopefully solve multiple problems...
    Generally better wifi

Try to extend my WiFi zone to the shed which is on a different electrical circuit (bro in law living with us for a few months and he's serious gaming hardware set up out there but can't get any WiFi)

Having 8 ports - have a load of devices that needs to be wired connected - ps4, tv, Denon receiver, sonos bridge, hue bridge, WD server etc. Have a gigabit port but some devices such as hue Bridge won't work properly unless connected to router directly.

Have hub 3.0 360mb

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Uriel. wrote: »
    Any one have any experience of this beast
    ASUS RT-AC88U AC3100 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019MKO43M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_qqq-zbFXXNHXD

Seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on it, to hopefully solve multiple problems...
    Generally better wifi

Try to extend my WiFi zone to the shed which is on a different electrical circuit (bro in law living with us for a few months and he's serious gaming hardware set up out there but can't get any WiFi)

Having 8 ports - have a load of devices that needs to be wired connected - ps4, tv, Denon receiver, sonos bridge, hue bridge, WD server etc. Have a gigabit port but some devices such as hue Bridge won't work properly unless connected to router directly.

Have hub 3.0 360mb

Cheers

The reviews on the site aren't great and it's strong bobs for mediocre reviews.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Try a Nighthawk on repeater mode- if you're really dedicated you could use directional beam forming antenna- but really, the likelihood of needing something like this in a domestic setting is minimal.

• Advertisement

jca wrote: »
    The reviews on the site aren't great and it's strong bobs for mediocre reviews.

Really struggling to find anything else that matches the needs. It is serious money though.

Try a Nighthawk on repeater mode- if you're really dedicated you could use directional beam forming antenna- but really, the likelihood of needing something like this in a domestic setting is minimal.

Unfortunately the nighthawks only do 4 ports unless you go into the £600+ bracket.

Presume you can't but VM hub into modem mode and use direct wired connections to it and the new router??

Unfortunately the nighthawks only do 4 ports unless you go into the £600+ bracket.

Presume you can't but VM hub into modem mode and use direct wired connections to it and the new router??

Yes you can. Sorry sorry I misread your post. How many wired connections do you have? I have the vm hub in modem mode connected to the tplink C8, it looks after wireless without a bother. I've a cable from the C8 to an 8 port gigabit switch for the sky boxes, smart tv etc. How far do you need the wireless range to extend? I find the range of the C8 to be very good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Pop a dumb port replicator on it- costs maybe £20-25 on Amazon. Reset the default IP address for the router (put a bit of blue water between you and defaults) and off you go.

Yes you can. Sorry sorry I misread your post. How many wired connections do you have? I have the vm hub in modem mode connected to the tplink C8, it looks after wireless without a bother. I've a cable from the C8 to an 8 port gigabit switch for the sky boxes, smart tv etc. How far do you need the wireless range to extend? I find the range of the C8 to be very good.
    I've 7 at the moment but it seems to be growing all the time. Some of the connections won't work (hue, NAS and sonos I think) unless wired directly to router (i.e they won't work with the gigabit switch).

Wireless probably needs to extend circa 90m. Router is in sitting room at front of house and shed is at back wall... It's a solid built insulated shed which was previous used as a granny flat more or less. At the moment wifi won't reach past the outside wall of the shed at all.

• Advertisement

And sorry I probabky wasn't very clear with my previous question. I presume you can't put VM router into modem mode,connect a new router to it and use the ports on both the new router and the modem to hard wire to devices. For example using the VM router in the same way as you'd use a gigabit switch.

Pop a dumb port replicator on it- costs maybe £20-25 on Amazon. Reset the default IP address for the router (put a bit of blue water between you and defaults) and off you go.

Im sorry I'm not really sure what this means. :(

And sorry I probabky wasn't very clear with my previous question. I presume you can't put VM router into modem mode,connect a new router to it and use the ports on both the new router and the modem to hard wire to devices. For example using the VM router in the same way as you'd use a gigabit switch.

I've just tried it there and there is a connection available from all the ports on the VM hub:D That should help you, whether they're part of the same network, I couldn't tell you:confused: Just tried logging into the TPlink while on one of these ports..No joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Felim_Doyle

In my experience, with other combinations of equipment, disable Wi-Fi on the VM device, disable DHCP on all but one device and set all but one device (the DHCP server) to get their IP addresses from the DHCP server. If the latter can't be done on some devices, allocate static IP addresses to them from a suitably remote address range (e.g. 192.168.x.240 ...) where 'x' is usually '0' or '1' for most networks (check the DHCP server / gateway IP address and make sure all others are in the same network address range). The wired ports, routing capability and even the DHCP server of the VM device can still be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Sorry if this is posted already, have searched through the forum and this thread but not clear if answered.

I need to enable WPS mode on the virgin/upc supplied epc3925. Virgin are of no help - raised in their forum here https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/105284926

I can access settings on desktop pc via 192.1.etc. but the radio button to enable WPS mode is greyed out and can't be selected.

Because of a deadspot i bought tp-link extenders which work great with Ethernet but for wireless it's annoying that I can't clone and have to keep switching between the different SSIDs.

Appreciate any advice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

elbyrneo wrote: »
    Sorry if this is posted already, have searched through the forum and this thread but not clear if answered.

I need to enable WPS mode on the virgin/upc supplied epc3925. Virgin are of no help - raised in their forum here https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/105284926

I can access settings on desktop pc via 192.1.etc. but the radio button to enable WPS mode is greyed out and can't be selected.

Because of a deadspot i bought tp-link extenders which work great with Ethernet but for wireless it's annoying that I can't clone and have to keep switching between the different SSIDs.

Appreciate any advice!!

Bump! Any advice really appreciated, it's so annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You don't need to use wps. Just configure security and SSID to be same on all devices.

I've just tried it there and there is a connection available from all the ports on the VM hub:D That should help you, whether they're part of the same network, I couldn't tell you:confused: Just tried logging into the TPlink while on one of these ports..No joy.
    It's very dangerous to do this. A bridged modem issues a public IPv4 address to the devices directly attached to it. So you're bypassing the firewall completely, this is why you should only plug devices into the router and only connect the VM modem to the router.

Karsini wrote: »
    It's very dangerous to do this. A bridged modem issues a public IPv4 address to the devices directly attached to it. So you're bypassing the firewall completely, this is why you should only plug devices into the router and only connect the VM modem to the router.

I was just trying it out to see were the other connections live or not I don't have it connected permanently like that.

Here's 9ne for the experts... So got my Asus router setup going a few weeks back with the superhub in modem mode. The improvement in speed around the house is unreal.

I have one problem though. Seemingly the Asus doesn't play nice with the ring doorbell or vice versa. No matter what I try they won't stay connected. After some googling it appears to be a known issue. A pain in the neck.

So, to resolve that problem, especially in the short term, I want to try the following. I have a spare superhub 3.0 and I want to connect that to the Asus router amd create a second home network that has Internet access but will essentially only be used for getting the ring back up and running properly.

How I go about this and is there anything I need to do to prevent the two networks from interfering with each other?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Here's 9ne for the experts... So got my Asus router setup going a few weeks back with the superhub in modem mode. The improvement in speed around the house is unreal.

I have one problem though. Seemingly the Asus doesn't play nice with the ring doorbell or vice versa. No matter what I try they won't stay connected. After some googling it appears to be a known issue. A pain in the neck.

So, to resolve that problem, especially in the short term, I want to try the following. I have a spare superhub 3.0 and I want to connect that to the Asus router amd create a second home network that has Internet access but will essentially only be used for getting the ring back up and running properly.

How I go about this and is there anything I need to do to prevent the two networks from interfering with each other?

Thanks

The COMPALs firmware isnt configured to be setup as an AP really, grab something else IMO (€5 old DSL unit will do fine).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Having a problem with downloading games from Steam or downloading a torrent where my internet just cuts off. Is there a way around this or just find another provider?

Having a problem with downloading games from Steam or downloading a torrent where my internet just cuts off. Is there a way around this or just find another provider?

If you're using a 3925, add a fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

ED E wrote: »
    If you're using a 3925, add a fan.

It's a 2425

What looks like a transit failure to the UK/EU on the VM network. Other nets not impacted (Magnet tested)

1XcGKGg.png

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Ozvaldo

any suggestions for improving the 1 gb broadband my speed is pathetic 230 mbs for a 1 gb package is the modem sh1te or what

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dohboy

Been with Virgin 6-7 years, no major issues. Over a week ago, streaming IPTV goes fairly kaput (buffering/stopping), working from home is sluggish af, I'm having to use my mobile hotspot etc. Ring them up and they say "oh yes, can see there are signal issues, we'll get an technician out". Guy comes out a few days later, fiddles about a bit, says "it's an issue with the outside cabling, a fella will turn up Monday to sort it". Monday comes and I see a Virgin engineer scanning stuff around the house, assume he's fixing it. Monday evening, still same problem. Ring them every day since saying what's the story it's not fixed, get various excuses from them.

Today I'm told an engineer came and found no problem. I say the problem is persisting. Young one at the end of the phone says let me tweak with some settings... gets me to switch to 2.4ghz. It does nothing. I'm told to "monitor" this for a "few days" as if I want to call a technician out it'll cost me €50! Now I'm faced with another stint of janky internet with nothing being done about it. Anyone have a similar issue? Seriously considering ditching them and getting Vodafone or something.

Edit: eh, possibly not the right thread for this rant, but shur tis done now

Post edited by dohboy on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭degsie

Am I one the few still using the3925 modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No, still got mine. Nothing wrong with it and if it ain't broke I'm not going to replace it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

My mate has Virgin and he has a VMDG500 router, he has Huawei WiFI Q2 Pro mesh but when he connects it the whole thing craps out. He then bought Nova cheap ones but same problem happened

I guess the router is the issue, I can't find much on it so I guess its a cheap piece of crap Virgin are sending out, anyone know how to connect up a mesh to it? thank you

Advertisement