Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

i bought an epc3925 from adverts. UPC said i cannot use it. any work arounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

MarkY91 wrote: »
    i bought an epc3925 from adverts. UPC said i cannot use it. any work arounds?

Nope. They have to provision any modem connected to their cable. If they wont budge its a no go.

As the modem you bought is technically stolen property theyll never agree to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

ED E wrote: »
    Nope. They have to provision any modem connected to their cable. If they wont budge its a no go.

As the modem you bought is technically stolen property theyll never agree to do it.

crap. they took my one back after "upgrading" me to the oh so wonderfull horizon. i guess im stuck with the ****ty ubee(who even are they?) branded router they sent out after i moaned about horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

MarkY91 wrote: »
    crap. they took my one back after "upgrading" me to the oh so wonderfull horizon. i guess im stuck with the ****ty ubee(who even are they?) branded router they sent out after i moaned about horizon.

Think this thread says the ebee can be bridged

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057361108

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭huddlejonny

Howdy!

Has anybody experienced UPC outages after 11pm at night? I have the standard UPC router on 120MB package which has been working okay up until recently.

Every night, usually after 11pm I begin to lose connection intermittently. If I switch off the router and turn it back on, I might be lucky to get 5 or 10 minutes connection before the same process happens again.

Over Christmas I hooked up a PS4 on wi-fi which has been working fine until the weekend. Also I have noticed a neighbour is on the same frequency ( channel 11 2.4ghz ) as myself but surely that shouldn't cause enough interference to lose the signal?

Any help or guidance appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Might be overheating, or might be a faulty router. Or might be upcs network being flakey.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Howdy!

Has anybody experienced UPC outages after 11pm at night? I have the standard UPC router on 120MB package which has been working okay up until recently.

Every night, usually after 11pm I begin to lose connection intermittently. If I switch off the router and turn it back on, I might be lucky to get 5 or 10 minutes connection before the same process happens again.

Over Christmas I hooked up a PS4 on wi-fi which has been working fine until the weekend. Also I have noticed a neighbour is on the same frequency ( channel 11 2.4ghz ) as myself but surely that shouldn't cause enough interference to lose the signal?

Any help or guidance appreciated.

Have you established whether it is the wifi that is being lost or the actual connection from UPC? You should try changing the wifi channel anyway to 1 or 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭huddlejonny

dub45 wrote: »
    Have you established whether it is the wifi that is being lost or the actual connection from UPC? You should try changing the wifi channel anyway to 1 or 6.

Think its the WiFi being lost. Exact same thing tonight, bang on 11pm, couldn't connect on any devices. I changed the wifi channel and it is working again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭EITS

Is anyone else having trouble with the broadband the last two days? I'm having constant disconnects every 5-10 minutes for around 5-10 seconds before it reconnects. Beyond infuriating

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Korasa

Howdy lads, just hoping for some clarification on something. Got upc in recently because I live with nine others in a student house and needed the speed. That's grand, things are working well. Only issue is some of us play League of legends, we were having disconnect issues and no clue why. Went to try and forward ports in the router and I was alarmed to see that I could not. The error I got said something about a ds-lite issue.

From what I have read am I correct in assuming I have been put onto an ipv6 line? That could be the problem in itself. Anything I can do? If I am stuck with ipv6 it will end up causing us issues as from what I understand League of legends does not support the service and thus far has no plans too.
    Ta for indulging my ridiculous first world problem.

• Advertisement

You don't need to portforward to play LoL. It's only really needed if you are hosting games. More likely your problem is just congestion. Install your own router and configure QoS on it - otherwise the connection will always be terrible with 9 people on it. Oh and don't use wifi, with 9 users it would be terrible for gaming.

Cheers for the response. I don't think it has much to do with the number of us using it. Over the hoidays it was just myself and one other and I was still having issues. I should also mention I am te only person in the house wired directly to the modem. But if buying a new modem helps I may have to do that today. Cheers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Morning guys.
    Anyone know whats happening with broadband speeds and dropping connections every evening. Resets etc aren't effective- and its the same on a wired connection as wireless- the speed just drops all the way down to between 5 and 10mb (on a 200mb connection). Pings also creep upwards at a scary rate- and pretty much anything other than Skype video calls are out of the question (and even the Skype video calls stutters).

Its only the last couple of days.

Are UPC doing something- does anyone know? Its also happening around the same time in the evening- 7-8PM, its perfectly fine in the morning, and the few times I've had to come home during the day its positively zooming.

Korasa wrote: »
    Cheers for the response. I don't think it has much to do with the number of us using it. Over the hoidays it was just myself and one other and I was still having issues. I should also mention I am te only person in the house wired directly to the modem. But if buying a new modem helps I may have to do that today. Cheers.

Is it only LoL that has problems? Does the connection just drop randomly sometimes? Router might be overheating. It's definitely not because of lack of port-forwarding - might be just UPC having network problems. Ring them up and complain if it persists.

From some googling it seems LoL recommends you disable ipv6. I'm not sure if you can do this on your local pc, or if you have to get UPC to disable it on your router. Ring them up and ask.

@TheConductor: Same advice goes to you. Might be congestion, router overheating or UPC network outages. Ring them up :)

Morning guys.
    Anyone know whats happening with broadband speeds and dropping connections every evening. Resets etc aren't effective- and its the same on a wired connection as wireless- the speed just drops all the way down to between 5 and 10mb (on a 200mb connection). Pings also creep upwards at a scary rate- and pretty much anything other than Skype video calls are out of the question (and even the Skype video calls stutters).

Its only the last couple of days.

Are UPC doing something- does anyone know? Its also happening around the same time in the evening- 7-8PM, its perfectly fine in the morning, and the few times I've had to come home during the day its positively zooming.

Login to your modem during the day and copy the stats. When it goes bad do it again and copy them again. Post both sets side by side here and we can see if theres an obvious cable fault.

Korasa wrote: »

The hundreds of simultaneous connections to peers when torrenting puts a heavy load on routers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ED E wrote: »
    Login to your modem during the day and copy the stats. When it goes bad do it again and copy them again. Post both sets side by side here and we can see if theres an obvious cable fault.

Next time I'm in the house during the daytime I'll do this.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Is it only LoL that has problems? Does the connection just drop randomly sometimes? Router might be overheating. It's definitely not because of lack of port-forwarding - might be just UPC having network problems. Ring them up and complain if it persists.

From some googling it seems LoL recommends you disable ipv6. I'm not sure if you can do this on your local pc, or if you have to get UPC to disable it on your router. Ring them up and ask.

Nah, only issue is with lol which is a shame as a few of us play it. Everythin works fine when in game but the issues arise with the client. Odd. Might call upc and see what can be done. cheers for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 akav05

Hey guys sorry if this is in the wrong section. Upc recently swaped out my modem from the Cisco one to the new Ubee modem, the issues I was having with my Cisco modem was that the wifi reception was brutal in certain parts of my apartment. The Ubee modem fixes that problem for me but has also giving me another problem. I have a minix neo x8 which is a android tv box with the Cisco modem hard wired I was getting speeds roughly in the 90'sMbps and on my laptop 205Mbps now with the new modem my laptop receives the same results but my minix will only reach 33Mpbs hard wired the same also with my PS4 wifi on both devices is actually faster then my wired connection. Nothing has changed since the new modem went in. Everything is in the same position the same cables are being used it was jus a straight swap with the modems. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Just wondering if anyone else has electrical whine from their 3925 unit? It always kicks in when I turn on or off one PC in particular, which is connected by ethernet cable. Could a dodgy cable cause that, or more likely the unit itself? The router is in my bedroom, so it's quite irritating at night. I usually have to turn the unit off and back on again to get rid of the whine, although if the PC is off, turning the router off won't fix it - I have to turn the pc back on, then turn the 3925 off and on again, then turn off the PC. Annoying to say the least!!

Also, would any of you have a recommendation for a router to use with the 3925 in bridge mode? Have heard the Asus models are good, but essentially just want relaiability and good range (the Cisco has terrible wi-fi coverage downstairs).

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I'd say that whine is more likely to be coming from a fan baring on that particular PC than it is to be anything to do with your router.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I'd say that whine is more likely to be coming from a fan baring on that particular PC than it is to be anything to do with your router.

I'd say you didn't read my post correctly.

Have a projector that has the same whine in standby. Like coil whine on a GPU or PSU. Maybe using same Ethernet cable hook up a laptop instead to test or plug the PC into another power socket via extension cable, to rule out a grounding problem with the PC causing the whine.

Failing that it's likely coil whine in the modem itself and only a replacement will cure it. Just make sure to demand another EPC3925 so you can bridge to your own router in the future.

Or move modem to another room? Any UPC coaxial cable point will do.

Thanks Calibos - will do some experimenting tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Dair76 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone else has electrical whine from their 3925 unit? It always kicks in when I turn on or off one PC in particular, which is connected by ethernet cable. Could a dodgy cable cause that, or more likely the unit itself? The router is in my bedroom, so it's quite irritating at night. I usually have to turn the unit off and back on again to get rid of the whine, although if the PC is off, turning the router off won't fix it - I have to turn the pc back on, then turn the 3925 off and on again, then turn off the PC. Annoying to say the least!!

Also, would any of you have a recommendation for a router to use with the 3925 in bridge mode? Have heard the Asus models are good, but essentially just want relaiability and good range (the Cisco has terrible wi-fi coverage downstairs).

Thanks!

Yeah i get that as well it's actually the capacitors in the 3925, it's kind of high pitched whine in mine not much you can do unless you want to open it up and replace with better quality Japanese capacitors, don't think UPC issue these anymore.
    With regards the router I would recommend Asus routers they are well built and you can put a 3rd party firmware called MerlinWrt on them. If on a budget get the TPLink Archer C7 just make sure it's version 2.

Yeah, did a bit of switching cables etc, and it's definitely the router creating the capacitor whine. I've read an application of hot glue over the capacitors can help, but that sounds risky/like too much hassle. The UPC website says they still use the Cisco routers, so I might see if they'll replace it.

Thanks for the helpful replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Seapoint

EITS wrote: »
    Is anyone else having trouble with the broadband the last two days? I'm having constant disconnects every 5-10 minutes for around 5-10 seconds before it reconnects. Beyond infuriating

I'm on my second replacement EPC3925 in a month, and had an engineer in the house for an hour today trying to establish what the problem is. In the end, he said it was either my modem... and offered me a UBee , which I graciously declined, or my equipment. I have slowly but surely removed all of my hard wired equipment from the Cisco, before finally resetting the modem. Even when reset, it clapped out every 5~10 mins.

I'm getting very frustrated. I wonder should I stick a new router on it in bridge mode to see?

USB fan. Seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 tomahony

Can somebody clarify the following for me?

I currently have the EPC2425 modem. I need to enable bridging so that I can use my own router (the line is; I work from home and need a hardware VPN). Am I right in saying:

- my current router, the epc2425 can't bridge
    - the EPC3925 can bridge 'out of the box'

Advertisement