Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Wire-Is it any good?

• 17-11-2017 8:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭

I was a big fan of the Sopranos when it was shown on tv and I often here people compare both and say the wire is just as good if not better so I was wondering is it worth watching the series form 1 to whatever season it finished up with

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah it's worth a watch. Sopranos better but it's up there. Maybe skip the last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

It's must see TV and deffo worth a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Personally thought it was massively over rated.

Season 4 is the best one and could be watched as a stand alone.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Absolutely. Far ahead of 'The Sopranos' IMO but really they're very different shows so it's not worth comparing the two much.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

I thought the thread title was trying to be funny! It is a fantastic show. Great characters, full of humour in the right places. Definitely one of my all time favourites. Watch the first couple of episodes and you'll be hooked. Season 2 is probably the weakest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭geecee

It took me around 10 attempts to get past the first 5 minutes
    It took me another 2-3 goes to finish the first episode

After that I was hooked!

Don't forget to also check out The Shield another similar series that's well worth watching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭cena

Well worth a watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

As it's so character based it may take a little while to get into. However it is extremely rewarding and I consider it amongst the best shows ever made. I thoroughly enjoyed it and have watched it back to back two times - the second time was even more intriguing as some things I missed first time around became clear.

Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Yep, brilliant. Big fan of the Sopranos myself and the wire is right up there with it. Similar in so many ways to Sopranos, very funny in parts, excellent characters that have depth despite having so many of them and extremely well written and cast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I thought the thread title was trying to be funny! It is a fantastic show. Great characters, full of humour in the right places. Definitely one of my all time favourites. Watch the first couple of episodes and you'll be hooked. Season 2 is probably the weakest.

I agree with you except that the season 2 was the best for me, Frank sobotka was a great character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

It's quite different to a lot of TV that's been popular in the last 10 years. It's very character driven and each season explores specific themes. Personally it's up there in my top 3 TV series but I can understand why some people don't like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,635 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's a very good show. It won't change your life or anything, but it's an excellent TV show.

I agree with what an earlier poster said about season four being the best season. I think that season has to be up there in discussions about the greatest season of a television series of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭seanin4711

No not good, feckin great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

I've tried to watch it multiple times. Got as far as mid season three, just don't want to stick with it while watching. Can't get hooked like other people. Just don't get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

It's brilliant. Getting through the first episode is actually the hardest thing, because so many characters and story threads are introduced all at once, so it can be hard to keep up, but stick with it. Don't get me wrong, the first episode is great, but much easier to appreciate on repeat viewings once you're already familiar with everyone - the very first scene of the series has actually become one of my favourite TV scenes of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Best TV show ever made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭satguy

A landmark in TV shows , and still ranks in top 3 on most lists,, sometimes in No.1 spot.

A must see for all TV buffs ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

I've watched the wire from start to finish 3 times and introduced my girlfriend to it a couple of weeks ago and we should finish it off this weekend. Definitely give it a go.

I did have to watch season 2 again on its own because I didn't get it the first time round. But it's so good when you realise how important season 2 is. People that say it's no good didn't understand it imho.

Now go get stuck in, you won't regret it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭duffman13

Excellent show and easily in my top three, some people struggle initially with the amount of characters but its a great and gritty show. Season 2 is marmite for people, wasnt my cup of tea but other absolutely loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Amazing show. Beats all the others i reckon.

It can also be rewatched multiple times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

I’m halfway through season 2. I’m not gripped at all. I’ve been struggling to carry on but a guy in work assures me it’s worth it!

Don’t get me wrong, it’s very far from bad tv, but I’m not hooked the way others are. I also find it a little dated now- maybe it seemed original in 2003 but doesn’t really seem to be anymore, with all the similar stuff out there.

Shelga wrote: »
    I’m halfway through season 2. I’m not gripped at all. I’ve been struggling to carry on but a guy in work assures me it’s worth it!

Don’t get me wrong, it’s very far from bad tv, but I’m not hooked the way others are. I also find it a little dated now- maybe it seemed original in 2003 but doesn’t really seem to be anymore, with all the similar stuff out there.

People kept telling me to stick with it, and I had been told the same about breaking bad and did get seriously hooked,so I trusted them.... it just didn't happen with the wire. For similar reasons to yours. It was just not all that unique imo. Nothing bad about it but just didnt capture me in the way it did others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Yeah season 2 is a strange one. Not sure I liked it on first viewing. After completing the lot, I then really liked season 2 on subsequent viewings.

Season 5 seems a bit far fetched but apparently most of it is based on actual events.

I prefer it to the Sopranos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

neonsofa wrote:
    I've tried to watch it multiple times. Got as far as mid season three, just don't want to stick with it while watching. Can't get hooked like other people. Just don't get it.

TBH, Season 3 was not as good as the others

Overall I loved it.

I watched it twice, I never watch things twice

Stoner wrote: »
    TBH, Season 3 was not as good as the others

Overall I loved it.

Tbh I struggled through first and second, and just gave up on three,it wasn't that three was overly bad imo,I just wasn't prepared to keep going past that point.

However I'm fully aware that it was me that just didn't "get" it. There's nothing wrong with it like. Evidently, seeing as so many people love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The Wire drags the Sopranos down a dark lane and kicks the crap out of it.

A far superior show.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭bauney

It's a must see. Really addictive. Great character's. You might need subtitles to follow the conversations.
    Actually, there is a new program "the deuce" on sky Atlantic now that was written by the same guy and slot of same actors are in it. Very similar style of program, some interesting characters so fat. And lots of adult action too if that is if if interest 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Aravo

I was a big fan of The Sopranos back in the day. The Wire is far superior imo. The different perspectives that it shows is class, even though the media one did drag on a bit. Fantastic storyline and characters. I often watch episodes now again. Watched series 1 again a few weeks back. Loved it. Enjoy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Best thing on TV when it was on

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote:

I have watched it 3 times. Been dragged into the 4th time which I will do over the next year. The storylines are as relevant now as they ever were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Haven't seen Sopranos. I understand its a TV show with a really good story.

The Wire is not a TV show like that. It's by far, one of the best TV experiences ever. Watch the extras and especially listen to the commentary with the episodes if you got the DVDs/BluRay.

It's all in the game

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

billyhead wrote: »
    I was wondering is it worth watching the series form 1 to whatever season it finished up with

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭el diablo

Yeah it's bleedin' deadly. Probably the best TV series I've watched.
    RasTa wrote: »
    Yeah it's worth a watch. Sopranos better but it's up there. Maybe skip the last season

Bizarre comment. Why watch four seasons and skip the fifth? :confused:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

honestly think its the best thing that ever been made

but like others took me ages to get into it like literally weeks to watch first 3 episodes but then i was hooked

• Advertisement

I thought it was overrated. Definitely not the earth shattering TV that people make it out to be. First two seasons are great. Then it feels like it recycles the same story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

what the forth season was my favorite - watching the kids go through school was heart breaking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Loved stringer bell. Never watched the last 2 seasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

geecee wrote: »
    Don't forget to also check out The Shield another similar series that's well worth watching

The Shield is as similar to The Wire as The Bill.

I love The Shield, but it is in no way similar to The Wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The wire is amazing - possibly the best cop show ever (maybe even best series full stop).

The only slight criticism I'd have about it now is it might be a little bit dated - but apart from that it's a 10/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭.red.

Fantastic show, up there with the best. Ive honestly never seen anything else that compares to it for a mixture of script, characters, highs and lows!
    I loved season 2, very different to the other series but some great scenes in it. Season 4, as said above could be a stand alone show all by itself!

It can be a chore to watch the first few episodes as there's just so much going on.
    I heard it being compared to a jig saw before, in a way that it looks like a mess for the first 6/8 episodes and then all of a sudden it starts coming together, eventually you get the full picture of what's going on and it was all worthwhile!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

geecee wrote: »
    It took me around 10 attempts to get past the first 5 minutes
    It took me another 2-3 goes to finish the first episode

After that I was hooked!

The Shield is fantastic, and unlike The Wire it grabs you from the start. I've watched it several times now and IMO it's the better of the two (but I agree with others, the direct comparison that's so often done is odd? Very different shows).

My experience with The Wire was the same as yours but once I got into it, the first season was very good. Then they changed everything in Season 2? Still haven't gotten back to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I thought Series 1 was ok. Not the "must-see" TV that I had been told about by my friends, just ok.

Series 2 lost me a bit, with the change of setting.

I had higher hopes for Series 3, but lost interest completely 3-4 episodes in. Doubt I'll ever go back to it now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Loved it, though more fond of 'Homicide - Life on the street' its daddy.

Well done on taking the first step Billyhead. This is the greatest series i have ever watched. Im absolutely hooked on it and for me absolutely nothing will top it.

The Wire for me is more than a Cops v Gangsters drama. More than anything it highlights institutional failure which in turn leads to unemployment, crime, substance addiction and thus the break down of society. And its as relatable in the Ireland of 2017 as it was in the Baltimore of 2002. It demonstrates a complete disconnect between the institutions and the people due to reasons ranging from vested interests to just sheer incompetence.

I can understand how people can find it a slow investment, but to call it overrated is puzzling. If anything it is hugely underrated. TV today is full of instant gratification, bad acting, junk, and cheap laughs, but David Simon done something marvellously different with the Wire. Instead of being storyline focused he built characters and dialogue and the interaction between these characters flowed so naturally as a result. There was no sides taken like other cop shows which i admired. The characters were built with layers upon layers of facets. Good cop, bad husband. Brown Noser but empathetic, Drug Dealer but honours a code.... Simply marvellous and will be usurped by none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Brilliant, brilliant series. Up there with Mad Men for me as the greatest ever produced, deserved every accolade it has received and more. That said, I'd have some reservations about the last couple of series which I felt started to get a bit preachy and the characters less nuanced, too much light and shade. I refer in particular to the Baltimore Sun storyline which had too many cliched characters - the bent reporter, the unscrupulous award-hungry bosses, the quiet-spoken honest editor etc - I know Simon had worked at the Sun himself but this just didn't ring true for me and I felt the writers were beginning to lose it a little at that point. In the overall scheme of things, though, that's fairly minor criticism. Rewatched Series 1-3 last year and amazed at how well they stand up over a decade on.

Brilliant, brilliant series. Up there with Mad Men for me as the greatest ever produced, deserved every accolade it has received and more. That said, I'd have some reservations about the last couple of series which I felt started to get a bit preachy and the characters less nuanced, too much light and shade. I refer in particular to the Baltimore Sun storyline which had too many cliched characters - the bent reporter, the unscrupulous award-hungry bosses, the quiet-spoken honest editor etc - I know Simon had worked at the Sun himself but this just didn't ring true for me and I felt the writers were beginning to lose it a little at that point. In the overall scheme of things, though, that's fairly minor criticism. Rewatched Series 1-3 last year and amazed at how well they stand up over a decade on.

Season 4 for me is without doubt the best because it highlights the failure of the most important institution. The kids preparing for Street life are being taught by a system designed for every single kid in the world irregardless of background, level or personal circumstances.

To be fair also, season 5 covered many topics relevant today such as the whole area of fake news

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Withrax

Most def

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

As several have said, the wire is awesome. Some outstanding dialog in it throughout from several characters. Bubbles, Lester Freamon, Omar. Brilliant. Very few weak characters on it.

Seasons in order of preference (in my opinion obviously)

4, 2, 1, 3, 5

My favorite dramas; The Wire, Love Hate, GOT, Peaky Blinders..... Whats the connection between them?
    Aidan Gillen :eek:

P.S. Sopranos is very good also but watched it again lately and found the continuity and pacing between episodes lacking in a way that was never a problem with The Wire. Still very good though. Some excellent dialog in it also.

P.P.S. I fail to see the attraction with Breaking Bad when comparing it to the wire I feel it doesn't hold a candle to it but lots feel strongly the other way.

P.P.P.S. As well as The Shield, David Simon also created a drama about New Orleans after hurricane Katrina, Treme. Some cross over of actors with Wendell Pierce and Clarke Peters playing central roles. I think all music was performed by the actors paying the parts but I could be wrong. Totally different viewpoint to his other work but I thought it very good in showing character depth, as with The Wire. Was very well received by people from NO too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement