Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wire-Is it any good?

• 17-11-2017 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭billyhead

I was a big fan of the Sopranos when it was shown on tv and I often here people compare both and say the wire is just as good if not better so I was wondering is it worth watching the series form 1 to whatever season it finished up with

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah it's worth a watch. Sopranos better but it's up there. Maybe skip the last season

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

It's must see TV and deffo worth a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Personally thought it was massively over rated.

Season 4 is the best one and could be watched as a stand alone.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Absolutely. Far ahead of 'The Sopranos' IMO but really they're very different shows so it's not worth comparing the two much.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

I thought the thread title was trying to be funny! It is a fantastic show. Great characters, full of humour in the right places. Definitely one of my all time favourites. Watch the first couple of episodes and you'll be hooked. Season 2 is probably the weakest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

It took me around 10 attempts to get past the first 5 minutes
    It took me another 2-3 goes to finish the first episode

After that I was hooked!

Don't forget to also check out The Shield another similar series that's well worth watching

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭cena

Well worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

As it's so character based it may take a little while to get into. However it is extremely rewarding and I consider it amongst the best shows ever made. I thoroughly enjoyed it and have watched it back to back two times - the second time was even more intriguing as some things I missed first time around became clear.

Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Yep, brilliant. Big fan of the Sopranos myself and the wire is right up there with it. Similar in so many ways to Sopranos, very funny in parts, excellent characters that have depth despite having so many of them and extremely well written and cast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I thought the thread title was trying to be funny! It is a fantastic show. Great characters, full of humour in the right places. Definitely one of my all time favourites. Watch the first couple of episodes and you'll be hooked. Season 2 is probably the weakest.

I agree with you except that the season 2 was the best for me, Frank sobotka was a great character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,976 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

It's quite different to a lot of TV that's been popular in the last 10 years. It's very character driven and each season explores specific themes. Personally it's up there in my top 3 TV series but I can understand why some people don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's a very good show. It won't change your life or anything, but it's an excellent TV show.

I agree with what an earlier poster said about season four being the best season. I think that season has to be up there in discussions about the greatest season of a television series of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭seanin4711

No not good, feckin great

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

I've tried to watch it multiple times. Got as far as mid season three, just don't want to stick with it while watching. Can't get hooked like other people. Just don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

It's brilliant. Getting through the first episode is actually the hardest thing, because so many characters and story threads are introduced all at once, so it can be hard to keep up, but stick with it. Don't get me wrong, the first episode is great, but much easier to appreciate on repeat viewings once you're already familiar with everyone - the very first scene of the series has actually become one of my favourite TV scenes of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Best TV show ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭satguy

A landmark in TV shows , and still ranks in top 3 on most lists,, sometimes in No.1 spot.

A must see for all TV buffs ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭dobman88

I've watched the wire from start to finish 3 times and introduced my girlfriend to it a couple of weeks ago and we should finish it off this weekend. Definitely give it a go.

I did have to watch season 2 again on its own because I didn't get it the first time round. But it's so good when you realise how important season 2 is. People that say it's no good didn't understand it imho.

Now go get stuck in, you won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭duffman13

Excellent show and easily in my top three, some people struggle initially with the amount of characters but its a great and gritty show. Season 2 is marmite for people, wasnt my cup of tea but other absolutely loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Amazing show. Beats all the others i reckon.

It can also be rewatched multiple times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭Shelga

I’m halfway through season 2. I’m not gripped at all. I’ve been struggling to carry on but a guy in work assures me it’s worth it!

Don’t get me wrong, it’s very far from bad tv, but I’m not hooked the way others are. I also find it a little dated now- maybe it seemed original in 2003 but doesn’t really seem to be anymore, with all the similar stuff out there.

Shelga wrote: »
    I’m halfway through season 2. I’m not gripped at all. I’ve been struggling to carry on but a guy in work assures me it’s worth it!

Don’t get me wrong, it’s very far from bad tv, but I’m not hooked the way others are. I also find it a little dated now- maybe it seemed original in 2003 but doesn’t really seem to be anymore, with all the similar stuff out there.

People kept telling me to stick with it, and I had been told the same about breaking bad and did get seriously hooked,so I trusted them.... it just didn't happen with the wire. For similar reasons to yours. It was just not all that unique imo. Nothing bad about it but just didnt capture me in the way it did others

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Yeah season 2 is a strange one. Not sure I liked it on first viewing. After completing the lot, I then really liked season 2 on subsequent viewings.

Season 5 seems a bit far fetched but apparently most of it is based on actual events.

I prefer it to the Sopranos.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

neonsofa wrote:
    I've tried to watch it multiple times. Got as far as mid season three, just don't want to stick with it while watching. Can't get hooked like other people. Just don't get it.

TBH, Season 3 was not as good as the others

Overall I loved it.

I watched it twice, I never watch things twice

Stoner wrote: »
    TBH, Season 3 was not as good as the others

Overall I loved it.

Tbh I struggled through first and second, and just gave up on three,it wasn't that three was overly bad imo,I just wasn't prepared to keep going past that point.

However I'm fully aware that it was me that just didn't "get" it. There's nothing wrong with it like. Evidently, seeing as so many people love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The Wire drags the Sopranos down a dark lane and kicks the crap out of it.

A far superior show.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bauney

It's a must see. Really addictive. Great character's. You might need subtitles to follow the conversations.
    Actually, there is a new program "the deuce" on sky Atlantic now that was written by the same guy and slot of same actors are in it. Very similar style of program, some interesting characters so fat. And lots of adult action too if that is if if interest 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Aravo

I was a big fan of The Sopranos back in the day. The Wire is far superior imo. The different perspectives that it shows is class, even though the media one did drag on a bit. Fantastic storyline and characters. I often watch episodes now again. Watched series 1 again a few weeks back. Loved it. Enjoy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Best thing on TV when it was on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Aravo

Stoner wrote:

I have watched it 3 times. Been dragged into the 4th time which I will do over the next year. The storylines are as relevant now as they ever were.

Advertisement