Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Yeah, always disliked his stuff. Could never understand his popularity. The underlying premise of his material you could always see coming a mile off and it was generally something very liberal leaning but which would always make him look perceptive for having noticed which ever particular failing he was shining a light on. He'd quite often throw himself into whichever demographic it was that he was sneering at, but given that he wasnthe the one pointing the failing, there was never anything genuinely self depreciating about it, but people always seemed to lap it up and because he was loved by liberals (given his 'feminist comedy') he got away with some material that many other comics most certainly would not have. Such as the following SNL monologue (from 5m30s):

Sorry, I watched that and p**ed myself laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

it's all those women who sold their souls for a part in a movie that made Harvey and co continue with their sexual harassment of others.

Read that back to yourself a few times.
    Who is calling out all those women.?

Well there's you, a half dozen other posters on this thread, and thousands of other people all over the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

What if you still like Louis CK's work? What if you don't really think what he did was enough to kill his entire career and ruin his life?

Remember the early reports about Weinstein? The very first ones. Before the more serious allegations came flooding in.

The early reports were things like asking for massages and for women to watch him showering. The stuff reported about Louis CK is on this level.

People rightfully rounded on Weinstein straight away. Why do you think Louis CK should be treated differently?

The problem with CK is that his stand-up completely contrasts with his real-life actions. So I think that many people (though maybe not all) will not be able to look at him the same way. Maybe his material will be good but I think many will reach for the remote before hearing it. And then maybe will feel too disgusted at the potential hypocrisy to keep watching. Who he presented himself as and who he actually is - the gulf is too great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

What if you still like Louis CK's work? What if you don't really think what he did was enough to kill his entire career and ruin his life?

Usually I'd be the type that would say don't let the person stop you from enjoying the art, but with Louis CK, his art has been tainted by his utter hypocrisy.

Not that I'm saying you shouldn't enjoy it and I wouldn't have a problem with people remaining a fan of his, but.....I don't know, guess the best way I can put it is that the joke is literally over for a big part of his act.

I find Im watching things with a different eye now .

I just watched the American Dad episode with the Speilberg character , and the Goonies cast and my mouth fell open.

Is it another Seth Mc Farlane outing or am I just seeing things differently now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gINv-rcrEGM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Sorry, I watched that and p**ed myself laughing.

Like I said, no issue with the material per se, but jokes about how much pedophiles must love the taste of young boys is not something which I feel should be deemed suitable for the Saturday Night Live monologue. Material like that has an place and that show ain't it.

As an aside, a Mounds Bar s pretty much a Red Bounty, in case anyone's wondering. Mr. Simms on Dame St sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Have any women been accused yet ? Or would that be too embarrassing for the men involved.
    I think all the women who took up Harvey and the rest on their offers of sex for roles in films have to feel some degree of regret, it's all those women who sold their souls for a part in a movie that made Harvey and co continue with their sexual harassment of others.

I'd say it's a matter of time before women are on the chopping block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

branie2 wrote: »
    Have any women been accused yet ? Or would that be too embarrassing for the men involved.
    I think all the women who took up Harvey and the rest on their offers of sex for roles in films have to feel some degree of regret, it's all those women who sold their souls for a part in a movie that made Harvey and co continue with their sexual harassment of others.

I'd say it's a matter of time before women are on the chopping block.

I don't see that happening. I'm sure it can be explained by "empowering women" yada yada yada!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jake1 wrote: »
    I find Im watching things with a different eye now .

I just watched the American Dad episode with the Speilberg character , and the Goonies cast and my mouth fell open.

Is it another Seth Mc Farlane outing or am I just seeing things differently now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gINv-rcrEGM
    Indeed. For fun watch his flic "Hook" again, but with an eye looking for greasy stuff hiding in plain sight. Or not. I sincerely hope this isn't the case and that he's genuinely and honestly plugging into the lost father/parent looking for the son within his own experience meme and making great cinema from it, but I've long harboured some suspicions on this score, illogical and sad though they may be.

But then again when memes and witch hunts are this strong and pervasive, if only for an interwebs moment it can be hard to separate the good wheat from the scummy chaff.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Rjd2 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/yashar/status/929803481631940609

Weinstein wrote an article in 2009 defending Polansky in the indy which they deleted recently. :pac:

Genuine LOL at "He served his time" opening.:confused:

These are the list of celebrities who signed a petition asking for Polanski to be freed, after been arrested in Switzerland for the child rape.

Be interesting to see if any them make any comments about the recent sexual abuse cases after signing that petition.

Woody Allen, Wes Anderson, Darren Aronofsky, Jonathan Demme, Martin Scorsese, Kent Jones,Harmony Korine, Richard Pena, Jerry Schatzberg, Julian Schnabel, Barbet Schroeder, Paul Auster, Mike Nichols,Diane von Furstenberg, Harvey Weinstein, Adrien Brody, Jonathan Klein, Natalie Portman

Scott Foundas, John Landis, Alexander Payne, Taylor Hackford, Steven Soderbergh, Michael Mann J. Neil Schulman, Harrison Ford

David Lynch, Terry Zwigoff

Surprised Natalie Portman wanted Polanksi freed with her been a vocal femenist
    http://www.justjared.com/2017/01/21/natalie-portman-speaks-at-womens-march-wearing-we-should-all-be-feminists-t-shirt/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Woody Allen, course he did.

No Tom Hanks, all is okay.

Shame on all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

anna080 wrote: »

Shame on all of them.

Here is the petition they signed, grotesque

Petition for Roman Polanski

We have learned the astonishing news of Roman Polanski's arrest by the Swiss police on September 26th, upon arrival in Zurich (Switzerland) while on his way to a film festival where he was due to receive an award for his career in filmmaking.

His arrest follows an American arrest warrant dating from 1978 against the filmmaker, in a case of morals.

Filmmakers in France, in Europe, in the United States and around the world are dismayed by this decision. It seems inadmissible to them that an international cultural event, paying homage to one of the greatest contemporary filmmakers, is used by the police to apprehend him.

By their extraterritorial nature, film festivals the world over have always permitted works to be shown and for filmmakers to present them freely and safely, even when certain States opposed this.

The arrest of Roman Polanski in a neutral country, where he assumed he could travel without hindrance, undermines this tradition: it opens the way for actions of which no-one can know the effects.

Roman Polanski is a French citizen, a renown and international artist now facing extradition. This extradition, if it takes place, will be heavy in consequences and will take away his freedom.

Filmmakers, actors, producers and technicians - everyone involved in international filmmaking - want him to know that he has their support and friendship.

On September 16th, 2009, Mr. Charles Rivkin, the US Ambassador to France, received French artists and intellectuals at the embassy. He presented to them the new Minister Counselor for Public Affairs at the embassy, Ms Judith Baroody. In perfect French she lauded the Franco-American friendship and recommended the development of cultural relations between our two countries.

If only in the name of this friendship between our two countries, we demand the immediate release of Roman Polanski.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

What does "in a case of morals" mean?

Everything about that is grim.

Nothing to see here.
    Dirty bastards.

Shame on all of them.

Yup, can't wrap my head around it. They'd all be grand with him drugging up their 13 year old child and buggering them, yeah? Because he's an artiste? They would in their hoop. But the vic was a nobody so who cares about her.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

When a bunch of cosseted muppets sign a petition in support of a convicted child rapist it should tell you all you need to know about them and the cultural environment they inhabit.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Scott Foundas, John Landis, Alexander Payne, Taylor Hackford, Steven Soderbergh, Michael Mann J. Neil Schulman, Harrison Ford

Oh and John Landis can fook off too. Check out the circumstances surrounding the deaths of actor Vic Morrow (father of Jennifer Jason Leigh) and two child actors on the set of his 1980s Twilight Zone film. Shocking what he got away with.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Shocking what he got away with.
    It's all about the money D. He got away with it because he was a solid earner for the studios. Polanski was generally a safe pair of hands and an "artiste" with Oscar potential. Weinstein got away with it for so long because he was both a huge earner for the studios and was feted by critics. Blockbusters that the luvvies loved. A rare combination. No way was he going to be exposed in the 90's. He was far too big an earner, so the Hollywood machine would close ranks around him. It's informative that he's only being exposed now because his star is very much on the wane and that the majority of his initial accusers were also people with most of their careers behind them. Because they had much less to lose by speaking out. Others that have some stink around them today, but are still ringing the tills are being left largely alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

who'd have thunk it that that there is actually a rape culture in the west and it's Hollywood and the entertainment industry

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

It's deliberately chosen language that makes it seem like he might be arrested for a crime the some people might find noble. That arrest was the first I'd ever really heard of him and the 'case of morals' coupled with the section on his French citizenry meant my first assumption was that he had done something political against the US. Something legally criminal but considered heroic by his famous defenders. Reading more and finding out he had drugged and anally raped a child was mind-boggling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mollygreene

George Takei claiming Russia have the spread sexual assault claims relating to him.

Notions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Yup, can't wrap my head around it. They'd all be grand with him drugging up their 13 year old child and buggering them, yeah? Because he's an artiste? They would in their hoop. But the vic was a nobody so who cares about her.

This is it exactly.
    If you present yourself as an artiste it seems you can get away with anything.
    Some of his friends probably view him as being persecuted by America or the like.

BUT...Switzerland and France refused to extradite him to America which also doesn't look good for them.

Lets be honest, this guy should have been behind bars decades ago and we'd be talking now about that Polanski guy who made a few films in the 70s.

The problem with Weinstein and Polanski and the other hardcore pervs are that this ridiculous #metoo nonsense is detracting from the real abuse that's going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

The problem with Weinstein and Polanski and the other hardcore pervs are that this ridiculous #metoo nonsense is detracting from the real abuse that's going on.

Or maybe people are smart enough to process more than one thing at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Why is it ridiculous? Sexual harassment & even 'low level' abuse all feed into a culture where people get away with this kind of thing.

optogirl wrote: »
    Why is it ridiculous? Sexual harassment & even 'low level' abuse all feed into a culture where people get away with this kind of thing.

I don't agree that some of the ridiculous stories that are coming out are "low level abuse".

Take Rebel Wilson - she told a story a few years ago about Sacha Baron Cohen giving direction for her character. Right laugh she had - her words.

Fast forward to the current irrational witch hunt climate and she "suffered sexual harassment".

strandroad wrote: »
    Or maybe people are smart enough to process more than one thing at a time.

Yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,622 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Tom Sizemore (Saving Private Ryan, Natural Born Killers, True Romance etc) was apparently removed from a film set in 2003 when an 11-year-old girl said he briefly molested her.

Not sure this should be in the public domain given that it was reported to the police at the time and no charges were brought.

Advertisement