Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Tom Sizemore (Saving Private Ryan, Natural Born Killers, True Romance etc) was apparently removed from a film set in 2003 when an 11-year-old girl said he briefly molested her.

Not sure this should be in the public domain given that it was reported to the police at the time and no charges were brought.

The 11 year old actress is currently pursuing a lawsuit against her parents, and either the studio, or Sizemore. She's 26 now, and at the time her parents didn't pursue a case, or report it, though it was brought up with the studio.
    Which just goes to show you there are many parents who are sick in the head. the Momma Haim's of the world still exist.
    Obama because he's a good man and Dubya cos he wouldn't know what went where and for how long.

Well, his wife did kill a guy when she drove drunk. And Dubya got girlfriends pregnant, made em get abortions,and was an alcoholic. There were no allegations, but he certainly was not a nice guy.
    strandroad wrote: »
    The Atlantic gently reminds us of a certain Bill Clinton...
    https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/11/reckoning-with-bill-clintons-sex-crimes/545729/

Interesting how of US presidents I personally remember (i.e. since Reagan) only GWB and Obama have no sexual allegations against them.

Well, Bush 41 is in a wheelchair, and that hasn't stopped him. Clinton is walking around, he can just grab em.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Joe Biden the creepy pedo bastard has teamed up with Lady Gaga to condemn Weinstein.
    If there was any justice in the world Harvey and Joe would be cellmates.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Joe Biden the creepy pedo bastard has teamed up with Lady Gaga to condemn Weinstein.

what have people on Biden?

sorry I don't know what you're on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

what have people on Biden?

sorry I don't know what you're on about?
    This is disturbing to watch but keep a close eye on his hands when the girls are in front of him

If he acts like this in front of cameras and parents, what is he like off camera in private?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Pretty baseless claim that you seem to have based on some strange conspiracy, gonna link to pizzagate conspiracy too?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

optogirl wrote: »
    Why is it ridiculous? Sexual harassment & even 'low level' abuse all feed into a culture where people get away with this kind of thing.

Citation needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Elizabeth Perkins (Big) held up a sign with James Woods' name on it at some 'Take Back The Work Place' march.

46498B4B00000578-0-image-a-34_1510546487869.jpg

If you get an ink stain on your white shirt, it stands out and looks horrendous.
    Then if it's quickly followed by more stains of different size and degree, then after a while it's pretty hard to tell one from the other and you just go MEH, another ink stain, what ya gonna do!! the subsequent stains detract from that original one that ruined the shirt for good, it's now normalized and accepted.
    That's how I kinda see this and I really believe that if they'll support Polanski, then these lads will work again!

I'm wondering on this basis, are all these #metoo folks changing the landscape so that we all start to just accept this was the norm, those are the times and practices..so maybe Harvey and spacey are just products of the sick environment and so just need treatment, not prison..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

"Well, that's the last cock I eat" - Marilyn Monroe.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

rusty cole wrote: »

I'm wondering on this basis, are all these #metoo folks changing the landscape so that we all start to just accept this was the norm, those are the times and practices..so maybe Harvey and spacey are just products of the sick environment and so just need treatment, not prison..

They could probably get some tips from the Irish bishops. Bitta rehab, confession and a change of scenery and Bob's yer uncle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Well, his wife did kill a guy when she drove drunk.

Are you talking about Michelle Obama? When did this happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

pc7 wrote: »

It didn't but I couldn't be bothered calling out the lie - the match was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,269 ✭✭✭✭Penn

No, Laura Bush. Shortly after she turned 17 she ran a stop sign and crashed into another car, killing the driver (who was a friend/classmate). I remember Family Guy did a joke about it years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Laura Bush when she was 17. I don't know if she was drink driving but strangely the driver of the other car that she killed seems to have been ex-boyfriend.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Penn wrote: »
    No, Laura Bush. Shortly after she turned 17 she ran a stop sign and crashed into another car, killing the driver (who was a friend/classmate). I remember Family Guy did a joke about it years ago

ah right, i'd googled michelle and couldn't' see anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Remember the early reports about Weinstein? The very first ones. Before the more serious allegations came flooding in.

The early reports were things like asking for massages and for women to watch him showering. The stuff reported about Louis CK is on this level.

People rightfully rounded on Weinstein straight away. Why do you think Louis CK should be treated differently?

That doesn't really make sense though, does it? He's not a Weinstein clone, guilty of the same crimes. More allegations may indeed surface, but saying that because Weinstein did something then Louis probably did it too just does not compute.

I'm seeing this weird connection people are making quite often, throwing Louis CK in with Weinstein or other predators in the industry as if what he did is on the same level. People are acting like this is a movie about powerful men in the entertainment industry harassing/abusing women, where all their stories are connected or somehow the same in order to fit into a nice flowing narrative. This is real life; not everything is part of some over-arching storyline.

The allegations against him span from the mid 90s to 2005 – at this stage in his career, Louis wasn't anywhere near the level he is now. By 2002, he had written and directed one mainstream movie, Pootie Tang, that was an astronomical flop. He was even fired by the studio before the editing of the film had been finished, and had burned all his bridges. In his own words from a 2012 interview:
    Louis CK: By the time it was finished, I was disgusted with the whole thing. And I was also a pariah. I was not hireable as a director. It ruined my filmmaking career. A good example of that is I haven’t been hired as a director since then.
    While he undoubtedly had people below him on the ladder, he was in no way some kind of powerhouse in Hollywood who could make or break careers, like Weinstein. He was just another mildly successful comedy writer/stand-up comedian. As he said himself, the power he had was that these women admired him. His stand-up career only really began to take off after 2005, and he only began to hit the stratosphere after the success of his TV show Louie in 2010.

Having said all that, I'm really disappointed in him for what he put these women through and for how he kept it quiet. If it really was just a "dark period" he went through, he should have publicly admitted to his behaviour on his own accord. He became known as an insightful, introspective guy who was brutally honest about things, seemingly never worried about embarrassing himself or looking stupid. This shows that he wasn't really that guy.

It's even worse that he was evasive or outright denied the allegations when asked about them in the past. His recent "apology" was well written, but rings hollow now that he's essentially been forced to give it.

What Louis did was perverted, highly inappropriate, sick, disrespectful and plenty of other similar adjectives. However, from what I've read of the allegations, it doesn't come across to me as a manipulative, predatory thing ala Weinstein; more of a kind of pathetic compulsion. He apparently even made attempts to apologise to some of the women in question years ago, one of whom accepted his apology. I don't think what he's done is beyond the realms of forgiveness, and I really hope he'll be back someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Standman wrote: »
    Having said all that, I'm really disappointed in him for what he put these women through and for how he kept it quiet. If it really was just a "dark period" he went through, he should have publicly admitted to his behaviour on his own accord. He became known as an insightful, introspective guy who was brutally honest about things, seemingly never worried about embarrassing himself or looking stupid. This shows that he wasn't really that guy.

It seems a bit mad to suggest that people hold celebrities up to higher standards than themselves when the standard is apparently reached by not having a **** in front of other people, but as for admitting to it, I think that absolutely applies.

It's hardly an uncommon level of decency not to **** in front of other people but it is absolutely uncommon for anyone to volunteer something that damaging about themselves. I'd nearly go so far to say that it's unheard of, particularly in the public sphere.
    That Louis CK didn't volunteer that doesn't make him unusual.

It's hard to relate to what he did, but from that point, most people wouldn't have even been as open and apologetic as he was. I would argue that most people would've doubled down and denied it to the hilt and at best only giving the sort of mealy mouthed excuse that Spacey and Weinstein have given.

Most people wouldn't even be able to admit to themselves that they'd done what Louis CK did and how wrong it was, never mind give a public aplology.

It doesn't exhonerate him. I still think it was in itself a decent act and shows that he's not irredeemable.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,239 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Elizabeth Perkins (Big) held up a sign with James Woods' name on it at some 'Take Back The Work Place' march.

46498B4B00000578-0-image-a-34_1510546487869.jpg

Did Woods not date a young one too, was she underage?

I vaguely remember something about him and a young actress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Did Woods not date a young one too, was she underage?

I vaguely remember something about him and a young actress

He apparently tried to pick up Amber Tamblyn when she was sixteen. She says that when she told him her age he said 'even better".

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/amber-tamblyn-james-woods-open-letter-1202557447/

• Advertisement

James Woods is another person who just seemed sleazy as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,239 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

B0jangles wrote: »
    He apparently tried to pick up Amber Tamblyn when she was sixteen. She says that when she told him her age he said 'even better".

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/amber-tamblyn-james-woods-open-letter-1202557447/

Mrs. Tobias Funke :P

I'd beware the 'always seemed sleazy' business. I went to uni with a guy who looked like attractive puppies wouldn't be safe in his company, but was lovely. Another guy who was perfectly normal looking and seemed likeable left a woman for dead and went to prison for decades. You can't tell by looks.

That's disgusting about Woods and the 16 year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Standman wrote: »
    That doesn't really make sense though, does it? He's not a Weinstein clone, guilty of the same crimes. More allegations may indeed surface, but saying that because Weinstein did something then Louis probably did it too just does not compute.

Please read what I wrote again. I did NOT say that any more allegations will surface about Louis. I did NOT say that the totality of Louis's crimes will be equal to Harvey Weinstein's.

I'm saying, when the first reports came out about Weinstein, they were along the lines of him having women watching him shower and being naked in front of them and asking them to massage him. And people were completely disgusted with that. That was what the early furore was about.

Louis CK masturbated in front of women. I would put that on a par with the above behaviour of Harvey's.

Why should people be less disgusted about Louis's behaviour than the comparable behaviour of Weinstein? Which everyone WAS very disgusted about, not just his more serious crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Please read what I wrote again. I did NOT say that any more allegations will surface about Louis. I did NOT say that the totality of Louis's crimes will be equal to Harvey Weinstein's.

I'm saying, when the first reports came out about Weinstein, they were along the lines of him having women watching him shower and being naked in front of them and asking them to massage him. And people were completely disgusted with that. That was what the early furore was about.

Louis CK masturbated in front of women. I would put that on a par with the above behaviour of Harvey's.

Why should people be less disgusted about Louis's behaviour than the comparable behaviour of Weinstein? Which everyone WAS very disgusted about, not just his more serious crimes.

Fair enough, it seems I misinterpreted what you were saying.

I would say though, in response to your question above, that there are key differences between the earliest reports of Weinstein's behaviour and the allegations against Louis.

I think Louis' behaviour was comparable in the sense that it involved inappropriately exposing himself to women, etc., but certainly not on a par. Weinstein seems like an out-and-out predator, with no qualms at all in using his power to manipulate and pressure vulnerable women. It was definitely not the same with Louis, as far as power is concerned - he simply wasn't at that level.

By all accounts, Weinstein was your typical cliché of a sleazy movie producer. He was the gatekeeper to a stellar career, which he knew and brazenly took full advantage of for his own sexual gratification - and showed no signs of stopping. Even if he had never laid a finger on any of his victims, it is this abuse of power that was especially disgusting about Weinstein, not simply him exposing himself.

My issue is that people are framing the Louis CK incidents in the same light, as if Louis were some kind of gatekeeper to the entertainment industry like Weinstein, cynically preying on women who needed his stamp of approval.

As I outlined in my earlier post, that's just obviously not the case. See another excerpt from the article I cited earlier, talking about Louis during the production of Pootie Tang in 2001:
    Article: At the time Louis was a nobody, for lack of a better word. And so when he tried to work in some of his signature, challenging comedy he met serious resistance from Paramount. The studio hired editors to chop up Louis’ final cut, then locked reels without allowing his feedback to be considered.

In the words of the article, he was a "nobody" around the time period in question. He couldn't even influence the studio he was working with for his own benefit, let alone help anyone else's career. And if he was a nobody beforehand, he was even worse off afterwards.

Sure, call what Louis did disgusting all day long - I'll be right there with you - but my point is that I don't think he belongs in the same category as Weinstein and other predators in the industry.

And now some serious allegations against Sylvester Stallone. He's accused of rape and gang rape of a 16 year old girl with his now deceased bodyguard. (The bodyguard was shot by California Police in 2013).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5081605/Sylvester-Stallone-accused-forcing-teen-threesome.html

A police report was filed at the time, in 1986, but the alleged victim chose not to pursue the matter at the time.

Also, it's really creepy how Stallone was accused of raping his half-sister a year later, in 1987, and despite denying the claims, he paid her 2 million dollars, and continues to pay her a yearly fee of nearly 200, 000 dollars. Just wow...

And this is taken from a rather creepy 1989 Rolling Stone article, where pretty much everyone is trying to bed a barely 19 year old Uma Thurman.
    "I was here last week at the same table," she says, after returning from her brief chat. "Sly Stallone was at the next table. He was with a woman, and as soon as she left to go to the ladies' room, he asked me for my phone number. I said I didn't have a phone. I kept putting him down. Finally I said, 'Look, I'll go skywriting and write my number in the sky.'"

She did date older guys, significantly older, I might add, but that article makes out like she should be proud she's getting hit on so much.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/hot-cover-19890518
    Candie wrote: »
    I'd beware the 'always seemed sleazy' business. I went to uni with a guy who looked like attractive puppies wouldn't be safe in his company, but was lovely. Another guy who was perfectly normal looking and seemed likeable left a woman for dead and went to prison for decades. You can't tell by looks.

That's disgusting about Woods and the 16 year old.

Not even the worst of it-he's dated teenagers all his life, even up until recently. He was 66 when he dated a 19 year old. When he was asked about it, he literally said 'everyone loves a puppy'.
    Tbf, most of those were over the age of consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭Varik

With productions now being cancelled how long until SAG and other unions as well as the actors themselves demand something in return for loss of exposure, wasted time, and since the project is binned they're not getting any residuals.

Stuffs being canned from a refuted allegations at time so they're just guilty, and that's it as for the most part few of these are going to court to give the person the chance to clear their name.

Comedian and Senator Al Franken done made an idiot of himself-to say the least. Not just an account of what happened(forcible kissing), but also a photograph of him groping the same model while she was asleep.

http://www.kabc.com/2017/11/16/leeann-tweeden-on-senator-al-franken/

Could very well be the end of his career in politics. And you've got the anti-Trump people trying to make out that it's 'not as bad'. This dude white knighted all over the place-claiming we should 'believe women'-now he's trying to be all like 'oh, it wasn't that bad'...
    What a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Comedian and Senator Al Franken done made an idiot of himself-to say the least. Not just an account of what happened(forcible kissing), but also a photograph of him groping the same model while she was asleep.

http://www.kabc.com/2017/11/16/leeann-tweeden-on-senator-al-franken/

Could very well be the end of his career in politics. And you've got the anti-Trump people trying to make out that it's 'not as bad'. This dude white knighted all over the place-claiming we should 'believe women'-now he's trying to be all like 'oh, it wasn't that bad'...
    What a scumbag.
    I'm anti Trump, I'm assuming the allegations to be true and view the behaviour to be absolutely disgusting. I imagine plenty do, I definitely don't think it should be made into a partisan issue. Although worryingly Roy Moore is presently getting on rather well in the Senate elections even in the wake of sexual assault allegations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

And now some serious allegations against Sylvester Stallone. He's accused of rape and gang rape of a 16 year old girl with his now deceased bodyguard. (The bodyguard was shot by California Police in 2013).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5081605/Sylvester-Stallone-accused-forcing-teen-threesome.html

A police report was filed at the time, in 1986, but the alleged victim chose not to pursue the matter at the time.

Also, it's really creepy how Stallone was accused of raping his half-sister a year later, in 1987, and despite denying the claims, he paid her 2 million dollars, and continues to pay her a yearly fee of nearly 200, 000 dollars. Just wow...

And this is taken from a rather creepy 1989 Rolling Stone article, where pretty much everyone is trying to bed a barely 19 year old Uma Thurman.

She did date older guys, significantly older, I might add, but that article makes out like she should be proud she's getting hit on so much.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/hot-cover-19890518

Not even the worst of it-he's dated teenagers all his life, even up until recently. He was 66 when he dated a 19 year old. When he was asked about it, he literally said 'everyone loves a puppy'.
    Tbf, most of those were over the age of consent.

Wow is there anyone in Hollywood whos not a pervert ?

Advertisement