Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GO'H National Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Unless you are the wheelchair entrants' winner and only get €750 for your (frankly incredible) efforts

How does that compare to other marathon's of similar status?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Unless you are the wheelchair entrants' winner and only get €750 for your (frankly incredible) efforts

There were 4 wheelchair athletes competing from memory. €750 is generous.

How are their efforts any more incredible than that in of able bodied athletes? Wheelchair athletes recover faster. You see the top guys doing London a week after Boston.

Chivito550 wrote: »

How are their efforts any more incredible than that in of able bodied athletes? Wheelchair athletes recover faster. You see the top guys doing London a week after Boston.

He never said it was anymore incredible than able bodied athletes.

Maybe more than 4 would do it if the prize money was better.

Should we not be trying to promote this part of the sport also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I just feel €750 doesn't exactly compare well to the first prize for men and women of €12,000 . It's quite a difference regardless of how much effort it might be to wheelchair athletes in comparison to able bodied athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Fair play to Gary he deserves his time in the limelight if thats what floats his boat. A lot lesser 'athletic' achievements have garnered way more publicity recently. In all the fuss the fact that the man ran 2 sub 2.20 marathons in a month at 43 has kind of been lost. Hes inspiring to me anyway and if you wanted a roll modle for children about 'not giving up on your dteams' Gary could be the poster boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

Absolutely milking it. Far superior athletes never get 10% of the coverage he is getting right now.

so he should tell them no he wont appear on tv because far superior athletes do t get 10% of the coverage he gets.....actually on reflection i find it quite ironic that an athletics journalist is giving out about coverage of an athlete and the promotion of athletics ....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

S.L.F. wrote: »
    Curious as to how someone who trains and races so much and runs classes can also provide an adequate coaching service.

I don't know how good his coaching service is, but I doubt he runs more than 15 hours/week, and classes are, say another 10 hours? He doesn't have another job, so that leaves plenty of time for other things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

RayCun wrote: »
    thinking about it some more yesterday, a big part of the problem is the relaxed attitude to championship entry. Athletes and teams are supposed to be declared in advance, but teams aren't, and Freddie was only declared the day before.

They should publish a provisional list two weeks before, so clubs can check for omissions and other problems, and a final list one week before. If you're not on the final list, you're not in the championship.

This was provided and updated regularly. Including teams . http://www.athleticsireland.ie/downloads/other/Marathon_Entry_List_261017.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

youngrun wrote: »
    This was provided and updated regularly. Including teams . http://www.athleticsireland.ie/downloads/other/Marathon_Entry_List_261017.pdf

Yeah, it was updated all the way up to the day before the marathon :)

so he should tell them no he wont appear on tv because far superior athletes do t get 10% of the coverage he gets.....actually on reflection i find it quite ironic that an athletics journalist is giving out about coverage of an athlete and the promotion of athletics ....

Yeh on reflection I’d agree with you. Can’t blame him for taking advantage of the opportunity.

But I don’t believe this whole episode paints Irish athletics in a good light, so yes I would rather no coverage than this kind of coverage.

• Advertisement

Yeh on reflection I’d agree with you. Can’t blame him for taking advantage of the opportunity.

But I don’t believe this whole episode paints Irish athletics in a good light, so yes I would rather no coverage than this kind of coverage.

Sometimes this kind of coverage can cause an association to react and correct their problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Curious as to how someone who trains and races so much and runs classes can also provide an adequate coaching service.

His coaching services has produced results from what I have seen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Sometimes this kind of coverage can cause an association to react and correct their problems.

Up to the members , clubs and counties to make changes they think fit, likely to happen one would imagine at next AI Congress. Leitrim April 2018 ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭S.L.F.

RuMan wrote: »
    Some bitter people on here.
    GOH makes his living from coaching and running why shouldn't he make use of the publicity? Only the most begrudging could have a problem with that, he's had some horrendous luck ,delighted for him and wish him all the best.

I think it worked out well in the end...Freddie got a few quid and Gary won his trophy.
    I can see how some people think it's gone into overdrive. Is it really a reflection of people being bitter or is it just people pointing out the fact that it's being so publicised?
    Nobody denies he's had sh×t luck and everyone would want to see an underdog win.

I don't see the bitterness in this thread at all.
    It's more like a hot topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭RuMan

Absolutely milking it. Far superior athletes never get 10% of the coverage he is getting right now.

:rolleyes:

Given we dont have any marathoners under 2:15 you could say no Irish marathoner should get any coverage as they don't rate internationally.

He's national marathon champion and he's got a pretty compelling life story, dont see the problem with the coverage, best of luck to him.

Cork City are sh*te compared to Barcelona why are the media covering them ?

:rolleyes:

Given we dont have any marathoners under 2:15 you could say no Irish marathoner should get any coverage as they don't rate internationally.

He's national marathon champion and he's got a pretty compelling life story, dont see the problem with the coverage, best of luck to him.

Cork City are sh*te compared to Barcelona why are the media covering them ?

Because the coverage wasn’t gained on merit. It was gained off pure incompetence and lack of proper communication from the governing body. That’s the only reason this has made the news. Scullion would have comfortably won this title if he didn’t go chasing after Freddy, who he thought was eligible to win.

Like the 4x400 London 2012 fiasco, this is not a good news story for Irish athletics. Gary O’Hanlon ran brilliantly, but so have many others over the years in the marathon, and on the track, and nothing was said about them. This is an unfortunate set of events, which has turned into a positive for Gary. I don’t believe he’d get this coverage for winning a marathon in 2:18 in any ordinary instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭ooter

What way did the prize money work, could Freddy not claim the 4th place money if he was national champion, did he end up gaining financially having the national title taken from him?

Because the coverage wasn’t gained on merit. It was gained off pure incompetence and lack of proper communication from the governing body. That’s the only reason this has made the news. Scullion would have comfortably won this title if he didn’t go chasing after Freddy, who he thought was eligible to win.

Like the 4x400 London 2012 fiasco, this is not a good news story for Irish athletics. Gary O’Hanlon ran brilliantly, but so have many others over the years in the marathon, and on the track, and nothing was said about them. This is an unfortunate set of events, which has turned into a positive for Gary. I don’t believe he’d get this coverage for winning a marathon in 2:18 in any ordinary instance.

There's a lot of speculation in the 1st part of that post! Who knows what " would have happened".

GOH is national champion and he's got a bit of publicity, good luck to him. It's a good news story for GOH and might lead to better organization in the future.

ooter wrote: »
    What way did the prize money work, could Freddy not claim the 4th place money if he was national champion, did he end up gaining financially having the national title taken from him?

He got 5k for 4th place as far as Krusty's post said which is more than the prize fund for the Irish Championship.

Now if you can't claim both prizes then I wonder would he have fought it if the prize money had have been more for the Championship?

p.s. I may not have all my facts right there but that's what I got from the Krusty's post.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

p.s. I may not have all my facts right there but that's what I got from the Krusty's post.

All set out pretty clearly in the rules.

• Advertisement

All set out pretty clearly in the rules.

Nice

I take back Dublin marathon being greedy when I see a prize for first 10 and even money for women and the price of the t-shirts *if they did actually pay that.

Still think they should allow transfers or postponement though under certain conditions like injury or unfortunate events around family sickness etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Jaysus he has to milk it even if it was a sham, why would he not.

He only won because Scullion was racing Freddie and he blew up. No whinging or moaning from Scullion though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Come on Chivito, you're better than what ifs.

GOH beat Scullion on the day. You can only beat those who show up on the day and GOH beat every single of one of them that was eligible for Nats.

You're actually criticising the lack of coverage of previous marathons to justify your view that GOH doesn't merit this time around. Bizarre.

Nice

I take back Dublin marathon being greedy when I see a prize for first 10 and even money for women and the price of the t-shirts *if they did actually pay that.

Still think they should allow transfers or postponement though under certain conditions like injury or unfortunate events around family sickness etc.

They need to sort out the trophy for the Irish Women's Championship as well.

Djoucer wrote: »
    Come on Chivito, you're better than what ifs.

GOH beat Scullion on the day. You can only beat those who show up on the day and GOH beat every single of one of them that was eligible for Nats.

You're actually criticising the lack of coverage of previous marathons to justify your view that GOH doesn't merit this time around. Bizarre.

Appreciate other people’s take on it. Just think the whole thing was a bit of a farce personally, and is best forgotten.

If everybody knew clearly that Freddy wasn’t eligible before the race started, then it’s fairly obvious that Scullion would have won that race.

The whole thing was a shambles.

Appreciate other people’s take on it. Just think the whole thing was a bit of a farce personally, and is best forgotten.

If everybody knew clearly that Freddy wasn’t eligible before the race started, then it’s fairly obvious that Scullion would have won that race.

The whole thing was a shambles.

Bit OTT, some real negativity around athletics.

Don't think anyone is claiming any Irish marathoner is world class but winning a National Championship still has some merit.

Lots of other sports here where winning a national title is celebrated.

Giving a Kenyan the title in the 1st place was a shambles but it's been sorted out and we'll done GOH, 1st Irishman home and consequently National Marathon Champion.

Bit OTT, some real negativity around athletics.

Don't think anyone is claiming any Irish marathoner is world class but winning a National Championship still has some merit.

Lots of other sports here where winning a national title is celebrated.

Giving a Kenyan the title in the 1st place was a shambles but it's been sorted out and we'll done GOH, 1st Irishman home and consequently National Marathon Champion.

Winning a national title is a big deal, you’re right. It could be argued though it’s clearly not a massive deal for some in the marathon when the likes of Pollock, Seaward, Hehir opted not to run it. It’s the nature of the event though, and the big city marathons will take precedence for many. But it certainly wasn’t a particularly deep field. But fair play to Gary for running such a great PB. He got the best out of himself, but I do believe Scullion was very hard done by.

It was a shambles. No two ways about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Winning a national title is a big deal, you’re right. It could be argued though it’s clearly not a massive deal for some in the marathon when the likes of Pollock, Seaward, Hehir opted not to run it. It’s the nature of the event though, and the big city marathons will take precedence for many. But it certainly wasn’t a particularly deep field. But fair play to Gary for running such a great PB. He got the best out of himself, but I do believe Scullion was very hard done by.

It was a shambles. No two ways about it.

Scullion certainly knew GOH was in the race. GOH beat him fairly. As has been said before, you can only race those who are there - why the begrudgery ?

For what it’s worth, away from all the rubbish that has happened this week, I think GO’H’s performance was absolutely remarkable, at the age of 43, so soon after a previous PB in Berlin. With 6 to be selected in the marathon for the European Championships in the marathon next year, and with Gary now national champion, a sub 2:18 in any marathon next year should see him in the team for Berlin. Would that make him the oldest ever Irish athlete to compete in Olympics, Worlds or Europeans?

• Advertisement

kit3 wrote: »
    Scullion certainly knew GOH was in the race. GOH beat him fairly. As has been said before, you can only race those who are there - why the begrudgery ?

Both were running for gold. Scullion thought he had to beat Freddy, Gary didn’t think he needed to beat Freddy. Scullion probably would have run differently if he knew Freddy wasn’t in the running. Doesn’t take a genius to work this out. No begrudgery. It’s just simply unfairness. They didn’t start the race with the same information as each other.

Advertisement