Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Hamlet. wrote: »
    Gay community acting disgusted by Spacey's timing at coming out is just as bad as Spacey's timing really. Only concerned about their own cause.

pretty much every "oppressed minority" is desperately looking for something to be offended by at the moment.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

mikeysmith wrote: »
    The gay community can't be too happy with his statement

We aren't. Not in the slightest. Many are very angry. Spacey is a sexual predator of teenage boys and his extremely belated coming out amidst the emerging scandals has just made the homophobes think that they were right all along in conflating homosexuality with paedophelia.

He's a despicable filthy coward. If he had any guts he would have come out 20 years ago. But no, he chose to hide in the closet so as to remain bankable and prey on teenage boys. Hollywood are a shower of despicable hypocrites of the highest order.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Hamlet. wrote: »
    Gay community acting disgusted by Spacey's timing at coming out is just as bad as Spacey's timing really. Only concerned about their own cause.

Really, so LGBT people aren't disgusted at Spacey's extremely belated coming out in order to save his own vile skin and to deflect attention from his deviant actions because we are angry at his timing and motives - but no, we are supposedly only concerned at our own cause? And what "cause" might that be? What are you really implying?

Thinly veiled homophobia if I ever saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I remember George Michael getting a lot of criticism throughout the 90's from the gay community for not coming out until he was in his mid 30's (despite it being pretty much an open secret, especially this side of the pond) and it wasn't until he was arrested in LA that he finally did 'come out' publicly (no pun intended :P) on CNN but obviously nothing he did in anyway compares to what Spacey is being accused of here of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

You see that's the whole problem here, the story is about Spacey coming out when in reality it should be 100% about the fact he attempted to abuse a 14 year old boy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

My money would be on him issuing another apology only this time apologising for the timing of his "coming out" and that he just didn't want to go on 'denying his sexuality any longer' or some other similarly cliched nonsense.

Ultimately I feel he will attempt to get the public to see him at the time as being a guy in his mid 20's who was struggling with his sexuality and made a drunken mistake.
    It would be a risky game for him to play as it's based on an assumption that no-one else will come forward.

His statement just seemed strange in general. Panic written all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

This is becoming a witch hunt now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

IT just shows Hollywood's self-gratification, a practical circle of self-masturbators. LA Confidential shows this ugly, dark undercurrent of Hollywood that they tried to pretend was in the past. And then they rewarded the film with Oscars.

Probably had a ton of insiders. The problem is that 'hearsay' doesn't stand up in court-even if you are protected by the first amendment.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5031097/Kevin-Spacey-accused-assaulting-journalist-s-relative.html

The even more disturbing thing about Spacey, is how he's like 'Oh yeah, more stories will emerge...' it shows a distinct predatory behaviour. Like, 'it's them telling stories'-no shame in his actions.

From reading up on this-Spacey was known to 'hang out' with young guys-well below age of consent, and very much the age of Anthony Rapp when he was a teen. He'd take em to breakfast, where Spacey would be bleary eyed, hungover or coming down.

Yeah-the claims he was 'mocking a disabled person'...uh, no Meryl-he was making fun of himself. The 'idiot' that he knows he, like all of us, can often be. The reporter in question has cerebal palsy, but no stammer or anything-he speaks as eloqeuntly as most journalists. But that didn't stop the media lying again.

There have been creep stories about Spacey circulating for years. Think there is a thread on reddit about it and if its anything to go by he is gonna be in a hell of a lot of bother. I would think Netflix were aware of his antics by how quickly they acted.

On a side note actually played in a poker tournament with Anthony Rapp in the Wynn in Vegas. First time I ever was aware of him as others players were fawning over him but he was genuinely a very nice guy and asking me about Ireland and all things Irish. Was sorry to hear he went through that ordeal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

eviltwin wrote: »
    This is becoming a witch hunt now.

yep its Operation Yewtree part II

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I think in time there will be a focus on the lawyers and lawfirms who worked on paying off victims of sexual assault and writing up non disclosure agreements.

These law firms covered up for sex offenders, when these offenders should have been jailed and on a sex offenders register. They helped force victims into silence thus opening the door for hundreds more victims.

Weinsteins lawyers and his victims lawyers knew what he was like and yet did nothing to bring it to public attention which could have prevent dozens more women going through this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

philstar wrote: »
    yep its Operation Yewtree part II

There’s literally no investigation. Weinstein isn’t likely to be investigated either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

we'll see

• Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Penn

There’s literally no investigation. Weinstein isn’t likely to be investigated either.

He's literally being investigated by police for sexual assault and possibly rape. Why they haven't brought him in for questioning or anything is unknown, but he is being investigated and considering the focus on the New York District Attorney who it seems took donations for Weinstein after dismissing a previous investigation against him, and the publicity surrounding the entire thing which wasn't there previously, it's highly unlikely Weinstein is going to be able to pay anyone off this time. No one will want to risk being seen to be helping him.

philstar wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

we'll see

would you consider an investigation into Weinstein a witch hunt?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    it should be 100% about the fact he attempted to abuse a 14 year old boy.

Hey.... no pedo bashing please!

(As left wing groups in America will tell you)

Penn wrote: »
    He's literally being investigated by police for sexual assault and possibly rape. Why they haven't brought him in for questioning or anything is unknown, but he is being investigated and considering the focus on the New York District Attorney who it seems took donations for Weinstein after dismissing a previous investigation against him, and the publicity surrounding the entire thing which wasn't there previously, it's highly unlikely Weinstein is going to be able to pay anyone off this time. No one will want to risk being seen to be helping him.

Oh wasn’t aware of that. Most of the charges are not being investigated though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Was thinking back about Spacey's career, and essentially it was over in a very, very short spell of time. Glengarry, Glen Ross to American Beauty was his 'career', really-7 years in total. By the time the 00's hit, he was already on the backburner, playing second fiddle or supporting roles (Ordinary Decent Criminal signalled the end. His one lead role in that time, he directed and starred in-and it flopped). This despite 2 Oscar wins. That's very odd. Seems like even at that time, there were 'rumours'.

He's still a massive name and has continued to be successful since the turn of the century.

He moved to lower key vanity projects such as Beyond The Sea and went back to working in theatre, moving to London for a decade before starring in one of the most popular and celebrated television productions of recent years. Just because he wasn't starring in Hollywood productions, doesn't mean he wasn't very active and yet still managed 3 Golden Globe nominations in that period for the few movies he did star in.

Its possible Rose McGowan could spend more time in prison than Weinstein!

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2017/1031/916377-rose-mcgowan/

The US is a daft country where anything goes.

Any trial of Weinstein will involve his lawyers cross examining victims and dragging them through the mud. Its unlikely he will spend a day in prison.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

JupiterKid wrote: »
    We aren't. Not in the slightest. Many are very angry. Spacey is a sexual predator of teenage boys and his extremely belated coming out amidst the emerging scandals has just made the homophobes think that they were right all along in conflating homosexuality with paedophelia.
    Yep and looking at the reporting of the matter there is also the smell of double standards even at this stage, beyond the attempted pass at an underage guy. There's talk of him chasing younger men(above legal age) and that alone is being seen as bad, whereas if he was straight that aspect would barely raise a mention. It would be all about the harassment. Similar with the buzz around the gay director(Bryan Singer). Him and his older rich powerful gay mates hang out with younger men at parties. And that's seen as bad, regardless of any alleged wrongdoing. Older rich and powerful straight guys surrounding themselves with young women at parties wouldn't be news at all.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yep and looking at the reporting of the matter there is also the smell of double standards even at this stage, beyond the attempted pass at an underage guy. There's talk of him chasing younger men(above legal age) and that alone is being seen as bad, whereas if he was straight that aspect would barely raise a mention. It would be all about the harassment. Similar with the buzz around the gay director(Bryan Singer). Him and his older rich powerful gay mates hang out with younger men at parties. And that's seen as bad, regardless of any alleged wrongdoing. Older rich and powerful straight guys surrounding themselves with young women at parties wouldn't be news at all.

Completely agree. If he had tried it on with a 14 yr old girl there wouldn't be the same level of outrage.Hollywood homophobia at its finest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Its possible Rose McGowan could spend more time in prison than Weinstein!

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2017/1031/916377-rose-mcgowan/

The US is a daft country where anything goes.

Any trial of Weinstein will involve his lawyers cross examining victims and dragging them through the mud. Its unlikely he will spend a day in prison.

Jesus, I assumed before clicking that it would be due to her breaking a disclosure agreement, which would have surprised me as I'd say Rose spoke out safe in the assumption that with enough people behind her, Weinstein and others wouldn't go after her like that.

But it seems they're going after her in other ways...and this happened earlier in the year which just makes it all the more dubious to go after her now like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

eviltwin wrote: »
    Completely agree. If he had tried it on with a 14 yr old girl there wouldn't be the same level of outrage.Hollywood homophobia at its finest.

do you think, if it had been about a 14 year old girl we would have got the Harvey treatment. As it was the press focused on his coming out until it was pointed out that that wasn't the takeaway.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I think after reading more about the McGowan case, her actions have been a bit dubious.
    She was prepared to accept more money in September to stay silent and was on the verge of signing a new agreement, when the New York Times article by Farrow broke. Then she jumped on the anti Weinstein bandwagon.

Weinstein could and should have been exposed decades ago. Again his lawyers have a lot to answer for. I hope they can sleep soundly at night.

silverharp wrote: »
    do you think, if it had been about a 14 year old girl we would have got the Harvey treatment. As it was the press focused on his coming out until it was pointed out that that wasn't the takeaway.

I think people would be a lot more forgiving. I think there would be more questions about why a child was at an adult party alone. I think people would assume she looked older and more would be made of the fact he was drunk and stopped short of actually doing anything physical. His sexuality is irrelevant to most and its telling there is more outrage about how he chose to announce it than there is about the incident itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I think after reading more about the McGowan case, her actions have been a bit dubious.
    She was prepared to accept more money in September to stay silent and was on the verge of signing a new agreement, when the New York Times article by Farrow broke. Then she jumped on the anti Weinstein bandwagon.

Weinstein could and should have been exposed decades ago. Again his lawyers have a lot to answer for. I hope they can sleep soundly at night.

She acts like she's the one who broke all of this. She wasn't, and she'd likely still be silent now had that article not been published.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Hey.... no pedo bashing please!

(As left wing groups in America will tell you)

I never got the lefts apologising for this.

There was an article on salon about some guy talking about his attraction to 5 year old girls, and they had a background video of a girl doing ballet ... meanwhile he's talking about his fantasies etc ... really unsettling.

Yes it's Salon, the absolute gutter of the left but still ...

It's great that people are speaking out about this kind of thing but McGowan is only speaking out now because others did, she seemed quite happy to sign another NDA and take some cash but now she's positioned herself as some warrior who broke this story. What she is doing is no different to what Corey Feldman is trying to do, she saw a way to make her relevant again and she jumped at it. Fair play to her, it's just a shame that this change may end up going nowhere as the figure heads are McGowan and Feldman.

McGowan was interviewed in 2011 and in it she spoke about working on an upcoming Victor Salve film Rosewood Lane. It's funny how back then she isn't speaking out for victims and has no problem working with another Weinstein.

You’re starring in the upcoming thriller Rosewood Lane, which was written and directed by Powder’s Victor Salva, whose films often reflect his gay sensibility and outsider mentality. Is that the case with Rosewood Lane?
    I don’t think so. And I do not have good clothes in that film either; I had to wear office-lady clothes and it killed me. That was an interesting dynamic, because Victor had never done a movie with a female lead, and he was uncomfortable. He really doesn’t relate to women well. He was open about that, which was slightly jarring, because I don’t really know what to do with that information.

Well, Salva is a convicted and registered sex offender, which might account for some social awkwardness.
    Yeah, I still don’t really understand the whole story or history there, and I’d rather not, because it’s not really my business. But he’s an incredibly sweet and gentle man, lovely to his crew, and a very hard worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brainfreeze

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Seems a big step for what is a single unproven allegation.

Wonder does it mean there is alot more to come

Season 6 was always the last season. I find it a bit sinister from netflix that they are using this recent allegation to renounce this, as if it was a moral decision.

There was a big debate whether season 6 was even going to happen at all, and that was only in September! That had nothing to do with Kevin Spacey.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

It would be a risky game for him to play as it's based on an assumption that no-one else will come forward.

Well, with regards to underage boys, maybe there are no others.
    His statement just seemed strange in general. Panic written all over it.

Could have been, absolutely, but it's worked. I mean look:
    BillyBobBS wrote: »
    You see that's the whole problem here, the story is about Spacey coming out when in reality it should be 100% about the fact he attempted to abuse a 14 year old boy.

So whether it was a panic move or not, it has worked to a large degree.

Even when they do get back to focusing on the allegation, they will still have to discuss it in the context that Spacey is gay and hadn't come out at the time, was drunk, in his 20's and.... blah blah blah... as that's what they're left with now. Perhaps I'm wrong but for me, despite the annoyance of the gay community and the premature cancelling of the TV show, coming out might have just saved his career in the long term. Hollywood, I feel, are far more likely to give him the Polanski treatment than the Weinstein one.

Speaking of which, just seen that there's a breaking news story with the effect that the investigation on Winestein is widening in the UK. More allegations I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Hamlet.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Really, so LGBT people aren't disgusted at Spacey's extremely belated coming out in order to save his own vile skin and to deflect attention from his deviant actions because we are angry at his timing and motives - but no, we are supposedly only concerned at our own cause? And what "cause" might that be? What are you really implying?

Thinly veiled homophobia if I ever saw it.

There's a desire to be seen as a victim and a need for attention which is why so many gay stars are more concerned with his 'coming out' than the actual incident. An opportunity to appear outraged.

Advertisement