Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Billy86 wrote: »
    I don't think it's quite as savvy as he would have hoped. I just read it now, put 'Kevin spacey' into google on the mobile and about 80-90% of the results had 14 year old or something to that effect in the title.

Some very unsavoury stuff out there about him for a long time. There was a dig at Spacey's activities in 'Family Guy' a few years ago when one of the characters rushed in, saying he 'had just escaped from Kevin Spacey's basement!'

The writer of 'Family Guy' is Seth McFarland, the same guy who 'joked' at the Oscars some time ago, when the five female nominees for best actress were named, that they 'would not have to pretend to find Harvey Weinstein attractive anymore'. McFarland subsequently said that he was not joking, but was really angry, as a friend of his had recently told him that Weinstein had assaulted her.

Probably paederast rather than paedophile

Corey Haim was first raped when he was eleven, by a paedophile.

blinding wrote: »
    Is that Prince Andrew’s friend and wasn’t there some rumours of underage girls there also .

Clinton and Trump were also passengers on Lolita Airways.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    A good move - are you mad? His statement reads as conflating homosexuality with sexual deviance, feeding into homophobic prejudice. A few kiss and tells might come out? Big fucking deal. He’s a thick-skinned celebrity. Trying to explain away his actions by coming out is sickening and is in the same arena as Weinstein trying to engender sympathy for himself instead of his victims.

Someone questioning recently why nobody is outing the paedophiles in Hollywood received the answer that it may be because, as so many in the industry are gay, they might be afraid of a backlash to the community as some people might conflate paedophiles with gays. It looks like this is what one of their own, Kevin Spacey, has just done! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Clinton and Trump were also passengers on Lolita Airways.

Have heard the stories about Clinton for years but never heard anything about Trump being a regular? Clinton is a known sexual predator though so i well believe some of the charges thrown at him from various women.

strandroad wrote: »
    There probably is. That Kevin Spacey is gay was known long ago and not the issue as such, but there were also stories like these:
    http://defamer.gawker.com/people-keep-telling-us-about-kevin-spacey-s-aggressive-1686507320
    Basically he was not only cruising or partying, but he would go after people on set and get them fired if they wouldn't respond.

He was a nasty piece of work. Apparently known as Space Monster. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Have heard the stories about Clinton for years but never heard anything about Trump being a regular? Clinton is a known sexual predator though so i well believe some of the charges thrown at him from various women.
    "I've known Jeff for 15 years. Terrific guy,'' Trump told New York magazine in a 2002 profile of Epstein written three years before Epstein began to be investigated. "He's a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side. No doubt about it — Jeffrey enjoys his social life."
    Mark Epstein, Jeffrey's brother, testified in 2009 that Trump flew on Jeffrey's private jet at least once. Meanwhile, message pads [see below] from Epstein's Palm Beach mansion that were seized by investigators and obtained by VICE News indicate that Trump called Epstein twice in November of 2004.
    Garten said Trump had never been to Epstein's home. But a 2002 story in Vanity Fair listed Trump as one of a small group of mega-rich businessmen, including newspaper publisher Mort Zuckerman and Revlon chairman Ronald Perelman, who periodically dined with Epstein at his Palm Beach estate. And a 2003 story in New York reported that Trump had dined at Epstein's Upper East Side home, a nine-story building that is reportedly the largest private residence in Manhattan.
    During this same period, Epstein and Maxwell were repeat guests at Mar-A-Lago. In 2000, they hung out there with Prince Andrew, who arrived for vacation on Trump's private plane. That same year, the Palm Beach Post reported that Trump, Epstein, Prince Andrew, and Maxwell were all at a tennis tournament/celebrity event at Mar-A-Lago.

More here:
    https://news.vice.com/article/the-salacious-ammo-even-donald-trump-wont-use-in-a-fight-against-hillary-clinton-bill-clinton
    https://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/04/jeffrey-epstein-trump-lawsuit-sex-trafficking-237983

He was hoping for protection from the gay rights groups perhaps, it was hardly a secret he was gay, but there are many 'stories' about him for years if you Google it.

GLAAD has castigated Spacey for trying to deflect from Anthony Rapp's accusation of him by coming out as gay.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

brooke 2 wrote: »
    GLAAD has castigated Spacey for trying to deflect from Anthony Rapp's accusation of him by coming out as gay.
    And dead bloody right they are too. The deflection is bad enough, but since he is gay, surely he would be well aware that conflating his sexuality and an "incident" with basically a child would feed the prejudice against gay men that conflates them with being kiddie fiddlers? So he's either thick as two short planks(like Ms Streep. Who is keeping her head down). Or he gives not a tinkers curse but for to save his own skin.

The kicker for this is all those men and women who work in the film business(and other media) who are in it for the craft and career and who aren't utter bloody ****. Which would be the vast majority. And they are now going to be looked at with some suspicion, which is wrong. But any business that has so many oft desperate hopefuls trying to get in will nigh on guarantee that predators of all types will gravitate towards such an environment.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

It's all coming out now in the daily mail

Spacey's father was a natzi paedophile rapist

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

mikeysmith wrote: »
    It's all coming out now in the daily mail

Spacey's father was a natzi paedophile rapist

That's been known for well over a 2 or 3 decades-about his dad I mean. It's why Spacey doesn't use his real surname, using his mom's maiden name instead. He's always tried to disassociate himself from it.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/i-dont-know-many-who-dont-have-a-kevin-spacey-story-irish-comedian-weighs-in-on-allegations-36273752.html

Aisling Bea weighing in-she notes how 'everyone' had a Spacey story-about Kev, I mean, no 'Irish Weinstein' crud, it was about him, not about anyone else.

And a reporter has also weighed in. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5031097/Kevin-Spacey-accused-assaulting-journalist-s-relative.html

Saw some people weighing in on the Spacey debacle, with the 'I'm gay, I've been drunk, it's never made me want to molest a child'.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Hollywood is crumbling, isn't it. Jesus, for a place that left me starry eyed as a kid, having watched every Oscars since I was a sprog, and left me thinking it was Disneyland for adults, where dreams came true- it's a fcuking cesspit. Full of shame and dirt and secrets and cover ups. More cover ups than a Maybelline billboard. What a horrible place.

anna080 wrote: »
    Hollywood is crumbling, isn't it. Jesus, for a place that left me starry eyed as a kid, having watched every Oscars since I was a sprog, and left me thinking it was Disneyland for adults, where dreams came true- it's a fcuking cesspit. Full of shame and dirt and secrets and cover ups. More cover ups than a Maybelline billboard. What a horrible place.

It's pretty much LA confidential-which Spacey was in. But worse. And I was the same, I always watched it, as a kid. It was entertaining.

But a cesspit it was, it is, and a cesspit it always will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

strandroad wrote: »
    There probably is. That Kevin Spacey is gay was known long ago and not the issue as such, but there were also stories like these:
    http://defamer.gawker.com/people-keep-telling-us-about-kevin-spacey-s-aggressive-1686507320
    Basically he was not only cruising or partying, but he would go after people on set and get them fired if they wouldn't respond.

I have a friend in the movie business that knows him well, it's common knowledge. I'd like to stress that none of the stories I've heard involved force or underage individuals or threats of being fired, but that Spacey is gay was the worst kept secret in Hollywood, as was the fact that you stayed away from Spacey's trailer if you were a young good looking male because he was 'handsy' and overly familiar. Most laughed it off as Spacey being a bit of an old queen who was a bit pushy. All of those stories in that article sound very familiar, many are a carbon copy of those I'd heard gossiped, he had a perchant for young, small town, starstruck men that he groomed with attention and invites to parties.
    The current allegations though are quite disturbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

It's pretty much LA confidential-which Spacey was in. But worse. And I was the same, I always watched it, as a kid. It was entertaining.

But a cesspit it was, it is, and a cesspit it always will be.

That's what I was thinking earlier, in his books the Big Nowhere and LA Confidential he makes the Hollywood class out to be degenerates and hypocrites. He also wrote some pretty slanderous type stuff about dead celebrities, I wonder who his sources are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

My money would be on him issuing another apology only this time apologising for the timing of his "coming out" and that he just didn't want to go on 'denying his sexuality any longer' or some other similarly cliched nonsense.

Ultimately I feel he will attempt to get the public to see him at the time as being a guy in his mid 20's who was struggling with his sexuality and made a drunken mistake. I say that as I note from his statement he didn't just say that if it happened it would have been 'inappropriate behaviour' he said that if it happened it would have been 'inappropriate drunken behaviour'. So he's all primed to go down that road now I'd suggest Assuming other cases don't now follow in Weinsteinesque fashion of course.
    conorhal wrote: »
    I have a friend in the movie business that knows him well, it's common knowledge.

Aye and there was the following incident I posted about earlier in the thread from well over a decade ago now where he appeared to be getting quite close with some guy in a park.
    And there was this so he certainly seems to like guys but he could have been "rehearsing for a role" I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

What? Hollywood has been a cesspit since it’s very beginning. Actual Hollywood has been skid row for decades now. The casting couch was invented there. Scandals have been coming out of Hollywood on a regular basis since before the talkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

Rotten to the core and has been for a long time no doubt.

The Oscars takes the biscuit - these tossers take to the podium and accept their award by bloviating to the audience about some pressing issue (global warming, world hunger etc.), whilst the people they work for or maybe even the actors themselves are using their influence to sexually abuse men, women, even children. Toxic.

The amount of actors who stayed quiet and knew what was going on right under their noses is incredible. Clooney, Affleck, Damon to name a few. God knows what they got up to themselves tbh...

• Advertisement

The Oscars takes the biscuit - these tossers take to the podium and accept their award by bloviating to the audience about some pressing issue (global warming, world hunger etc.), whilst the people they work for or maybe even the actors themselves are using their influence to sexually abuse men, women, even children. Toxic.

Well ya, and that's precisely my point. It has always been a sh!t hole. But it's ability to self praise and pat itself on the back over the years had the capacity to pull the wool over my young eyes, and make me think this place is pretty magical. Of course there were rumours throughout the years but now it's actually crumbling. Too right I say. Maybe now they can rewrite that god awful sh!t show that was La La Land-which won a tonne of Oscars- and instead give us an accurate representation of what it can take to be famous in Hollyweird.

Edit: quoted the wrong person. Meant to quote mad muffin.

The virtue signalling for political gain last year from the likes of Streep was sickening.

Ipso wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking earlier, in his books the Bog Nowhere and LA Confidential he makes the Hollywood class out to be degenerates and hypocrites. He also wrote some pretty slanderous type stuff about dead celebrities, I wonder who his sources are.

IT just shows Hollywood's self-gratification, a practical circle of self-masturbators. LA Confidential shows this ugly, dark undercurrent of Hollywood that they tried to pretend was in the past. And then they rewarded the film with Oscars.

Probably had a ton of insiders. The problem is that 'hearsay' doesn't stand up in court-even if you are protected by the first amendment.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5031097/Kevin-Spacey-accused-assaulting-journalist-s-relative.html

The even more disturbing thing about Spacey, is how he's like 'Oh yeah, more stories will emerge...' it shows a distinct predatory behaviour. Like, 'it's them telling stories'-no shame in his actions.

From reading up on this-Spacey was known to 'hang out' with young guys-well below age of consent, and very much the age of Anthony Rapp when he was a teen. He'd take em to breakfast, where Spacey would be bleary eyed, hungover or coming down.
    The virtue signalling for political gain last year from the likes of Streep was sickening.

Yeah-the claims he was 'mocking a disabled person'...uh, no Meryl-he was making fun of himself. The 'idiot' that he knows he, like all of us, can often be. The reporter in question has cerebal palsy, but no stammer or anything-he speaks as eloqeuntly as most journalists. But that didn't stop the media lying again.

Streep was nauseating at the time but knowing all we know now it's actually infuriating. She's nothing but a big fat phoney. All that "off grid" nonsense only reinforced that in my eyes. Her biggest role to date is the one where she pretends to give a fcuk but is actually the biggest hypocrite of all. Give the woman an Oscar for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Didn’t Hollywood give Roman Polanski an Award even though he is wanted in America for Raping an underage girl . Was she 14 years old as well .

Don’t be looking to Hollywood for moral guidance or any guidance for that matter .

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Hamlet.

Gay community acting disgusted by Spacey's timing at coming out is just as bad as Spacey's timing really. Only concerned about their own cause.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Streep was nauseating at the time but knowing all we know now it's actually infuriating. She's nothing but a big fat phoney. All that "off grid" nonsense only enforced that in my eyes. Her biggest role to date is the one where she pretends to give a fcuk but is actually the biggest hypocrite of all. Give the woman an Oscar for that.
    They are Actress’s and Actors and keep their best performances for their awards speeches where they tell the rest of us how to behave .:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Oh deflection absolutely is smart. Which is why PR folk spend their whole careers engaging in it.

It's more than deflection because of the reasons I outlined. Had he not come out as gay the media would be now focused on him denying his sexuality. They could then write article after article attempting to out him and finishing each one off by reminding readers that Kevin Spacey has been accused of attempting to sexually assault an underage boy.

I get that it's not palatable to many that he is coming out as gay in response to this accusation (it shows what a scumbag he is for one) but you're naive if you can't see that by aligning himself with a minority hasn't closed off certain avenues of reporting which would have made the headlines today far worse for him.

Actually, I disagree. Every headline I’ve read on the subject today had been in the vein of being disgusted at him trying to use coming out as a shield against the accusations against him. The accusations have been mentioned in every article I’ve read. Some articles have made very little mention of his coming out, mostly focussing on the story of the actor who spoke out against him. The plan seems to be have been to distract people but pretty much everyone seems to realise what he is at. And on Twitter, many prominent gay people are criticising him. The minority doesn’t want him because he is conflating being gay with being deviant, a stereotype that gay people have fought hard against.

So what “avenues of reporting” do you think haven’t been explored bearing in mind that this is still a fairly new story and we likely haven’t heard the end of it?

Don't forget all the 'Trump' jokes, comments etc-then they read out the wrong damn winning movie with the 'stand up for Truth' speech.
    Seems like a massive gaff on Hollywood's biggest stage signalled revelations were coming down the pipeline.

Was thinking back about Spacey's career, and essentially it was over in a very, very short spell of time. Glengarry, Glen Ross to American Beauty was his 'career', really-7 years in total. By the time the 00's hit, he was already on the backburner, playing second fiddle or supporting roles (Ordinary Decent Criminal signalled the end. His one lead role in that time, he directed and starred in-and it flopped). This despite 2 Oscar wins. That's very odd. Seems like even at that time, there were 'rumours'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

_Dara_ wrote: »
    So what “avenues of reporting” do you think haven’t been explored bearing in mind that this is still a fairly new story and we likely haven’t heard the end of it?

I've already outlined which avenues of reporting he effectively shut down by coming out, twice or three times now, here's just one of them:
    They could then write article after article attempting to out him and finishing each one off by reminding readers that Kevin Spacey has been accused of attempting to sexually assault an underage boy.

Yes the media are still talking about the accusation at the moment (of course they are) but by 'coming out' he has largely changed the context in which the accusation is being spoken about. Had he not come out the context would have been that he is lying about his sexuality and that they (the media) have proof of it and reader/viewer, if he's lying about that, then he must be lying about not remembering that boy who says that he tried to rape him at a party when he was only 14 years old.

You might not think he accomplished much now but you can bet your ass that when the smoke clears, at some point down the line Spacey will be sitting with Barbra Walters (or whoever) and the bulk of the discussion will be his struggles with his sexuality. He's changed the narrative by doing what he did and it looks like they haven't stopped yet, as now his brother has gone to the media (again - rehashing an old interview were he detailed their troubled upbringing) claiming that their father raped him when he was young and made Kevin's life hell also:

Kevin Spacey's father sexually abused his own son for years

Spacey's older brother Randall Fowler, 62, described the current allegations leveled at his brother as 'disturbing' to DailyMail.com, as he acknowledged he had been made aware of them in the early hours of Monday morning.

Spacey, 58, claims not to recall the incident with Rapp, and has issued an apology of sorts for 'what would have been inappropriate drunken behavior.'

In a tweeted statement he went on to say that the story has encouraged him to 'address other things' about his life, speaking openly for the first time about his homosexuality and choice to now live 'as a gay man.'

Fowler has given some insight into what those 'other things' might be, as he admitted he was sexually abused by their father for years and that his mother knew of the abuse.

But, according to Fowler, along with older sister Julie, he and the notoriously secretive star shared a brutal upbringing in a 'house of horrors' dominated by their ultra right wing, perverted sadist of a father.

Hard to know if DM contacted the brother in order to rehash this old story, or he them, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the other way around as I see most media sources are running with the story now too. Damage limitation / deflection in full swing it would seem.

Advertisement