Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

anna080 wrote: »
    Spacey's statement is fcuking bizarre. "I don't remember that- whoops". Pretty much sums up the first paragraph.
    But it the next paragraph that's a real head scratcher- this story has encouraged me to address other things about my life.....
    Did he just make a connection between supposed paedophelia and homosexuality? Wtf.
    I chose to live as a gay man. I want to deal with this openly and honestly and that starts with explaining my own behavour ...
    You mean explaining the fact you don't remember seducing a 14 year old? Yea being gay doesn't explain that.

Very odd statement from Spacey.
    "I don't remember...".
    WTF.

I could be wrong but methinks he's going for the Stephen Fry defence (where the age of consent is a bit more fluid in homosexual relationships). Someone please correct me if I'm way off here. Don't want to be offending a whole demographic.

So yeah Spacey looks guilty as sin there.
    Just my take.

Yea the wording is very important here, I believe. He says he doesn't remember. Not that he denies such allegations, but that he doesn't remember. Which, to me, means it is plausible that it happened.

You just have to wonder how many times he does actually remember ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I'd say Spacey officially came out as gay to cut some stories off at that pass as it were. He would know that had he just said he didn't remember and left it at that, the door would have left the door wide open for a bunch of stories discussing his sexuality and no doubt they would have no trouble finding ex-lovers of his to sell their stories confirming Spacey as gay. This takes the sting out of all that and makes speculation almost pointless. It deflects away from the accusation too of course. Two birds with one stone. Dickhead extraordinaire of course but a good move from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Very odd statement from Spacey.
    "I don't remember...".
    WTF.

I could be wrong but methinks he's going for the Stephen Fry defence (where the age of consent is a bit more fluid in homosexual relationships). Someone please correct me if I'm way off here. Don't want to be offending a whole demographic.

So yeah Spacey looks guilty as sin there.
    Just my take.
    I thought that was the David Norris defence?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

a pedo is a pedo , Corey Haim was used like a chew toy at that age and it ruined his life. Spacey shouldnt be able to talk his way out of this

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I don't think it's quite as savvy as he would have hoped. I just read it now, put 'Kevin spacey' into google on the mobile and about 80-90% of the results had 14 year old or something to that effect in the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Interesting how he chose to say "I don't remember", instead of "I would never do such a thing"..

Very telling.

Billy86 wrote: »
    I don't think it's quite as savvy as he would have hoped. I just read it now, put 'Kevin spacey' into google on the mobile and about 80-90% of the results had 14 year old or something to that effect in the title.

It was like that before he released his statement though. Had he not come out as gay then there would have been exes of his queuing up sell stories which the rags would have presented as outing Spacey as a liar and how that means he must have abused that kid as well he does sleep with men.... etc. It's not that what he did stopped this story it's that it prevented so many other stories, or at least the exclusivity of them.

silverharp wrote: »
    a pedo is a pedo , Corey Haim was used like a chew toy at that age and it ruined his life. Spacey shouldnt be able to talk his way out of this

Probably paederast rather than paedophile

Probably paederast rather than paedophile

ok but its still an abusive relationship

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    ok but its still an abusive relationship
    Since we're not living in classical Greece, yes absolutely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

You haven't heard even a fraction of it yet. I will remind everyone that I posted a flight log earlier that revealed Kevin Spacey was a passenger on the notorious Lolita Airways that was being run by convicted paedophile Jeffrey Epstein.

As warped as the whole thing is, these Hollywood types are small time crooks compared to what's coming next...just wait and see.
    Is that Prince Andrew’s friend and wasn’t there some rumours of underage girls there also .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It was like that before he released his statement though. Had he not come out as gay then there would have been exes of his queuing up sell stories which the rags would have presented as outing Spacey as a liar and how that means he must have abused that kid as well he does sleep with men.... etc. It's not that what he did stopped this story it's that it prevented so many other stories, or at least the exclusivity of them.

Potentially, but I don't think it really leaves the flood gates closed because more stories will still sell, so the cynicism of news media may still (rightfully) f*ck him over. With a bit of luck and justice he'll wind up like Jeffrey Jones.

Coming out as gay in response to his attempt at scoring with a 14-year-old is... ugh.

He probably thought, "hey, people love it when someone famous comes out as gay".

which might have been news in 1997

DNYkZFpXcAEBN8-.jpg

Billy86 wrote: »
    Potentially, but I don't think it really leaves the flood gates closed because more stories will still sell...

Yeah, but like I said, they won't have much exclusivity now with regards to his sexuality given that he has now outed himself. If he hadn't, then the angle of the stories would all have been 'He must have tried to seduce that underage boy as look, he's gay and he's lying about that too'. Now stories with any of his exes will just be stories with his exes. Unless of course they can find someone he slept with that was underage of course, which I wouldn't say is beyond the bounds of possibility at all.

He could very well be tied up in the Corey Haim stuff too as Spacey was a big name from the mid-90's and he would fit in with some of their statements if perhaps not them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

I assumed he outed himself a few years ago.

looks like Seth knew something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

How deep does this go that's the question. There is plenty of stuff out there about political figureheads in the UK in particular taking part in sex parties with children as recent as 2010. It's blindingly obvious there is a large cohort of these sick pedos in positions of power both in the UK and the US. But that's them and tbh i'm more worried about what goes on here in our own country were let's face it we have previous in this area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I'd say Spacey officially came out as gay to cut some stories off at that pass as it were. He would know that had he just said he didn't remember and left it at that, the door would have left the door wide open for a bunch of stories discussing his sexuality and no doubt they would have no trouble finding ex-lovers of his to sell their stories confirming Spacey as gay. This takes the sting out of all that and makes speculation almost pointless. It deflects away from the accusation too of course. Two birds with one stone. Dickhead extraordinaire of course but a good move from him.

A good move - are you mad? His statement reads as conflating homosexuality with sexual deviance, feeding into homophobic prejudice. A few kiss and tells might come out? Big fucking deal. He’s a thick-skinned celebrity. Trying to explain away his actions by coming out is sickening and is in the same arena as Weinstein trying to engender sympathy for himself instead of his victims.

Coming out as gay in response to his attempt at scoring with a 14-year-old is... ugh.

He probably thought, "hey, people love it when someone famous comes out as gay".

Lol, yeah, totally. He was probably like “Hey, people are really PC these days so nobody will criticise me because I’m gay!”. Er, no, Kev. Being gay doesn’t excuse it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Lol, yeah, totally. He was probably like “Hey, people are really PC these days so nobody will criticise me because I’m gay!”. Er, no, Kev. Being gay doesn’t excuse it.
    It also shows how out of touch he is. Yes people are more accepting, but not like in the Lovey Town he inhabits. Note how gay men who have rumours around them about partying with younger men. It's seen as bad, even if the guys are of age, but straight men with much younger women rarely gets a mention and if it does it doesn't get nearly as much of a "creep" factor applied to it. Mick Jagger a great grandfather is now apparently going out with a 22 year old and that gets more of a "you go Mick!" type reaction. Imagine a gay 70 odd year old with a 22 year old man. Way worse reaction.

Regardless, Spacey/his handlers clearly released the coming out thing as a deflection. Looking for sympathy which is BS and does gay folks no good. Like he gives a damn of course... Though I give the average person more credit and it looks like most are seeing this cynical half apology and deflection for the ballsology it is.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    It also shows how out of touch he is. Yes people are more accepting, but not like in the Lovey Town he inhabits. Note how gay men who have rumours around them about partying with younger men. It's seen as bad, even if the guys are of age, but straight men with much younger women rarely gets a mention and if it does it doesn't get nearly as much of a "creep" factor applied to it. Mick Jagger a great grandfather is now apparently going out with a 22 year old and that gets more of a "you go Mick!" type reaction. Imagine a gay 70 odd year old with a 22 year old man. Way worse reaction.

Regardless, Spacey/his handlers clearly released the coming out thing as a deflection. Looking for sympathy which is BS and does gay folks no good. Like he gives a damn of course... Though I give the average person more credit and it looks like most are seeing this cynical half apology and deflection for the ballsology it is.

Thankfully, yes, people seem to be seeing through it. Doesn’t give people much credit, does he?

And a long-standing homophobic prejudice is that homosexuality and sexual deviance go hand-in-hand. Well done for feeding that, Kev.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    A few kiss and tells might come out? Big fucking deal.

You missed my point by a country mile, well done.

I didn't say that him coming out was a good move as it would mean that he would avoid kiss and tell stories. I said that him coming out would change the angle that the press would be able to take which such stories. A completely different point to the one you're suggesting I was making.

Here is my comment again:
    If he hadn't [come out] then the angle of the stories would all have been 'He must have tried to seduce that underage boy as look, he's gay and he's lying about that too'. Now stories with any of his exes will just be stories with his exes.

You see the media could have ran stories over the next few weeks labeling him a liar, saying that they have proof he is gay along then with the subtext that: 'Well, if he is lying about his sexuality maybe he did try to rape that underage boy all those years ago after all!'. Coming out means they can't inject the same level of doubt into his denial as they would have been able to had he not done so.
    He’s a thick-skinned celebrity. Trying to explain away his actions by coming out is sickening and is in the same arena as Weinstein trying to engender sympathy for himself instead of his victims.

Absolutely, which is why I referred to him as dickhead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

No Christmas card exchange there I suggest .

We laugh at what we are afraid of you know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

A lot of great films tainted now.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Though I give the average person more credit and it looks like most are seeing this cynical half apology and deflection for the ballsology it is.

You would hope........ but I wouldn't be so sure given that much of the media took the bait and ran with the narrative he was hoping they would.

abc.jpg
    https://twitter.com/NYDailyNews/status/924857577728552960
    https://twitter.com/enews/status/924862854456659969
    https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/924868463432290305

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

"Like Harvey we all knew about u(sic)". Well done love, you "all" selectively did nothing while this guy was allegedly sexually harassing people for years? #slowhandclap. And "U" can hardly hide behind the excuse that unlike Harvey Spacey had far less power over careers in the greater scheme of things.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

So it looks like modern day abuse cases are going to be played out in hash tags instead of courts.

• Advertisement

A new Harvey rape allegation. This one unique in that it's said to have occurred in the 1970's.

Ms. Exiner d’Amore had worked for Mr. Weinstein for just a few weeks when he asked if she’d like to take a trip to New York City. Both of them were in their 20s, living in Buffalo in the late 1970s.

She was working for Mr. Weinstein’s concert promotion company, Harvey and Corky Productions, doing odd jobs. She was interested in film, so when Mr. Weinstein asked if she wanted to come to New York City to meet with people in the industry, she agreed.

When they got to the Park Lane Hotel, Mr. Weinstein went to the check-in desk while she waited elsewhere in the lobby, Ms. Exiner d’Amore recalled. He returned and said there had been a mistake with the reservations; there was only one room. They would have to share.

“I gave him a look like that was ridiculous,” she recalled. But she ultimately agreed, assuming it was harmless. When she got into bed that night, she said, he slipped in next to her, naked.

“I told him no. I kept pushing him away. He just wouldn’t listen,” Ms. Exiner d’Amore said. “He just forced himself on me.” She said he forcibly performed oral sex and intercourse on her.

She did not tell her boyfriend, feeling ashamed, but she did confide in her next-door neighbors in Buffalo. She did not specifically say she was raped, but the couple, David and Irene Sipos, told The Times that they remembered her being extremely upset and crying when she told them about Mr. Weinstein and the hotel room.

After the trip, Ms. Exiner d’Amore said, Mr. Weinstein kept asking her out and offered her credit cards to go on shopping sprees. She declined. Within three or four weeks, she was fired.

“It was a relief,” she said. “I hated being there.”

Ms. Exiner d’Amore never went into the film industry. She got a job administering an undergraduate program at Cornell University, and later moved on to jobs in fund-raising.

Advertisement