Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ipso wrote: »
    So it looks like modern day abuse cases are going to be played out in hash tags instead of courts.
    With the media notice boxes anyway. They're so attention hungry it's all they crave. Spotlight vampires for the most part.

Going to court, or calling perverts out when "they all knew about it at the time", requires much more spine than firing off a tweet. And I think people are beginning to see them for the hypocrites they are.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I thought Kevin was coming out about his future relations in prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Could it be that someone like Tom Cruise might actually be one of the normal ones in Hollywood?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Could it be that someone like Tom Cruise might actually be one of the normal ones in Hollywood?

Tbh I think lecherous behaviour was normal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Wibbs wrote: »
    "Like Harvey we all knew about u(sic)". Well done love, you "all" selectively did nothing while this guy was allegedly sexually harassing people for years? #slowhandclap. And "U" can hardly hide behind the excuse that unlike Harvey Spacey had far less power over careers in the greater scheme of things.

She's been getting similar responses since her tweet went out and her reply:

https://twitter.com/Rosie/status/925027999556292608

She's only digging deeper now if anything:

https://twitter.com/Rosie/status/924987736519593984

https://twitter.com/Rosie/status/924989435804094464

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Rose's Twitter page makes my head spin

"Like Harvey we all knew about u(sic)". Well done love, you "all" selectively did nothing while this guy was allegedly sexually harassing people for years? #slowhandclap. And "U" can hardly hide behind the excuse that unlike Harvey Spacey had far less power over careers in the greater scheme of things.

"Now that I just said I didn't report a degenerate to the police, let me lecture you on Donald Trump"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

"Now that I just said I didn't report a degenerate to the police, let me lecture you on Donald Trump"

Wasn't she attacking everyone in sight for knowing about Weinstein- yet she's just admitted she knew about Spacey and did/said nothing.

anna080 wrote: »
    Wasn't she attacking everyone in sight for knowing about Weinstein- yet she's just admitted she knew about Spacey and did/said nothing.

Forget it, Anna. It's Rosie O'Donnell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

You missed my point by a country mile, well done.

Sigh. Maybe you should make your point a bit clearer then. People seem to constantly be missing the point you are trying to make. Why is that?

Bringing up his sexuality is nothing more than deflection and a cynical attempt to tap into the liberal zeitgeist.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Sigh. Maybe you should make your point a bit clearer then.

Bringing up his sexuality is nothing more than deflection and a cynical attempt to tap into the liberal zeitgeist.

You say my posts should be clearer but yet then suggest I am of the opinion that him coming out was not a deflection..... of course it was a deflection and I said as much in my post. Maybe read it this time:
    This takes the sting out of all that and makes speculation almost pointless. It deflects away from the accusation too of course. Two birds with one stone.

You seem to see what you want in my posts and ignore what you don't.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

His wording is a bit suspect too. "I chose to live as a gay man". Chose? Ehh. Being gay isn't a choice, neither is being straight.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

His wording is a bit suspect too. "I chose to live as a gay man". Chose? Ehh. Being gay isn't a choice, neither is being straight.

Yeah, that leapt out at me too. “Chose”, huh? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

netflix is pulling house of cards after season 6

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 39,692 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

silverharp wrote: »

This whole Kevin Spacey thing is utterly bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Seems a big step for what is a single unproven allegation.

Wonder does it mean there is alot more to come

You say my posts should be clearer but yet then suggest I am of the opinion that him coming out was not a deflection..... of course it was a deflection and I said as much in my post. Maybe read it this time:

You seem to see what you want in my posts and ignore what you don't.

You said it was a smart move. Deflection isn’t particularly smart so you don’t just think it’s about deflection. You are giving him more credit than he deserves. It’s deflection and nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Very strange behaviour by Spacey.

No harm. It was stretching in the last season. Also felt very dated in the current political climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,692 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Very strange behaviour by Spacey.

No harm. It was stretching in the last season. Also felt very dated in the current political climate.

It was. I mean it read to me like two separate statements combined as one. I honestly don't care if Kevin Spacey is gay or not but the way it was put together it could be read as him saying him being gay is a reason for what is alleged to have happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

That's two for two now with Seth.

Apart from it’s actually about two for seventy or something.

Are the police formally investigating anything that has come out from this yet?

Surely these victims should be making complaints and taking it from there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I'm just wondering how long until the paedophile ring in Hollywood is exposed? This is merely the tip of the ice berg.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Deflection isn’t particularly smart....

Oh deflection absolutely is smart. Which is why PR folk spend their whole careers engaging in it.
    You are giving him more credit than he deserves. It’s deflection and nothing more.

It's more than deflection because of the reasons I outlined. Had he not come out as gay the media would be now focused on him denying his sexuality. They could then write article after article attempting to out him and finishing each one off by reminding readers that Kevin Spacey has been accused of attempting to sexually assault an underage boy.

I get that it's not palatable to many that he is coming out as gay in response to this accusation (it shows what a scumbag he is for one) but you're naive if you can't see that by aligning himself with a minority hasn't closed off certain avenues of reporting which would have made the headlines today far worse for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Seems a big step for what is a single unproven allegation.

Wonder does it mean there is alot more to come

There probably is. That Kevin Spacey is gay was known long ago and not the issue as such, but there were also stories like these:
    http://defamer.gawker.com/people-keep-telling-us-about-kevin-spacey-s-aggressive-1686507320
    Basically he was not only cruising or partying, but he would go after people on set and get them fired if they wouldn't respond.

So, not that it's nearly as important as proper investigation and prosecution where appropriate...but as an aside what careers are over?

Surely Weinstein and Spacey are gone now. Affleck?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

blinding wrote: »
    Didn’t everyone know Kevin Spacey was gay .

Yes, but he often denied it in the past. IIRC, the Daily Mail tried to out him a few years ago and I think he may have sued them. He subsequently denied
    he was gay. It was no secret when he was in Ireland, or working in theatre in London, that he liked boys.

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    This kind of carry on is rife in Pedowood i'd say. Spacey not remembering it happened is frightening. How many other times has he tried this on and gotten away with it with minors? What a cess pit.

The wording of his statement clearly shows that he was well lawyered up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Found this on Spacey's Wikipedia page. Quite hypocritical now.

anna080 wrote: »
    Spacey's statement is fcuking bizarre. "I don't remember that- whoops". Pretty much sums up the first paragraph.
    But it the next paragraph that's a real head scratcher- this story has encouraged me to address other things about my life.....
    Did he just make a connection between supposed paedophelia and homosexuality? Wtf.
    I chose to live as a gay man. I want to deal with this openly and honestly and that starts with explaining my own behavour ...
    You mean explaining the fact you don't remember seducing a 14 year old? Yea being gay doesn't explain that.

It does seem like he is conflating the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

He was hoping for protection from the gay rights groups perhaps, it was hardly a secret he was gay, but there are many 'stories' about him for years if you Google it.

Advertisement