Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expressions you hate

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭MissMayo

I hate most slang terms for sex, such as "sexy time" or "making whoopee", whenever I read it hear someone say it I can just imagine some idiot covering their mouth with their hands and giggling because they're speaking about something "naughty".

Naughty is another word I hate, especially when used to describe anyone over the age of 5.

I have recently come to strongly dislike any form of "goals", e.g. #SquadGoals, Relationship Goals, etc. I also hate hashtags outside of whatever sites use them as a function.

Not really a saying or phrase, but anytime I see someone wrote ect. instead of etc. it annoys me.

Pretty much all American slang, I won't give examples as it had already been mentioned countless times by other posters.

I also have to agree with people hating "revert". My old landlord was the first person to ever say it to me and I had to ask my husband what it meant.

I hate when people say "and I just lost it" when they found something funny. Whenever I was younger if someone "lost it" it meant that they were extremely angry, now it means they find something funny... Sometimes I feel that I would understand people better if they just grunted like cavemen!!!

I could go on and on but I feel that my post is long enough for today. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

MissMayo wrote: »
    I hate most slang terms for sex, such as "sexy time" or "making whoopee"...

My personal favourite is "Coping with Uncle Bertie". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

"Next Stop Ranelagh.... RANNOLOCKKKKK!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Medalling - as currently favoured by most sports commentators. Whatever happened to "winning a medal"?

"She has a great chance of medalling in the 200m final".

"He is sure to medal in the javelin"

Neither of these is a valid verb. Go back to school and learn some grammar you eejits!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

"At the point at which". So, basically, you just want to seem like an intellectual by adding 4 extra words to say when. Right, you seem like a huge barrel of laughs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭coolabula

Luv you to the moon and back, hate that phrase and the people who use it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,857 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Medalling - as currently favoured by most sports commentators. Whatever happened to "winning a medal"?

"She has a great chance of medalling in the 200m final".

"He is sure to medal in the javelin"

Neither of these is a valid verb. Go back to school and learn some grammar you eejits!
    When I was a lad, meddling in an Olympic event would get you in a lot of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bob Bop Perono

'Me hole'.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭caniask86

Pull the finger out. Since when is it acceptable for a parent to say that? When my mother used to say it to me I used to cringe on the inside.

Also maybe I have a vivid imagination but always imagined a big dirty finger being pull out of an arse when someone says that sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

This one has annoyed me ever since I first heard some cali airhead say it on an American chat show:
    "I wanna saaaaay..."

But today I heard some bloke with South Dublin accent say it and I have never wanted to own a Glock more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭miss flutter ups

"lie down with dogs and you'll come up with fleas"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

"It's called ______"

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭miss flutter ups

When I receive an email in work and someone says:

"Miss Flutter Ups, have you the report I requested" instead of *HI* Miss Flutter Ups...

Also when there's no Thanks, at the end of an email, just "Regards",

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

caniask86 wrote: »
    Pull the finger out. Since when is it acceptable for a parent to say that? When my mother used to say it to me I used to cringe on the inside.

Also maybe I have a vivid imagination but always imagined a big dirty finger being pull out of an arse when someone says that sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Hamadeusentman

Almost everyone (especially those under 35) are saying "I'm like" or "I was like" instead of "I said/thought" nowadays when recounting a story or something that happened to them. When did this despicable fad start and how can it be ended? It's clearly an Americanism and it's utterly infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Almost everyone (especially those under 35) are saying "I'm like" or "I was like" instead of "I said/thought" nowadays when recounting a story or something that happened to them. When did this despicable fad start and how can it be ended? It's clearly an Americanism and it's utterly infuriating.

This has been going on for years....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Starting a sentence with "so"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

"Thanking you"

You're not actually saying thanks then are you. You are identifying that you are in the act of saying thank you without expressing any form of appreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

You guys .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Using plurals where none are required. Eg: When talking about football 'you've got your arsenals, liverpools' No, you've got Arsenal & Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Starting every sentence with "I feel like..."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

'Back in the day'. It didn't exist back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

The use of Why Not in marketing.

Why Not Try our new recipe? Well, i'll fcuking tell you why not!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

People who say sh*t like "I literally died" when talking about something funny...

No you didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Hamadeusentman

I suppose.
    Next time you hear a sportsperson interviewed on the television or radio (especially GAA players) count the amount of times they use the words ‘I suppose’. It is most irritating.

In terms of.
    I know it’s been mentioned before. Politicians are the biggest offenders, Micheál Martin in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

I suppose.
    Next time you hear a sportsperson interviewed on the television or radio (especially GAA players) count the amount of times they use the words ‘I suppose’. It is most irritating.

In terms of.
    I know it’s been mentioned before. Politicians are the biggest offenders, Micheál Martin in particular.
    and more than half the time they can't even pronounce the word. Wtf I subbose

• Registered Users Posts: 10,857 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Steve_o wrote: »
    People who say sh*t like "I literally died" when talking about something funny...

No you didn't.

I can't breathe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Steve_o wrote: »

No you didn't.

"I literally ". anything...because most of the time it is used incorrectly...grinds my gears:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Well you know there are like phrases I like you know find like you know very like irritating especially when people like you know use them like over and you know over like again you know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭trashcan

D3V!L wrote: »
    Starting a sentence with "so"

Yes, very annoying. Also starting sentences with, "look" or "listen" sounds uneccessarily agressive. Particularly prevelant among sports people.

Also agree with the point about plurals. Bugs the crap out of me. Your Ronaldos, your Messis, etc. Arrgghhh. (Again sports people mainly guilty.)

Advertisement