Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭frash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

selling my Mazda 3 1.6D Sport. In good condition, serviced, 2keys low miles. Looking for bigger car

http://www.adverts.ie/car/mazda/3/2010-mazda-3/13753006

NzUxOTM2MTQ1ZjAzZmUzZDBlOTdjMGYxOTFhZGE5NzIR1owuwUjXZOnu6J-lAE5FaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184MjA4MzM2NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

My well looked after, reliable and everything working and maintained on 06 Alfa 147 is for sale
    NCT'd last week, flew through with new front tyres and new rear hand brake cables (one had corroded so replaced both), taxed until December

The interior is immaculate

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/06-alfa-147-nct-10-18-fsh-low-mile-tbelt-done/16615501

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

Quick question guys, got a yi dashcam thanks to recommendations on this thread, mounted it today but have a small problem. When I plug it into the cig lighter it pops out a little, just enough to not provide power. If I hold it down the power comes on but as soon as I let go the charger pops up a few mm and power cuts. Anyone else had this and how did you solve it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

There are two metal prongs on the side of the charger that fits into the cigarette lighter and it sounds like they aren't engaging in the lighter socket. Get a small screw driver and lever one of them out slightly and see if it will hold the plug in tighter. If not bend the other one out slightly and try again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭homingbird

Also if you wrap a bit of insulating tape around the lighter plug it should keep it in as i had the same problem with a dashcam i bought & this fixed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭yannakis

For around €100 would you go for Nextbase 312GW or Transcend DrivePro 200? Any other suggestions welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Hi would like to get a dashcam for my nephew. I don't know anything about them. He will be driiving daytime and nightime. Commute each day approx 2 hours. Please ask if you require more info. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Damien360

gooner99 wrote: »
    Hi would like to get a dashcam for my nephew. I don't know anything about them. He will be driiving daytime and nightime. Commute each day approx 2 hours. Please ask if you require more info. Thanks.

Nextbase 412GW is €130 in Halfords now. You need to add a large SD card to that (they sell them there also and pricing is ok). I use this and quality day time is excellent and good for night time. Has GPS built in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Price reduction on my 08 Honda FR-V, the ideal car for growing families or anyone in the market for a 7 seater.
    2yr NCT, 3 months tax. 2 keys.

http://www.adverts.ie/car/honda/fr-v/2008-honda-fr-v/13286630

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

have a 161 micra for sale,, will take a trade in as long as i get cash to fund an upcoming trip to new zealand
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/nissan/micra/2016-nissan-micra/13829075

• Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭Patser

atveyx.jpg

Citroen Ds5 hybrid

Pretty much every optional extra I've had in a car, all in a rare head turning machine.

Selling so as I can go all electric

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ds5-hybrid-4x4-200bhp/16457270

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭digiman

I'm planning on getting a dashcam for the car, no particular budget in mind.

I've mainly been looking at reviews on the Blackvue dr750s 2ch and also the nextbase 512gw.

Image quality on bith seem to be excellent and bith have Wi-Fi. Both also have parking mode which seems like it could be useful.

What's interesting about the Blackvue is that it can record to the cloud, I wonder would this be useful if your car was robbed from your house. You could potentially have this recording away overnight and have it streaming to your Wi-Fi in the house and if car is gone in morning you could have some footage to share with the guards. I don't really see many other applications where it would be useful.

Is a rear view camera worth spending the extra money on I wonder? That seems to be the main difference between the 2 but some reviewers are suggesting that the 512gw has been made with a future upgrade to a rear view camera in mind.

Thoughts please

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

digiman wrote: »
    I'm planning on getting a dashcam for the car, no particular budget in mind.

I've mainly been looking at reviews on the Blackvue dr750s 2ch and also the nextbase 512gw.

Image quality on bith seem to be excellent and bith have Wi-Fi. Both also have parking mode which seems like it could be useful.

What's interesting about the Blackvue is that it can record to the cloud, I wonder would this be useful if your car was robbed from your house. You could potentially have this recording away overnight and have it streaming to your Wi-Fi in the house and if car is gone in morning you could have some footage to share with the guards. I don't really see many other applications where it would be useful.

Is a rear view camera worth spending the extra money on I wonder? That seems to be the main difference between the 2 but some reviewers are suggesting that the 512gw has been made with a future upgrade to a rear view camera in mind.

Thoughts please

Both good cams but also another to look at is the ddpai m6 plus. Have it and picture quality at night or day is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Patww79 wrote: »
    Anyone here using the DDPai with the Android app? Did they ever sort it out?

I use it works fine, was updated and changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

digiman wrote: »
    Presumably, once it gets outside the range of your house wifi (50m or 100m) you lose the recording, so all you're going to get is a short clip of the car going down your own road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭digiman

Presumably, once it gets outside the range of your house wifi (50m or 100m) you lose the recording, so all you're going to get is a short clip of the car going down your own road.

Yes, but it might have picked up a number plate or the face of the robbers and they would be none the wiser.

To be honest, the more I think about it the less practical uses I can think for it. It woukd cost a fortune every month to have a mobile dongle and uploading that amount of data for streaming video to the cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I have it and use it with the Android app and love it. I have it hard wired into the car using this which enables the "park" mode to be used without running the battery down to the point where it won't start the car.

Two weeks after I had it fitted I had the car in my drive (I reverse into my drive so the dash cam faces out onto the road and acts like a CCTV camera at night) and around 4am it captured two guys breaking into and stealing my neighbours car. I copied the footage off the camera, stuck it on a USB drive and my neighbours used it to show to the Guards (who identified the two young lads who stole the car) and their insurance company for the claim they made.

Great piece of kit. Set it up and forget about it until you need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

Saab 93, 2002, 132,000 miles: taxed (to end Nov 2017) and NCT (to mid Jan 2018). 2 owner car.
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/saab/93/2002-saab-93/13858277

Couple of pieces needing attention if to be used for long term (everything is highlighted in the advert, good and bad), but it's also had a good share of maintenance over the last couple of years (fuel pump, brake pads, tyres, Direct Ignition pack), and is running well (was my daily commuter vehicle (190km round trip) until last Monday).

Due to my daily mileage, I have moved to a diesel, so looking to move this car on.
    MzQ4ZWEyZmQ2N2IwOGU1N2IxMmNiNThmMzRhNWUzMjRkOH6z2glGT6VSI_Ml7vV_aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vZWYyMjVkZTIyMjhmZWI5NGQ4MjQ4NjllMzdmNGE5M2VjOGI3NmEzMGFhMzc2Y2RlMmNkZmU4NTQ4NGZkMWJhNS5qcGd8fHx8fHw5ODB4NDU0fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Where have yous been buying your DDPai cameras from?

Im hoping to get a deal somewhere on a bulk buy.

jimbis wrote: »
    Where have yous been buying your DDPai cameras from?

I ordered it from gearbest, but wouldn't recommend them much..

- Item was posted to an outdated address from my account instead of the address I selected during PayPal checkout.
    - GB said claim can be filed 2 months after the order
    - They offered 50% refund or pay postage again to have it re-sent.
    - PayPal dispute outcome in my favour, so at least got my monies back..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

yannakis wrote: »
    I ordered it from gearbest, but wouldn't recommend them much..

- Item was posted to an outdated address from my account instead of the address I selected during PayPal checkout.
    - GB said claim can be filed 2 months after the order
    - They offered 50% refund or pay postage again to have it re-sent.
    - PayPal dispute outcome in my favour, so at least got my monies back..

That's why I always pay with PayPal. The seller is obliged by T&C to ship it registered mail to the address supplied by PayPal.

A slight inconvenience, but a guarantee of not being screwed.

grogi wrote: »
    That's why I always pay with PayPal.

Exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Vermelho

<Only users with 10 posts or more can post>

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

http://touch.adverts.ie/car/seat/leon/2012-seat-leon/13909675

Only selling as we moved house and now don't need it but need the cash! Great clean and nippy car, very clean and extremly economical.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭MFlack2012

Looking for any recommendations on quality cheap Dash Cam for car. Just brought a Nextbase back to Argos as the charge was lasting less than 10 minutes. Good clear picture though. Most I've seen have a battery life of 30 mins. That would be okay for me if getting the full 30 mins out of it, but really looking for something with a longer battery life (If possible). €100-€200 range.

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

MFlack2012 wrote:
    Looking for any recommendations on quality cheap Dash Cam for car. Just brought a Nextbase back to Argos as the charge was lasting less than 10 minutes. Good clear picture though. Most I've seen have a battery life of 30 mins. That would be okay for me if getting the full 30 mins out of it, but really looking for something with a longer battery life (If possible). €100-€200 range.

Its supposed to have a prmanent feed from the vehicle. You dont charge it and then stick it in the windscreen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,277 ✭✭✭✭blade1

MFlack2012 wrote: »

Any recommendations?
    Not really a dash cam but if battery life is what you want the Go Pro Hero lasts about 4 hours, excellent picture and sound quality.
    Disadvantages are you would have to turn it on and off manually and it has no screen.
    I use one for motorbikes so find it great for that.
    I bought it when they came out first for €100 but think they are around €125 now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement