Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

don't want to be giving anyone nightmares...but you would look at this prediction for 1500hrs on Monday

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=52.95;-8.05;6&l=gust&t=20171016/13 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I'm nervous too. My children don't have a big commute to child care thankfully but I have a 20 minute drive. I'm in South Donegal. I'm wondering how dangerous it'll be here?

I'm near the Clare/Limerick border. I know people who wouldn't miss work if they could help it and would look out at the usual time they leave for work, and think it's calm enough. I think it's only meant to start up at lunchtime though. Will they be stuck out there :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭crashadder

i have a 15:30 pm flight on Monday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

crashadder wrote: »
    i have a 15:30 pm flight on Monday :(

No. No, you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

crashadder wrote: »
    i have had a 15:30 pm flight on Monday :(

FYP :

• Advertisement

Would it actually be advisable to consider maybe driving to somewhere north of Dublin and staying with family / friends if you in the likely zone to be hit?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,375 ✭✭✭irishgeo

philstar wrote: »
    don't want to be giving anyone nightmares...but you would look at this prediction for 1500hrs on Monday

Not bad the west seems to escaping the worst of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Bus Eireann cancels school buses in Monday due to the storm

http://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1014/912351-ophelia/

^^^^^^^^^^^^

but look at the east and south east

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭stevenup7002

Michelle_b wrote: »
    I hear people talking about the weather but not everyone is actually preparing 'just in case'

Just got back from the shops and have stocked up with water, candles, batteries, and non-perishable food (biscuits etc.).

Supermarket was very quiet. Talked to the lady at the checkout and she was talking about how lovely and warm the weather is! Nobody seems to understand what's going on beyond "there might be some wind on Monday".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Just got back from the shops and have stocked up with water, candles, batteries, and non-perishable food (biscuits etc.).

Supermarket was very quiet. Talked to the lady at the checkout and she was talking about how lovely and warm the weather is! Nobody seems to understand what's going on beyond "there might be some wind on Monday".

I thought our national news was very poor this evening. The focus was on buses being cancelled as opposed to possible severe structural damages and potentially risk to life. Surely they could have had someone from met eireann in their studio or a live link as opposed to a pre recorded interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

confusicus wrote: »
    I have a flight at 6:20am out of Dublin to Rome.

Looking at the charts, I think I should be okay, but could anyone with more knowledge on the subject confirm this?

Are you good at getting up early?

I don't think they appreciate the seriousness of it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭prunudo

I thought our national news was very poor this evening. The focus was on buses being cancelled as opposed to possible severe structural damages and potentially risk to life. Surely they could have had someone from met eireann in their studio or a live link as opposed to a pre recorded interview.

That thought crossed my mind too, any article I've read seems to be more concerned about lack of buses than what the possible effects of the storm may be.

we need Theresa

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Personal safety and that of your family is the number one priority, things can be replaced. So heed warnings and check on vulnerable neighbours where possible. The weather may look spectacular in many areas but they are also lkely to be the most dangerous places, so don't take risks particularly on the coast and exposed areas with a force of nature that doesn't come around here that often. Beware storm surge and dangerous seas, flood waters and wind causing falling trees + flying debris. Listen out for where the strongest impacts will be (some areas may not see much more than gales and some rain but that could change utterly if the forecast track changes).
    School buses in Cork, Kerry, Clare, Galway and Mayo cancelled so schools will need to decide whether or not to close over the next day and a half or so. If other counties are put into the red weather warning category, the same thing will happen.

ESB Networks:
    https://twitter.com/ESBNetworks/status/919227957163511808

This links to a major emergency booklet that has some helpful information
    https://twitter.com/Corkcoco/status/919248490517102593

It's possible that there will be an eb and flow of upgrades and downgrades and this may not end up as bad as some forecasts predict, but it is prudent to err on the side of caution and make sure to listen out for the latest information.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

flaneur wrote: »
    Would it actually be advisable to consider maybe driving to somewhere north of Dublin and staying with family / friends if you in the likely zone to be hit?

No - unless you live in a house surrounded by tall trees, your best bet is just to make sure you have the basic supplies already mentioned and stay at home. The greatest risk with most storms is flooding, and there won’t be too much rain with this one, but low lying south facing coastal areas may be at risk there. The wind itself shouldn’t cause any direct danger for most homes, but will probably knock out power to many areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭SunshineKid

I work in Galway & commute from Athlone via the M6. Would I be mad to try & go to work on Monday??

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭carrickbally

Dublin seems to be getting it worse?

That is not what the weather people are saying?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

In nearly 30 years here, I don't think I've seen weather with such a strong wind for so much of the country, what's very clear is that this could cause significant damage to infrastructure, especially ESB, which in passing could also cause some significant broadband issues, as they have a significant high speed fibre network carried on their high voltage network cables, so if overhead cables or pylons are damaged, that could also take out massive chunks of high speed broadband backbone services.

ESB's national trunk fibre network is carried on their 100kV lines, which tend not to suffer too badly in storms. SIRO have started building fibre on the local 10kV LV networks, which is much more vulnerable.

It'll be interesting to see how eir's rural fibre network copes. I've seen a lot of fibre run close to - and even through - trees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Just saw this

Emergency co-ordination group to meet over storm.

Isn't this something that was called for in the wake of Storm Darwin?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/emergency-co-ordination-group-to-meet-over-storm-1.3256472

Don't know why - but this springs to mind ... ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭xabi

I’m due to fly out of Cork at 05:50 on Monday morning, any chance this will be with us by then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

gozunda wrote: »
    Just saw this

Emergency co-ordination group to meet over storm.

Isn't this something that was called for in the wake of Storm Darwin?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/emergency-co-ordination-group-to-meet-over-storm-1.3256472

Paywall.....

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭squarecircles

An emergency response group will meet tomorrow as the country braces itself for Hurricane Ophelia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

we need Theresa

She is setting up a tent tomorrow in Salthill I hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Is Cork city meant to get it bad? Debating taking half day and heading home at 1 and staying indoors until Tuesday ! A bit drastic or sensible as I cycle to work. Maybe safest take whole day off? ( am I looking for an excuse?? A resounding yes )

MJohnston wrote: »
    No - unless you live in a house surrounded by tall trees, your best bet is just to make sure you have the basic supplies already mentioned and stay at home. The greatest risk with most storms is flooding, and there won’t be too much rain with this one, but low lying south facing coastal areas may be at risk there. The wind itself shouldn’t cause any direct danger for most homes, but will probably knock out power to many areas.

House *is* surrounded by tall deciduous trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭thomil

xabi wrote: »
    I’m due to fly out of Cork at 05:50 on Monday morning, any chance this will be with us by then?

EI840 to Amsterdam? The way I see it, that flight should get away without any trouble. Winds won't pick up until an hour or two later, if the current models are anything to go by. I'd expect a more northerly routing until you've cleared Ireland, but apart from that, if the forecasts hold, it should be okay. That being said, keep an eye on the Aer Lingus and Cork Airport websites.

On a related note, I wonder if airlines will try to get as many of the early flights out of Cork before the storm hits, or if they'll just cancel outright.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

take a cable with two plugs on it , one in a socket in the house other one in the generator works perfect

Do you have a regulated outupt on the generator? I'd be wary of voltage spikes (or drops) causing damage to the likes of TV or computers.

I use a 4kW gen to run the water pump and fridge if need be - got rid of my double-ended cable though as it's an inherently dangerous item to have lying around the place! If kids or anyone mistook it for a regular extension lead...

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭SunshineKid

I work in Galway & commute from Athlone via the M6. Would I be mad to try & go to work on Monday??

Advertisement