Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

philstar wrote: »
    Ophelia ? what sort of name is that anyway? sounds like a protestant name :mad:

Not sure if you’re serious or not, but to maintain some semblence of being on topic, the name comes from the North American naming system, and has nothing to do with our joint Met Eireann/Met Office naming system. It is convention that storms already with one of those names don’t get renamed by us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

^^^^^^^^^^^^

sorry, i was having a father ted moment ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

^^^^^^^^^^^^

sorry, i was having a father ted moment ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

Hi sorry for jumping in , I'm in the south surely if it's going to be this bad , all schools and business should close , I'm a bit worried about having to work Monday and leaving kids

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Just something to be aware of. Mobile signal may stop if the weather is very bad. Landlines can be more resilient. If you've any family members you are worried about, make sure you know each others landlines if you know them (and have them!).

If you don't have a gas cooker and electricity dies, you can use a barbeque if you have one, but please ONLY outside!

If you plan on leaving the house for the day/night, please be conscious of your alarm that's it not ringing all the time!

Make sure side gates are properly locked and strengthened up from opening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

County councils are still not being put on alert. Sunday is an even worse day to contact people in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I’m driving down to Kerry to visit the family tomorrow morning. Was going to stay the night and drive back to Cork Monday morning (don’t start work till 11) but won’t be doing that anymore I’d say. Will surely be grand tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Are people going to work on Monday? It's hard to imagine what it's going to be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Ha ha. I just got a text from work telling us all we better be in Monday or else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    County councils are still not being put on alert. Sunday is an even worse day to contact people in charge.

Carlow has been since yesterday apparently...they're on stand by and getting precautions in place as needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just got this text from UCC

“Dear all, as you may be aware a red weather alert has been issued by Met Eireann this afternoon, Please be aware that the University Emergency Management Team are
    monitoring the situation and further information will follow tomorrow.
    Regards
    Corporate Secretary and Chair of the Emergency Management Team”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

i've received an SMS alert from Fingal co co today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

The mother said they put an auld sandbag or two out on Limerick yesterday...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Are people going to work on Monday? It's hard to imagine what it's going to be like.

I will be, but work is only about 2km from me so not too bad. More concerned about workmates that have a long trip in and out. I hope someone has the sense to make the call in sending them home early if it looks necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Spoke to a couple of employees,they know as much as any Joe or Josephine soap about what's on the way.I guess by now most of their time will be spent on clean up duties on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

__..__ wrote: »
    Ha ha. I just got a text from work telling us all we better be in Monday or else.

A damning piece of evidence if someone gets hurt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I have a backup inverter and will use a charged car batter to power it, it can power my EIR modem for internet providing the phone lines are ok. It will also be able to run my smaller TV for news reports etc. The Telephone exchanges and Mast towers all have huge battery banks of lead acid batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    A damning piece of evidence if someone gets hurt.

Somehow I don't see them getting punished if someone gets hurt. Typical bullies.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

A cheap landline phone you plug straight to wall may come in handy if power goes down (modem will be useless if no power to it) I've more fate in landline staying then mobiles.
    I'm not overworried but no need take stupid risks, supplies in for simple meals if power goes.

ps. there'll be great drying so make sure u've plenty of pegs :p

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭natty_asha

I received a text alert from Carlow County council about half an hour ago advising orange weather alert for area Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

working in Dublin airport :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

I know there isn't a wind warning for South Donegal but I'm wondering will the roads be dangerous to drive on Monday morning? Debris and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭mackes

noble00 wrote: »
    Hi sorry for jumping in , I'm in the south surely if it's going to be this bad , all schools and business should close , I'm a bit worried about having to work Monday and leaving kids

I heard that bus eireann are not running school buses Monday. It will be up to individual schools to decide on closure unless the Department of Education issues a closure notice. They closed all the schools a few years ago anticipating a big snowfall but after one day it never materialised and they all opened again so watch the news for updates on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I know there isn't a wind warning for South Donegal but I'm wondering will the roads be dangerous to drive on Monday morning? Debris and the like.

Monday morning will be fine. Peak winds won’t be effecting us here in Donegal Town area until Monday evening given current timings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Tipp coco on alert since Fri. Email sent to all staff on Fri.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Doltanian wrote: »
    I have a backup inverter and will use a charged car batter to power it, it can power my EIR modem for internet providing the phone lines are ok. It will also be able to run my smaller TV for news reports etc. The Telephone exchanges and Mast towers all have huge battery banks of lead acid batteries.

Not sure that newer (fibre) lines will still have broadband if the power is out, as there are units in the cabinets that may not have a long battery backup, so if power goes, they may work for a while until the battery dies. Older copper to the exchange lines will be OK, as they don't have intermediate units remote from the exchange.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

I'm nervous too. My children don't have a big commute to child care thankfully but I have a 20 minute drive. I'm in South Donegal. I'm wondering how dangerous it'll be here?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Ophelia ? what sort of name is that anyway? sounds like a protestant name :mad:

Mod Note: Warning. No offensive/ uncivil remarks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

We've got candles and bottled water here anyway so could for that.

We'd be stuck for cooking but our neighbour has camping stuff and gas so said we could use those of need be.

Bought a couple of those power packs to keep phones charged etc

Also took out the board games for some entertainment if needed.

Really hope people check in on elderly/vulnerable neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

natty_asha wrote: »
    I received a text alert from Carlow County council about half an hour ago advising orange weather alert for area Monday.

Alerts from Cork County Council arrived at 1.30 this afternoon. Looks like they are all on the ball.

Advertisement