Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Fully expect someone from met eireann on the six one news, they kind of have to at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I will update this from time to time, predicted maximum sustained winds and gusts at selected locations based on model output to date and my own subjective impressions of how the storm will play out. All values in knots, km/hr is double minus 10%.

LOCATION ________ Max sustained _____ Gusts

Valentia ______________ 60 ___________ 85

Sherkin ______________ 68 ___________ 90

Roches Point __________ 66 ___________ 87

Kinsale energy _________ 80 __________ 105

Waterford _____________ 62 ___________ 87

Cork _________________ 62 ___________ 87

Shannon ______________ 58 ___________ 80

Oak Park ______________ 50 __________ 70

Gurteen _______________ 52 __________ 73

Mullingar ______________ 52 __________ 73

Casement ______________58 __________ 78

Dublin A _______________ 56 __________ 73

Dunsany _______________ 50 __________ 70

Athenry ________________ 60 __________ 80

Galway city _____________ 62 __________ 82

Mace Head ______________ 70 __________ 90

Newport ________________ 65 __________ 83

Belmullet ________________ 50 _________ 70

Claremorris ______________ 52 _________ 72

Finner ___________________ 58 _________ 78

Donegal A ________________ 58 _________ 78

Malin Head _______________ 65 __________ 85

Ballyhaise ________________ 55 __________ 75

These weather stations give a good representation of conditions that various regions will face but of course there are big variations in exposure from one place to another and airports tend to be located in exposed locations generally so quite often the overall exposure of the population is less than might be implied by assuming these winds will affect everyone in each region.

OTOH if you're a lighthouse keeper or a farmer on a hill, you might get stronger winds than any of these (except Kinsale energy).

I have assumed a GFS-GEM blend track something like 50 miles west of Valentia to landfall between Clifden and Westport, placing Belmullet on the west side of the track but all other locations to the east. If ICON is correct some of my estimates in the northwest will be reduced considerably.

To save space on the thread, if responding don't copy the whole table, just comment on it. Thanks. I will update this at least once before the storm arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I don't know if it's connected or not, but the wind here has just whipped up a great deal.

I'm looking out the back at the trees in the park and they are heaving and swaying.

But I'm probably on high alert now!

I need to calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Thanks to MTC and others who answered my question about why Ophelia is headed east and not west :)

I'm just back from a walk in Dromore Woods in Co.Clare which sustained a lot of damage in Storm Darwin and sadly I think will sustain more damage on Monday. This is one tree that fell - the shallow root system for a tree that size amazes me, but after less the 3yrs, the rest of the downed tree is almost invisible.

dromore_woods.jpg

dromore_woods_1.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

430580.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just seen BBC weather it said it was a Cat 2, it's apparent that the TV weather forecasts are relying on old data, social media is where it's at.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Top headline on the Six One.

Finally some proper broadcast acknowledgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Six One News on RTÉ leading with the story. Good to see it's being treated seriously finally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Update now on RTE News.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jArgHA wrote: »
    Six One News on RTÉ leading with the story. Good to see it's being treated seriously finally.

Most of the focus was on cancelled school buses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Met.ie - This is a bit fishy. It was about 12.45 when they first posted this, and there was outcry on here that the 1pm news had nothing of it.

They've since updated the issue time but the warning itself hasn't changed.

Wind Warning for Galway, Mayo, Clare, Cork and Kerry
    Hurricane Ophelia is expected to transition to a post tropical storm as it approaches our shores on Monday bringing severe winds and stormy conditions . Mean wind speeds in excess of 80 km/h and gusts in excess of 130km/h are expected, potentially causing structural damage and disruption, with dangerous marine conditions due to high seas and potential flooding.

Issued:Saturday 14 October 2017 13:18
    Valid:Monday 16 October 2017 09:00 to Tuesday 17 October 2017 03:00

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

430580.png

Does this suggest winds are now looking stronger on the east coast than on the west?

Does this suggest winds are now looking stronger on the east coast than on the west?

On that model yes, but it is running east of consensus so generally not the trend of all guidance (yet).

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Very windy the last while here in Dublin. I put stuff out on the line earlier and it wasn't too bad. Last half hour it has them flying horizontal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

irish1967 wrote: »
    Monday morning will be fine. Peak winds won’t be effecting us here in Donegal Town area until Monday evening given current timings.

Thank you Irish1967, my old friend :)

What time is it due to hit Donegal on Monday? I'm hoping to get back home mid afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

antodeco wrote: »
    Very windy the last while here in Dublin. I put stuff out on the line earlier and it wasn't too bad. Last half hour it has them flying horizontal!

Glad it's not just me.

See my post #1144 above.

Oh me nerves! :eek:

Looking at that ICON map, you know something is up when the map has winds stronger than anything in the legend (that dark patch in the white zone). hope everyone grasps that the white zone is gusts of 200 km/hr being predicted so the dark patch is either seaweed from the Sargasso Sea, or 220 km/hr wind gusts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Met Eireann

Weather News

Update on Storm Ophelia

14 October 2017

As of midday Saturday, Hurricane Ophelia situated at approx. 2,500km southwest of Ireland and 500km south-southwest of the Azores in the Atlantic Ocean is currently tracking east-northeast. The latest information from our colleagues in the National Hurricane Centre in Miami indicates that Ophelia will become a powerful post-tropical cyclone (from thereon in ex-Hurricane Ophelia) by Monday, and there is now generally high confidence that the centre of this system will track close to and possibly even over some parts of the west coast of Ireland.

Ex-Hurricane Ophelia is expected to be near the southwest tip of Ireland by Monday morning. From there it looks set to track northwards close to the Atlantic Seaboard at a fast pace to be roughly situated 100-200km northwest of County Donegal by midnight on Monday.

This will be a significant weather event for Ireland with potentially high impacts – structural damage and flooding (particularly coastal) - and people are advised to take extreme care Keep up to date with the warnings.

Met Éireann forecasters have been monitoring this situation closely all week. We have been liaising with our international colleagues, especially at the UK Met Office, and as we are now in the 48 hour window, with access to our high resolution models, we have decided to issue specific warnings. The warnings will be updated as required.

For further information on the evolution of this system, please continue reading.

What will happen with Hurricane Ophelia?

Hurricane Ophelia is expected to undergo an extra-tropical transition over the next 24 to 36 hours. That means its structure and appearance is going to undergo drastic changes as it approaches Ireland. It will lose its hurricane status but will become a powerful extra-tropical storm. Current indications are suggesting that Ex-Hurricane Ophelia will likely engage with an upper trough of low pressure in the mid-Atlantic at some point tomorrow afternoon. This engagement will cause the storm system to accelerate somewhat north-northeast towards Ireland and the UK.

Why will this happen?

As Hurricane Ophelia tracks north from its current position, it will encounter cooler seas and it will eventually come under the influence of the westerlies. The westerlies of the mid-latitudes increase in strength with height, a phenomenon known as vertical wind shear. This shear almost literally chops off the upper part of the hurricane and sweeps it away. Along with the lower sea temperatures of the mid-latitudes this destroys the positive feedback processes within the hurricane. What remains is the former hurricane’s low-level circulation which, if conditions are right, becomes the focus of further development.

What weather is expected?

Rain can be expected over the country on Sunday night and into Monday, though the heaviest and most significant rain will remain out to sea in the Atlantic on the western side of the surface low pressure. But there will also be some heavy and possibly thundery bursts rotating around the low centre itself, so it can be reasonably assumed that counties closest to the centre of the low will see the heaviest rainfall.

At the same time, damaging winds will accompany the low centre with wind gusts of 130km/h or more. The most severe winds will be in coastal counties, with lower impacts likely for central areas. In addition, we can expect very high waves. Sea conditions will be dangerous and large waves may lead to coastal flooding.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 14,253 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Looking at that ICON map, you know something is up when the map has winds stronger than anything in the legend (that dark patch in the white zone). hope everyone grasps that the white zone is gusts of 200 km/hr being predicted so the dark patch is either seaweed from the Sargasso Sea, or 220 km/hr wind gusts.

:-O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Who is your one doing the weather she's awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Joanna Donnelly looking very spooked on RTÉ. Stumbling and stuttering over words. Not like her at all. Something isn't being shared. Possibly to avoid panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

I was thinking that as well. Need a more steady hand for this situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

I think the RTE news and Met Eireann were very open, informative and clear about Ophelia just now. They've handled it well.
    I was at a hurling match earlier and everyone is talking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,253 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Have to say, just can’t take to that Joanna Donnelly at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

Weather lady seemed a bit under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

I think the RTE news and Met Eireann were very open, informative and clear about Ophelia just now. They've handled it well.
    I was at a hurling match earlier and everyone is talking about it.

Ditto.

I think they've been quite sensible and measured about the whole thing so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

She's just excited after conference call from NHS, NWS they don't often get to forecast incoming hurricane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Theresa is on standby !!

Advertisement