Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

It might be an outlier, looks much further E then the other models. They are mean speeds , gusts much higher.

Shows the uncertainty though the models have been very steady with regards to the path the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

12z Euro..

ECM1-48_kjr9.GIF

Winds at 850hPa (stronger than ground level), direct hit for Cork and Kerry again
    ECU4-48_rlr0.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

Living on the seafront in Clontarf where even "normal" high winds cause flooding, any idea what the wind direction will be?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Winds at 850hPa (stronger than ground level), direct hit for Cork and Kerry again

Seems the Met Eireann forecast is very much following the ECM not too dissimilar rto the GFS ( gusts at 10m )

48-289UK_eee1.GIF

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

12z Euro..

ECU4-48_rlr0.GIF

A bit further east then previous to include Kerry/ Cork / Limerick (east) / Waterford / Wexford ...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,566 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

NAVGEM

navgem-0-48.png?14-20

Again initially it is that southwestern corner i'd be most concerned about. Damaging.

v90BGb4.jpg?1

This afternoon

zlPyvwT.jpg?2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

What width is she?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

What width is she?

About a Size 8

• Advertisement

I'm not sure how the HWRF hurricane model handles extratropical systems but for what it's worth here is its output for 09Z Monday.

hwrf_mslp_wind_17L_16.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

dusty207 wrote: »
    Living on the seafront in Clontarf where even "normal" high winds cause flooding, any idea what the wind direction will be?

You'll be getting your usual dose of ton bags of sand no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Stupid question alert - will there be much precipitation with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭smunchkins

I'm in Baltimore. From most of these models it looks like we'll be the welcome party.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

sdanseo wrote: »
    You'll be getting your usual dose of ton bags of sand no doubt.

Haha, not a sign of anything stirring so far!

20171014.1815.goes13.x.vis1km_high.17LOPHELIA.100kts-960mb-342N-277W.100pc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

dusty207 wrote: »

I think it will be very close to a SSE wind direction, which is not good for Clontarf, but I haven’t looked at the tide times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

It has been a fascinating few days following this thread,I'm still waiting for everything to go belly up, let's be honest most potential interesting weather events tend to go that way in this country :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

MJohnston wrote: »
    I think it will be very close to a SSE wind direction, which is not good for Clontarf, but I haven’t looked at the tide times.

Dublin full tide is just after 10pm so the tide should be lower at what looks like peak wind times, looking like they will shift direction coming towards full tide.

https://www.tide-forecast.com/locations/Dublin-Ireland/tides/latest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Pangea wrote: »
    It has been a fascinating few days following this thread,I'm still waiting for everything to go belly up, let's be honest most potential interesting weather events tend to go that way in this country :)

Yeah I was expecting it to go west this morning and move away from us. Of course it might still do. If it moves further east then a lot more counties in the red zone.

dense wrote: »
    It's the weekend. RTE really only does foreign news at weekends.

Surely they have an oncall producer who can go "By the way, mention something about that storm heading our way.."

Edit: Wrote this post just after the 1pm news when there was no mention of the storm. Due to a browser glitch it only posted the comment at 7.40. Looked at RTE news just now and to be fair they did mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Great work guys.
    2 questions. At what stage would you be able to call it locked in as definite going to happen and where and what are the key update times over next day or so?

18Z multiplatform wind analysis, showing max winds 88 knots 38 NM east of the centre. Further expansion of the 64+ knot windfield to 85 NM. Central pressure 947 hPa.

2017AL17_MPSATWND_201710141800_SWHR.GIF

12Z ECM just rolling out

ECU1-48_pwk1.GIF

Note: 850hpa chart

ECU4-48_dpk3.GIF

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Deank wrote: »

south-east is the place to be for storm chasers, me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Pangea wrote: »

To be honest, “belly up” in this particular can really only describe an ‘upgrade’ (in the storm energy sense), and I think a lot of us would be happy for it not to get any worse than the current predictions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

18Z multiplatform wind analysis, showing max winds 88 knots 38 NM east of the centre. Further expansion of the 64+ knot windfield to 85 NM. Central pressure 947 hPa.

2017AL17_MPSATWND_201710141800_SWHR.GIF

Does that mean the south east is likely to bear the brunt?

Advertisement