Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Does that mean the south east is likely to bear the brunt?

That’s a chart of the current conditions of the storm, not anything predictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Latest WV image:

seviri_eurnat_wv6-2_20171014_1800.jpg

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 23,388 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

MJohnston wrote: »
    That’s a chart of the current conditions of the storm, not anything predictive.

So whats the prediction?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,144 ✭✭✭pad199207

I think folks in Wexford and Waterford should be very vigilant!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Latest 12Z ECM 850 hPa chart, Kts mean speeds

DmEF9lT.gif

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    To be honest, “belly up” in this particular can really only describe an ‘upgrade’ (in the storm energy sense), and I think a lot of us would be happy for it not to get any worse than the current predictions.

Speak for yourself...

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

pjohnson wrote: »
    So whats the prediction?

Have a read of the thread.

A post from the After Hours thread on Ophelia...
    Allinall wrote: »
    I'm getting two hatches installed in my house as I type this.

Just so I can batten them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Bsal

UK met office surface winds for 12z Monday in knots.

983985de0de7ae082fe405d3111eb52a.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

In comparison to Storm Darwin a few years back, how is this gonna compare? I live in South Tipp but will be in North Kildare while this is passing over, Im worried about the family as it was pretty bad down this way during Darwin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

pad199207 wrote: »
    I think folks in Wexford and Waterford should be very vigilant!
    Lb2cBHV.png

• Registered Users Posts: 35,882 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

That model keeps it at hurricane Cat 3 .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Latest 12Z ECM 850 hPa chart, Kts mean speeds

DmEF9lT.gif

That looks further east to me as in affecting areas like Wexford and Waterford as much as cork/Kerry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Bsal wrote: »
    UK met office surface winds for 12z Monday
    So a moderately windy day across most of the country... jaysus :rolleyes:

SSMIS 85 GHz scan (left) and 37 GHz (right) from 1735Z, both showing a bit of erosion getting into the western side of the storm, probably due to increasing shear or drier air. The 37 GHz shows the low level structure of cloud and rain as red, while the 85 GHz shows the upper level structure. Shear is set to increase tonight so I think we have seen the last of the nice sexy visible images of Ophelia as such a symmetric hurricane.

20171014.1735.f16.x.composite.17LOPHELIA.100kts-960mb-342N-277W.82pc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Yeah even met eireann throw out red warnings like confetti..

They are mean speeds, so wily enough for a while. Love how the 'eye' looks to go right over my area, killing any potential for anything interesting. :mad:

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The latest ECM .

lV4cntW.png

9KspqbR.png

Luf4QCW.png

TMsaVpP.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

I really think you need Gerry or Evelyn for a situation like this. Joanna just doesn't bring the same gravitas.
    I must say I like way Joanna presents the weather forecast because she goes in to great details sometimes to explain the charts for many viewers who wouldn't be weather savy like most of on here. Thank God It's It's not Evelyn Cusack who's was only brought in for eye candy. Having said that Joanna did look like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

The latest ECM .

lV4cntW.png

9KspqbR.png

Luf4QCW.png

TMsaVpP.png
    The brings the more severe gusts further inland in Cork than I kind of expected. A bit more concerned about the home folks now.

• Advertisement

Mod Note: Keep it on topic guys, note the Forum charter 1. Please refrain from direct personal attacks on any person whether they are members of boards.ie or not.

Can we quit the references about how our beloved weather ladies look? totally irrelevant.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I must say I like way Joanna presents the weather forecast because she goes in to great details sometimes to explain the charts for many viewers who wouldn't be weather savy like most of on here. Thank God It's It's not Evelyn Cusack who's was only brought in for eye candy. Having said that Joanna did look like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

Evelyn as eye candy??

I personally find Evelyn best for explaining charts. I wouldn't consider myself particularly knowledgeable about weather and I got very little from Joanna's forecast today. I always feel I've learned something from Evelyn.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Bsal wrote: »
    UK met office surface winds for 12z Monday

983985de0de7ae082fe405d3111eb52a.png

Please include the units if you’re including an image out of context!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

dusty207 wrote: »
    Haha, not a sign of anything stirring so far!

That's what you get for not letting them build a higher wall in favour of a nice view :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Big news item on bbc news 24 just now about the impacts of the storm on the Republic of Ireland
    They had Matt Taylor on as a guest explaining Met Éireann’s red alert
    He said it was going to be quite severe and damaging in the southwest of the Republic of Ireland but also 80mph gusts on Irish Sea coasts

It’s getting Real folks

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

All the models look like Cork City and County as a whole are going to get a hammering. Suppose it will be a test for Bandons new flood relief works, which are somewhat finished but not really. Water could flow up the river lee into the city aswell, which is something which could cause havoc if the storm surge is big enough. Shame the flood prevention works never got started because of some rejectors..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

More 4 now with Britain's Killer Storms makes interesting viewing considering what's on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

All the models look like Cork City and County as a whole are going to get a hammering. Suppose it will be a test for Bandons new flood relief works, which are somewhat finished but not really. Water could flow up the river lee into the city aswell, which is something which could cause havoc if the storm surge is big enough. Shame the flood prevention works never got started because of some rejectors..

So Mallow could get flooded again?

Advertisement