Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Since around 12noon, but the MetOffice in the UK only have Yellow (low) warning for wind.
    Would not like to be landing a plane around 4-5pm at DUB.

Looking at the current track of storm - it looks like many parts of the UK may not be directly impacted. Have to laugh at some of the UK media headlines - it would appear that Ireland doesn't exist lol

eg
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/hurricane-ophelia-uk-weather-latest-100mph-winds-threatening-travel-disruption-power-cuts-a8000136.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

shmaupel wrote: »
    Guess the Limerick kids are just gonna have to battle on :)

We're hardy. Don't worry about us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

NHC Hurricane-Force (64kt) sustained probabilities. Yellow is 30-40% Orange is 40-50%.

7e5a4197a1b3d61d8afc9d85ea35c905.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Titain

You will all laugh at this but is this an evacuation situation for Southwestern coasts

I won't laugh, I'm in the sw. Good question. I'm expecting power outages at the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

What is the estimated time of land fall or when winds of any significance will occur.

Just wondering about the potential for chaos as people will have gone to work on their usual commute and then find it near impossible to get home with fallen trees, cancelled busses and trains etc?

I reckon i’ll work from home Monday regardless .. I’m fortunate to have the option !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

sdanseo wrote: »
    NHC Hurricane-Force (64kt) sustained probabilities. Yellow is 30-40% Orange is 40-50%.

7e5a4197a1b3d61d8afc9d85ea35c905.png

These probabilities will increase over next few advisories.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

MJohnston wrote: »
    It doesnt, there are 3 charts and that was the 50kt one.

Apologies, I read the wrong chart.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

You will all laugh at this but is this an evacuation situation for Southwestern coasts

More of a stay indoors situation to be fair. An evacuation would be extreme to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Latest GFS predicted gusts

45-289UK.GIF?14-12

48-289UK.GIF?14-12

51-289UK.GIF?14-12

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

whippet wrote: »
    What is the estimated time of land fall or when winds of any significance will occur.

Just wondering about the potential for chaos as people will have gone to work on their usual commute and then find it near impossible to get home with fallen trees, cancelled busses and trains etc?

I reckon i’ll work from home Monday regardless .. I’m fortunate to have the option !

Latest indications I saw suggest that it will be impacting by around lunchtime Monday and going through to Tuesday, but there was a sudden five-hour change and I'm not sure if that's taking that into account or not.

I was thinking much the same about people commuting Monday morning and then being stuck. A lot of my workmates have to travel out from the city right into Connemara (and more to the point, back in again on that evening). Wouldn't be that surprised if people are sent home early on Monday.

Mind you, won't be that surprised if my workplace is inoperational on Tuesday. The gas tanks out the side are a bit worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Anyone know if Tramore, Co. Waterford will be hit hard?

We are status orange at the moment but being coastal gives that bit of worry.

Magic Seaweed have up that we could expect 28ft swells, and surfers around the town said they could reach 50ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

ICON brings hurricane force gusts onto most of the south coast around 0900h to early afternoon, and in fact would predict conditions at Kinsale energy platform of 80 knots gusting to 110 knots which would prompt concerns about its safety.

This would imply very severe damage along the south coast and considerable impacts up the east coast. The west coast is not totally spared either, but on this ICON track as I had outlined previously winds would only be moderate in Mayo and Donegal, even parts of west Galway and north Sligo. Winds would be severe up the west coast from Valentia to Galway however.

I expect this to be an eastern outlier among 12z output somehow, so take these comments simply as "what if ICON verifies" not a new forecast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Just realised that Monday is the 30th anniversary of the Great Storm of '87... that's a bit spooky.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Absolutely right either way, I agree with you, if ICON verified there would be massive waves battering the shore, big surges and roof-lifting winds, damage to infrastructure etc. Let's see what the whole 12z picture is but any trend towards that track would certainly mean the brunt of the storm felt in Cork and Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Magic Seaweed have up that we could expect 28ft swells, and surfers around the town said they could reach 50ft.

On current guidance, Yes most definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Been a bit focussed on there too - my home town. The bay opens right out into the direction of the storm, so I hope the prom is closed off - you know yourself what eejits are like for going and standing on it during storms. And I'd be a bit dubious of the amusement park as well, given its exposed position (and poor upkeep, at least when I lived there). I'd expect if there's damage it'll be places like The Atlantic, Majestic, Splashworld & whatever Celtworld/Storm is now and the apartments around there, plus Newtown and the part that dips down to the little pier near the Magic Well.

Most of the town is well raised up anyway, so flooding is unlikely to be an issue. Not much protection from the wind though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

51-289UK.GIF?14-12

Hang on a sec ...

Is that 100 kt (185 km/h) gusts over Tipp/Limerick/Galway ? :eek:

These probabilities will increase over next few advisories.

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

dashoonage wrote: »
    ill never understand that...any time there is a warning for that side of the island limerick is always left out :P

County Limerick was left out of the Top level Storm Darwin warning as well. It was only later included as the storm was active ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

but it doesn't seem to be moving? its in the same position as this morning :confused:

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=42.0;-20.3;3&l=wind

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

peasant wrote: »
    Hang on a sec ...

Is that 100 kt (185 km/h) gusts over Tipp/Limerick/Galway ? :eek:

No km per hr. Thankfully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

nagdefy wrote: »
    No km per hr. Thankfully :)

But it says "noeuds" (knots)?

But it says "noeuds" (knots)?

Jaysus it does.. Apologies :eek:

45-289UK.GIF?14-12

48-289UK.GIF?14-12

51-289UK.GIF?14-12

Those are 150+ KNOT gusts in purple.
    277 km/h.
    That is as JanuarySnowstorm said, evacuation level event if it comes off.

Edit: See later in the thread where it has been clarified that speeds are km/h not knots on the colour scale. Please heed the advice of more knowledgeable posters also. It's unlikely to be quite as bad as the above comment would indicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Samaris wrote: »
    Been a bit focussed on there too - my home town. The bay opens right out into the direction of the storm, so I hope the prom is closed off - you know yourself what eejits are like for going and standing on it during storms. And I'd be a bit dubious of the amusement park as well, given its exposed position (and poor upkeep, at least when I lived there). I'd expect if there's damage it'll be places like The Atlantic, Majestic, Splashworld & whatever Celtworld/Storm is now and the apartments around there, plus Newtown and the part that dips down to the little pier near the Magic Well.

Most of the town is well raised up anyway, so flooding is unlikely to be an issue. Not much protection from the wind though.

Yeah, celtworld is long gone and the amusement park is essentially loads of railings now as all have packed up and gone for the winter.

I ask mainly because of where I live, the end of somerville, I can see the sea from my house and the back strand is directly across from my house and the tides get quite high at times.

As MT said, not much has changed in the forecast for Monday. People talking about evacuating the southwest need to calm down. A Cat 3 will not hit us.

At the risk of repeating myself again, the current 100-knot intensity given by the NHC would equate to around 90 knots if this were a typical winter storm because of the difference between the windspeed classifications (1-minute Vs 10-minute). Knock around 11% off the NHC speeds to get the Beaufort speed. Now take that forward to Monday. 30-40 knots of weakening is very possible in the next 48 hours which would take it from its current 90 knots down to a more "survivable" 50-60 knots sustained winds, with of course higher gusts.

Certainly a very notable and interesting event but please let's not lose the run of ourselves here. There is no need for evacuations.

277 km/h.

Holy Christ.. that's scary..really scary..

As MT said, not much has changed in the forecast for Monday. People talking about evacuating the southwest need to calm down. A Cat 3 will hit us.

At the risk of repeating myself again, the current 100-knot intensity given by the NHC would equate to around 90 knots if this were a typical winter storm because of the difference between the windspeed classifications (1-minute Vs 10-minute). Knock around 11% off the NHC speeds to get the Beaufort speed. Now take that forward to Monday. 30-40 knots of weakening is very possible in the next 48 hours which would take it from its current 90 knots down to a more "survivable" 50-60 knots sustained winds, with of course higher gusts.

Certainly a very notable and interesting event but please let's not lose the run of ourselves here. There is no need for evacuations.

Hurricane Debbie potential do you think Gaoth Laidir?

Hurricane Debbie potential do you think Gaoth Laidir?

It will be travelling slightly slower than Debbie so I would not imagine we will see any worse winds than then.

• Advertisement

As MT said, not much has changed in the forecast for Monday. People talking about evacuating the southwest need to calm down. A Cat 3 will not hit us.

277 km/h.
    Holy Christ.. that's scary..really scary..

Just a caveat on my own post here..GL and MT are infinitely more knowledgeable than I. Apologies for being any way sensational, as it is just one model and the winds are offshore. Doesn't mean I'm not still worried.

Advertisement