Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein and #MeToo/sexual misconduct scandals

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Will the studios respond to this at some level? Perhaps not about the man himself, but they surely must make a commitment to ensure their workplaces are safe, that they have good reporting protocols.

Bah, who needs unions and workplace protections when you can have lynch mobs instead. And the best thing about them is that they eventually turn on each other.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I don't think it's fair to say why did Gwyneth keep working with him and maybe she was sleeping with him. We have no idea of the ins and outs. She may not have been in a position to turn down work. We don't know how involved he was in these particular films. And most importantly, working with him after the fact DOES NOT EXCUSE HIS PRIOR BEHAVIOUR.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭redshoes15

Re. the Affleck thing. I was standing at a bus stop when I was about 12years old. A man I had never met walked over to me and grabbed my vagina. He was with a group of friends, all pissed, I reckon from memory they were mid to late 30’s. A lady from up my street roared at him, he laughed, as did his scumbag friends. That kinda sh1t really stays with you. I wasn’t on national tv, the scumbag wasn’t Ben Afflick. If that man approached me now and apologised I’d stab him in the face.
    Weinstein is a lowlife scumbag. There will be dozens of rich, famous Hollywood royalty crapping themselves after this. Weinstein is the first of many I’d imagine. About bloody time too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

it'll make a great movie

John Goodman to play Wienstein .....and Wienstein to produce it

• Registered Users Posts: 85,184 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

philstar wrote: »
    it'll make a great movie

John C. Reilly as Weinstein with Weinstein producing :p

Apparently Weinstein has left US on a private plane for treatment in Europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kamu

I'd be curious to see if this will open the floodgates and more and more people who are/were in a position of power will have allegations made against them,
    or if Weinstein will be used as a scapegoat, as other posters speculated, and the other people who committed similar crimes, which must be numerous, will fade away.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Tigger wrote: »
    i'm fascinated to see how many more films GP made with mirmax after he was inappropriate with her in 94.
    he directed her oscar performance afaik

What's GP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Chester Copperpot

Ipso wrote: »
    I thought he was perceived to be a bully back in the day, supposedly how he bought the rights to films and buried them, forced edits etc

The snowpiercer saga is a good example of that. Must have driven the director to distraction

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Bah, who needs unions and workplace protections when you can have lynch mobs instead. And the best thing about them is that they eventually turn on each other.

Am thinking more along the lines of studios reviewing all scripts not yet in production that have women being raped as the default storyline, and maybe pulling back on that, due to potential overuse.

philstar wrote: »
    it'll make a great movie

Billy Cosby and Harvey Weinstein are going to do a road movie

"Fiddle her on the roofies"

• Advertisement

__..__ wrote: »
    What's GP?

Brad Pitt's girlfriend b4 Jen Anniston.

glasso wrote: »
    Brad Pitt's girlfriend b4 Jen Anniston.

I never knew he went out with her. I always thought Practitioner was an odd surname. Must have been a stage name.

I never knew he went out with her. I always thought Practitioner was an odd surname. Must have been a stage name.

Gwyneth Paltrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

• Registered Users Posts: 60,320 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Twitter has suspended Rose McGowan's account.

She is now using Instagram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

redshoes15 wrote: »
    Re. the Affleck thing. I was standing at a bus stop when I was about 12years old. A man I had never met walked over to me and grabbed my vagina. He was with a group of friends, all pissed, I reckon from memory they were mid to late 30’s. A lady from up my street roared at him, he laughed, as did his scumbag friends. That kinda sh1t really stays with you. I wasn’t on national tv, the scumbag wasn’t Ben Afflick. If that man approached me now and apologised I’d stab him in the face.
    Weinstein is a lowlife scumbag. There will be dozens of rich, famous Hollywood royalty crapping themselves after this. Weinstein is the first of many I’d imagine. About bloody time too!

see i get this
    you were assaulted and BA seems to only have apologised because he is getting accused finally now
    but did HW acually assault GP or did he simply proposition them and offer movie roles in exchange
    if so the once that were propositioned could simply say no, its not nice but its not criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

And that's why he unequivocally states that all sex was consensual. If it's not then he moves from just being a sleaze to being a sex offender.

Was he the sleazy, lecherous type that tried it on with everyone with a few small time actresses taking the bait for hope of furthering their career? Or was he a serial sexual deviant that forced himself upon helpless young women?

That's going to be the hard part to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,184 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Gwyneth Paltrow comes from an acting family dynasty plus her godfather is Steven Spielberg, I would think she would speak up to someone

Kate Beckinsale latest to come out accusing Harvey

http://people.com/movies/kate-beckinsale-harvey-weinstein-sexual-harassment/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Hollywood operates a casting couch system!! Who didn't know this? Or did people just think it went out with the 1960s and the "sexual revolution"?

I remember not so long ago that paragon of right-on thinking (and damn fine actress let's not forget) Susan Sarandon was being interviewed on a British chat show about her then current movie which was being produced by her then long-time life partner Tim Robbins.

"Hey. It's not the first time I slept with a producer to get a part." she laughed. She was joking of course.

Or was she?

Mind you, the audience laughed.

So it seems loads of women are coming out with their accounts of HW assaulting them now.
    They didn't speak out before.
    I still find the silence on what must be scores of other abusers deafening.

Why not all speak out now about any abuse and not just HW.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So it seems loads of women are coming out with their accounts of HW assaulting them now.

I hate to keep mentioning him myself, but for 'Harvey Weinstein', replace with 'Jimmy Saville' and think again on why abusers took their time to come forward, or remained silent. Are you to blame them for being unable / unwilling to speak up over the decades - at least until those cracks appeared & the floodgates opened? That's the whole thing about institutional abuse, it renders the victim doubly powerless because it stacks the decks against them and makes them feel they can't speak out. It's not as simple as just saying 'you should speak out'; for victims of Saville, those who did speak up were at best ignored, whereas here the 'casting couch' is considered a sly joke FFS. Just part of the Hollywood game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Ambra Battilana endured a tabloid smear campaign, probably orchestrated by Weinstein himself, when she made her allegations about him 2 years ago. Despite having a recording of him admitting to it, nobody cared nor took her seriously.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/did-the-media-help-harvey-weinstein-lure-his-prey-and-smear-his-accusers/2017/10/10/705b4bf2-adf5-11e7-9e58-e6288544af98_story.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Which begs the question what has changed in 2 years.

Weinstein p1ssed off the wrong powerful people who helped him cover up this stuff over the years and they have now thrown him to the wolves to protect themselves maybe.

He's not as powerful as he used to be, his company has been struggling for a while now, and the media has recently developed a taste for sexual harassment takedowns. And his behaviour over the years meant nobody was going to defend him.

Ben Affleck is now being accused of groping a makeup artist at the 2014 Golden Globes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

In hindsight Affleck should have stayed schtum and gotten advice. He'll be apologising every day at this rate. :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Why, despite the accounts from affected women over how they were ignored or discredited or punished for speaking up, do you persist in suggesting that it is the "women of hollywood" who are more to blame, rather than the men of hollywood who typically have more power and influence? Is it impossible for a man to be guilty of inaction or actively covering up systemic abuse?

Fysh wrote: »
    Why, despite the accounts from affected women over how they were ignored or discredited or punished for speaking up, do you persist in suggesting that it is the "women of hollywood" who are more to blame, rather than the men of hollywood who typically have more power and influence? Is it impossible for a man to be guilty of inaction or actively covering up systemic abuse?

Nobody is saying it their fault because they re women. But you are saying they are innocent because they are women. It actually applies to both sexes.
    If someone had of tried to abuse a man and he looked on at the steady supply of even younger potential and eventually victims going through the door of the abuser and only spoke up AFTER they had all been abused he would be savaged here.
    Look even Seth McFarlane is getting worse abuse than anyone else who didn't speak up that they knew about it. And he only had second hand info.
    You have a duty whether you are make or female to help stop abuse even if you survived it yourself. If you care more about your career than the next naive kid you watch walk through that door then you are to blame front and center.
    So man or woman. Speak up and prevent the next persons abuse.

The ones who spoke up were doing the right thing. The ones who left them speaking in their own, because they might get punished career wise are just scum. They enabled him and left the others who were doing the right thing out to burn.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Nobody is saying it their fault because they re women. But you are saying they are innocent because they are women. It actually applies to both sexes.
    If someone had of tried to abuse a man and he looked on at the steady supply of even younger potential and eventually victims going through the door of the abuser and only spoke up AFTER they had all been abused he would be savaged here.
    Look even Seth McFarlane is getting worse abuse than anyone else who didn't speak up that they knew about it. And he only had second hand info.
    You have a duty whether you are make or female to help stop abuse even if you survived it yourself. If you care more about your career than the next naive kid you watch walk through that door then you are to blame front and center.
    So man or woman. Speak up and prevent the next persons abuse.

The ones who spoke up were doing the right thing. The ones who left them speaking in their own, because they might get punished career wise are just scum. They enabled him and left the others who were doing the right thing out to burn.

Being a victim of sexual assault or rape is hard enough without someone mounting a high horse and telling you via the internet that you have a responsibility to confront your attacker, especially in a society that routinely ignores sexual assault as a serious crime and is so bad at dealing with it that at best maybe a fifth of rapes or sexual assaults even get reported, much less adequately investigated, and far fewer lead to a conviction after a trial. (See this recent news story for just one depressing example of the sort of fear that every rape & sexual assault survivor has about reporting their attacker.)

The men who knew about it and didn't do anything are more responsible than the women, because we are in a society where being a white man automatically confers upon you more credibility, authority, influence and power than any other gender and ethnicity combination. So they had a greater ability to act, which makes their inaction more egregious.

Imagine you're a woman who has found herself victim of a sexual assault or rape, who talks in confidence to a male friend about it, and that friend says something like "I'll talk to him about it" or "I told him to stop doing that", rather than "we need to go to the police and I will unambiguously support you". Even if you believe that you, in that position, would be a Tireless Pursuer of Justice (and somehow had the legal and financial resources required to do so without immediteately being sued into oblivion), to insist that every woman in Hollywood, regardless of how they may have been personally affected by what happened to them, should just shrug it off and put themselves at personal risk (while male colleagues of an alleged serial rapist and sexual attacker do nothing of consequence to stop him) is at best a very naive assertion that ignores the realities of systemic inequality and the psychological impact of assault upon the victim.

Advertisement