Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global Village on Newstalk

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

She suggested a move to RTÉ last night so that could be an avenue for her.

As the old quote goes "She would say that, wouldn't she?" She's out of a job and now is the time to try and land another one. Now that she's off the air, she's going to be forgotten about soon. I'm not sure why RTE would take her on. Apart from ticking a multitude of diversity boxes on one go, she has little to offer. Her program was poor fare and even RTE has standards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭jmcc

I'm not sure why RTE would take her on.
    RTE seems a bit of a cosy consensus operation and it might be wary about taking her on after the Newstalk problem. Even with the licence fee, RTE has to get advertising for shows. Another show that doesn't get large numbers of listeners and has difficulty attracting sponsors and advertising might not be attractive to RTE management.

Regards...jmcc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

glasso wrote: »
    The ironic thing about Dil is that her relentless preaching and lack of ability to consider an actual discussion has done more to harm the diversity discussion in Ireland. And she doesn't get that.

In your opinion maybe. I don't think she did any harm to diversity in Ireland.

And to all those who say she's never said a positive word about Ireland that's just not true. She very often sings the praises of Ireland and Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Dill published the news of her programmes demise on her Twitter feed.
    I left a polite comment, in no way spiteful nor even judgmental.
    Unfortunately it has still not passed "moderation" while many other remarks offering condolences etc. seem to be acceptable for publication! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

As the old quote goes "She would say that, wouldn't she?" She's out of a job and now is the time to try and land another one. Now that she's off the air, she's going to be forgotten about soon. I'm not sure why RTE would take her on. Apart from ticking a multitude of diversity boxes on one go, she has little to offer. Her program was poor fare and even RTE has standards

*IF* she was asked to broadcast global village on RTÉ I imagine they would throw a team of producers and assistants behind it to bring it up to whatever they deem to be acceptable standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

pilly wrote: »
    In your opinion maybe. I don't think she did any harm to diversity in Ireland.

And to all those who say she's never said a positive word about Ireland that's just not true. She very often sings the praises of Ireland and Irish people.

Anytime she praised Ireland it always had a negative qualifier like "in spite of all we've discussed Ireland is still a nice place" or "and there's some great people here but......" and "if you are able to ignore this issue then its not so bad"

Not exact quotes but i regularly heard her express very similar sentiments whenever i accidentally tuned in

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

VinLieger wrote: »
    Anytime she praised Ireland it always had a negative qualifier like "in spite of all we've discussed Ireland is still a nice place" or "and there's some great people here but......" and "if you are able to ignore this issue then its not so bad"

Not exact quotes but i regularly heard her express very similar sentiments whenever i accidentally tuned in

Well I have often tuned into the show, not "accidentally" and have the opposite experience so there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭jmcc

*IF* she was asked to broadcast global village on RTÉ I imagine they would throw a team of producers and assistants behind it to bring it up to whatever they deem to be acceptable standards.
    Could RTE afford to throw all those resources and promotion behind a show that would have a few thousands listeners and difficulty getting sponsorship and advertising? Would it?

Regards...jmcc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

RayM wrote: »
    She was explaining why she went into journalism in the first place.

She was a journalist?

Most journalists get the sack from gigs due to editorial differences or failure to meet requirements, they take it as part of a learning experience and move onto another gig ...................one job, looses gig ..........hmmm. Surely RTE will be happy to have her? Perhaps Fintin O'Toole will get her a column with the Times, she can battle it out with Una

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭blue note

Lt Dan wrote:
    Most journalists get the sack from gigs due to editorial differences or failure to meet requirements, they take it as part of a learning experience and move onto another gig ...................one job, looses gig ..........hmmm. Surely RTE will be happy to have her? Perhaps Fintin O'Toole will get her a column with the Times, she can battle it out with Una

You're watching too many movies. The contraversialists like hook or dunphy might leave a few places over the years from being fired or by standing by what they apparently believe. But getting fired for 99% of them is far from part of the job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I don't think she was making a comparison. She was emphasising the importance of standing up for what you believe in, even if your career suffers for that.

Hook made his comments on a Friday, and she went on her show the next day, because she believed the matter would be dealt with on the next working day.

What threats?

Newstalk are not claiming this happened, nor is anybody else.

She made a public threat thatbshe would not present her show while Hook was still on the air..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

blue note wrote: »
    You're watching too many movies. The contraversialists like hook or dunphy might leave a few places over the years from being fired or by standing by what they apparently believe. But getting fired for 99% of them is far from part of the job!

What ?

Dil was not in any career threatening controversies. She was not fired either, her show was cancelled. That IS normal, look at all those who got their shows cancelled on radio or tv or print. It is not career threatening. There is not a cat in hells chance that they would have being as quick to get rid of her if her listernership numbers showed up as it really would not have looked good for NT

Paul Kimmage was laid off from the Sunday Times because of what he talks about. He has done alright in recent years.

Dunphy is the biggest cat of journalism. He has more than 9 lives. He was originally with Newstalk in the morning and left due to difference of opinions on time schedule, lol. A few years later he was back at NT doing a Sunday Show and left on his own accord/protest. He has next to no problem getting work on tv and print , even if it means a non Dinny O'Brien company

You never heard of Craig Doyle? How many shows did he get pushed with RTE? He was able to go back to England, he even got a great gig with BT Sport to cover his beloved Rugby despite a disasterous stint at ITV doing the same (and BBC)

Kevin Myers bounced around both the Irish Indo and Irish Times before the Sunday Times , he is getting on anyway, only so many bridges one can burn

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

Bring back Marc Coleman & Bill Thormley.
    Campaign starts here.

Campaign starts here.

They could get a cough medicine to sponsor the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

I see Fintan was whinging about NewsTalk's 'fatwa' in yesterday's IT. He was also horrified about the treatment of Dill and the the lack of female presenters.
    Why doesn't he hire her. More diversity. Might be a good idea as it would make the IT even more out of touch of the views of the ordinary citizen and therefore create a crisis in readership that might lead to a softening of the ideological grip of he and his mates.
    Another editorial about their favourite son Halawa today. Strange how Fintan wasn't horrified by daddy saying homosexuality was a sin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Campaign starts here.

Ha, now there's a blast from the past.

That show used to get very heated at times, which was strange as it was on at such an odd time!

Marc Coleman.

The guy who wrote "The best is yet to come" about Ireland's prospects in 2007.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Marc Coleman.

The guy who wrote "The best is yet to come" about Ireland's prospects in 2007.

And he's right....

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    And he's right....

well he wasn't right for 2007 to 2016 really was he?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Ha, now there's a blast from the past.

That show used to get very heated at times, which was strange as it was on at such an odd time!

Yeah it was good radio actually.

Although Coleman's cough/snort tick was a little off putting at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I was under the impression that her media work was only a hobby, one night a week €50 cash in hand job.

Isn't she a nurse or something in real life?

I was under the impression that her media work was only a hobby, one night a week €50 cash in hand job.

Isn't she a nurse or something in real life?

She was a cleaner I think ?

said she was a kitchen porter the other night on Claire Byrne. I'd say that she was getting a salary from Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,087 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Anarchist! Cleaner!
    (To quote the immortal Blackadder)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

said she was a kitchen porter the other night on Claire Byrne. I'd say that she was getting a salary from Newstalk.

Her website claims that she currently assists almost 300 people weekly through her work as some kind of mindfulness councillor.

https://mobile.twitter.com/insight_matters

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Her website claims that she currently assists almost 300 people weekly through her work as some kind of mindfulness councillor.

https://mobile.twitter.com/insight_matters

Yeah those were her 300 listeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

I see your 'constructive criticism' isn't just expressed in the Ray D'Arcy forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Campaign starts here.

Great show

Right v left taking lumps out of each other every show but with reasoned non shrill arguments

Better than anything on Irish radio today

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Good one. Ha

• Advertisement

Perhaps it's time for her to upskill and get herself a better paid job in something she might be good at. Broadcasting wasn't it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement