Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global Village on Newstalk

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

I can't believe any fair minded person would think this. You see and hear what you want to see and hear.
    The intolerant left/

And I think you're full of it. Typical, you in incapable of backing up anything you say...so the labels come out to shut down the conversation. "It is, because I say it is"...yeah, right

In any case, the conversation has already been shut down...see above.

Mod: Banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Now now! No need to be nasty.
    I have pointed out several examples of left wing bias in Irish media.

Yosser is dead right. There is nothing but liberal opinion on Newstalk in particular. All presenters with the same views. Even Pat Kenny, who used to be the pillar of objectivity with RTE, does nothing these days but sit around his cauldron with Gina London and spit his bile about Trump (while at the same the hypocrites are bankrolled by Trumps advertising money). Even the sports show I used to love has become an equality rights-fest, destroyed by the liberal opinions of Joe Molloy and Ger Gilroy's. The only sporting competition that seems to matter on OTB these days is the competition to see who takes offence most easily.

I think it's a moot point at this stage though, I think the writing is on the wall for the station.

Yosser is dead right. There is nothing but liberal opinion on Newstalk in particular. All presenters with the same views. Even Pat Kenny, who used to be the pillar of objectivity with RTE, does nothing these days but sit around his cauldron with Gina London and spit his bile about Trump (while at the same the hypocrites are bankrolled by Trumps advertising money). Even the sports show I used to love has become an equality rights-fest, destroyed by the liberal opinions of Joe Molloy and Ger Gilroy's. The only sporting competition that seems to matter on OTB these days is the competition to see who takes offence most easily.

My point is liberal is not the same as left wing. Do you really think Pat Kenny is left leaning?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I think it's a moot point at this stage though, I think the writing is on the wall for the station.

But posters and people like get fussed over trivial stuff that have been debated and finalised ages ago. Women are equal, gays are accepted, racism is wrong etc etc. You want to hear opinions that suggest otherwise and the reality is that Ireland has moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Looks like there an interview with Dill on Claire Byrne Live tonight.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Looks like there an interview with Dill on Claire Byrne Live tonight.

Yeah I posted this earlier... But I didn't realise that it was starting at 10.30pm !! Is it always that late... I have to be up for six, so I may catch it on the RTE Player.

Fintan O'Toole... "By far the most important development is the firing of the wonderful @DilW by Newstalk. George Hook stays, she has to go -- says it all."

More liberal "outrage", never mind the facts about the situation...Fintan, while your up on your high horse, SHE TOLD NEWSTALK SHE WAS NOT PREPARED TO HOST THE SHOW. This does not constitute them firing her. Her show had a handful of listeners, and she decided to go on a protest. The biggest overestimation of one's on worth since the OTB First Edition thought the sports broadcasting world could not live without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Writing parts of your post in capitals indicates rage and anger. Same thing. You are seemingly oblivious to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭jmcc

Fintan O'Toole... "By far the most important development is the firing of the wonderful @DilW by Newstalk. George Hook stays, she has to go -- says it all."
    Don't think that O'Toole understands that Newstalk is a business and Hook brings in more advertising revenue than DilW. If other presenters don't make the numbers, they will be fired too. This isn't RTE where some failure is shuffled off to LyricFM or RTE1.

Regards...jmcc

But posters and people like get fussed over trivial stuff that have been debated and finalised ages ago. Women are equal, gays are accepted, racism is wrong etc etc. You want to hear opinions that suggest otherwise and the reality is that Ireland has moved on.
    So was the problem that Ireland had moved on but the show was firmly embedded in the early 2000s?

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

has she been on yet?

has she been on yet?
    Only started watching about 10 minutes in to the show.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    But you didn't and that's the point you gave absolutely no examples...

Where are these several examples? And because you are incapable of articulating your point of view you come out with meaningless twaddle instead like..

"I can't believe any fair minded person would think this"

"The intolerant left"

"You see and hear what you want to see and hear."

"You choose to ignore them as it doesn't suit your narrative."

maybe not left wing bias, but an overbearing sense of look how liberal we are.

take the furore over Martin O'Neill's comments before the Euros about not wanting himself and Keane to be seen to be a couple of queers. it was a bad joke, he apologised, but it was dragged up repeatedly afterwards ad nauseum, and then his apology wasn't good enough.

there was another example of Joe on OTB talking about some Dublin footballer, saying how ridiculously good looking he was. Joe wouldn't be caught dead saying that about a female footballer, because he knows his bollox would be in a jar in front of him the next day, similar to the reaction that John Inverdale got when he talked about Marion Bartoli's appearance at Wimbledon. it's the type of thing that makes you just roll your eyes to heaven and want him to move on and get back to sport.

i couldn't give a shyte about either of those instances (as long as they don't bring them up again!), but they were mentioned before on the thread.

ah tits. thought i was in OTB thread. points kinda stand though if you squint hard enough?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

She's on now.

On now.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

She seems very unbalanced.

Deluded. As usual.

maybe not left wing bias, but an overbearing sense of look how liberal we are.

Yes, but I did say in my op that "the Irish media is predominantly socially liberal". I don't have a problem with that bias because I think it reflects the fact that Ireland is a fairly liberal place these day. If you do, that's your prerogative.

glasso wrote: »
    Deluded. As usual.

She's worried about death squads hunting her down now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Christ, all this is missing is the violins.

What do the Sri Lankan death squads have to do with this?!?

• Advertisement

Did she say she didn't want George sacked?

sligojoek wrote: »

Just taken to a re-education camp....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Yes, she said that earlier tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Christ, all this is missing is the violins.

What do the Sri Lankan death squads have to do with this?!?

She was explaining why she went into journalism in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

"There's so much good in this country"

She's clearly never browsed this forum.

"If you've been affected by any of these issues..... "

Yeah, I'be been hunted by Sri Lankan death squads and fired by Dennis O Brien.

A little bit of lick-arsing there at the end trying to sneak a job in RTÉ. Very pathetic.

She seems very regretful despite what she is saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

So the evening after Hook's comments she did her show no problem. The following week she refused to present her show and then the third week she was sick as she caught the flu due the stress of being offended by Hook. Correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

She didn't want him sacked.............just brought around to her way of thinking. No other opinions can be tolerated in her world.:eek:

• Advertisement

Yep. Looks like a power play that went wrong. The mistake she seems to have made is in thinking that a station wouldn't try to protect a good earner.

Regards...jmcc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement