Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global Village on Newstalk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The way she kept referring to her show as her "civic duty" was really cringe. I think she's overestimating her reach and her importance in public life just a tad.
    Honestly I feel a bit bad for her losing her job, she's not an awful person she's just severely annoying. But that's the name of the game when you bad mouth your employer.
    Also the fact that nobody was willing to sponsor her show and she had to find one herself speaks volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

anna080 wrote: »
    The way she kept referring to her show as her "civic duty" was really cringe. I think she's overestimating her reach and her importance in public life just a tad.
    Honestly I feel a bit bad for her losing her job, she's not an awful person she's just severely annoying. But that's the name of the game when you bad mouth your employer.

Also, such a sense of entitlement. She seems to think she should be given a national radio show in perpetuity and how dare anyone take it off her. It doesn't work like that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Morgans

The saddest thing is how she feels that she went over and above to secure a sponsor for the programme, while not recognising that if the programme was any good or popular, Dil sourcing the sponsorship wouldnt be needed.

Still though the George Hook fans decrying the lack of diverse opinions rejoicing in what was a legitimately diverse programme (awful unlistenable ****e that it was) being taken off the air strikes as odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭sonic85

Ireland down from 9th to 14th in some press freedom thing and she say it's a slippery slope. To what exactly? An Irish version of a death squad? Give me a break.

She's been spouting crap about Ireland for years on her show and hasn't been censored over it so where's the problem? I think I threw up in my mouth a little when she said there's so much good in Ireland - has she ever acknowledged that before? Or is it only now when she's looking for work?

Its a wonder it's taken this long for her to be given the heave ho though. Sounds like it was very hard to even get a sponsor for her show

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

sligojoek wrote: »
    "If you've been affected by any of these issues..... "

Yeah, I'be been hunted by Sri Lankan death squads and fired by Dennis O Brien.

She was the one who walked out. What did she expect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Fairplay to Newstalk and Today FM, looks like they decided to fight back, banning the IT from the shows, getting rid of Dil and outing Walsh tonight (another times reporter)

About time there was a bit of a backlash against the PC brigade.

On a separate note, Matt was right to out Walsh, obviously Walsh thinks that Lance Armstrong taking EPO is a far bigger crime then his friend raping a child

She was def angling for a RTÉ job tonight. The way she said "I could work here, who knows!"

And also her line about so much good in Ireland-honestly I think this is the first time ever I've heard her express a positive opinion on Ireland!

A cynic might say she is backed into a corner now so has to tone down the attacks on this country- sometimes it's easy to forget that she personally chose to move to Ireland and make her life here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,156 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

jmcc wrote:
    Yep. Looks like a power play that went wrong. The mistake she seems to have made is in thinking that a station wouldn't try to protect a good earner.

They called her bluff and sacked her.

She seemed upset and still in shock tonight. With two young kids, she's just lost her job. It must be tough for her.

She seemed upset and still in shock tonight. With two young kids, she's just lost her job. It must be tough for her.

She says she has a deep passion for her show global village so possibly podcasting would be a way for her to keep it "on air" if she cannot secure another national prime radio station slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭jmcc

Yep. But Newstalk is not a greatly profitable station and a reorganisation of the schedule was probably on the cards anyway. Losing an earner like Hook from a primetime show was a bad thing and it was a simple binary choice for the management. Either the presenter was with the station or against it. With the Irish Times leading the PC charge, she chose her side and probably thought that the influence of the IT would be enough. When the IT led the charge of the PC lightweight brigade against Newstalk, they did not expect a barrage that would result in all IT journos being banned from Communicorp stations including Newstalk. That really hit a lot of these people hard because they make money from appearing on various radio and TV shows.
    Sad but a lot of others are probably in the same position but don't get an RTE interview. The Irish Times might give her a column but I wouldn't be so sure as she might be considered competition to the opinionators there already.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

jmcc wrote: »
    Yep. But Newstalk is not a greatly profitable station and a reorganisation of the schedule was probably on the cards anyway. Losing an earner like Hook from a primetime show was a bad thing and it was a simple binary choice for the management. Either the presenter was with the station or against it. With the Irish Times leading the PC charge, she chose her side and probably thought that the influence of the IT would be enough. When the IT led the charge of the PC lightweight brigade against Newstalk, they did not expect a barrage that would result in all IT journos being banned from Communicorp stations including Newstalk. That really hit a lot of these people hard because they make money from appearing on various radio and TV shows.

Sad but a lot of others are probably in the same position but don't get an RTE interview. The Irish Times might give her a column but I wouldn't be so sure as she might be considered competition to the opinionators there already.

Regards...jmcc

Slightly off topic but if a Irish times journo appears on Newstalk would they get paid for it or is it considered free promo for the paper

Slightly off topic but if a Irish times journo appears on Newstalk would they get paid for it or is it considered free promo for the paper
    Not sure. There was an FOI a while ago that covered journo appearances on RTE and some of the IT journos were getting a lot of money for appearances. They might get paid for appearances on Newstalk as well. Perhaps some of the radio management people in the forum might have more accurate answers.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

They get €40. Not bad for around 15 minutes work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,156 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

jmcc wrote:

The whole affair shows how small and interconnected Irish media is.

The whole affair shows how small and interconnected Irish media is.
    Yep. Insiders look after each other.

These are some RTE appearance fee FOI figures that were mentioned in the Sunday Times from 2009/2011:

Harry McGee €25165
    Michael O'Regan €15785
    Fionnan Sheehan €13800
    Pat Leahy €10260
    Maire-Louise O'Donnell €9784
    Shane Coleman €8560
    Noel Whelan €6240
    Terry Prone €5210
    Michael Clifford €4765
    Justine McCarthy €2860
    Fintan O'Toole €2740
    Pol O'Conghaile €2705
    Brendan Keenan €2675
    Paul O'Brien €2645
    Stephen Collins €2533
    Mary Minihan €2515
    Catherine Halloran €1945

TOTAL €120187

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

outing Walsh tonight (another times reporter)

The Sunday Times != The Irish Times

jmcc wrote: »
    Yep. Insiders look after each other.

These are some RTE appearance fee FOI figures that were mentioned in the Sunday Times from 2009/2011:

Harry McGee €25165
    Michael O'Regan €15785
    Fionnan Sheehan €13800
    Pat Leahy €10260
    Maire-Louise O'Donnell €9784
    Shane Coleman €8560
    Noel Whelan €6240
    Terry Prone €5210
    Michael Clifford €4765
    Justine McCarthy €2860
    Fintan O'Toole €2740
    Pol O'Conghaile €2705
    Brendan Keenan €2675
    Paul O'Brien €2645
    Stephen Collins €2533
    Mary Minihan €2515
    Catherine Halloran €1945

TOTAL €120187

Regards...jmcc

Presumably that covers TV appearances along with radio? Doubt Newstalk are anywhere near as generous as that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Conor Pope tweeted a pic of one of his Communicorp cheques. Clearly RTE is where the money is.

https://twitter.com/conor_pope/status/916263816136134656

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

RayM wrote: »
    Conor Pope tweeted a pic of one of his Communicorp cheques. Clearly RTE is where the money is.https://twitter.com/conor_pope/status/916263816136134656

The money is terrible alright. But I think it's petty and childish that he posts a picture of the cheque now. If wasn't happy with the money or the profile it gave him then he shouldn't have done it. I mean he's the one who normally starts a protest over the price of a stamp, yet he's prepared to work for 40 on radio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

sonic85 wrote: »
    Ireland down from 9th to 14th in some press freedom thing and she say it's a slippery slope. To what exactly? An Irish version of a death squad? Give me a break.

She's been spouting crap about Ireland for years on her show and hasn't been censored over it so where's the problem? I think I threw up in my mouth a little when she said there's so much good in Ireland - has she ever acknowledged that before? Or is it only now when she's looking for work?

Its a wonder it's taken this long for her to be given the heave ho though. Sounds like it was very hard to even get a sponsor for her show

Ironically it's people like her causing the press freedom to slip. Say what you want as long as it's OK to me. That's not a free press.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Just watched it. Not sure why it was necessary to tell the story about her abuse by the teacher in the context of the George Hook debate. Does she think for one second that George would blame a child for being abused by their teacher?

You know I thought that everybody in Newstalk would have been more offended by what Ibrahim Halawa's father said over the weekend. But as is always the case with Dil and Newstalk, it's more about WHO says something than what they said. Could you imagine if Hook has said something like this?
    http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/ibrahim-halawas-dad-blasts-homosexuality-11309046

By the end of the interview I was left wondering what the point of the whole thing was. Seemed like they just brought her on to have a whinge about being fired, without there being any real purpose to the whole thing.

Dil wants equal rights for everybody. Her show had no listens, it got cancelled. That's equality in action.

You know I thought that everybody in Newstalk would have been more offended by what Ibrahim Halawa's father said over the weekend. But as is always the case with Dil and Newstalk, it's more about WHO says something than what they said. Could you imagine if Hook has said something like this?
    http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/ibrahim-halawas-dad-blasts-homosexuality-11309046
    Nope, we're not a general media forum. That's utterly irrelevant to this thread.

Stay off the hobby horses and get back on-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I'd imagine the Claire Byrne was the last we'll be hearing from DilW for a while now. She'll toddle off in to obscurity. Not much room out there for a broadcaster with her lack of talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

professore wrote: »
    Ironically it's people like her causing the press freedom to slip. Say what you want as long as it's OK to me. That's not a free press.

That is complete and utter bollocks and surely you must know that. It's actually Denis O'Brien's near monopoly of private broadcasting and publishing that is the problem.

The fact that we've gone from being ranked joint No.1 to 14 is to do with the control Denis O'Brien exerts on the media landscape in this country not Dil's hourly stint once a week at a time when almost nobody listens to the radio.

https://mappingmediafreedom.org/plus/index.php/2017/08/10/irelands-media-ownership-concentration-seen-as-problem-without-solution/

Honest to God, the absolute nonsense people are coming out with in relation to this woman is incredible. I'm not a fan of the woman at all but if she can inspire so much bile from people, I'm starting to think she must have been doing something right.

I'd imagine the Claire Byrne was the last we'll be hearing from DilW for a while now. She'll toddle off in to obscurity. Not much room out there for a broadcaster with her lack of talent.

She suggested a move to RTÉ last night so that could be an avenue for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

She suggested a move to RTÉ last night so that could be an avenue for her.

I think her reputation as a toxic troublemaker that has ended her Newstalk career will see that not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

In her interview she mentioned that her uncle who was killed for his journalistic work was her motivation to become a journalist...

I cannot see how her 'stand' on the Hook issue is any way comparable. It was a self promotion move, I don't think anyone can argue about that? She went on the day after his comments without issue... only when CD decided to make a name for himself a couple of days later did she jump on board.

I think anyone that decided to publicly question and threaten their employer would expect a p45 pretty soon afterwards.

mloc123 wrote: »
    In her interview she mentioned that her uncle who was killed for his journalistic work was her motivation to become a journalist...

I cannot see how her 'stand' on the Hook issue is any way comparable.
    I don't think she was making a comparison. She was emphasising the importance of standing up for what you believe in, even if your career suffers for that.
    She went on the day after his comments without issue
    Hook made his comments on a Friday, and she went on her show the next day, because she believed the matter would be dealt with on the next working day.
    I think anyone that decided to publicly question and threaten their employer would expect a p45 pretty soon afterwards.
    What threats?

Newstalk are not claiming this happened, nor is anybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Hook made his comments on a Friday, and she went on her show the next day, because she believed the matter would be dealt with on the next working day.

She waited a LONG time to see which way the wind was definitely blowing

• Advertisement

The ironic thing about Dil is that her relentless preaching and lack of ability to consider an actual discussion has done more to harm the diversity discussion in Ireland. And she doesn't get that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement