Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi-LIDL Specials - Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cornet

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

https://www.aldi.ie/men%27s-red-winter-cycling-jacket/p/070712102354701

Anyone see this ? Wondering if it’s breathable? Had an Aldi jacket in the past that wasn’t and was horrible to wear . This one looks nice but didnt see in Aldi when I went in

• Registered Users Posts: 17,902 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I know they dont compare to serious lights but I bought the €5 front and back clip on lights for my junk bike because its so dark in the mornings these days and Im delighted with it, super bright and visible and you just tap the glass to turn it on and off, the best cheap light I ever used.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭plodder

cornet wrote: »
    Haven't used them on the bike yet, but they are seriously bright. The only question for me is how long they last on a charge. That remains to be seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Thargor wrote: »
    I know they dont compare to serious lights but I bought the €5 front and back clip on lights for my junk bike because its so dark in the mornings these days and Im delighted with it, super bright and visible and you just tap the glass to turn it on and off, the best cheap light I ever used.

what sort of battery do they take?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

After cancelling online order from uk I managed to get a rear light/camera in Aldi Coolock. They still had one on display and could still have some in the back. I had to ask for mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,902 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    what sort of battery do they take?
    2 of the large button cells each so not ideal but my commute is only a 15 minute cycle so fine for me, 4 batteries included in the pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭cyfac

Wore the long sleeve marino base layer under a sleveless gillet this morning i was like toast 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Alanbt

A couple of the camera lights left in the Sallynoggin store

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

The light set for €17.99, i used the rear light on flashing and it last near 5hrs, still life left in it when I got home.

I.just hope it lasts 1 winter at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Had a look in Aldi Parnell St. this afternoon but they had no lights left.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Anyone used the camera yet ? The velcro strap for fixing it to the seat post is as useful as a chocolate teapot. Camera just keeps twisting on the post so it's not pointing directly backwards. I think a rubber elastic strap is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

PaulieC wrote: »
    Anyone used the camera yet ? The velcro strap for fixing it to the seat post is as useful as a chocolate teapot. Camera just keeps twisting on the post so it's not pointing directly backwards. I think a rubber elastic strap is in order.

I used both Velcro straps together and it seems to stay put okay but I don't have a lot of confidence in it either. I too will be looking for an alternative - the Velcro will be rubbish in the rain!

plodder wrote: »
    Haven't used them on the bike yet, but they are seriously bright. The only question for me is how long they last on a charge. That remains to be seen.
    So, I used them on flashing mode this morning. Quite bright, though not full power, but were easily visible. When I got to the office after 60 min cycle, I plugged them in to see how long recharge would take, and it barely registered any loss at all (as in the charge led just stayed lit). Very happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭willdill

So there rwally warm mate yeh i do feel the cold big time so need a nice toastie base layer

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I used both Velcro straps together and it seems to stay put okay but I don't have a lot of confidence in it either. I too will be looking for an alternative - the Velcro will be rubbish in the rain!

I had a previous rear camera with a velcro strip on the mount, and it worked fine - didn't seem to pick up the rain at all, possibly because of the position.

Is anyone else seeing some 'unusual' operation with the camera.

1) After charging, when I unplug it, the LEDs start flashing, and I have to power them off
    2) The first clip recorded on each session seems to be usuable or unplayable
    3) It just seems to stop recording after about 20 minutes with a few beeps. There is plenty of battery and space on the card, but I have to press the button again to get it going.

Is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

3) It just seems to stop recording after about 20 minutes with a few beeps. There is plenty of battery and space on the card, but I have to press the button again to get it going.

What size is the file? I had a similar issue with a gopro years back, turned out that once the file size hit 4.7gb at around 20 mins it would stop on lower speed cards. No idea if it's similar here, but struck me as similar reading it.

Grassey wrote: »
    What size is the file? I had a similar issue with a gopro years back, turned out that once the file size hit 4.7gb at around 20 mins it would stop on lower speed cards. No idea if it's similar here, but struck me as similar reading it.

That could be down to the formatting of the card, if it was FAT32 it would have a file size limit of around 4gb.

I had a previous rear camera with a velcro strip on the mount, and it worked fine - didn't seem to pick up the rain at all, possibly because of the position.

Is anyone else seeing some 'unusual' operation with the camera.

1) After charging, when I unplug it, the LEDs start flashing, and I have to power them off
    2) The first clip recorded on each session seems to be usuable or unplayable

Is it just me?

No, I'm having similar issue although it seems to have about 55 mins before it stopped for me. Mine is filming in 5 min increments which I like but am raging I hadn't deleted this mornings trip before I headed home this evening as it stopped in the PP - I heard the 3 beeps but just assumed it was telling me I was going below 50% battery, didn't realise I could have just turned it back on again!!!

I'm assuming a bigger card (32gb) will help with this?

That could be down to the formatting of the card, if it was FAT32 it would have a file size limit of around 4gb.

For those of us who know nothing about this, what does that mean? I just put the card that came with the camera in, I didn't do anything with it first - should I have formatted it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

from another site

"I got this reply from Quesh today when I emailed them about the shutting off problem

We are currently waiting on the national holiday in China to finish so we can obtain the firmware for this item.

This will be available on our website as an update within the next 2 weeks."

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

PaulieC wrote: »

Pull the strap as far as you can with just the buckle on one side sticking out , then pull it tight and it should be fine . Doesn’t budge for me now at all even on NCD backroads and that’s saying something

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Grassey wrote: »

Small enough files - <500mb for 5 minutes.
    No, I'm having similar issue although it seems to have about 55 mins before it stopped for me. Mine is filming in 5 min increments which I like but am raging I hadn't deleted this mornings trip before I headed home this evening as it stopped in the PP - I heard the 3 beeps but just assumed it was telling me I was going below 50% battery, didn't realise I could have just turned it back on again!!!

I'm assuming a bigger card (32gb) will help with this?

I got to 23 minutes this evening, but it stopped again with loads of room left on the card. Bit strange.

For those of us who know nothing about this, what does that mean? I just put the card that came with the camera in, I didn't do anything with it first - should I have formatted it?

All storage has a formatting, hard drive, usb stick etc.

FAT 32 is as old as the hills but is still widely used and standard on portable storage. It has limitations one of which is a maximum file size of around 4gb.

You can get around it by formatting the card on your computer and choosing exFAT instead of FAT32. Just right click the card in my computer and choose format. You'll see it there. No real need to use it unless you are making videos of 4gb+ and if you've issues just format back to fat32. Just take care formatting it will wipe your card.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

All storage has a formatting, hard drive, usb stick etc.

FAT 32 is as old as the hills but is still widely used and standard on portable storage. It has limitations one of which is a maximum file size of around 4gb.

You can get around it by formatting the card on your computer and choosing exFAT instead of FAT32. Just right click the card in my computer and choose format. You'll see it there. No real need to use it unless you are making videos of 4gb+ and if you've issues just format back to fat32. Just take care formatting it will wipe your card.

Formatting will wipe the card and delete the config settings which set the time and date that is displayed on the video recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭darraghsherwin

Just wondering if anybody else could not access the SD card on a Windows PC?
    It worked fine on OSX but could not find the config file to change the date.

Camera quality is ok but seems to get the number plate right all the time, got some footage of some boy racer type trying to overtake on a bend before having to pull in for an oncoming car and then overtaking on the next bend on a stretch of dangerous bends around Lough Gill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭youtheman

cornet wrote: »
    Got a pair of these lights, front and rear.  The front one lasted exactly 2 cycles.  Was light rain on the first cycle and water got into the unit.  At the end of the second cycle it wouldn't work at all.  Currently have it is a bag of desiccant seeing if I can dry it out.  If not then I'll have to return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I purchased the light set for €17.99 and been really impressed so far.
    The rear light held up for a 5hr spin on flashing without dying and I used the front light on dark roads this morning and really lit up dark roads. I purposely travelled on roads that are unlit to test it and was that impressed I'm off to buy a 2nd set later.

I would be very pleased if the set lasted and it gives me options to head off on the dark dry evenings for a quick spin.

youtheman wrote: »
    Got a pair of these lights, front and rear.  The front one lasted exactly 2 cycles.  Was light rain on the first cycle and water got into the unit.  At the end of the second cycle it wouldn't work at all.  Currently have it is a bag of desiccant seeing if I can dry it out.  If not then I'll have to return it.
    That's worrying. I'll have to make sure I can find the receipt, just in case. Only used them once, and it wasn't raining.

• Advertisement

Think I'll be returning the camera. It turned off 3 times on my way home yesterday and once this morning on the way into work. Also, despite having footage of a very close/dangerous pass yesterday evening I did nothing with it - the hassle involved in finding software to cut the clip in question out and doing something with it doesn't seem worth it, especially as I'd calmed down by the time I got home! Not having the loop recording is a pain as you've to download/delete the card after each trip.

Advertisement