Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parliamentary Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Tuesday, 21 February 2017
    Seán Fleming (Laois, Fianna Fail)
    98. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if the fire arms Directive has been implemented here (details supplied); and if she will make a statement on the matter. [8305/17]

Frances Fitzgerald (Dublin Mid West, Fine Gael)

On 18 November 2015, the European Commission proposed a revision of the Firearms Directive (Directive 91/477/EEC as amended by Directive 2008/51/EC). Political agreement was reached on the draft Directive in December 2016. The text was endorsed by the European Parliament’s Internal Market Committee on 26 January 2017 and is due to be voted by the full Parliament in March, and if passed, will then formally be approved by the Justice and Home Affairs Council.

The Firearms Directive allows the Commission to adopt standards and rules on the deactivation of firearms. The Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2015/2403 of 15 December 2015 (Deactivation Regulation) establishes common guidelines on deactivation within the EU with the objective of addressing problems due to the illegal re-activation of firearms by using pieces of other deactivated arms, home-made pieces or pieces acquired via the internet.

This Regulation sets out common and strict minimum criteria for the way EU countries must deactivate weapons so that they are rendered irreversibly inoperable. This Regulation came into effect on 8 April 2016 and has direct application within this jurisdiction. It is important to note that the Regulation permits both firearms owners and registered firearms dealers to carry out the work required to render the firearm irreversibly deactivated in accordance with the regulation. The firearm must then be submitted to any one of the current [46] national competent authorities within the EU for verification and certification.

Ireland has not appointed a Competent Authority to verify the deactivation of firearms in accordance with this Regulation because there is no significant firearms manufacturing industry in this country and no formal training for a gunsmith is recognised by the State. However, the Department of Justice and Equality has received statements of interest from twelve interested parties who wish to be assessed to be appointed as a Competent Authority for the verification of the deactivation of firearms under the regulation. As the Regulation is currently being revised by the European Commission, these interested parties have been advised that the Department does not propose to progress their applications until the amended text has been agreed and approved by the Commission. In the meantime, the Birmingham Proof House has been approved by UK authorities to verify the deactivation of firearms in accordance with the Regulation and they have indicated their willingness to undertake such verification work for Irish customers.

The possession of any firearm, even after deactivation, will continue to require authorisation by An Garda Síochána.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

You know, what's not been said in the above answer says a lot;

No mention of

-semi auto ban/re-categorisation

-10 round mag limit

-etc etc

Chink of light?

Edit; What I mean is, the things not mentioned may not be finalised/ subject to amendment

Seanad Commencement Matters
    Wednesday, 1 March 2017
    10:30 am
    Paul Coghlan (Fine Gael)

As the Minister of State, Deputy Michael Ring, knows, I am concerned about the deer population generally in County Kerry. There are two types of deer, the native red deer, a most magnificent wild animal, and the imported Japanese sika deer. Frankly, I do not mind what the Minister of State does with the Japanese species which I do not think has a proper place in the national park. He can remove all of them. The only cull that should take place among the native red deer should involve old and infirm animals. As for the sika deer, it can be open season. I do not know how many hundred there are, but we want to protect the native red deer.

I accept that deer have caused some accidents. In that regard, I am particularly concerned about accidents occurring on the Killarney to Killorglin road. The provision of further fencing would be of great help in keeping deer within the bounds of the national park. As I do not think the erection of fencing would be possible on the Killarney to Kenmare road, perhaps more signage might be provided to warn motorists.

The Department has received a communication from the Wild Deer Association of Ireland. I suspect it has its own agenda and wants a licence from the Department to shoot deer in the national park. That would be extremely dangerous and is not something I would recommend at all. In fact, I recommend that the Minister of State have a meeting with the Kerry Deer Society. At this point I must declare an interest in that I am a member of the society. We are conservationists, not hunters, unlike some of the others. Through engagement with the Minister of State and his officials, a proper policy on the management of deer could be worked out satisfactorily.

I see a Senator from County Mayo present in the Chamber. She reminded me recently of a national park in that county, Ballycroy National Park.

Denis O'Donovan (Fianna Fail)
    The Senator might confine himself to Killarney National Park.

Paul Coghlan (Fine Gael)
    I will, but I am dealing with an Irish problem. Some of the native red deer could be relocated to Ballycroy, Glenveagh and Connemara national parks, as happened before. If there is overpopulation, I seriously recommend relocation to some of these national parks. Why not share them with others? I look forward to hearing the Minister of State's response.

Michael Ring (Mayo, Fine Gael)
    That is the first thing Kerry ever wanted to share with Mayo. A colleague of the Senator from County Kerry wants to bring in the Army to deal with other problems there.

Paul Coghlan (Fine Gael)
    The rhododendron problem.

The Senator does not want the Army to be brought in to deal with this problem.

Paul Coghlan (Fine Gael)
    No, I do not.

That is fine. I thank the Senator for raising this matter. There is a significant challenge in attempting to balance the demands of agriculture, forestry and conservation with the need to ensure deer populations occupying the same land resources are managed at sustainable levels and in a responsible and ethical manner. It should be noted that while the National Parks and Wildlife Service of my Department licenses the hunting of deer, my Department does not own the deer population. Deer roam freely throughout the countryside and are present in many parts of the country. It is not part of the remit of my Department, nor would it be generally possible, to cordon them in specific areas of land.

I am sure the House is aware of the unique position of the Kerry red deer. A survey of red deer on the island of Ireland undertaken in 2014 found that the red deer population in County Kerry was descended from an ancient introduction and merited conservation. During the mid-19th century the Japanese sika deer was introduced to Ireland in Powerscourt. It has thrived dispersed within County Wicklow and been translocated to other sites throughout Ireland.

Despite a long-standing overlap in the ranges of red deer and sika deer in County Kerry, no red deer-sika deer hybrids were detected there during the survey work. However, red deer-sika deer hybrids were identified in County Cork. Given their proximity, the County Cork hybrids pose a threat to red deer in County Kerry. As hybrids are not easy to distinguish visually, genetic testing is necessary to tell them apart from pure bred deer.Further genetic surveys are under way on deer in south-western Ireland and departmental officials in Killarney National Park continue to co-operate with this work.
    All wild deer species in the State are protected under the Wildlife Acts. However, there is an annual open or hunting season during which deer can legally be shot under licence. The open season for deer operates generally from the beginning of September to the end of February each year, depending on the species and gender of deer. This reflects the conservation needs of the species concerned including red, fallow and sika. Some 4,700 deer hunting licences were issued by my Department last year.

I point out that the hunting of red deer in Kerry is totally prohibited. However, permits may be issued by my Department to hunt red deer in Kerry in instances where they are causing serious damage to crops or forestry and these applications are considered on a case-by-case basis by my Department.
    I accept that deer can and do cause serious damage to crops and forestry. Control of deer on private property is the responsibility of landowners. Where control measures need to be taken outside the open season, landowners may apply to my Department for permission under section 42 of the Wildlife Act to cull deer. This offers a facility whereby a person can obtain a permit, on a case-by-case basis, to stop serious damage being caused by deer on specific lands. Permissions are only issued where there is evidence of such serious damage and on a case-by-case basis to take action by means which can include scaring, capturing or killing.

The Department routinely carries out localised deer counts on State lands such as in Wicklow and Killarney national parks. Where appropriate, and depending on the numbers and instances of damage caused by deer to habitats especially woodland, culls may be carried out to ensure that deer populations do not reach levels that would have negative consequences. However, it must be noted that the population of red deer in Killarney National Park and surrounding areas are of national conservation significance.
    My Department commissioned a comprehensive survey and report in the winter of 2016 on the distribution, population density and population structure of red deer and sika deer in Killarney National Park. On foot of the recent report, staff from my Department are currently undertaking a cull of deer in the national park, which will be concluded by the end of March.

Paul Coghlan (Fine Gael)
    I am very grateful to the Minister of State for coming to the Senate on this issue this morning and for his positive outlook in what he has said about the deer meriting conservation. I urge him to have a meeting in early course with the Kerry Deer Society, whose members would be most anxious to sit down with him.

Our views are broadly in line and we accept that where some serious damage is done it can be examined on a case-by-case basis. If deer are on a person's property, they are under the ownership of the landowner who can apply to the Department of Arts, Heritage, Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs for a licence, which is understandable. In a general sense, these are worthy of conservation and I accept everything the Minister of State has said in that regard. I would be happy to facilitate his meeting the Kerry Deer Society in early course.

Denis O'Donovan (Fianna Fail)
    The matter has been dealt with comprehensively. I thank the Minister of State, Deputy Ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

And we voted to keep this very expensive retirement home for has beens,wanna be's and also rans along with yesterdays men and women?If all they can produce is nonsense like this??:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    And we voted to keep this very expensive retirement home for has beens,wanna be's and also rans along with yesterdays men and women?If all they can produce is nonsense like this??:rolleyes:

We also vote for the likes of Aodain O'Riordain who bang on about having the seanad abolished, but then happily enter the seanad when they get the boot as td's. Then they wonder why people are disillusioned with politics in Europe and America.

• Advertisement

Dáil debate
    Tuesday, 7 March 2017
    National Parks and Wildlife Service

5:15 pm Bríd Smith (Dublin South Central, People Before Profit Alliance)
    25. To ask the Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht if a formal request has been made to An Garda Síochána to investigate the loss of weapons and ammunition in the National Parks and Wildlife Service; and if she will ensure that any report on this issue will be made available to the public. [11716/17]

Bríd Smith (Dublin South Central, People Before Profit Alliance)
    Has a request been made to An Garda Síochána or any outside body with regard to weapons and ammunition held by the National Parks and Wildlife Service? Will the Minister of State ensure any report emanating from such an investigation will be made available to the public?

The Department of Arts, Heritage, Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs is not aware of the loss of any high-calibre weapons or ammunition from armouries. As part of its annual asset verification process, my Department undertakes reviews of sensitive assets, including firearms. These are routine and standard asset reconciliation, verification and management exercises. An annual report is being prepared for the Department's management board on foot of the verification exercise conducted in 2016. No loss of weapons or ammunition was identified in that process. The 2017 audit of such firearms, which commenced recently, is being combined with an additional review of the Department’s management procedures in respect of firearms and ammunition. The purpose of this review is to ensure the Department's management procedures and policies with regard to controls on firearms and ammunition remain robust. To date, no issues of asset reconciliation have come to my attention.

The Deputy will appreciate that given the particular security considerations attached to firearms, the Department does not generally publish any details concerning the number of firearms held or their location. If the Department becomes aware of the loss of a firearm, it will of course notify the Garda Síochána.

My question did not drop out of the sky. Members of staff in the National Parks and Wildlife Service have concerns with regard to the arms and ammunition held by the service. The Minister of State has told the House that an audit was carried out in 2016 and the 2017 audit has just commenced. Is this a regular occurrence? Are arms and munitions audited annually? Is the Minister of State satisfied that the 2016 audit has delivered the required level of detail to ensure the Department complies with the Firearms Acts? There is real concern among staff members in the National Parks and Wildlife Service that some arms and munitions are unaccounted for. The Minister of State is telling me that the audit is done and that he is happy with it, but it is not available to the public. Would it be made available to me or anybody else who might submit a freedom of information request in respect of it? I would like to hear the Minister of State reiterate that he is happy with the 2016 audit. When is it likely that the results of the 2017 audit, which has commenced, will be available?

My understanding is that a report is compiled every year. The 2016 audit has already been carried out. I am waiting for that report to come to the management board. All Ministers will get a copy of that. I am sure information will be made available. The Deputy will understand that some information is sensitive. Information relating to the location of arms and ammunition cannot be thrown around. For security reasons, we are not allowed to provide such information. I have been told by officials in my Department that no issues in respect of missing ammunition or equipment arose in 2016. I cannot tell the Deputy more. I am being honest when I say that. In addition to the 2017 review, there will be an examination of procedures to make sure they are carried out in accordance with regulations. I assure the Deputy that I have been assured by my Department that nothing warranting an investigation was found in 2016. The 2017 audit is now taking place. There are further security checks this year because we want to make sure nobody is put in danger. We cannot say what ammunition we have or where that ammunition is located. We cannot say what rifles or guns are held for use by our rangers.

I accept the Minister of State's comment to the effect that he has been informed by his Department that the audit for 2016 is in good condition. However, he has not seen that audit.

No.

When will he see the 2016 and 2017 audits? The Minister responsible needs to look at those audits. There are concerns about the systemic underfunding of the National Parks and Wildlife Service. This is a reflection of other issues like the underfunding of the protection of corncrakes and curlews and the mismanagement of moneys going to farmers in the wrong places for the protection of the right birds. I do not have time to go into the detail of the anomalies in how proportionately conservation grants are divvied out to farmers. There are problems with the checks that are done to see how those grants are used. For example, there needs to be an assessment of whether farmers are doing the works that are required to protect species like the corncrake and the curlew and of whether there is enough oversight on the whole project. That some of this work has been outsourced to Birdwatch Ireland, an organisation for which I have great respect, is an indication of the systemic underfunding and understaffing of the National Parks and Wildlife Service. This could have an impact on the oversight of munitions and arms.

The Deputy tabled a simple question about ammunition and guns. I assure her that my officials are telling me that nothing needs to be reported to anybody and that the report which has been done will be before the management board meeting soon. The Deputy also asked about staffing. As she knows, the Minister, Deputy Humphreys, and I have been in the process of employing new rangers since were appointed to this Department. New rangers are needed. I understand that a massive number of applications have been submitted in response to an advertisement looking for eight new rangers. I hope these jobs will be filled very quickly. The Deputy is quite correct when she suggests that the National Parks and Wildlife Service has a big workload. It has a lot of work to do. It needs more staff. Outgoing staff were not replaced when the economy was not going well. I assure the Deputy that these new staff will be employed and that the positions of those who retire will be filled as well.

Brid smith is probably worried about the misuse of firearms, poaching and other wildlife crime in her particular part of Jobstown .

Tuesday, 7 March 2017
    70. To ask the Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht if her attention has been drawn to an investigation by the National Parks and Wildlife Service regarding the loss of high calibre weapons and ammunition from armouries in different parts of the country; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [11715/17]

My Department is not aware of the loss of any high calibre weapons or ammunition from armouries and no such investigation is under way.
    As part of its annual asset verification processes, my Department undertakes reviews of sensitive assets, including firearms. These are routine and standard management exercises. An annual report is currently being prepared for the Department’s Management Board with regard to the verification exercise conducted in 2016. No loss of weapons or ammunitions were identified.

The 2017 audit of such firearms has recently commenced and is being combined with an additional review of the Department’s management procedures in respect of both firearms and ammunition. The purpose of this review is to ensure that the Department’s management procedures and policies with regard to controls on firearms and ammunitions remain robust.
    As the Deputy will appreciate, given the particular security considerations attached to firearms, the Department would generally not publish any details concerning the number of firearms held or their location. In the event that the Department became aware of the loss of a firearm, it would, of course, notify the relevant authorities.

Looks to be a follow-on question submitted before the Dail debate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Was there a report, or is there an issue with firearms going missing.

We know it's happened before with An Gardaí, etc. but this time it seems to be the NPWS and Bríd Smith seems to pushing a little hard for a random topic/question.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

I was thinking the same thing myself Cass, has Smith heard a whisper of something getting pinched ?

• Advertisement

Wonder what kind of hardware does the NPWS actually have??I was told that O/U combo rifle shotguns were once a pretty common gun in that dept??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Wonder what kind of hardware does the NPWS actually have??I was told that O/U combo rifle shotguns were once a pretty common gun in that dept??

Dunno about the firearms, but i was talking to a salesman in conns cameras in dublin, and he told me they supply leica bins, nice and not cheap.

Nothing but the best of course is good enough for our "public servants".:rolleyes:

Thursday, 11 May 2017
    Eamon O'Cuiv
    167. To ask the Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht her plans to introduce a ban on hunting and shooting between 12 a.m. and 6 a.m. from 1 September to 31 March each year; the implications this could have for farmers, particularly on commonages that use shooting and hunting as a way of controlling foxes that attack sheep; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [22494/17]

Heather Humphreys (Cavan-Monaghan, Fine Gael)
    It is my understanding that a report has been produced by a working group set up by the Firearms Consultative Panel of the Department of Justice and Equality which recommends best practice guidelines on the issue of shooting and hunting at night. The report is now with the Firearms Consultative Panel itself and it is a matter for that body to further consider the recommendations in the report. An official of the National Parks and Wildlife Service of my Department is a member of the Firearms Consultative Panel.
    I should state that I would support any best practice guidelines that promote health and safety but at the same time allows farmers/landowners protect their livelihoods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

And that's a wrap.....

And that's a wrap.....

?

As in its done and dusted.

"I should state that I would support any best practice guidelines that promote health and safety but at the same time allows farmers/landowners protect their livelihoods."

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

As in its done and dusted

? What's done

Tuesday, 16 May 2017
    Pat Deering (Carlow-Kilkenny, Fine Gael)
    323. To ask the Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht how a wildlife licence to shoot wild deer can be obtained. [22681/17]

There is an annual open season during which deer can be legally shot under licence. The open season for deer operates generally from 1 September to 28 February, depending on the species and gender of deer. Individuals can now apply to my Department for an annual deer hunting licence for the 2017/18 season. Application forms can be accessed through the website of the National Parks and Wildlife Service of my Department at www.npws.ie or by contacting the Wildlife Licensing Unit of my Department.

Thursday, 18 May 2017
    Michael Healy-Rae (Kerry, Independent)
    185. To ask the Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht if she will address a matter (details supplied) regarding night-time shootings; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [23657/17]

While I have no proposals to amend the Wildlife Acts, it is my understanding that a report has been produced by a working group set up by the Firearms Consultative Panel of the Department of Justice and Equality which recommends best practice guidelines on the issue of shooting and hunting at night. The report is now with the Firearms Consultative Panel itself and it is a matter for that body to further consider the recommendations in the report. An official of the National Parks and Wildlife Service of my Department is a member of the Firearms Consultative Panel.

I should state that I would support any best practice guidelines that promote health and safety but at the same time allows farmers/landowners protect their livelihoods.

• Advertisement

Tuesday, 20 June 2017
    Jonathan O'Brien (Cork North Central, Sinn Fein)
    913. To ask the Tánaiste and Minister for Justice and Equality the details of proposed changes to legislation that would ban the practice of night-time shooting and hunting. [27875/17]

Charles Flanagan (Laois, Fine Gael)
    I can inform the Deputy that there is no proposal to ban night time shooting. At a meeting of the Firearms Consultative Panel (chaired by my Department) held on April 5th 2016, shooting groups stated that illegal shooting at night is a serious safety issue which needed to be addressed. As a result a working group on night time shooting chaired by the National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) with membership from An Garda Síochána and other shooting interest groups held a number of meetings resulting in a draft report prepared by the NPWS. The proposals in the draft report do not contain a legal ban on night time shooting but rather are intended to act as best practice guidance for shooters. I understand, during discussions by the working group, that many issues arose for consideration in what is a complex and challenging area.

That draft report was submitted to the Firearms Consultative Panel for consideration on April 20th 2017. While the draft report received considerable support, certain concerns were raised. As a result members of the Firearms Consultative Panel were invited to make submissions by June 1st which will be considered by the NPWS chair of the working group on night time shooting, in conjunction with members of the Working Group. A full meeting of the Firearms Consultative Panel, chaired by my Department, will subsequently consider the matter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Illegal shooting at night is outside the purview of the FCP. It's a matter for An Gardaí.

The FCP DID NOT propose this ban but only a couple of groups within it so the statement about widespread support for the proposals is utter tosh.

The so called "sports coalition" should stick to shooting matters not criminal issues. Better again crawl off and die away, quietly.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    The so called "sports coalition" should stick to shooting matters not criminal issues. Better again crawl off and die away, quietly.

Nah, take them round the back of the barn like ol yeller.

Tuesday, 11 July 2017
    Fergus O'Dowd (Louth, Fine Gael)
    328. To ask the Tiste and Minister for Justice and Equality the number of persons who, between 1 January 2016 and 30 June 2017, applied to his Department to become registered firearms dealers; the number of persons that have been granted a gun dealer's licence in the same period; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [32916/17]

Section 9 (3) of the Firearms Act 1925, as amended, provides for the registration of a person as a firearms dealer. Any person who applies for registration must satisfy the Minister that “he is immediately about to carry on business as a firearms dealer .... in premises suitable for that business.”
    Further, the section provides, inter alia, that the Minister shall have regard to the character of the applicant, and generally to the public safety and preservation of the peace when considering such applications.

A person who wishes to become a firearms dealer must first obtain an application form (form 7) which is available on my Department's website. The completed form must be lodged with the Sergeant of the Garda sub-district where the applicant resides and An Garda Sh will then prepare a suitability report on the character of the applicant and a crime prevention report on the proposed business location.

The number of persons that applied to join the register of firearms dealers for the first time from 1 January 2016 to 30 June 2017 was 22. This figure does not include those who renewed their registration on the register during this period. The total number of the first time applicants that were granted registration during the same period was 8.

In relation to the 14 remaining persons:
    10 applications await final Garda reports.
    3 applications await further information from the applicant themselves.
    1 application was refused.

Wednesday, 26 July 2017
    Michael Collins (Cork South West, Independent)
    465. To ask the Tánaiste and Minister for Justice and Equality his plans to introduce a night-time shooting ban; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [35275/17]

Michael Collins (Cork South West, Independent)
    539. To ask the Tánaiste and Minister for Justice and Equality his plans to introduce a night-time shooting and hunting ban for gun clubs and predator control; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [35911/17]

I propose to take Questions Nos. 465 and 539 together.

I can inform the Deputy that there is no proposal to ban night time shooting. At a meeting of the Firearms Consultative Panel (chaired by my Department) held on April 5th 2016, shooting groups stated that illegal shooting at night is a serious safety issue which needed to be addressed. As a result a working group on night time shooting chaired by the National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) with membership from An Garda Síochána and other shooting interest groups held a number of meetings resulting in a draft report prepared by the NPWS. The proposals in the draft report do not contain a legal ban on night time shooting but rather are intended to act as a voluntary code of best practice guidance for shooters. I understand, during discussions by the working group, that many issues arose for consideration in what is a complex and challenging area.

That draft report was submitted to the Firearms Consultative Panel for consideration on April 20th 2017. While the draft report received considerable support, certain concerns were raised. As a result members of the Firearms Consultative Panel were invited to make submissions by June 1st which will be considered by the NPWS chair of the working group on night time shooting, in conjunction with members of the Working Group. A full meeting of the Firearms Consultative Panel, chaired by my Department, will subsequently consider the matter.

That's a repeat of the 18 May and 20 June questions above.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I can inform the Deputy that there is no proposal to ban night time shooting.

The proposals in the draft report do not contain a legal ban on night time shooting but rather are intended to act as a voluntary code of best practice guidance for shooters.
    Can anybody here explain to me how a voluntary code of best practice guidance for shooters would help curb illegal night time shooting? I'm guessing that voluntary means that you obey the code of best practice if you want to and ignore it if you want to. Isn't that the definition of voluntary?

And even if it was law that night time shooting was illegal, it would do fcukall to curb illegal night time shooting.

A full meeting of the Firearms Consultative Panel, chaired by my Department, will subsequently consider the matter.
    Ha ha. Not now they won't. Seeing as the FCP is in the sh1tter for the moment.

Anything in paper that resembles a "code of practice" in the hands of a superintendent becomes a defacto ban as it becomes a condition on your license.

Someone is very busy putting in these questions in an attempt to soften the landing into the pile of ****e created by the Sports Coalition of vested interests.

Thursday, 28 September 2017
    Brid Smith (Dublin South Central, People Before Profit Alliance)
    111. To ask the Tiste and Minister for Justice and Equality if firearms assigned to the National Parks and Wildlife Service are registered with his Department. [41012/17]

David Stanton (Cork East, Fine Gael)
    Firearms certificates are a matter for An Garda Sh. I am advised by the National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) and An Garda Sh that rangers within the NPWS are licensed individually by An Garda Sh to hold specified firearms for use in their duties.

Sparks wrote: »
    Thursday, 28 September 2017

Seems odd a red like her inquiring about firearms being licenced like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

gunny123 wrote: »
    Seems odd a red like her inquiring about firearms being licenced like that.

Was there not a story floating around that a number of NPWS firearms had gone AWOL (along with some from Garda and Army stores)?

Advertisement