Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Testing exemption for all vintage vehicles

• 29-09-2017 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Minister Shane Ross has signed the S.I's exempting all pre 1980 Vehicles including Commercial Vehicles which are being used solely for non-commercial purposes from testing and from May 2018 there will be a 2 year test for Vehicles between 30 and 40 years. From 2020 there will be a move to a rolling 40 year exemption.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

PanhardPL wrote: »
    from May 2018 there will be a 2 year test for Vehicles between 30 and 40 years. From 2020 there will be a move to a rolling 40 year exemption.

So you are saying that from January 2nd 2020, a car first registered on January 1st 1980 no longer needs an NCT?

And that from May 2nd 2018, a car registered on or before May 1st 1988 gets a 2 year NCT?

Any link?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Does that meant that an 87 camper that now does a yearly DOE, will automatically get a 2 year CVRT??

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

S.I.413 of 2017 Commercial Vehicle Roadworthiness (Vehicle Testing) (Amendment) Regulations 2017

S.I.414 of 2017 Authorisation of Comercial Vehicle Roadworthiness Test Operators And Testes (Amendment) Regulations 2017

S.I.415 of 2017 Road Traffic (National Car Test) Regulations 2017

Details of above to be found on http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/statutory.html

S.I.415 alone is 75 pages :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Thanks for the link Panhard PL

Lots to take in there

Looks like a reasonable advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Got an email from the VVTA (truck association) about this this evening. A rolling exemption is good news for us. I must say I think that this is a very reasonable, common sense approach, which is rare nowadays!

So its a test every 2 years between 30 and 40 years old, and exempt after 40 years? Good!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

kadman wrote: »
    Does that meant that an 87 camper that now does a yearly DOE, will automatically get a 2 year CVRT??

it seems to be the case,which is good as my camper is 1987. Exempt from 2027

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Super news. I'm actually amazed they softened the regulations. Great news for 80s and 90s cars that might well have otherwise be destined for the scrappers.

My 1983 is due its annual NCT at the end of October this year. I guess I'll have to wait till October 2018 to get a two year cert? That is somewhat annoying that someone who's NCT date is six months later will get 24 months.

Probably timely to propose a vote of thanks to all the organisations, clubs and individuals who helped to bring about this result. Not forgetting the folks at Irish Vintage Scene who kept us updated.
    Well done everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

Now if only they would apply the same common sense by allowing (unissued) pre-1987 registrations to be issued to classic and vintage vehicles?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Isambard wrote: »
    it seems to be the case,which is good as my camper is 1987. Exempt from 2027

Me too:)

all i have to do is keep it going until then and then it can gently crumble away into dust, as indeed might I too by then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

So for a short period of time a 1979 reg vehicle will need an NCT. Between May and December 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

w124man wrote: »
    So for a short period of time a 1979 reg vehicle will need an NCT. Between May and December 2018

No. The existing regulations stand until May 2018 (NCT exempt), and then....

(9) Subject to paragraphs (4) and (7), section 18 and these Regulations do
    not apply to a vehicle—

(a) which has reached the fortieth anniversary of its first registration,
    (b) first registered prior to 1 January 1980, or
    (c) which is used solely on an off-shore island,
    (d) on the day on which a test certificate in respect of the vehicle had
    been refused,
    (e) in the 24 hour period prior to a test appointment in the case of a
    vehicle heretofore used solely on an off-shore island attending for a
    first test provided evidence of the appointment is produced, or
    (f) which is owned or operated by the Garda Síochána or the Defence
    Forces.

Statute 415, page 9, section 9,(b)

But you will need a CVRT until May 2018 and then.....

(d) the introduction of an exemption for vehicles first registered prior to 1
    January 1980 which are being used solely for non-commercial purposes

which will move to a rolling 40 year exemption in 2020 with vehicles
    between 30 and 40 years of age (used solely for non-commercial purposes)
    being required to undergo compulsory roadworthiness testing biennially
    (every second year) instead of annually from 20 May 2018.

Statute 413, page 16, section (d).

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭choppermutt

I must be a bit slow but i Didn't follow the last comment....

Does a 1979 reg car need an NCT between May and December of 2018?

no

see 9b

Item about this in the November Irish Vintage Scene Magazine.
    Apparently there were over 2000 submissions to the RSA consultation and a similar exercise in the UK attracted 2217 submissions.
    Quite an effort given the difference in population.

By the way there is a good article about Aston Martins in Ireland with some lovely pics.

(No connection just a happy subscriber.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭corglass

Ok so I've a 1980 Landcruiser that's classed as passenger and currently subject to annual NCT. Do I now go to 2 yearly NCT? When is this effective from?

corglass wrote: »
    Ok so I've a 1980 Landcruiser that's classed as passenger and currently subject to annual NCT. Do I now go to 2 yearly NCT? When is this effective from?

It's in this thread.

From my reading of it is the next time you do an NCT after May 2018, you will get 2 years as your car is between 30 & 40 years old.

From 2020 onwards it will be exempt (I guess when it hits the 40 year mark from the date of registration).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭corglass

Dades wrote: »
    From my reading of it is the next time you do an NCT after May 2018, you will get 2 years as your car is between 30 & 40 years old.

From 2020 onwards it will be exempt (I guess when it hits the 40 year mark from the date of registration).
    Thanks, that's a much more helpful reply than the first one I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Dades wrote: »

Oh man, my NCT is due in Feb :(If I hold out (no big deal as it will be off road until May), I wonder would I get a 2 year NCT?

I mentioned in my CVRT centre yesterday that next time I'd be getting a two year cert and they had not heard about the changes.

Thanks, that's a much more helpful reply than the first one I got.

Sorry I was in a hurry at the time and only had time to send you a quick pointer.
    It was intended to be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Just for clarification, cars that are between 10 and 29 years old will still have to have a yearly nct?

commited wrote: »
    Oh man, my NCT is due in Feb :(If I hold out (no big deal as it will be off road until May), I wonder would I get a 2 year NCT?
    I would be thinking that too in your position!

Mine is due this month and considering I got penalty points last year for being out of date, I can't wait till May. :p

My '87 passed the NCT this evening. Valid until 10/2018. The good thing is that it then will only ever need an NCT in '18 / '20 / '22 / '24 / '26 and then is forever NCT free?

Happy days so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

My 81 passed a few weeks ago too..I've mixed feelings.... playing devil's advocate here but as a car nut I do see the benefits of some formal testing..(bring on the hate.. :) ).. 55quid for brake / suspension / structural integrity check is good value imo... maybe not every year.. but maybe on first registration or every say 2 to 4 years? It'll just keep owners on there toes and it's good to have a 2ns set of eyes....

I've a 72 too that I'd like to put through next spring just for a sheet with numbers... it's a cheap test for the testing involved imo....

I've legallyone more test on the 81... but I'll still run it through every 24 months just for the hell of it. And get some numbers on a sheet to let my inner amateur mechanic know how good or bad I am..

I couldn't agree more. Putting the car through the NCT every year might be a pain in the hole, but it is great value for money for a very thorough test. My car had a brand new MOT, but obviously the NCT is so strict and thorough, that it didn't pass until all brake lines were replaced and one side of a sill was welded.

Pretty sure you can put a car through voluntarily though, even when it doesn't need a test. You might want to check that out.

• Advertisement

and if you did put it through in a year it didn't need testing and it failed on something trivial, it wouldn't need to be off the road as it would still have a valid cert.

Advertisement