Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Testing exemption for all vintage vehicles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Isambard wrote: »
    and if you did put it through in a year it didn't need testing and it failed on something trivial, it wouldn't need to be off the road as it would still have a valid cert.

That's the very reason I always try and put my cars through 3 months early. There is no problem scheduling any NCT early, so there really is not much of an excuse running out of NCT while waiting for a part or trying to sort an issue out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Dades wrote: »
    I would be thinking that too in your position!

Mine is due this month and considering I got penalty points last year for being out of date, I can't wait till May. :p

I wonder if it would work or would I just end up with a Feb 19 expiry date regardless :( Assuming I pass, that is... :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Tazio wrote: »
    My 81 passed a few weeks ago too..I've mixed feelings.... playing devil's advocate here but as a car nut I do see the benefits of some formal testing..(bring on the hate.. :) ).. 55quid for brake / suspension / structural integrity check is good value imo... maybe not every year.. but maybe on first registration or every say 2 to 4 years? It'll just keep owners on there toes and it's good to have a 2ns set of eyes....
    It is for the best that there is some formal testing, but for vintage cars they really need to move a bunch of stuff from the "fail" column into the "advisory" column.

I'm looking at you, "weak washer spray" and "rear fog light indicator lamp". It's that type of anal nit-picking that has people going NOPE and driving around with no test at all.

My car failed on corroded brake lines and structural weakness in one part of one sill - fair enough. Professionally fixed.

And indeed, the third thing it failed on "insufficient washer spray". My comment to the tester was: "really?" :rolleyes: Made it a little bit better myself by poking into the sprayer holes with a thick needle and twisting the tubes to turn their direction. It improved a bit and it passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Had my 85 in recently and immediately I got off to a bad rapport with the guy testing it. I mentioned out of love for my car that its a dog leg manual before he took the keys. Talk about looking at you as if you had forty heads, then asked was it petrol. My heart sank at that moment....

Four other cars passed through from start to finish in the time he took going over mine. Ive never seen a car in for test as long and I put three cars each year personally through let alone travel with mates cars too. I've since heard a couple of others had bad run ins with him. Just general attitude of laughing at ''my car is precious and not an tee diddly eye please look after it''

I wonder is there anything to be said for trained 'vintage' testers in each NCT centre? Lads with experience of older cars etc....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

My car failed the nct for a hairline crack in a rear brake light. I covered it with red electrical tape and twenty minutes later it passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

Have to agree with most of the comments here. My Monza just passed her second NCT which will now make her more appealing to potential buyers :) (will be sad to see her go)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,374 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Had my 85 in recently and immediately I got off to a bad rapport with the guy testing it. I mentioned out of love for my car that its a dog leg manual before he took the keys. Talk about looking at you as if you had forty heads, then asked was it petrol. My heart sank at that moment....

Four other cars passed through from start to finish in the time he took going over mine. Ive never seen a car in for test as long and I put three cars each year personally through let alone travel with mates cars too. I've since heard a couple of others had bad run ins with him. Just general attitude of laughing at ''my car is precious and not an tee diddly eye please look after it''

I wonder is there anything to be said for trained 'vintage' testers in each NCT centre? Lads with experience of older cars etc....

Hard to be sure when the vintage guy would be on when you are booking.

I'd recommend Sunday morning testing. More relaxed atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

^^ agreed with weekend testing. I've used Little Island in Cork and found the testers very careful and sympathetic to the cars idiosyncrasies... or lack of syncromesh! ;) they were happy for a 3 min chat before test to find out how the control's worked. I was also allowed to accompany car for part of test when cleared with supervisor. Just my experience..

A formal test for critical safety systems is good idea.. and advisories for the rest. I'd guess most classic cars see sunny Sunday spins not heavy motorway traffic on a winter's night..

Silvera wrote: »
    Have to agree with most of the comments here. My Monza just passed her second NCT which will now make her more appealing to potential buyers :) (will be sad to see her go)

I guess the new sweet spot to sell will be just on the 40 year mark with a string of NCT history.

• Advertisement

No such thing as relaxed / informal testing in Fonthill. The busiest NCT centre in the country by a long shot! The good thing is that it seems to be open from 7AM to 10PM 7 days a week or something like that. 6 lanes in continuous use (usually 2 cars in every lane at any given time). So booking in is easy.

unkel wrote: »
    No such thing as relaxed / informal testing in Fonthill. The busiest NCT centre in the country by a long shot! The good thing is that it seems to be open from 7AM to 10PM 7 days a week or something like that. 6 lanes in continuous use (usually 2 cars in every lane at any given time). So booking in is easy.

One of the testers in my local centre told me they had a guy in with a classic Porsche who booked in to them specifically to get away from Fonthill. Apparently he enjoyed the run down the country and the more personal service.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭tom petty

I have used the same test centre for 12 years now and have never had a tester that would engage with me , they are truly a sullen lot.
    When I took my E24 to them I very politely showed him that the bonnet catch has to be manually re engaged when closing and that it would not latch like other cars by dropping it from a height. He still managed to slam it with some force twice before I got to him and just stared at me with utter disregard for the damage he was about to inflict when I asked him wtf he was doing.........
    I absolutely despise them and hate trusting them with my cars.
    I would travel a great distance for a caring tester.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

earlier in the year my CVRT tester for my camper failed it because it wouldn't rev for the smoke test and the engine was knocking..... 2 litre pinto...rolleyes smilie (Tesco yellow pack version)....

elperello wrote: »
    One of the testers in my local centre told me they had a guy in with a classic Porsche who booked in to them specifically to get away from Fonthill. Apparently he enjoyed the run down the country and the more personal service.
    My classic Porsche just had torrid time at Fonthill. :( I'll be off elsewhere for the retest.

Once or twice I've had a decent tester who'd say something human or do something like test the handbrake a couple of times to pass it, but mostly they're a robotic bunch.

I wonder are they on quotas or something to catch a certain amount of things....

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    My BEAT normally gets a good reaction from most people but not the NCT crowd. Lots of grumbles and complaints despite the fact its fine. Lots of disgruntled/angry people in the NCT centres I visit...

They are not all bad.

A couple of years ago the day I had to go for the test it was pouring rain.
    I never usually take it out in the rain.
    When the guy testing was finished he came to the door and called me in.
    I thought oh **** it's failed.
    He smiled and handed me my pass cert and brought me out through the test lane where he had left it just inside the door.

Nice car, says he, take her straight home out of the rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gavman1

Cant really say ive had very bad experiences with testers although some of them are drunk with power but if a guy starts slamming my bonnet shut continuously im afraid thats vandalism not a safety check.i am very protective of my bmer and would prob get arrested it that were to happen to me.they just dont have the right to damage my car,dont care who they are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

tom petty wrote: »
    I have used the same test centre for 12 years now and have never had a tester that would engage with me , they are truly a sullen lot.
    When I took my E24 to them I very politely showed him that the bonnet catch has to be manually re engaged when closing and that it would not latch like other cars by dropping it from a height. He still managed to slam it with some force twice before I got to him and just stared at me with utter disregard for the damage he was about to inflict when I asked him wtf he was doing.........
    I absolutely despise them and hate trusting them with my cars.
    I would travel a great distance for a caring tester.

I've had a mixed bag. My Golf GTI brought a lot of positive comments from the testers (both on failure and the successful NCT), but my Mini years ago got abused and left damaged by an indignant *******.

Dades wrote: »
    I wonder are they on quotas or something to catch a certain amount of things....

I mostly can't fault the NCT test, but I have been getting the impression more than once that they are extremely "thorough" when it comes to nicer / older / more exotic cars.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Even when a car passes all the stringent computer checks, the tester is able to use the old

"visual refusal" stinger in the tail excuse to fail a perfectly roadworthy car, and get you to

comeback with more money.

I,ve never had a computer related failure on 5 family cars for over the last 10 years, doing yearly

tests.

Most recent " visual fail" was for a new suspension bush that had less than 2k miles on a laguna.

Axle slip test said it was 100%.

Nct is a money making scam, using laptop mechanics.

Some of my visual fails.......possible worn petrol filler cap seal.......number plate letter ink run......6mm hole in bottom

edge of rear wheel arch.

But in fairness i did test a car with a long split silencer in a seicento for devilment.....it passed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The last time my BEAT went through the tester went into and came out with a measuring tape and was checking the numbers height+width. It has square plates but standard font and sizes. He said he would let me pass this time, despite the fact the last two testers had no issues :rolleyes:

I don't know what a BEAT is...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

jca wrote: »
    I don't know what a BEAT is...

Baby Honda with sewing machine engine like a Suzuki Cappuccino. ;)

Some of the visual fails are ridiculous. I got failed once because the "Baile Atha Cliath" wasn't 100% visible. Annoying, but the nct don't make the rules. The government does (and are under the influence of gaeilge bullies)
    kadman wrote: »
    Nct is a money making scam

Not that old chestnut again. It's a lot of test for your €55
    using laptop mechanics.

All NCT testers are fully qualified mechanics

Some of the visual fails are ridiculous. I got failed once because the "Baile Atha Cliath" wasn't 100% visible. Annoying, but the nct don't make the rules. The government does (and are under the influence of gaeilge bullies)

Any system that has the fail safe method of visual refusal is open
    to abuse by the system that operates it, and i,ve been on the receiving end
    of that a few times for trivial stuff that has nothing to do with safety.

Yes they are qualified mechanics, but give me old school mechanics everytime. System operates with computer checking which is great, but
    as a last resort if the computer cant get you, then visual will.

3 cents chestnut:)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

Can anyone explain the bonus scheme for testers, is it for the number of retests that they get for the company ??.

PanhardPL wrote: »
    Can anyone explain the bonus scheme for testers, is it for the number of retests that they get for the company ??.
    I believe they get paid by the pound of rust flakes they manage to get off an undercarriage with a screwdriver.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Even when a car passes all the stringent computer checks, the tester is able to use the old

"visual refusal" stinger in the tail excuse to fail a perfectly roadworthy car, and get you to

comeback with more money.

What would you do with that money? Put it in the coffee machine?
    Visual retest is free.

What would you do with that money? Put it in the coffee machine?
    Visual retest is free.

You are wrong, a visual fail may not be free, if it requires test equipment.

Thats some cup of coffee for 22+ euro:p

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

You are wrong, a visual fail may not be free, if it requires test equipment.

No he is right, a visual retest is free.

A 'visual fail' as you put it, could be anything and could well require test equipment. Eg a headlight bulb is blown, which is noticed visually but will require a retest to ensure the new bulb is focused

• Advertisement

A visual fail for an item that may need equipment is charged, a visual fail that doesn,t need equipment

is free, correct.

Now for my coffee.

Advertisement