Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Testing exemption for all vintage vehicles

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The last time my BEAT went through the tester went into and came out with a measuring tape and was checking the numbers height+width. It has square plates but standard font and sizes. He said he would let me pass this time, despite the fact the last two testers had no issues :rolleyes:

I don't know what a BEAT is...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

jca wrote: »
    I don't know what a BEAT is...

Baby Honda with sewing machine engine like a Suzuki Cappuccino. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,717 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Some of the visual fails are ridiculous. I got failed once because the "Baile Atha Cliath" wasn't 100% visible. Annoying, but the nct don't make the rules. The government does (and are under the influence of gaeilge bullies)
    kadman wrote: »
    Nct is a money making scam

Not that old chestnut again. It's a lot of test for your €55
    using laptop mechanics.

All NCT testers are fully qualified mechanics

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

unkel wrote: »
    Some of the visual fails are ridiculous. I got failed once because the "Baile Atha Cliath" wasn't 100% visible. Annoying, but the nct don't make the rules. The government does (and are under the influence of gaeilge bullies)

Any system that has the fail safe method of visual refusal is open
    to abuse by the system that operates it, and i,ve been on the receiving end
    of that a few times for trivial stuff that has nothing to do with safety.

Yes they are qualified mechanics, but give me old school mechanics everytime. System operates with computer checking which is great, but
    as a last resort if the computer cant get you, then visual will.

3 cents chestnut:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

Can anyone explain the bonus scheme for testers, is it for the number of retests that they get for the company ??.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

PanhardPL wrote: »
    Can anyone explain the bonus scheme for testers, is it for the number of retests that they get for the company ??.
    I believe they get paid by the pound of rust flakes they manage to get off an undercarriage with a screwdriver.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Even when a car passes all the stringent computer checks, the tester is able to use the old

"visual refusal" stinger in the tail excuse to fail a perfectly roadworthy car, and get you to

comeback with more money.

What would you do with that money? Put it in the coffee machine?
    Visual retest is free.

What would you do with that money? Put it in the coffee machine?
    Visual retest is free.

You are wrong, a visual fail may not be free, if it requires test equipment.

Thats some cup of coffee for 22+ euro:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

You are wrong, a visual fail may not be free, if it requires test equipment.

No he is right, a visual retest is free.

A 'visual fail' as you put it, could be anything and could well require test equipment. Eg a headlight bulb is blown, which is noticed visually but will require a retest to ensure the new bulb is focused

• Advertisement

A visual fail for an item that may need equipment is charged, a visual fail that doesn,t need equipment

is free, correct.

Now for my coffee.

give me old school mechanics everytime.

Just like the MOT system in the UK? My car had just passed the MOT with no advisories. A few weeks later it failed the NCT on advanced corrosion of the brake lines (all of them!) and structural integrity on one side of one sill. 19 hours of welding later and all new brake lines, and it passed the NCT

Now I wasn't pleased I had to spend a good bit of money, but I'd rather have a thoroughly checked car than a dangerous one. And at €55 that was a lot of test for my money.

Just like the MOT system in the UK? My car had just passed the MOT with no advisories. A few weeks later it failed the NCT on advanced corrosion of the brake lines (all of them!) and structural integrity on one side of one sill. 19 hours of welding later and all new brake lines, and it passed the NCT

Now I wasn't pleased I had to spend a good bit of money, but I'd rather have a thoroughly checked car than a dangerous one. And at €55 that was a lot of test for my money.

True, good point.
    There are crap old school mechanics too:)

Luckily for me I,m just doing a new set of brakelines, connections,
    caliper rebuilds, plus a whole resto on a type 3 at the moment, and as i,m doing it myself, i wont be at the receiving end of a big bill.

But if you need the reassurance of a top to bottom test, then at 55 euro,
    NCT is cheap as chips.

But even with my full resto, and all new parts, my fasty could still fall foul of
    some numpty's visual fail refusal wand, despite the evidence of over 500 pics, if i chose to test it.........which of course I dont have to, so i wont.

Well done on the pass..:)

Always loved the looks of the fastback type 3, they used to be rare enough back when they were new on the continent (yes I'm old). There can't be more than a handful in Ireland surely?

Anyway, best of luck with your car!

On another note, maybe another thread,

I,m interested in type 3 currently for sale in Ireland, but on UK plates,

and its been here a lot longer than 30 days. Am I at risk of penalties if

I buy this and then try to register here after. What documentation would I need to make this a

hassle free task, if its possible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

55 quid would be cheap if they actually fixed any of the things they found, rather than poking large holes and handing you a expensive list. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭kja1888

PanhardPL wrote: »

The Bonus system is for the number of cars tested per hour, regardless of pass or fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

S.I. No. 519 of 2017.
    COMMERCIAL VEHICLE ROADWORTHINESS
    (VEHICLE TESTING) (AMENDMENT) (REVOCATION)
    REGULATIONS 2017.
    (This note is not part of the Instrument and does not purport to be a
    legal interpretation.)
    The purpose of these regulations is to revoke S.I. No. 413 of 2017
    which needs to be revoked for technical reasons.

Advertisement