Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Clan clean up/migrations/management

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,963 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If people are having such massive problems with Communites - please tell us what the solution is.

Tell us what platform will be easily accessible, offer in game notifications and allow all 200 members to interact in one place.

When this was discussed by admin - we went with easily accessible (PSN native app, mobile app) and all clan communication, along with the assumption that the app wouldn't be broken and thus notifications would be a consistent thing. Unfortunately the notifications are broken (they shouldn't be) but this is where we are now.

If you can't offer up a solution that meets all of those - what solution are you proposing, which of the criteria do you feel should be dropped to accomodate this solution, why do you think they should be dropped and what actions would you propose with this solution?

Someone, don't be all Brexit on this, pushing for us to leave communities with no viable alternative sorted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Beyond notifications - what are the issues that any other platform will solve, in your opinion?

Or, is notifications the only issue?

Well from what I am seeing the overall layout is a mess, I can't make out who is replying to who, so working out how many spots etc are left is hard to work out unless there is something I am completely missing with communities. I am not saying some other platform may solve it all on it owns hence the discussion.

As I said notifications is an issue for me, in the old chat I didnt have to come out of a game to see if people had spots as the message were appearing in the top corner of my screen and 1 simple button press was all that was needed to get in and reply.

The other night I put up a post for trials, culchannon replied but also sent me a message. I seen the message so that prompted me to open up the community and then I seen the other replies, if I didnt get the message directly I would have forgotten about the post and the lads could have gone off and done other things they needed in the game. I received no notification until 36 minutes after the reply (Notification came in on my phone app but still none on the console at all) and i only received one notification instead of 3. For new members to the clan this could be seen as the more experienced player not willing to help them out and ignoring them which is something I wouldn't like to see with such a great bunch of people in the clan as I know its not them ignoring players but instead maybe forgetting they posted etc and relying on notifications which arent working as intended. I want to see more members, not members leaving because of this issue if you get me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Someone, don't be all Brexit on this, pushing for us to leave communities with no viable alternative sorted.

This is already brexit we can't move forward we can't go backwards and its a mess.

Nobody has an actual solution.

The issue has been clearly stated by multiple people at this stage to be no notifications on new posts.
    So I don't know why the question of what's the issue is still being asked.

The real problem now is that a discussion has turned into a **** slinging match that no good can possibly come from.

Someone should nuke this thread now to be honest before people start to fall out. This is a case of sentiment not translating well in text and e eryone including me has been seeing insults and digs where there probably aren't intended.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If people are having such massive problems with Communites - please tell us what the solution is.

Tell us what platform will be easily accessible, offer in game notifications and allow all 200 members to interact in one place.

When this was discussed by admin - we went with easily accessible (PSN native app, mobile app) and all clan communication, along with the assumption that the app wouldn't be broken and thus notifications would be a consistent thing. Unfortunately the notifications are broken (they shouldn't be) but this is where we are now.

If you can't offer up a solution that meets all of those - what solution are you proposing, which of the criteria do you feel should be dropped to accomodate this solution, why do you think they should be dropped and what actions would you propose with this solution?

I dont think I have ever seen one person say to leave communites to be fair.

Maybe bring back large scale chat groups along side communities (I know figures wont allow everyone in because of the 100 limit) but what if there were specific Chats for activities, i.e: One for Trials/One for Quests etc. People could offer to help (For example Generic/Dude/Myself/Nev/Kanve/Conovar/whoever all say we will help out newer members with exotic quests, then we will be added into the group chat for exotic quests and the people that require help then get added, once they get their help they then leave the chat freeing up the space for others)
    Some of the clan may never want to raid so having them in the raid chat would be pointless etc.

Might be a non runner but it could make things alot more inclusive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The only other option I can think of is something like discord. Never used it, but would probably require a separate account etc, and I have no idea how easy it would be to manage. Would probably require everyone having to migrate over etc.

Not sure if my suggestion is all that helpful, but its an idea.

I am fine with communities, even if the notifications don't always work. I just make sure to check it a few times a day.

• Advertisement

wes wrote: »
    The only other option I can think of is something like discord. Never used it, but would probably require a separate account etc, and I have no idea how easy it would be to manage. Would probably require everyone having to migrate over etc.

Not sure if my suggestion is all that helpful, but its an idea.

I am fine with communities, even if the notifications don't always work. I just make sure to check it a few times a day.

I actually created a discord server for the boards clans - but was felt getting people to download an use an app not native to PSN was not going to work. You'd still have no ingame notifications, though mobile ones would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I actually created a discord server for the boards clans - but was felt getting people to download an use an app not native to PSN was not going to work. You'd still have no ingame notifications, though mobile ones would work.

Yeah, I think your right with that. Hopefully Sony, will fix the issue with the communities app, sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Personally (and it may be bias as I'm in said group) I've no issue with people sorting out groups outside of the app. Just the same happened when we used messages. It isn't a case of communities or nothing. It's a case of if people are short and are looking for someone to jump in, use communities (imo). If you want to run some strikes or a nf or pvp or something and have spots then fire ahead and use communities to offer up.

If you have a group of friends who you want to prioritize first I don't see any issue there, for anyone.

Missed this somehow.
    I've no issue either really, it was more of an observation is all.

I had understood it to be use the community app for everything, but the way you're explaining it makes much more sense, and works better considering how ****e the app is at present.

jcd5971 wrote: »
    This is already brexit we can't move forward we can't go backwards and its a mess.

Nobody has an actual solution.

The issue has been clearly stated by multiple people at this stage to be no notifications on new posts.
    So I don't know why the question of what's the issue is still being asked.
    1. Maybe it is a mess, but the reality is I don't think anyone could have predicted it:

We were promised (by Sony) better communities. When we made the jump we were moving to something we assumed:
    (a) would cater for an unlimited number (check) - Messages limited to half the current clan.
    (b) Show replies to messages (check). Incidently, Messages doesn't surface specific replies. Communities links replies and shows you who is speaking to whom.
    (c) Have in game and mobile notifications (broken).
    Notifications are SUPPOSED to be working - that they aren't is a bug, not a feature of the app we figured would be unneeded.
    (d) Has an Event feature to create specific events, with an automated party and check in feature.(check) - and if this was used more I think the notification issues would be somewhat pushed back. Want to do trials? Create an Event. Want to join that Trials run? Join the event.

2. I guess my issue with notifications is I just don't understand why people are so hung up on them. I got utterly fed up with the notifications pinging and obsuring my screen every 30 seconds in D1, or vibrating my phone all day. So i turned them off and have been using messages in the same way as communities (having to refresh) for 2 years. If communities did have notifications I would probably only have them on for replies (and be annoyed they don't work). As it is (and was) I get notification of game invites and party invites, thats it. I would have to admit that my lack of care for notifications would contribute massively to why i can't understand why they are such a massive red line issue and seen as an absolute blocker to being used at all. When having non-all-inclusive chats or non-console solutions are considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

People did predict it though, which is why some were quite reluctant to leave the message group. I left it knowing full well that notifications weren't working for me, either on the PS4 itself or my devices.

Even if you manually refresh and check for posts every 15 minutes it's super easy to miss out on getting a spot in a NF or PvP without notifications

• Advertisement

jonnycivic wrote: »
    I dont think I have ever seen one person say to leave communites to be fair.

Maybe bring back large scale chat groups along side communities (I know figures wont allow everyone in because of the 100 limit) but what if there were specific Chats for activities, i.e: One for Trials/One for Quests etc. People could offer to help (For example Generic/Dude/Myself/Nev/Kanve/Conovar/whoever all say we will help out newer members with exotic quests, then we will be added into the group chat for exotic quests and the people that require help then get added, once they get their help they then leave the chat freeing up the space for others)
    Some of the clan may never want to raid so having them in the raid chat would be pointless etc.

Might be a non runner but it could make things alot more inclusive too.
    We had multiple chats before, and activity specific ones too iirc (certainly was a PVP one) and I don't think they worked, and were horrible to admin. Working out who 'deserved' to be where when more than 100 people wanted in was painful.

Another massive issue with chats (imo) is if someone is a dick or isn't active in the chat you can't kick them. So you end up with ( as we did a few times) 100 people in a chat and only 60 (or less) actually using it. The only way to drop the 40 and allow 40 new people in was to nuke the chat completely, create a new and manually invite the 100 'new' people. We had times were we had 80 people and one numptie invited a bunch of their non-clan mates and started throwing abuse around - couldn't do anything but nuke it all and start again. With communities if someone is a dick, ban them. someone isn't active, kick them. So much easier for the admin to manage and moderate (which should be some level of consideration, imo).

For the record - I pushed for Discord as our 'solution', but was voted down!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

For the record - I pushed for Discord as our 'solution', but was voted down!

Discord is excellent for PC based gaming but ultimately for a console based experience.....I can't see the point? It's just another piece of software that not everyone will get, further fracturing the community more.

I've read this entire thread and can tell there are people upset at being left out. I've felt that before so I can understand the stuff going on here. But the game is new and there are new people here to play with.

Honestly lads, between posts on Boards, Communities, the clan tab in-game and finally your friends list.......there is a ton of ways to get stuff going.

If you don't know some of the lads, just say hello. I knew nobody two weeks ago but have grouped, raided and done strikes/public events with loads of people that I feel I know fairly well now. I did this by messaging them or just straight up showing up in their party. :D

Yeah, it can be awkward at first but sure we are all Irish, fairly nerdy and playing the same game........so we have common ground right from the start.

If Im online, please message me if you don't have anyone else around you know and are tired of being solo. Or just join the group I'm chatting with. It can be as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Kirby wrote: »
    I've read this entire thread and can tell there are people upset at being left out. I've felt that before so I can understand the stuff going on here. But the game is new and there are new people here to play with.

Anyone being left out is on a self imposed exile. Problems with notifications are widely known. So if you're are using the community for say a raid team. Is it too much to ask you to spend a couple of minutes refreshing the app and then sending out of few pms to your regulars. Or even scroll down the messages and see if anyone else asked for a raid team.

Anyway Events are the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Anyone being left out is on a self imposed exile. Problems with notifications are widely known. So if you're are using the community for say a raid team. Is it too much to ask you to spend a couple of minutes refreshing the app and then sending out of few pms to your regulars. Or even scroll down the messages and see if anyone else asked for a raid team.

Anyway Events are the way to go.

If only we could set up events in the mobile app.

If only we could set up events in the mobile app.

We can setup events in the app tho?

We can setup events in the app tho?

Can we? Haven't found anywhere on the mobile version to set them up.

Can we? Haven't found anywhere on the mobile version to set them up.

When you open the main PS app there is an events tab (Looks like a little calender) and you can do it in there. Not sure if there is a community version of it tho.

When you open the main PS app there is an events tab (Looks like a little calender) and you can do it in there. Not sure if there is a community version of it tho.

Yes, your right. Just tried it there, but can't create the event for a specific Community. Can only do it for Message Groups (RIP) or select individuals.

Yes, your right. Just tried it there, but can't create the event for a specific Community. Can only do it for Message Groups (RIP) or select individuals.

Its almost like sony have no idea what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

I messaged PlayStation Ireland on Facebook. Long story short the reply was the customer care number/email.

• Advertisement

Its almost like sony have no idea what they are doing.

Agreed. They have good to great ideas, but poor to pi55 poor implementation of said ideas.

I messaged PlayStation Ireland on Facebook. Long story short the reply was the customer care number/email.

I twitter'd them, no response. :(

Rather than continue to snipe ( i still strongly dislike communities but that argument is over now so time to move on) I looked into a lot of topics on Sony forum last few days.

Apparently communities notifications got intentionally muted in 4.70 as before that people continued to get notifications even after leaving a community.

Lots of feedback and apparently a few efforts by Sony to fix but just none worked which is why they work the way they work now.

Out clan is just in an odd place

Two small for community and too big for messages.

Gonna keep looking for a workaround though

Edit
    Stupid phone auto correct.

There was someone the other day that created an event for the community, not sure if they done it on the app or on the ps4 but maybe give them a shout and ask. Having no phone in work is a pain in the hole cos I cant look through any of it now :(

There was someone the other day that created an event for the community, not sure if they done it on the app or on the ps4 but maybe give them a shout and ask. Having no phone in work is a pain in the hole cos I cant look through any of it now :(

It can be done from within the community on the console. Just not on the mobile app's.

It can be done from within the community on the console. Just not on the mobile app's.

Thats shocking bad. Whoever is over the whole communities thing in Sony should be fired or shot, whichever is handier :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

no phone in work...?

are you working in North Korea???

jonnycivic wrote:
    Thats shocking bad. Whoever is over the whole communities thing in Sony should be fired or shot, whichever is handier

Why choose, fire him then shoot him.

SeanHarty wrote:

Long live Kim Jungny un-civic

• Advertisement

SeanHarty wrote: »
    no phone in work...?

Jonny is a "Protectionist Civil Servant" for the North Korean Kim Dynasty. The Civic family have been closely linked to the Kim family for generations. Some suspect than the Civic Family are the true rulers of NK, but to utter such in public is a Fistable offence.

giphy.gif

Advertisement