Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to eat in Thurles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bert n ernie

macjohn wrote: »
    Food is nice - Outside early bird the bill can be steep enough tho!!!

Still does amazingly well - funny that no where else can seem to do similar-ish style at a little less €€€

Parkers in Holycross is much better value but a decent taxi ride out of thurles

Definitely agree, i stick to the earlybird, though there seem to be more and more supplement items sneaking in there too.

I live in Holycross, Parkers is good value, i have found the food a bit hit and miss, seems to be better on a busy night, they nearly clean around your table while you're eating if they're quiet and want to close early.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

they nearly clean around your table while you're eating if they're quiet and want to close early.

That happened to us one night. We were made to feel really uncomfortable and finished without even ordering coffee.
    It was just gone 9:30pm, if I remember, and have only been back there at the invitation of friends for a celebration. Otherwise would not return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

Went to Parkers for my birthday in January. Badly disimproved, food poor, service awful, 3 or 4 under 6's charging around the restaurant while their parents ignored them at 8pm.
    No thanks. The Anner was much nicer, if quite expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

Anyone know if its the same chef or new people?

Macjohn I expect they are totally new...food is much better than before, hopefully they will keep it up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Definitely agree, i stick to the earlybird, though there seem to be more and more supplement items sneaking in there too.

I live in Holycross, Parkers is good value, i have found the food a bit hit and miss, seems to be better on a busy night, they nearly clean around your table while you're eating if they're quiet and want to close early.
    I have visions now of you lifting your half eaten plate while one waiter takes the table cloth out from under it while another is standing there winding his alarm clock in front of you yawningbiggrin.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

mikep wrote: »
    Indian Dreams at Shimla opened recently, better than Star of India in our opinion. We've had 2 takeaways from there recently..It's really good!! Best Indian we have had in a while..

I can also confirm, I think Ginos have the best chips in town...haven't tried pasta there yet..
    Not from Thurles but have been to Shimla on Friar st a good few times for the Sunday buffet with two adults and four kids and often got out for €45 and great food!!

I thought Shimla had closed down there or has it reopened in the same place with the same people,and the Sunday buffet?

tipptom wrote: »
    I thought Shimla had closed down there or has it reopened in the same place with the same people,and the Sunday buffet?

Shimla is gone a long time. A new indian has opened in that location.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Went to Parkers for my birthday in January. Badly disimproved, food poor, service awful, 3 or 4 under 6's charging around the restaurant while their parents ignored them at 8pm.
    No thanks. The Anner was much nicer, if quite expensive

Ate at Parkers at Christmas and it was excellent, same as the previous time I was there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

Macjohn I expect they are totally new...food is much better than before, hopefully they will keep it up!!

Guy in the Arch Bar on Saturday "reckoned" it was the same chef and some of the old staff but a new gaffer!

Reckoned = ie I have no idea if it was fact or just his "pub opinion" (pub opinion = the inability to ever say "I dont no" but rather always give an answer and then stick to it as if it gospel!!) :-)

Hi all
    I had to post again about Indian Dreams at Shimla..we had our third takeaway since they opened from there this weekend, the food there is just brilliant, far better than the other Indian restaurants in town.
    They are definitely new operators and not the same as previous.

On another note Ginos pizzas are great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

Got down about 9.30 Sat night and rang on the way for a takeaway from Indian Dreams at Shimla -
    looked like we were only customers when went to collect - on a bk Saturday night!!!

Food was grand, but just standard indian.
    Would go again but I imagine it needs to be way busier to survive.

Has anyone eaten in Skehans pub since it opened for food?

Got down about 9.30 Sat night and rang on the way for a takeaway from Indian Dreams at Shimla -
    looked like we were only customers when went to collect - on a bk Saturday night!!!

Food was grand, but just standard indian.
    Would go again but I imagine it needs to be way busier to survive
    Macjohn, we got another take away from there on saturday...Place was empty and no takeaway activity so I agree that they need to get busier to survive.
    i still think it is the best in town though, although we have only tried mains that the other places don't have so haven't tried their versions of the usual dishes.
    I'd be disappointed if they fail!

Has anyone eaten in Skehans pub since it opened for food?

Answering my own question here!
    Hubby and myself headed int Skehans last Thursday PM about 3pm
    Total chaos
    Front of house guy, one waitress (check out Victoria Wood "2 Soups" on YouTube ) the owner (wandering around looking stressed about as useful as a chocolate teapot)
    One elderly lady , dining alone
    A man , a girl and a baby
    A woman with 2 children under 10
    They were all already eating
    Front of house guy doubling as a barman totally over doing it. "Well lads come in lads sit down lads do ye want a menu weather lovely lads"
    We didn't want a menu we had looked at the menu before we left, we ordered 2 steak sandwiches chips and salad and a pitcher of miwadi
    He asks the "waitress" to get the miwadi and continues his manic stalking around the occupied tables "everything all right lads can I get ye anything lads..."
    He's already annoying the ****e out of me
    The lukewarm water slightly coloured by miwadi arrives eventually at our table and I'm so thirsty I start to drink it but hubby calls manic guy to point out that the water pitcher and glasses are all warm
    "Sorry lads Jesus lads I'll get ye ice lads"
    Hubby asks him to just take it away and bring cold water, we didn't want any ice
    He brings back the pitcher now mostly ice
    Just leave it.
    1/2 hour passes all the other diners have left no one else has come in but there's no sign of our steak sandwiches
    Manic guy is at the bar furiously slicing lemons with a blunt knife
    Waitress is clearing tables one plate at a time
    Owner wandering around with a clipboard furrowing his brow and chewing the top of his pen
    40 minutes. Manic guy says "shouldn't be too much longer lads steaks had to be cooked to order" ( no **** Sherlock )
    It was only wen another until then unseen waitress suddenly appeared and asked us if we were waiting for menus that I got up to leave.
    My reaction sent her scurrying into the kitchen to return within seconds with our food which was very nice.
    Manic guy " sorry lads is everything ok lads €27 lads"
    Nice food terrible service won't be going back

Answering my own question here!
    Hubby and myself headed int Skehans last Thursday PM about 3pm
    Total chaos
    Front of house guy, one waitress (check out Victoria Wood "2 Soups" on YouTube ) the owner (wandering around looking stressed about as useful as a chocolate teapot)
    One elderly lady , dining alone
    A man , a girl and a baby
    A woman with 2 children under 10
    They were all already eating
    Front of house guy doubling as a barman totally over doing it. "Well lads come in lads sit down lads do ye want a menu weather lovely lads"
    We didn't want a menu we had looked at the menu before we left, we ordered 2 steak sandwiches chips and salad and a pitcher of miwadi
    He asks the "waitress" to get the miwadi and continues his manic stalking around the occupied tables "everything all right lads can I get ye anything lads..."
    He's already annoying the ****e out of me
    The lukewarm water slightly coloured by miwadi arrives eventually at our table and I'm so thirsty I start to drink it but hubby calls manic guy to point out that the water pitcher and glasses are all warm
    "Sorry lads Jesus lads I'll get ye ice lads"
    Hubby asks him to just take it away and bring cold water, we didn't want any ice
    He brings back the pitcher now mostly ice
    Just leave it.
    1/2 hour passes all the other diners have left no one else has come in but there's no sign of our steak sandwiches
    Manic guy is at the bar furiously slicing lemons with a blunt knife
    Waitress is clearing tables one plate at a time
    Owner wandering around with a clipboard furrowing his brow and chewing the top of his pen
    40 minutes. Manic guy says "shouldn't be too much longer lads steaks had to be cooked to order" ( no **** Sherlock )
    It was only wen another until then unseen waitress suddenly appeared and asked us if we were waiting for menus that I got up to leave.
    My reaction sent her scurrying into the kitchen to return within seconds with our food which was very nice.
    Manic guy " sorry lads is everything ok lads €27 lads"
    Nice food terrible service won't be going back

Disappointing to hear.

Sounds like an example of someone who is enthusiastic but hasn't taken the time to learn the trade elsewhere.

Have they space for many tables?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ruad

@macjohn plenty of tables when I was in. I see they have the function room up and runing now too

Disappointing to hear.

Sounds like an example of someone who is enthusiastic but hasn't taken the time to learn the trade elsewhere.

Have they space for many tables?

Agreed. Definitely a case of "Let's open for food! Sure what can go wrong? All you need is a chef and a waitress!"

Agreed. Definitely a case of "Let's open for food! Sure what can go wrong? All you need is a chef and a waitress!"

Hopefully they get on top of it. Central location and the town needs such a place for evening/early evening food.

(maybe the thread could be used/taken by some posters as feedback for them ;) )

Hopefully they get on top of it. Central location and the town needs such a place for evening/early evening food.

(maybe the thread could be used/taken by some posters as feedback for them ;) )

A friend of mine went in on her lunch hour ( 1-2) and was served very promptly so we possibly went in on a bad day.
    The chicken curry 1/2 rice 1/2 chips she had was identical to one she'd had many times in The Tara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Was in there recently myself, couldn't fault the food or service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭shmeee

Dolbert wrote: »
    Was in there recently myself, couldn't fault the food or service.

In Skehans twice recently, and no complains. Good food and service. Will return.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

Anyone been to the new Apache?

Was in Runner Bean - lovely brunch menu.
    Also now doing croque monsieur & croque madame - great hangover stuff!

Nice evening grub out in O'Gormans (at the cross roads after Holycross)
    Would like to have seen better cloths cleaning the tables and regular changing of cloths

Anyone know when the Indian in the Park Ave closed??
    We only ate there once and weren't too impressed but there is no only 1 left in town..thankfully it's a good one!!

Anyone know when the Indian in the Park Ave closed??
    We only ate there once and weren't too impressed but there is no only 1 left in town..thankfully it's a good one!!

Closed a month ago now.

The building was sold so the lads had to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JMLB94

There are two indian restaurants in Thurles, one on Friar St (near the Star Office) and one on the Mall towards Dunnes Stores. Or is the one on Friar St. closed??

Runnerbean is a great auld spot in fairness, great home made grub and best coffee in town. They've also just opened up the Kiosk in the Railway Station, happy days for all commuters I would imagine. Best of luck to them.

A new Thai restaurant is opening in the spot beside Scoil Ailbhe..how long will this one last, I've lost count for the number of places that have opened and closed there..

A new Thai restaurant is opening in the spot beside Scoil Ailbhe..how long will this one last, I've lost count for the number of places that have opened and closed there..

The crowd taking it over know their stuff and doing a good job renovating it.

They will push it very hard and try and impress.

Opening in Thurles now since 2 Indians closed recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bert n ernie

shmeee wrote: »
    The crowd taking it over know their stuff and doing a good job renovating it.

They will push it very hard and try and impress.

Opening in Thurles now since 2 Indians closed recently.
    Hopefully its proper Thai food, sick of the same chinese offerings.

Hi shmee
    Have they restaurants somewhere else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 JMLB94

The guy that owns the building knows nothing about Thai cuisine so I presume he's bringing in people that do?

Advertisement