Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to eat in Thurles

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

digzy wrote: »
    I know it's off topic, but I stayed there last February. 'Twas an experience! I'd take the advice given about restaurants given already. It's some hole.
    the hotel is a kip?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

xXxkorixXx wrote: »
    the hotel is a kip?

Sorry now but it's woeful. The dust, ancient bedroom furniture etc...
    The coup de grace being the "leisure centre' with the Lino peeling back off the wall and the mould growing behind it. My wife was pregnant at the time and I felt awful for dragging us there.

Make sure you're up early for breakfast cos they can't cater for the crowd that usually appear around 930!

Par kings free though:D

digzy wrote: »
    Sorry now but it's woeful. The dust, ancient bedroom furniture etc...
    The coup de grace being the "leisure centre' with the Lino peeling back off the wall and the mould growing behind it. My wife was pregnant at the time and I felt awful for dragging us there.

Make sure you're up early for breakfast cos they can't cater for the crowd that usually appear around 930!

Par kings free though:D
    it looks nice on the website, im thinking of cancelling now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

it looks nice on the website, im thinking of cancelling now

Maybe this will give you a better idea, loads of (mixed) reviews here.
    http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g319786-d659721-Reviews-Anner_Hotel-Thurles_County_Tipperary.html

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

You could always cancel your booking there and book the Horse & Jockey Hotel

It's not too far from Thurles and will cost you about €10 in a taxi to get to Thurles for your Indian.

It'd be a far better quality place than The Anner (yeah The Anner is a dump, the previous owner seemed to syphon off as much money as possible from the place and really let it go down big-time before NAMA got the job of trying to make the place survive)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

could also try Inch House on the opposite side of thurles a few miles out the Nenagh rd. fab restaurant there too

Cerbera wrote: »
    You could always cancel your booking there and book the Horse & Jockey Hotel

It's not too far from Thurles and will cost you about €10 in a taxi to get to Thurles for your Indian.

It'd be a far better quality place than The Anner (yeah The Anner is a dump, the previous owner seemed to syphon off as much money as possible from the place and really let it go down big-time before NAMA got the job of trying to make the place survive)

pitty the anner was let go down. Thurles would do with a decent hotel in the town. Its in a good location plenty of parking, between matches and the events in the colleges if ran right could get decent enough business. Templemore Arms is able to keep decent rooms in a town where feck all is going on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Hi, me and my hubby will be in thurles for a few days the second week of november, can anyone recommend a good indian? thnaks

Shimla is one of the best indians in Ireland imo

Early bird is great value too!

cancelled the anner and booked the horse and jockey hotel, that looks lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭anmhi02

Ahhh the horse and jockey is lovely....enjoy....you made the right decision there :-)

• Advertisement

anmhi02 wrote: »
    Ahhh the horse and jockey is lovely....enjoy....you made the right decision there :-)
    yeah it looks lovely on the site, the hubby booked one of the superior rooms so he must be planning on spoiling me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Pacifico wrote: »
    Shimla is one of the best indians in Ireland imo

Early bird is great value too!
    OK,heading to Shimla in about an hour for the buffet for 2 adults and 4 tinys,been there a couple of years ago and it was nice.

Think someone mentioned another Indian in Thurles,should I stick with what I know,dont get out for meals much with the size of our entourage so want to get it fairly right!!!

Whils strictly not in Thurles, or even Tipp for that matter, but every bit as quick to get to as Inch House, the Horse & Jockey or the Whichway Inn, a group of went to Da Enzo's in Urlingford over the weekend and we were absolutely amazed at how good it was compared to the Puccinis Italian in the old Park Avenue

The staff were friendlier, the service was way faster, the portions were way bigger, the food was absolutely fabulous and the prices appeared to be marginally cheaper

The comment on the night from one of the group that really summed it up was "what a pity they didn't open this place in Thurles"

For the sake of a 10 minute spin we'll definitely make the journey to Urlingford rather than head back to Puccinis

Oh and in case it's not obvious from the above, we were all well impressed with Da Enzo's :)

Whils strictly not in Thurles, or even Tipp for that matter, but every bit as quick to get to as Inch House, the Horse & Jockey or the Whichway Inn, a group of went to Da Enzo's in Urlingford over the weekend and we were absolutely amazed at how good it was compared to the Puccinis Italian in the old Park Avenue

The staff were friendlier, the service was way faster, the portions were way bigger, the food was absolutely fabulous and the prices appeared to be marginally cheaper

The comment on the night from one of the group that really summed it up was "what a pity they didn't open this place in Thurles"

For the sake of a 10 minute spin we'll definitely make the journey to Urlingford rather than head back to Puccinis

Oh and in case it's not obvious from the above, we were all well impressed with Da Enzo's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

18 of us ate in Puccinis last night. Overall the group were happy and all regarded the food as very good, this was from a group with several people with very high standards!! Myself and my wife both had pasta which were very good. The pizzas looked great. They have an interesting wine list and our €21 house red was delicious.
    Only drawback was that the front of house guy doesn't know how to work the till so in order to split the bill each person paying had to add up their items and pay...odd but not enough to discourage us from going back. Great to have an alternative in the town.
    It has to be said that they have done a great job on the decor!

mikep wrote: »
    18 of us ate in Puccinis last night. Overall the group were happy and all regarded the food as very good, this was from a group with several people with very high standards!! Myself and my wife both had pasta which were very good. The pizzas looked great. They have an interesting wine list and our €21 house red was delicious.
    Only drawback was that the front of house guy doesn't know how to work the till so in order to split the bill each person paying had to add up their items and pay...odd but not enough to discourage us from going back. Great to have an alternative in the town.
    It has to be said that they have done a great job on the decor!

ive heard mixed reviews on the place. heard the pizzas are fab and you can get them to take away but that something if eating in the tables are a bit too close if a crowd is there. the town badly needed an alternative to chinesse or indian

Had a fantastic time. the horse and jockey was lovely and the people in thurles were so friendly. my hubby made the arch bar his own cause he liked the guinness so much.
    We ate in Shimla, it was very nice but the mushroom bhaji wasnt the best. thanks for all the tips and info on the area. we will return

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Had a fantastic time. the horse and jockey was lovely and the people in thurles were so friendly. my hubby made the arch bar his own cause he liked the guinness so much.
    We ate in Shimla, it was very nice but the mushroom bhaji wasnt the best. thanks for all the tips and info on the area. we will return

Horse & Jockey is a fine hotel for sure.

ive heard mixed reviews on the place. heard the pizzas are fab and you can get them to take away but that something if eating in the tables are a bit too close if a crowd is there. the town badly needed an alternative to chinesse or indian

I didn't find the tables too close together at all..

Anyone heard any reports form Gino's?? If the food any good there??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

mikep wrote: »
    Anyone heard any reports form Gino's?? If the food any good there??

Eh it's all right. Chips aren't the best. They taste like they are cooked in the same oil that fish is cooked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Eh it's all right. Chips aren't the best. They taste like they are cooked in the same oil that fish is cooked in.
    Fishy chips mmmmmmmm!

Anyone know what's moving into the cursed restaurant aka the bridge cafe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

I have a feeling its non catering. I don't know why I think that. Its hopeless with no parking anywhere near. Best if luck to whoever or whatever it is.

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    I have a feeling its non catering. I don't know why I think that. Its hopeless with no parking anywhere near. Best if luck to whoever or whatever it is.

Well there is a notice in the window saying new restaurant opening soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Well there is a notice in the window saying new restaurant opening soon

Oh I didn't see that. Oh good luck to them, they'll need it. The Libertea Rooms in the Sq is doing a bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Yeah.

The history that I'm aware of:

Sous le Vent
    Buon Giorno
    New Street
    Le Frene
    The Bridge Cafe
    .... coming soon...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

jprboy wrote: »
    Yeah.

Sous le Vent
    Buon Giorno
    New Street
    Le Frene
    The Bridge Cafe
    .... coming soon...?

The mother and father used to rent that place and we had it for 4 years 03- 07 i think it was the longest place to last in there.

Its crazy that 6 places in 7 years have been in it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭anmhi02

jprboy wrote: »
    Yeah.

Sous le Vent
    Buon Giorno
    New Street
    Le Frene
    The Bridge Cafe
    .... coming soon...?

Sous Le vent was gorgeous, shame it didn't last

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 JMLB94

It's going to be a Chinese, The Crystal Palace!!!

Advertisement