Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Footballer of the Year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

kilns wrote: »
    As a Dubs fan, Andy Moran for carrying a whole team on his shoulders should get it. Without him Mayo would have been no where near the final. If her retires they wont be back in a final for a long time

Deserves it for being the best player this year.

As for picking out one player, where would Dublin be without cluxton? Donegal without murphy? Kerry without Donaghy? Tyrone without Cavanagh? That applies for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

As a Dubs fan, Andy Moran for carrying a whole team on his shoulders should get it.  Without him Mayo would have been no where near the final.  If her retires they wont be back in a final for a long time

I don't agree. Andy had a stellar year but Mayo got to the final last year and Andy didn't stand out then.

I don't think he'll retire but when he does he can be replaced. Jason Doherty has had a great year. Another year and young Conor Loftus will be pushing for a place too. Diarmuid O'Connor is still improving. Mayo aren't done yet.

I'd argue Kerry did the same or even better, to the extent that Cluxton cracked and put 2 or 3 over sidelines etc. It's not a player failing though, it's a sytem failure.
    Dublin's mistake in this final was that they thought Fenton would be able to compete with Parsons and O'Shea in fielding. McCarthy had a great game in all facets but Fenton has had a bad year and very poor final.

The thing with mayo was a lot more sustained. Like you could argue that cluxton was off when he was hitting them out over the sideline and side-footing them to Kerry players - at the time it was labelled a cluxton meltdown, which tells it's own story. Mayo seemed to be getting to them, even when he was kicking them well, which would indicate a cracking of the kickout itself, rather than the man making mistakes.

Re fenton, there was far more to it than that. Every time the ball was going long, mayo had 3-4 guys closing on the target on the ground, and another guy jumping with him. Also, McCarthy was beaten on kickouts just as much as fenton in the first half, so it cant be all fenton's fault...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The thing with mayo was a lot more sustained. Like you could argue that cluxton was off when he was hitting them out over the sideline and side-footing them to Kerry players - at the time it was labelled a cluxton meltdown, which tells it's own story. Mayo seemed to be getting to them, even when he was kicking them well, which would indicate a cracking of the kickout itself, rather than the man making mistakes.

Re fenton, there was far more to it than that. Every time the ball was going long, mayo had 3-4 guys closing on the target on the ground, and another guy jumping with him. Also, McCarthy was beaten on kickouts just as much as fenton in the first half, so it cant be all fenton's fault...

Mayo did to Dublin exactly what Dublin had been doing to teams all year. I have no clue what Dublin's plan was

It was very impressive. Thought Parsons in particular had a great game

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

I think he just went old-fashioned when Mayo pressed up, thinking Fenton would be able for the lads. Most of them were broke but Dublin didn't really have anyone like McLoughlin/Dooher/Galvin to win that dirty ball. The Mayo half-back and half-forward lines thrive on that.
    It's true that McCarthy didn't win them in the first half but he wasn't there as the "jumping midfielder", which would be Fenton's role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Yep Parsons was brilliant, should be an allstar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

As a Dubs fan, Andy Moran for carrying a whole team on his shoulders should get it.  Without him Mayo would have been no where near the final.  If her retires they wont be back in a final for a long time

Deserves it for being the best player this year.

As for picking out one player, where would Dublin be without cluxton? Donegal without murphy? Kerry without Donaghy? Tyrone without Cavanagh? That applies for everyone.
    Dublin would cope as they are a strong unit, Mayo would not cope without Moran.  None of their other forwards are up to his standard

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

11/11, because he had to go short, due to his long kicks being so poor in the first half. Decent save alright, although the finish was disappointing. He was really bad in the first half, but he readjusted, still, to say he ahd a good game is a bit much

Clarke miscued his last kick, fair enough. McCarthy done well to get under the other one though. He read the run. His kickouts in general were superior to cluxtons on the whole. The man deserves great credit for that, considering last year.

One thing I will say, the mayo management deserve serious credit - they found a way to turn cluxtons kickouts on their head. Nobody has managed this before - ever. Jim McGuinness and these guys would want to remember that before they start chirping in the paper...

Amazing post. How you can agree that Cluxton went 11/11 in the second half but then say that the Mayo management turned Cluxton's kickouts on their head!!! If the Mayo management strategy was so good, how come Cluxton went 11/11 and Dublin won? It is bizarre to suggest Mayo won that battle.

Yes, Mayo came out with a strategy to stop Cluxton's kickouts and it had some success in the first half, he lost six kickouts (just six)!! In the second half, Cluxton responded and boy did he respond, with a perfect 11/11. Dublin won the second half by two points.

It was sad to see Clarke's brainfreeze at the end, his last two kickouts cost Mayo the game just as O'Connor's missed free cost them a win. As someone else said, it is the clutch kicks that count. Cluxton has made those clutch kicks time and again since 2011 (especially in 2011 when his kick won the All-Ireland). To me, that ability to deliver under real pressure, to make history, is what sets Cluxton (and Rock) apart and was the difference last Sunday. In every other facet of play - tackling, passing, cynical challenges, point-taking, goalkeeping, etc. - Mayo matched Dublin but in the end as I said before the semi-final (you can look up the post), you always expect Clarke to misplace a vital kick-out or O'Connor to miss a vital free, and so it turned out on Sunday.

Kerry scored 1-2 without reply or something like that from the pressure on Cluxton's kickouts over a short period, Mayo never managed that on Sunday. Yes, Mayo had a system prepared, but it only had them breaking even in the first half as evidence by a one-point lead. By the second half, a tactical adjustment and a change in personnel to implement the tactical adjustment meant that Mayo never got near another Cluxton kickout. A tribute both to Gavin and his players that they could so comprehensively react to Mayo's tactics during the match and turn the game completely on its head.

I think he just went old-fashioned when Mayo pressed up, thinking Fenton would be able for the lads. Most of them were broke but Dublin didn't really have anyone like McLoughlin/Dooher/Galvin to win that dirty ball. The Mayo half-back and half-forward lines thrive on that.
    It's true that McCarthy didn't win them in the first half but he wasn't there as the "jumping midfielder", which would be Fenton's role.

I think that the O'Gara selection was linked to Cluxton's decision to go long. Early high ball to O'Gara from midfield to feed runners like Mannion and O'Callaghan was the idea. Once the change to going short, they wanted McMenamin for his ability to run at defences, hence the change at half-time. The tactical flexibility displayed by Dublin is awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BandMember

Andy Moran.

Any other result is an absolute joke.

With 70 minutes on the clock, Chris Barrett had the MOTM award in his back pocket but because Dublin win the match, James McCarthy is the MOTM and suddenly a candidate for POTY?? Sorry, but that's just farcical!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

blanch152 wrote: »
    I think that the O'Gara selection was linked to Cluxton's decision to go long. Early high ball to O'Gara from midfield to feed runners like Mannion and O'Callaghan was the idea. Once the change to going short, they wanted McMenamin for his ability to run at defences, hence the change at half-time. The tactical flexibility displayed by Dublin is awesome.

Bullsh*t.

Starting O'Gara was a massive mistake and threw their entire game plan into disarray. McManamon came on far earlier than normally expected and had minimal impact.

Its laughable the way posters like you dress up Dublin mistakes. Gavin made a b*lls of the starting selection by including O'Gara and it almost cost Dublin an AI. The guy is human afterall and not the robot people think he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

McManamon came on far earlier than normally expected and had minimal impact.

Absolutely baffled.

Buer wrote: »
    Absolutely baffled.

By what exactly?

Do you agree starting O'Gara was a disaster and threw the Dublin game plan into disarray?

How anyone can portray that as tactically awesome is beyond me.

If one or two things went Mayo's way and they won, Gavin would be criticised for the O'Gara move. A kick of the ball the other way and he's a genius.

It doesn't work that way.

Bullsh*t.

Starting O'Gara was a massive mistake and threw their entire game plan into disarray. McManamon came on far earlier than normally expected and had minimal impact.

Its laughable the way posters like you dress up Dublin mistakes. Gavin made a b*lls of the starting selection by including O'Gara and it almost cost Dublin an AI. The guy is human afterall and not the robot people think he is.

Nobody disputes that the Dublin starting selection didn't work because Mayo's set-up negated it (to the extent that Mayo just had a one-point lead at half-time).

What we are saying is that Gavin and the Dublin players (unlike say Tyrone in the semi-final) were flexible enough both in terms of tactics and personnel to adjust to what had happened, make the necessary changes, and go on to win the game.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Anyway footballer of the year.

This thread has killed it for me at this stage.

Nobody disputes that the Dublin starting selection didn't work because Mayo's set-up negated it (to the extent that Mayo just had a one-point lead at half-time).

What we are saying is that Gavin and the Dublin players (unlike say Tyrone in the semi-final) were flexible enough both in terms of tactics and personnel to adjust to what had happened, make the necessary changes, and go on to win the game.

Last response on the issue as thread is about footballer of the year.

Gavins starting selection had a massive glaring mistake in the form of O'Gara who is clearly not up to this level. He hauled him off asap and had to change his plans around. Dressing is up as tactical genius is ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

By what exactly?

Do you agree starting O'Gara was a disaster and threw the Dublin game plan into disarray?

If one or two things went Mayo's way and they won, Gavin would be criticised for the O'Gara move.

By the bit he quoted I'd say. McManamon had a big impact.

I agree with the thoughts on the O'Gara call. Gavin would have come under a lot of scrutiny if they lost. There have been bigger calls made before a final, but it's not far off the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

By what exactly?

If one or two things went Mayo's way and they won, Gavin would be criticised for the O'Gara move. A kick of the ball the other way and he's a genius.

By the part I quoted, obviously!

I think everyone agrees Andy Moran is odds on for POTY. And well deserved.

• Advertisement

By what exactly?

Not a single person has said that starting O'Gara turned out to be tactically awesome.

What you are missing is that O'Gara wasn't the issue. As Gavin said in a post-match interview "we wanted to try something different". That something different - go long from the kick-out with quick ball to Andrews and O'Gara - just didn't get off the ground. Change in tactics towards the end of the first half and change in personnel at half-time changed it all around.

You could argue that the difference between Mayo and Dublin over the last two years could come down to the fact that when Gavin took a gamble with a change (O'Gara) that subsequently didn't work, he acted quickly during the game to correct the mistake while Rochford, in the corresponding game last year (Hennelly) didn't act quickly enough.

I cannot see Footballer of the Year going to anyone but Andy Moran.

There will be two Dubs nominated - two of McCarthy, Cluxton and O'Callaghan - and the vote will be split, allowing Moran to get the nod.

Not that bothered as I said in the days before the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Surely Andy Moran is the only real choice.
    Hard to see why Cluxton is even being mentioned. 1 easyish save and multiple lost possessions on his kick outs. Did nothing of note or had little to do in the other games.

Some posters here would make an arguement for all Mayo 15 all star team this year too

Some posters here would make an arguement for all Mayo 15 all star team this year too

Eh no they wouldn't :rolleyes:

There will be two Dubs nominated - two of McCarthy, Cluxton and O'Callaghan - and the vote will be split, allowing Moran to get the nod.

Well more-so by virtue of the fact that he is the best player this season and thereby 100% deserves winning the award in question....

BTW, this 'split vote' thing. How does it work? How is this relevant to the county someone is from? Surely people just vote for who they think was the best and that is it? How do votes get split?

gramar wrote: »
    Hard to see why Cluxton is even being mentioned. 1 easyish save and multiple lost possessions on his kick outs. Did nothing of note or had little to do in the other games.

Lifetime achievement award it seems. I wouldn't even give him an all star tbh. Clarke was exceptional in every game. He done more in the triple save against Kerry alone than Cluxton did all year... Now you can say he didn't have to make the saves, but then that isn't really the point in the context. Nothing personal against him at all, another player just had a superior season.

For the record my three nominees would be McCarthy, Moran and Barrett, with Moran out in front and the other two very close to each other.

Well more-so by virtue of the fact that he is the best player this season and thereby 100% deserves winning the award in question....

BTW, this 'split vote' thing. How does it work? How is this relevant to the county someone is from? Surely people just vote for who they think was the best and that is it? How do votes get split?
    He was the most important player to a team that needed him to deliver.  However, I dont recalling him setting the world alight prior to the Kerry games. But that is how All Stars are dished out too, some guy could have a stinker of a year and have a good All Ireland final and he gets an All Star.

Don't really mind if they do, don't think Cluxton for example would complain about missing out on the formal dinner.

Dublin have won the All-Ireland, Kerry can have the League and Mayo can have the All-Stars and POTY. I'm nearly sorry we didn't let Kildare win the O'Byrne Cup.

• Advertisement

gramar wrote: »

Lifetime achievement award it seems. I wouldn't even give him an all star tbh. Clarke was exceptional in every game. He done more in the triple save against Kerry alone than Cluxton did all year... Now you can say he didn't have to make the saves, but then that isn't really the point in the context.
    He bottled the most important two kicks of his year

Advertisement