Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Footballer of the Year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,519 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Andy Moran or James McCarthy would be the two standouts of the year.

Con O'Callaghan for young player.

Cluxton had an awful final. Gave away countless kickouts when Mayo pressed up. Was the reason why Mayo dominated in the first half.

Actually Cluxton had a very good game. The preplanned kickout strategy failed because men out the field were beaten. Cluxton is good enough to change to Plan B and I don't think he lost a kick-out in the second half. He also fielded well and had one good save from a poor shot. He had no chance with the goal.

Compare that to Clarke whose kick-outs fell apart under the pressure of the last ten minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I always find it funny that the kickout is 100% judged on the keeper when it goes wrong- what if he has no options? You need receivers who make space, etc.

I thought he did very well in the second half yesterday.

I think if McCarthy wins it then they should just pack in this award- he had a fine year prior to yesterday and even had a poor first half but had a very good last 20 mins- surely thats not enough to win player of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭corny

naughtb4 wrote: »
    I would put it down to Mayo being great in the middle, they destroyed Dublins midfield

I was astonished at how poor Dublin were in midfield. Mayo were doing the normal thing of gathering around the man going up to win the breaks and Dublin just weren't.

I remember James McCarthy going up with 4 Mayo men around him waiting for the break. No Dub in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Mayo dominant in the midfield, but yet James McCarthy was MOTM.
    There is no stand out performer this year.
    I'd give it to Andy Moran or Paul Geaney.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Mayo dominant in the midfield, but yet James McCarthy was MOTM. .
    In the first half they were imo but Dublin took over in the second half just about, also Flynn went into midfiled and McCarthy dropped back a bit to cover McCaffery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Andy Moran all day long......Mayo wouldnt have got close to an All Ireland Final.....scored something like 3-24 from play in the Championship

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Wouldn't have a problem at all with Andy Moran getting it. It would be richly deserved. Dublin are a sum of all their parts, but AM is Mayo's heartbeat in ways that Cillian O'Connor or Aidan O'Shea will never be, despite all the frees kicked, or column inches generated. Really hope he sticks around for another year, even if his minutes played, will have to be micro managed to an even greater degree.

Paul Mannion should win it. His exhibition against Monaghan and his work rate (and scores) yesterday should be worthy of the highest praise. Con O'Callaghan a very close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Wouldn't have a problem at all with Andy Moran getting it. It would be richly deserved. Dublin are a sum of all their parts, but AM is Mayo's heartbeat in ways that Cillian O'Connor or Aidan O'Shea will never be, despite all the frees kicked, or column inches generated. Really hope he sticks around for another year, even if his minutes played, will have to be micro managed to an even greater degree.

Yeah can see Moran getting it.

In a strange way getting beaten early in the Championship almost enhances a players chances of winning player of the year as more opportunities to shine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Andy Moran or James McCarthy would be the two standouts of the year.

Con O'Callaghan for young player.

Cluxton had an awful final. Gave away countless kickouts when Mayo pressed up. Was the reason why Mayo dominated in the first half

This is all in your head.

11/11 in the second half.

Over the season has constantly found his man with kickouts. He has brought a new dynamic to the game and role of the goalkeeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,186 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Kickouts me hole. He didn't hit any of his own players in the first half. Parsons lorded it. Surely the fact that he switched to short kickouts in the second half suggests that it wasn't working? Most influential player of the last 25 years my hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Kickouts me hole. He didn't hit any of his own players in the first half. Parsons lorded it. Surely the fact that he switched to short kickouts in the second half suggests that it wasn't working? Most influential player of the last 25 years my hole.

Only changed to short kick outs when Sherlock ran straight to him and told him to. Could he not see himself it wasn't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

corny wrote: »
    Paul Mannion should win it. His exhibition against Monaghan and his work rate (and scores) yesterday should be worthy of the highest praise. Con O'Callaghan a very close second.

Good call. Dont hear him being mentioned but he was very good all year

• Registered Users Posts: 27,519 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Only changed to short kick outs when Sherlock ran straight to him and told him to. Could he not see himself it wasn't working.

Cluxton:

11/11 in the second half when the pressure was on. Key save to prevent a Durcan goal. Coolness in the last two minutes when Dublin played keep-ball when down to 13 and fully involved.

Clarke:

Froze in extra-time. Kicked straight down McCarthy's throat for a mark which led to the winning free. Kicked the subsequent kick-out over the Cusack Stand touchline, with Mayomen free on the other side.

It is only when you see what happens other goalkeepers in the crunch minutes that you realise how powerful an influence Cluxton is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I think you summed it up perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Moran for me

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭mjp

It's easy for cluxtons to look good when he has the movement of Dublin players in front of him to make him look good. Most teams with exception of Kerry and Mayo aren't able to put pressure on outfield players or some even decide not to bother challenging Dublin for it and allow them have possession uncontested. Mayo put huge pressure on him in first half and you could see he was rattled as had no option but to boot it out to midfield where Mayo were dominating. They didn't put same pressure in second half but the pressure they put on in first half took showed up in last 20 minutes as lot of their big players were out on their feet. Both teams going down to 14 made it much easier for cluxtons to find his men due to Mayo having less players to cover the space.

Andy Moran player of the season. End of !!!

Good call. Dont hear him being mentioned but he was very good all year

Its weird that people have a blind spot for his display against Monaghan. He was unplayable that day.

Was great when Dublin needed him most in the final too (didn't wilt like some others) yet no votes.

Hope he gets an All Star at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Similar to last year I would expect 2 Dublin players, McCarthy and Cluxton and Andy Moran to be nominated with Andy Moran, deservedly, winning it.

Dublin players will split the vote again this year but think Moran deserves it, he was excellent all year, I though the would struggle against the Dublin full back line but his movement, especially in first half, to drop his man was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

As a Dubs fan, Andy Moran for carrying a whole team on his shoulders should get it.  Without him Mayo would have been no where near the final.  If her retires they wont be back in a final for a long time

• Advertisement

Faugheen wrote: »
    Honestly, some of the ****e that gets written about Stephen Cluxton on these boards bores me to death.

He's had a stellar career, but still people look to pick holes and write him off/say their team's keeper is better than him. Utter nonsense. Cluxton has changed the role of the goalkeeper immensely but no, he's only good at kick-outs.

I honestly am sick of the begrudery towards him. He can alter his play numerous times and people will try to find fault in his game, referencing a match that was played about 10 years ago.

I saw someone suggest that he only gets All-Stars because picking the keeper means they can get a Dub in there. Again, no credit to what the man does year-in, year-out.

If Cluxton played for Mayo/Kerry he'd be heralded as the best keeper of all time, a title which he would deserve. However because he plays for Dublin people still try to write him off.

We don't deserve players like him in the GAA, because clearly so many can't see past their red mist against Dublin to recognise what a great footballer he is.
    Cluxton will go down as one of the greatest players of all time and rightly so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

blanch152 wrote: »
    Cluxton:

11/11 in the second half when the pressure was on. Key save to prevent a Durcan goal. Coolness in the last two minutes when Dublin played keep-ball when down to 13 and fully involved.

Clarke:

Froze in extra-time. Kicked straight down McCarthy's throat for a mark which led to the winning free. Kicked the subsequent kick-out over the Cusack Stand touchline, with Mayomen free on the other side.

It is only when you see what happens other goalkeepers in the crunch minutes that you realise how powerful an influence Cluxton is.

11/11, because he had to go short, due to his long kicks being so poor in the first half. Decent save alright, although the finish was disappointing. He was really bad in the first half, but he readjusted, still, to say he ahd a good game is a bit much

Clarke miscued his last kick, fair enough. McCarthy done well to get under the other one though. He read the run. His kickouts in general were superior to cluxtons on the whole. The man deserves great credit for that, considering last year.

One thing I will say, the mayo management deserve serious credit - they found a way to turn cluxtons kickouts on their head. Nobody has managed this before - ever. Jim McGuinness and these guys would want to remember that before they start chirping in the paper...

But its all about the pressure and the clutch kicks, when the pressure was on Clarke put one down McCarthys throat and one over the sideline.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

One thing I will say, the mayo management deserve serious credit - they found a way to turn cluxtons kickouts on their head. Nobody has managed this before - ever. Jim McGuinness and these guys would want to remember that before they start chirping in the paper...

Eamonn Fitzmaurice and Kerry managed it twice at least

Eamonn Fitzmaurice and Kerry managed it twice at least

Id argue they managed to create an odd mistake. But mayo seemed to have a system worked out where they had the bodies in place to come out of top more often than not, any time he went long, which would be a fair few steps up on what Kerry were doing. They seemed to have cracked it completely for periods.

kilns wrote: »
    But its all about the pressure and the clutch kicks, when the pressure was on Clarke put one down McCarthys throat and one over the sideline.

But surely every kickout is a clutch kick like? I mean go short and mess it up and you are f'd. (For me there is too much pressure on keepers now, for this very reason, but that is beside the point)

Cluxton had a bad game (happens to everyone), trying to drag his opposite number down doesn't change this, so I don't see the point. The reality is people were saying he should be poty before the game, nobody is saying it now, which tells the reality of the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

But surely every kickout is a clutch kick like? I mean go short and mess it up and you are f'd. (For me there is too much pressure on keepers now, for this very reason, but that is beside the point)

Cluxton had a bad game (happens to everyone), trying to drag his opposite number down doesn't change this, so I don't see the point. The reality is people were saying he should be poty before the game, nobody is saying it now, which tells the reality of the situation.

The pressure is on from the throw in of an AI final. Like you said every kick is a clutch kick. Cluxton was having a nightmare until Sherlock ordered him to change tack. So much for having the initiative to change course.

Unfortunately most counties concede the Dublin kickouts either deliberately or through not having the ability to press correctly. In this regard anyone would look like a great keeper. If Cluxton wins POTY it would be an absolute travesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Jim McGuinness ran this article about Mayo back in June.

It seems very prescient in the light of how the game ended on Sunday.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/jim-mcguinness-lack-of-cutting-edge-cost-mayo-another-tight-game-1.3116975

Unlike some rivals, they lack a clinical game plan in attack when the game is on the line

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

The pressure is on from the throw in of an AI final. Like you said every kick is a clutch kick. Cluxton was having a nightmare until Sherlock ordered him to change tack. So much for having the initiative to change course.

Unfortunately most counties concede the Dublin kickouts and instead pack their own half. In this regard anyone would look like a great keeper.

The pressure is greatest in the last 5 minutes when you are trying to close the game out.

Dublin have been able to that basically in every big game they've played in the last three years apart from the League final this year; a game where I really thought they lacked urgency (ie I dont think they cared that much).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Id argue they managed to create an odd mistake. But mayo seemed to have a system worked out where they had the bodies in place to come out of top more often than not, any time he went long, which would be a fair few steps up on what Kerry were doing. They seemed to have cracked it completely for periods.

I'd argue Kerry did the same or even better, to the extent that Cluxton cracked and put 2 or 3 over sidelines etc. It's not a player failing though, it's a sytem failure.
    Dublin's mistake in this final was that they thought Fenton would be able to compete with Parsons and O'Shea in fielding. McCarthy had a great game in all facets but Fenton has had a bad year and very poor final.

Advertisement