Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland SHC Final (formerly SHC thread) - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

No, 9 of them. Which one had more emotion, tension and history than Sunday's?

I am not really talking about the hurling quality (even though the minor match was superb), I am talking about the atmosphere before, during and after. The raw emotion in Croke Park on Sunday was something to behold. The occasion where 1 county would end a long famine and there were none of the Big 3 made it different without a doubt.

I'm not disagreeing with you and I'm not doubting you either.
    I was only asking as it's somewhat impossible to judge without being at all finals.

As a KK man who's been blessed to be at so many finals, the raw emotion after winning the final isn't always at the same level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

marvin80 wrote: »
    Enlighten us, which of the Kilkenny v Tipperary matches were poor quality?

2009 was a great final. Galway Waterford at a minimum matches any of the others though -2010KK didn't show up, 2011 was a standard enough final with the result never in doubt and by 2016 KK were past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

What the hell is going on with the double spacing between words? :confused:

last .
    sunday

:D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

ClanofLams wrote: »
    2009 was a great final. Galway Waterford at a minimum matches any of the others though -2010KK didn't show up, 2011 was a standard enough final with the result never in doubt and by 2016 KK were past it.

I thought 2009 and 2010 were equally good - Dont forget in 2010 that Kilkenny were well in it in the first half, and that Tipp only pulled away mid way through the second, but when they did it was through some wonder goals by Lar Corbett, brilliant team moves.

The best performance in a final was probably KK v Waterford 2008.

Sunday you are probably right, for raw emotion.....though Tipp toppling KK in 2010 was fairly emotive too, KK going for 5 in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

This. is. major.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Tombo2001 wrote: »

Sunday you are probably right, for raw emotion.....though Tipp toppling KK in 2010 was fairly emotive too, KK going for 5 in a row.

As a Tipp man 2010 was unbelievable, will never forget it.

Same for Galway people I'd say. If they win a few more All-Ireland's in the next few years this year's win will stand out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

2010 was probably the best final in my memory, two side genuinely going at it.
    Unfortunately many teams, Galway included, throw in the towel early when facing KK and they make for huge anti climaxes.
    Tipperary v KK are usually the best for high quality hurling and tension.

Which year did Galway throw in the towel early against KK, the final they were 5 pts up at HT in or the one they were 3 up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Which year did Galway throw in the towel early against KK, the final they were 5 pts up at HT in or the one they were 3 up?

Agreed - no one through in the towel.

Thing is, Kilkenny just had absolutely savage players in their prime in that period - Shefflin, Tommy Walsh, Eoin Larkin, JJ, Noel Hickey, Jackie Tyrrell, Eddie Brennan, Michael Rice, Brian Hogan, Martin Comerford - the strength in depth was awesome - no one could come close and its not a reflection on the opposition. Michael Fennelly and Cha couldnt even get in the team.

For me the most emotive win I can remember was Clare's first win in 1995. Was the hurling good? I'm not sure. But there was plenty of emotion both on the pitch and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,853 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Similar with 96, awful match but the day will live on for generations in the memory of Wexford people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

In 2015, as soon as KK got a run at them early in the second half, Galway simply collapsed. Early in the second half is early.

In 2012 likewise, they were soundly beaten in the replay.

Galway should have won both years. They ran up the white flag in the second half of 2015 when KK scored a couple of points early in the second half. They showed no fight. Once KK start to get on top, those Galway teams collapsed in AI finals. Most Galway supporters would agree with this.

• Advertisement

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Agreed - no one through in the towel.

Thing is, Kilkenny just had absolutely savage players in their prime in that period - Shefflin, Tommy Walsh, Eoin Larkin, JJ, Noel Hickey, Jackie Tyrrell, Eddie Brennan, Michael Rice, Brian Hogan, Martin Comerford - the strength in depth was awesome - no one could come close and its not a reflection on the opposition. Michael Fennelly and Cha couldnt even get in the team.

For me the most emotive win I can remember was Clare's first win in 1995. Was the hurling good? I'm not sure. But there was plenty of emotion both on the pitch and off.

Most of those players were either retired or on the point of retiring in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

You said many teams, Galway included, threw the towel in early leading to poor spectacles. If Galway were ahead at half time in both, they surely didn't throw in the towel early. 2012 was an excellent final for excitement. 2015 was close up until the 60 minute mark.

You said many teams, Galway included, threw the towel in early leading to poor spectacles. If Galway were ahead at half time in both, they surely didn't throw in the towel early. 2012 was an excellent final for excitement. 2015 was close up until the 60 minute mark.

The first game in 2012 was decent. The replay wasn't and Galway didn't turn up. Nor did they turn up for the second half in 2015.

I'd question whether it was still close in 2015. KK were 3 points down at half time. They were 7 points up with a minute of the game left, a turnaround of 10 points. Joe Canning got a fairly lucky goal to bring it back to a 4 points difference but KK had taken their foot off the gas at that stage.

Galway were awful in the second half. There is no other way of describing it other than they collapsed and threw in the towel when KK really started to play. The lack of fight from Galway in the second half wasn't pretty to watch.

Not going to pick out Galway alone. Waterford failed to show up in 2008. Tipperary weren't great in a couple of finals, but were brilliant when they did 'show up'. There's been a predictability about most KK finals.
    Its good to see other counties contesting the AI final and it definitely helps with the excitement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

In 2015, as soon as KK got a run at them early in the second half, Galway simply collapsed. Early in the second half is early.

In 2012 likewise, they were soundly beaten in the replay.

Galway should have won both years. They ran up the white flag in the second half of 2015 when KK scored a couple of points early in the second half. They showed no fight. Once KK start to get on top, those Galway teams collapsed in AI finals. Most Galway supporters would agree with this.

I wouldn't say they didn't fight in 2012 and 2015. They lacked the composure and didn't hurl intelligently. In both years, in the second half, they dropped deep and just fonged the ball down to the KK half back line who were unmarked. It was different all throughout this year, always looking to pick out a man.

As an example, McInerney last year used to just drive the ball without looking. He was obviously instructed to lay the ball off this year. I'm not sure what the stats are but I'd say he didn't strike 10 balls from the quarter final on. The majority of balls were hand passed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 James lakes

Is  it  the  cup  you  go  to  see  handed  over  or  a  match,  how  many  times  last  sunday  had  the  ball  be  thrown  in  with  lads  bunching   last  sunday  it  was  a  lot  and  it  was  like  the  rugby  when  Waterford  were  taking  frees  lad  running  in  wipping  hurls  on  a  dry  day  like  last  Sunday  slowing  the  game  down.

I  suffer  from  a  disease   called  parkinsons   is  that good  enough answer  for you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭C__MC

Best final for me was 2014 draw, an absolute thriller

thelad95 wrote: »
    I'd agree with the fear aspect, Tipperary never could quite get over their fear of Kilkenny apart from 2010 and 2016 but that fear severely hampered them in 2011, 2012 and 2014.

I really do disregard 2010 as a 'classic' final, imagine if the tables had been turned and Kilkenny had socked it too Tipperary with 4 goals, it would have just been another Kilkenny All Ireland. As others have said, that was a serious off day for Kilkenny, every single one of those goals were from awful defending.

That game was in the melting pot on 60 minutes, tipps bench blow kk away. Score line flattered Tipp

Is  it  the  cup  you  go  to  see  handed  over  or  a  match,  how  many  times  last  sunday  had  the  ball  be  thrown  in  with  lads  bunching   last  sunday  it  was  a  lot  and  it  was  like  the  rugby  when  Waterford  were  taking  frees  lad  running  in  wipping  hurls  on  a  dry  day  like  last  Sunday  slowing  the  game  down.

This  mans  brother here there will be double spacing in you if I ever come across the likes disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 10,853 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

This  mans  brother here there will be double spacing in you if I ever come across the likes disaster

Relax, he was only asking a question ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Excuse me? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

In terms of the sense of occasion and emotion, that must be the best final since 1995 or 1996. It really felt different to others hurling finals I have been to (granted Galway lost all of them since 88).

I didn't think it was a classic final but it was a very good game. The quality of some of the points scored was breathtaking.

Had Waterford nailed some of those wides they hit in the last 10 to 12 minutes of the game then we might have had a real classic but they missed them so it always looked like Galway were in control coming down the finishing stretch.

This mans brother here there will be double spacing in you if I ever come across the likes disaster

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Tony Sopranos brother ??
    Cop on boy will yaa FFS .... :rolleyes:

greenspurs wrote: »
    This  mans  brother here there will be double spacing in you if I ever come across the likes disaster

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Tony Sopranos brother ??    
    Cop on boy will yaa FFS ....  :rolleyes:
    Have you a problem with that it shows how ignorant immiture a comment like that yesterday can have on a person with an illness, we will keep going are you going to be in Thurles tomorrow shouting for the cats or will you have your laptop in front of you passing comments I say more likely that's where you be.

Have you a problem with that it shows how ignorant immiture a comment like that yesterday can have on a person with an illness, we will keep going are you going to be in Thurles tomorrow shouting for the cats or will you have your laptop in front of you passing comments I say more likely that's where you be.

Your Illness didnt cause you to threaten someone though did it ?
    Why not just give the reason for the typing, instead of getting so threatening, Did you think that would work out ok??

I will be in Thurles tomorrow, and i will be in Croke Park on Sunday....
    Hon the Cats !!!

Jackie Tyrell fairly slating Tipp in his new book about their meekness and mental fralties during their rivalry between 2009-2014. Lar Corbett comes in for particular attention as does bubbles o Dwyer. Tyrell feels both didn't have the stomach for battle with the cats. Must have been tough for Jackie watching Tipp run rings around kk in 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

He doesn't come across well. Very arrogant and disrespectful. Hard listen to as a pundit too.

Must have forgot about Lar's hat trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

I suffer from a disease called parkinsons is that good enough answer for you

I think you are spoofing.

C__MC wrote: »
    Jackie Tyrell fairly slating Tipp in his new book about their meekness and mental fralties during their rivalry between 2009-2014. Lar Corbett comes in for particular attention as does bubbles o Dwyer. Tyrell feels both didn't have the stomach for battle with the cats. Must have been tough for Jackie watching Tipp run rings around kk in 2016.

I feel he would know.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Just trying to be controversial to sell a few books.

He's punditry continues to get worse perhaps the money will be useful for when RTE finally give him his P45.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement