Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland SHC Final (formerly SHC thread) - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options
1113114115116117119»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

Have to credit Cyril Farrell on the Sunday game. Unparalleled knowledge of camogie and hurling players from big and lesser known counties. He fairly does go off broadway to watch matches. It seems to be a serious addiction for him! The enthusiasm he has for camogie seems to be the same as for hurling.

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Plenty would dispute the word "outstanding". Give your own view but don't assume the world agrees with you. And if this is indicative of his reaction when meeting a player whose ability threatens him the strength of the argument that he was not outstanding grows. Outstanding players should not have to resort to that.

:confused:
    Fair enough i am giving my own view and not forcing anyone to go along with it. Take it or leave it mate its up to you and whoever else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

'Assigned by Brian Cody to shadow Lar Corbett in 2011, Tipp’s rangy and coltish goal machine, Tyrrell took to the task with glee, standing on his opponent’s toes, kicking at his heels, trying to pull down his socks, which Corbett always wore stretched to knee-level.
    “At one stage when he tried to dart away from me, I caught his helmet. My fingers edged through the bars on his faceguard and I scraped him below the eye with my fingernails. I’m not sure if I drew blood but when Lar started complaining to the referee I just shrugged my shoulders.”

https://www.sportsfile.com/winshare/p180/Library/SF889/676704.jpg

He's sounding a bit like the Philly McMahon of hurling with those comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

jam83 wrote: »
    Have to credit Cyril Farrell on the Sunday game. Unparalleled knowledge of camogie and hurling players from big and lesser known counties. He fairly does go off broadway to watch matches. It seems to be a serious addiction for him! The enthusiasm he has for camogie seems to be the same as for hurling.

He's a Buff Egan wanabee. And you can believe that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,830 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

djPSB wrote: »

Cyril Farrell is a Buff Egan wannabe?
    What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Did anyone on here that is a season ticket holder have trouble getting a ticket for the final?
    I've heard two incidents that they were near impossible got.

What?

Buff is under a lot of strain recently re:snapchat outburst and whatever went on at the 21 final Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

What?

Sarcasm!
    The thing with Farrell is you know he'd be at all these games for colleges, camogie, club hurling, club camogie even if he wasn't on tv to talk about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I said wrote: »
    Buff is under a lot of strain recently re:snapchat outburst and whatever went on at the 21 final Saturday

>?? :confused:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement

Sarcasm!
    The thing with Farrell is you know he'd be at all these games for colleges, camogie, club hurling, club camogie even if he wasn't on tv to talk about it.

Sorry, twas early in the morning over here when I read that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Lads, I'm always shocked when I remind myself that Cyril Farrell was a county manager when he was in his 20s!!!!! Will that ever happen again? Jamie Wall?

Lads, I'm always shocked when I remind myself that Cyril Farrell was a county manager when he was in his 20s!!!!! Will that ever happen again? Jamie Wall?

Didn't Tipp have a very young guy managing the football team recently? I don't think he was THAT young though? These days people seem to think you have to have had a great inter-county career as a player to be taken seriously as a manager, so it's hard to see how it would happen again, but the evidence is starting to pile up that while some people can be a great manager and great player, the two jobs are very different and have different skills and demands on a person. At the very least, it should be an end to lads getting high profile management jobs just because they were a great player.

Didn't Tipp have a very young guy managing the football team recently? I don't think he was THAT young though? These days people seem to think you have to have had a great inter-county career as a player to be taken seriously as a manager, so it's hard to see how it would happen again, but the evidence is starting to pile up that while some people can be a great manager and great player, the two jobs are very different and have different skills and demands on a person. At the very least, it should be an end to lads getting high profile management jobs just because they were a great player.

You're spot on. David Power was 31 when he managed the Wexford footballers. He was 28 when he managed the Tipp minors to an All-Ireland title.

I'd agree with you on the issue of management. I don't think a manager needs to be someone who even played at senior club level.

Look at Mourinho. Also, there are scores of examples of Head coaches in the NFL who never played with the pigskin to a high level...

But, I guess it would need to be professional to have a coaching badge system or someone who graduates through some kind of apprenticeship system at club level. But, I don't know, why not...

djPSB wrote: »

I sentance you to deletion for this comment

Delete, delete, delete! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Don't know much about this "buff" Egan fella but I see he tried take on some Limerick lad over weekend(saw it on twitter). If that's what you're comparing Cyril to then ye are way off.

Don't know much about this "buff" Egan fella but I see he tried take on some Limerick lad over weekend(saw it on twitter). If that's what you're comparing Cyril to then ye are way off.

The lads are only joking.

Nothing but love and respect for Cyril.

There'll be a national day of mourning when that man passes. Hopefully, won't see that day for another 40 or 50 years

Met Cyril in Pearse Stadium two years ago. An out and out gent. Came over and chatted to us for a few minutes about the hurling.

greenspurs wrote: »
    >?? :confused:

Gaa craic on bookface or Twitter you'll see the Limerick incident

Brian Cody has been ratified as Kilkenny senior hurling manager for a 20th season.

His backroom team of Derek Lyng, James McGarry and Michael Dempsey have also been given the green light to continue.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0912/904253-brian-cody-to-stay-on-as-kilkenny-boss-for-a-20th-seas/

• Advertisement

I think Buff is a bit of craic to be honest. Seems a fairly harmless guy that genuinely loves his hurling. He was dead right. Those gas-horns are fúckin irritating from a distance let alone right up against your ear. He kept relatively cool considering. I wouldnt be responsible for my actions if one of those was blown in my ear :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Brian Cody has been ratified as Kilkenny senior hurling manager for a 20th season.

His backroom team of Derek Lyng, James McGarry and Michael Dempsey have also been given the green light to continue.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0912/904253-brian-cody-to-stay-on-as-kilkenny-boss-for-a-20th-seas/

Fantastic. Cody is past it now and Kilkenny are now pretty terrible team so be easy for most teams to beat them. U21s destroyed by Limerick too. Future not too bright for the cats. Chance for the Deise to dominate now.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Amprodude wrote: »
    Fantastic. Cody is past it now and Kilkenny are now pretty terrible team so be easy for most teams to beat them. U21s destroyed by Limerick too. Future not too bright for the cats. Chance for the Deise to dominate now.... :rolleyes:

I hope that was all sarcastic ? :confused:
    Especially the bit about the Daysha ..... :D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Advertisement