Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland SHC Final (formerly SHC thread) - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Rightwing wrote: »
    Better team won, no question about that. Waterford were lacking that bit of class. Remind me of mayo football, they were at full throttle, couldn't fault the effort. Still, a great season for them. Well done Galway, did a fine job on a sork minor team too.

I don't get the lazy comparison to Mayo football. Because they lost the final?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭letowski

Fair play to Waterford and their effort, their supporters should be proud of their effort, as Im sure they are. I thought Galway would pull away by about 5 or 6 points before the game, but they didn't and Waterford had a chance right up to the ending. They missed a couple of chances towards the end, wides from Mahonay free, Fives and Moran were costly. That said Galway were the better team and were cruising early, they probably would have won it with more comfort if it wasn't for the keepers blunder for the 2nd goal. They just had too much firepower really. David Burke was my MOTM, he bounced back well after a poor semi.

Congrats to my neighbours anyway, wouldnt begrudge them in the slightest, they are fully deserved champs. They had a great year, it seems they were scoring about 26 plus scores a game which showed their relentless form they were in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I don't get the lazy comparison to Mayo football. Because they lost the final?

A comparison is a comparison.

No, because they did well to get to the final. Mayo have also done well to get there.

Galway have so much talent available, it's a freak they went so long without winning. Not so for Waterford I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Better team on the day won through and the only unbeaten team remaining in this year's AI, so some justice in that. Would have been happy too if Waterford had prevailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

seligehgit wrote: »
    Great speech by Daithi Burke,very natural and from the heart.

Ah jaysus, he nearly thanked all 80k people individually for coming up. Waaaaaaay too long but I've never liked the speech anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

I've experienced some unreal moments around Eyre Square during RAG weeks but the scenes there, especially in Supermacs over the next few nights will be something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Motm?
    I'm thinking hanbury, David Burke , canning good for Galway
    Pauric Mahony very good for Waterford, Moran had good first half

'Greenboots' McInerney for me all the way.
    A colossus again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Congrats to Galway. The Tipp Galway All Ireland semi final was the real All Ireland final won by a moment of magic from Joe Canning. Felt Galway today always were comfortable enough apart from a shaky moment or 2. They have everything you want from a team. It must have been the most emotional All Ireland in years. Both sets of supporters of the older generation remarked when interviewed that they may never see this day again. I thought that was quite poignant. Then you have Niall Donnoghue and Tony Keady thrown in as well may God have mercy on them. I felt quite emotional at various stages. It was a momentous occasion and the only pity is there had to be a loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Just reading through the posts during the game. Like the football a majority are negatives, most seem to be criticising almost never praising. Why is this I wonder?

Anyway, superb game. Galway always that bit better I felt. Middle third were brilliant for Galway, and Niall Burke and Jason Flynn brilliant coming on. Moran very good for Waterford, De Burca on a lot of ball too.

Great quality, up there with what KK and Tipp have provided in the last few years. Hopefully I'm not overreacting to one All Ireland but Galway have the look of a team that could win a few more, consistency all over the field and on the bench. Quite a young team too.

Anyway back to my original point, don't know why posters spend the whole game pointing out mistakes and criticising, when we saw some brilliant individual pieces of play and a great game today. Congrats to Galway and hard luck Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭spideyman92

Devastated but best team won. Crazy to think Galway will still be in 1B in the league next year after doing a clean sweep of everything this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭C__MC

Django99 wrote: »
    Just reading through the posts during the game. Like the football a majority are negatives, most seem to be criticising almost never praising. Why is this I wonder?

Anyway, superb game. Galway always that bit better I felt. Middle third were brilliant for Galway, and Niall Burke and Jason Flynn brilliant coming on. Moran very good for Waterford, De Burca on a lot of ball too.

Great quality, up there with what KK and Tipp have provided in the last few years. Hopefully I'm not overreacting to one All Ireland but Galway have the look of a team that could win a few more, consistency all over the field and on the bench. Quite a young team too.

Anyway back to my original point, don't know why posters spend the whole game pointing out mistakes and criticising, when we saw some brilliant individual pieces of play and a great game today. Congrats to Galway and hard luck Waterford.

The exact same thing was said about Tipp this time last year. To early to make calls like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Not surprised - he has put his life on hold by taking a leave of absence from his teaching job.

Not sure about the comments from Babs Keating this morning saying in a newspaper piece that McGrath should resign if Waterford lost.
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    Galway were the better team all and deserved the AI

Disappointed with Babs Keating really disrespectful to Derek McGrath

I think Derek might go as it's really affecting his working life

When Bab's opens his mouth there is only one thing guaranteed and that's that there is going to be a smell of sh1te.

danganabu wrote: »
    When Bab's opens his mouth there is only one thing guaranteed and that's that there is going to be a smell of sh1te.

Such an awful pity Babs sullies his reputation with this sh1te.

EDIT: having read the article in question though im fully in agreement with him about the sweeper system. Such a negative system that screams one loud message, 'We are terrified of taking a hiding here'. The whole system is based on fear. It must be soul destroying seeing a ball cleared and only two men inside the final third. Having an extra back is worth sweet f*ck all if you cant get scores. Surely to god Waterford have a pool of players that would allow them to abandon this crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The Sunday Game team of the year:

1. Anthony Nash (Cork)

2. Adrian Tuohy (Galway)
    3. Daithi Burke (Galway)
    4. Noel Connors (Waterford)

5. Padraic Mannion (Galway)
    6. Gearoid McInerney (Galway)
    7. Padraic Maher (Tipperary)

8. Jamie Barron (Waterford)
    9. David Burke (Galway)

10. Kevin Moran (Waterford)
    11. Joe Canning (Galway)
    12. Brick Walsh (Waterford)

13. Conor Whelan (Galway)
    14. Conor Cooney (Galway)
    15. Patrick Horgan (Cork)

Galway x8
    Waterford x4
    Cork x2
    Tipperary x1

Gearoid McInerney has been named The Sunday Game hurler of the year. It was an unanimous decision from all the pundits (Cummins, Daly, Brennan, Farrell, Tyrell, Mulcahy & Duignan).

Well done to him, he's been superb. I don't think Galway would have won the AI without him performing so well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Well deserved, crucial to Galways success this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Gearoid McInerney has been named The Sunday Game hurler of the year. It was an unanimous decision from all the pundits (Cummins, Daly, Brennan, Farrell, Tyrell, Mulcahy & Duignan).

Well done to him, he's been superb. I don't think Galway would have won the AI without him performing so well.

Did he get MOTM for today also?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

The Sunday Game team of the year:

1. Anthony Nash (Cork)

2. Adrian Tuohy (Galway)
    3. Daithi Burke (Galway)
    4. Noel Connors (Waterford)

5. Padraic Mannion (Galway)
    6. Gearoid McInerney (Galway)
    7. Padraic Maher (Tipperary)

8. Jamie Barron (Waterford)
    9. David Burke (Galway)

10. Kevin Moran (Waterford)
    11. Joe Canning (Galway)
    12. Brick Walsh (Waterford)

13. Conor Whelan (Galway)
    14. Conor Cooney (Galway)
    15. Patrick Horgan (Cork)

Galway x8
    Waterford x4
    Cork x2
    Tipperary x1

No Kilkenny man, oh how the mighty have fallen, and long may it stay that way.

reap-a-rat wrote: »

Haven't announced that yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭big_drive

reap-a-rat wrote: »

Not announced yet but surely will be David Burke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

big_drive wrote: »
    Not announced yet but surely will be David Burke

Yeah I'd agree, played the captain's role today. Thought he was flawless!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

David Burke is Man Of The Match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Gael85

David Burke is Man Of The Match.

Happy days. Backed him@20/1. Put a fiver on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Gael85 wrote: »
    Happy days. Backed him@20/1. Put a fiver on it :)

Treat us.

C__MC wrote: »
    The exact same thing was said about Tipp this time last year. To early to make calls like that.

Well it's always going to be too early to make calls like that. What I'm saying is Galway have the look of a side that won't drop in consistency. Of course, anything can happen and they might not win another trophy. But I feel that this side is good enough to win more All Irelands.

Such an awful pity Babs sullies his reputation with this sh1te.

EDIT: having read the article in question though im fully in agreement with him about the sweeper system. Such a negative system that screams one loud message, 'We are terrified of taking a hiding here'. The whole system is based on fear. It must be soul destroying seeing a ball cleared and only two men inside the final third. Having an extra back is worth sweet f*ck all if you cant get scores. Surely to god Waterford have a pool of players that would allow them to abandon this crap?

Can't agree with this at all. Sweeper stwsten has gotten Waterford to two semi finals and one final, all lost by small margins. Similar to what the team of the 00s did if not better. Scoring averages from this team would be above most of the last decade. To the spectator, it might look negative. But what is negative? Is it playing defensively? As I said they score more than almost ever other team, so it probably isn't defensive.

Should they play 15 on 15 like every other team has for 100 years and have Kilkenny, cork and Tipp win 90% of the All Irelands? I say no, I say try something different, try to out manouver these teams because it won't be done by just going for it.

I love to see teams try something different, it's what sport is all about. There's rules there, and as long as you play within them anything is fair game for me. Sure, you might not win the All Ireland. But will any Waterford person, be it player or supporter, be hugely disappointed today looking back in years to come? It was a great experience, and they have potential to be back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭mezzz

Can't agree with this at all. Sweeper stwsten has gotten Waterford to two semi finals and one final, all lost by small margins. Similar to what the team of the 00s did if not better. Scoring averages from this team would be above most of the last decade. To the spectator, it might look negative. But what is negative? Is it playing defensively? As I said they score more than almost ever other team, so it probably isn't defensive.

Should they play 15 on 15 like every other team has for 100 years and have Kilkenny, cork and Tipp win 90% of the All Irelands? I say no, I say try something different, try to out manouver these teams because it won't be done by just going for it.

I love to see teams try something different, it's what sport is all about. There's rules there, and as long as you play within them anything is fair game for me. Sure, you might not win the All Ireland. But will any Waterford person, be it player or supporter, be hugely disappointed today looking back in years to come? It was a great experience, and they have potential to be back.

but waterford had the hurlers to draw or win that game today,

it's the same as chess or rugby or poker,

aggression wins

mezzz wrote: »

but waterford had the hurlers to draw or win that game today,

it's the same as chess or rugby or poker,

aggression wins

Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. A Waterford team with Ken McGrath, Tony Browne, Dan Shanahan, John Mullane and many other great hurlers never won an All Ireland. Who's to say they would it they wouldn't have by trying a different style play? We'll never know, but I have to commend Derek McGrath and the players for trying something different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. A Waterford team with Ken McGrath, Tony Browne, Dan Shanahan, John Mullane and many other great hurlers never won an All Ireland. Who's to say they would it they wouldn't have by trying a different style play? We'll never know, but I have to commend Derek McGrath and the players for trying something different.

Not to mention Paul Flynn

• Advertisement

Not to mention Paul Flynn

How could I forget him, so many outstanding individuals on that team.

Advertisement