Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids on Flights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭caniask86

Nobody said you don't have a right to be annoyed but tutting and rolling eyes does not help the situation. Being and adult and quietly annoyed is ok.

MadDog76 wrote: »
    If I witnessed an adult (any adult) kick a child (any child) regardless of the circumstances and/or relationship between adult and child I would become quite angry ......... me being angry, judging from past experiences, can result in an extremely volatile situation.

Violence to someone who is being Violent does not resolved anything.
    Stay calm in situations like that and let the proper authorities deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

caniask86 wrote: »
    Nobody said you don't have a right to be annoyed but tutting and rolling eyes does not help the situation. Being and adult and quietly annoyed is ok.
    So that's how you react. You aren't afforded the right to choose how others react

• Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Tolerance all round from both sides to both sides is the key in my opinion . Not everyone can be perfect all the time . Sometimes even adults have their own stresses and stressors

So that's how you react. You aren't afforded the right to choose how others react

I think that if I was struggling with my child and he was loud I would already naturally be aware that he is disturbing everyone and I would be trying my best already to calm the situation, so yeah someone coming up or tutting or angry looks is not acceptable. Move by all means, that doesn't bother me but when someone is struggling and out of anger someone feels to need to make the situation worse that's not right.

Lexie you want parent stay home with their children in case they inconvenience you. You are the one not allowing others the choice.

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Tolerance all round from both sides to both sides is the key in my opinion . Not everyone can be perfect all the time . Sometimes even adults have their own stresses and stressors

We know that similarly if I see an adult crying and shouting and in distress I would not be tutting and eye rolling and saying smart remarks. I would understand that they are going through something, that is how it works both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Violence to someone who is being Violent does not resolved anything.
    Stay calm in situations like that and let the proper authorities deal with it.

I beg to differ ...........

I beg to differ ...........

I think it just brings you down to their level if I'm honest. If someone hit my child or kicked them I would call the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

If I witnessed an adult (any adult) kick a child (any child) regardless of the circumstances and/or relationship between adult and child I would become quite angry ......... me being angry, judging from past experiences, can result in an extremely volatile situation.

God, I hope you're not in that situation then. Then there'd be a screaming child, a raging adult and you throwing a violent tantrum and attacking someone. Apparently on an aeroplane because that's the best place for such an stupid situation.

You could do that and make it worse, or you show the modicum of self-control that the other person did not and try to separate the two and calm the situation rather than make it even more arseways.

If your temper is such that it leads to "volatile situations", for your own sake and everyone else's, would you consider working on it rather than sounding proud of it? You're not the Hulk, you don't get the excuse of not acting like a rational adult.

We know that similarly if I see an adult crying and shouting and in distress I would not be tutting and eye rolling and saying smart remarks. I would understand that they are going through something, that is how it works both ways.

Yes absolutely but also to understand that adults can be very stressed with no outward signs . High pitched screaming or even high soprano opera stresses me , I don't sit and cry or shout but its still very stressful for me .

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Yes absolutely but also to understand that adults can be very stressed with no outward signs . High pitched screaming or even high soprano opera stresses me , I don't sit and cry or shout but its still very stressful for me .

I understand but it's not just the parents that need to be proactive about noise control, If you know that high pitched sounds affect you then you should take control of your own health and get a pair of earphones that block out noise. That is the easiest solution to the situation the OP posted. Preparation for flights works both ways.

I think that if I was struggling with my child and he was loud I would already naturally be aware that he is disturbing everyone and I would be trying my best already to calm the situation, so yeah someone coming up or tutting or angry looks is not acceptable. Move by all means, that doesn't bother me but when someone is struggling and out of anger someone feels to need to make the situation worse that's not right.

Lexie you want parent stay home with their children in case they inconvenience you. You are the one not allowing others the choice.

Show me one post where I said that, thanks. You don't get to tell others how to feel, just like they don't get to tell your child how to feel.

I'm mildly claustrophobic myself - enough that I am uncomfortable in full buses, airplanes, lifts (I have never liked lifts). A small child shrieking its woes to the skies is very, very annoying. It absolutely will set my teeth on edge and I will long to turn around and tell small child off.

But I won't. Because the parent is generally trying to calm sprogface down and my blowing up like a child myself will only make things worse for the kid, embarrass the parent and probably embarrass everyone else in hearing range too. Even if I'm scowling at the headrest in front of me, I won't glare or eyeball the parent because it will improve nothing and make his or her day just that little bit worse in the middle of an already-stressful situation.

I understand but it's just not the parents that need to be proactive about noise control, If you know that high pitched sounds affect you then you should take control of your own health and get a pair of earphones that block out noise. That is the easiest solution to the situation the OP posted. Preparation for flights works both ways.

Yes i agree and I am very aware of that need for earplugs I hope I would be tolerant of a child with special needs . I know I would be less tolerant of the parents of a child who quite simply needs discipline .

Drugging children should 100% not even be suggested as a solution. With ASD diagnosis rising I think it's up to the airline to try accommodate people better on the spectrum and parents planning better. Arriving to board a flight with a child with a disability that is impacting on many other passengers is not really a great idea, what if a child or adult in the spectrum who is sensitive to noise is on board and can't cope? Everybody in the shared space need to be considered. Some might be understanding and sympathetic, others might not be and that's okay too

There, just one of many Lexie. Look back over your own comments, you seem to forget what you are actually posting.

Yeah I don't see where I said disabled children should stay at home, will you bold that part?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

Going back to the original post, it seems they landed on the 28th August in Murcia. She had an eight year old with her. A lot of schools started back last Thursday. It was clear they were going on holiday, I thought the day was gone when you pulled your kids from school to go on holidays?

I roofied myself on a flight once and ended up waking myself out freaking out from hallucinations. I spilled a girls can of Coke all over her because I thought I got myself and the balloons I was attached to stuck in a tree

I am sure this was so uncomfortable for other passengers how you behaved, did anyone say anything to you? Any angry tutting or eye rolling? Consideration does indeed work both ways.

What's condiseration

Samaris wrote: »
    God, I hope you're not in that situation then. Then there'd be a screaming child, a raging adult and you throwing a violent tantrum and attacking someone. Apparently on an aeroplane because that's the best place for such an stupid situation.

You could do that and make it worse, or you show the modicum of self-control that the other person did not and try to separate the two and calm the situation rather than make it even more arseways.

If your temper is such that it leads to "volatile situations", for your own sake and everyone else's, would you consider working on it rather than sounding proud of it? You're not the Hulk, you don't get the excuse of not acting like a rational adult.

Sometimes the threat of violence alone is enough to put an individual back in their box until they can be dealt with properly .......... as for my temper, I have worked on it over the years through various methods (certainly not proud of the situations my temper got me into in my younger years so you're way off the mark there!) with varying degrees of success, ie. I'm comfortable with who I am now ........ that said, any act of violence towards a child from an adult will still make me boil up and I'm also comfortable with that fact.

• Advertisement

You'll threaten the wrong person some day

You'll threaten the wrong person some day

You talkin' to me Lexie? If so, I am the wrong person! :D

You talkin' to me Lexie? If so, I am the wrong person! :D
    :D there's always a madder dog MD my good man

What's condiseration

Consideration for others when you drugged yourself on a flight and went on like a fool.

I made a spelling mistake.

Sometimes the threat of violence alone is enough to put an individual back in their box until they can be dealt with properly .......... as for my temper, I have worked on it over the years through various methods (certainly not proud of the situations my temper got me into in my younger years so you're way off the mark there!) with varying degrees of success, ie. I'm comfortable with who I am now ........ that said, any act of violence towards a child from an adult will still make me boil up and I'm also comfortable with that fact.

Glad you're working on it, and I am aware how hard a violent temper is to live with. But bearing in mind that you presumably would not have gotten any chance to indicate your hard man status to the person with chronic pain and a bad temper beforehand, so you'd be right up at the stage of being suddenly volatile all over the situation.

What would you do if you waded in anyway? Kick the woman? Congrats, you may have just broken her joint given the pre-existing condition mentioned in this whole daft hypothetical. I figure you'll consider the jail time worth it. Or you may have missed in confined quarters with (at least) two moving targets and lamped the screaming kid over the headrest or belted the parent intervening.

Either way, you would absolutely now be a problem along with the two originally involved. Generally best, if you cannot rely on your self-control, to stay out of it and let someone who can sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭blueser

irishmoss wrote: »
    Going back to the original post, it seems they landed on the 28th August in Murcia. She had an eight year old with her. A lot of schools started back last Thursday. It was clear they were going on holiday, I thought the day was gone when you pulled your kids from school to go on holidays?
    Don't the authorities block parents from doing that?

blueser wrote: »

If she home schools then it isn't an issue.

Consideration for others when you drugged yourself on a flight and went on like a fool.

I made a spelling mistake.
    I drug myself so parents don't need to rear children with manners :D

They do, which leads me to believe that the "many schools went back on Thursday" may well not have applied to the elder child's school or perhaps to her age group. Since we've got no info on that, I don't see much point pursuing it. It seems unlikely that the child was missing school these days as schools tend to be pretty strict about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

blueser wrote: »

In the UK yes, but not here as a general rule. It's frowned upon at best by the schools.
    If the kid misses 20 odd days in a year they start to get stroppy though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement