Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids on Flights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭caniask86

Lots of people are sedated when flying. Both my parents are.

They're adults.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I'm glad my illness is funny to you. It's certainly not funny to me.

It certainly turned you into a bitter and twisted individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭SteM

Oops69 wrote: »
    Sedatives for all kids Under 12 , theyre all headmelters on flights , especilly the spoilt ones so ubiquitous nowadays .

They're not all headmelters on flights, what an stupid comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

caniask86 wrote: »
    They're adults.
    Kids can safely be sedated.

It certainly turned you into a bitter and twisted individual.

It turned me into an individual who knows how to care for herself and ensure her basic rights are met.

• Advertisement

Are you a doctor? I recommend you to be sedated if you are that stressed about other people on flights.

Well, it's not up to you.
    Your opinion has been noted and discarded as obnoxious, ignorant and bullsh*t.
    Thanks for your input, it has been entirely worthless.
    Go and sedate for own good self, you badly need it.

edit
    If I had kids and some ignorant arsehole kicked them, they would be put through a wall.
    I'm just defending them, legal!

Are you a doctor? I recommend you to be sedated if you are that stressed about other people on flights.

No but I am a medical professional.

Well, it's not up to you.
    Your opinion has been noted and discarded as obnoxious, ignorant and bullsh*t.
    Thanks for your input, it has been entirely worthless.
    Go and sedate for own good self, you badly need it.

edit
    If I had kids and some ignorant arsehole kicked them, they would be put through a wall.
    I'm just defending them, legal!

I'd love to see you try, keyboard warrior.

Not a good one apparently, cause your meds seem to make you incredibly aggressive and irritable.
    You should be on different pills.

• Advertisement

Not a good one apparently, cause your meds seem to make you incredibly aggressive and irritable.
    You should be on different pills.

I'm unmedicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

You were hoping your child would be distressed for hours, to make some point to someone else?

Did you think of pinching the baby?

Do you have kids? Crying is not just a sign of distress. It's a form of communication, sometimes he just cries for the reaction. If you call him a faker, he starts laughing. They don't have words, they cry for a lot of reasons. P.S. why would he have to cry for hours?

I'm unmedicated.

Well...

Which could mean you work in a pharmacy or are a health assistant. You do not have the expertise to be recommending kids should be sedated.

Which could mean you work in a pharmacy or are a health assistant. You do not have the expertise to be recommending kids should be sedated.

No I work in a hospital and I'm certainly not an assistant or pharmacist. I'm also doing postgraduate studies to become a GP. I am incredibly knowledgeable about pharmacology, half lives, dosages, drug design and interactions, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Bitches Be Trypsin do not post in this thread again. Reason: trolling

No I work in a hospital and I'm certainly not an assistant or pharmacist. I'm also doing postgraduate studies to become a GP. I am incredibly knowledgeable about pharmacology, half lives, dosages, drug design and interactions, etc.

Well I am sure you will learn that it is not common practice for GPs to sedate children.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭SteM

I hope to God that I never encounter you as gp. If your real persona is like your online persona you'll make an awful gp.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Not too tuned into life though are you ? . GPs need common sense , empathy , a very good knowledge of the struggles of their patients, a good listening ear , and a deep understanding of the difficulties faced by parents of special needs kids .So I hope you learn all of the above before launching yourself on a GP practice .
    Then if you ever worked in paeds you would already know that any child is likely to lash out and kick a healthcare worker .Good Luck if you attempt to kick one back, your many years of training and knowledge will be blowing in the wind in shreds if you do .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Dr.fuzzenstein do not post in this thread again. Reason-Personal abuse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

JayRoc wrote: »

Two. The kind of inconsiderate twat who is happy to let their children (who are old enough to know how to behave) act like spoiled brats, running riot and being a constant disturbance to other passengers. If you take children into a public place it's your responsibility to make them behave.

Yeah, agree with your post. Babies and toddlers making noise - grand, and their parents are usually doing what they can to quiet them. I've defended these parents a lot in this thread because it's what I believe.

But the worst is parents who actually encourage their old-enough-to-be-quiet kids to be noisy. I was the train down to Wexford recently and a woman as across from me with two over 5yo kids. The kid were shrieking quite noisily and she as encouraging them and looking around, smiling indulgently at the various adults in the vicinity like "Aren't my kids so adorable?".

I'm also not a big fan of the cacophony that comes various films and TV shows being played for kids without them wearing headphones. Nothing worse than hearing the audio of a film/TV show and not seeing the corresponding visual. Goes through my skull.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I have loads of kids myself, I've brought them on planes, the youngest has yet to experience flying, he's special needs, 19 weeks old. I hope if he ever does fly with us I won't be subject to intolerance.
    My other children and myself suffer furiously from ear popping pain and pressure. The first time I experienced it, holy fcuk I thought my head was going to explode. I had no children at the time. I would not wish this pain on anyone let alone a child.
    I was advised by my gp to take Sudafed as it stops the linings of the nose and ears from swelling during flights and causing pain.. Especially during take off and landing. It's for colds and stuffy heads.
    I've been advised to give it to my younger kids now if we're flying, the result is no pain for kids and no torture for me or fellow passengers.
    I would never judge a parent on a child's behaviour unless it's obvious it's lax parenting. There but for the Grace of God and all that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Where do you think all these under 12s will get sedatives? GPs are reluctant to hand them over to adults never mind children.

It's should emit as a mist the minute they turn on peepa pig or whatever moronic game they have on their manky thumb - pawed tablets .

cbyrd wrote: »
    I have loads of kids myself, I've brought them on planes, the youngest has yet to experience flying, he's special needs, 19 weeks old. I hope if he ever does fly with us I won't be subject to intolerance.
    My other children and myself suffer furiously from ear popping pain and pressure. The first time I experienced it, holy fcuk I thought my head was going to explode. I had no children at the time. I would not wish this pain on anyone let alone a child.
    I was advised by my gp to take Sudafed as it stops the linings of the nose and ears from swelling during flights and causing pain.. Especially during take off and landing. It's for colds and stuffy heads.
    I've been advised to give it to my younger kids now if we're flying, the result is no pain for kids and no torture for me or fellow passengers.
    I would never judge a parent on a child's behaviour unless it's obvious it's lax parenting. There but for the Grace of God and all that. ;)

Ear popping is horrible and I have experienced this myself. My son is verbal so is able to communicate if his ears hurt or not. I wish you all the best for the future with your little boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

irishmoss wrote: »
    [/COLOR]

Sounds like "Old money" versus "new money" were the old stock look down on the man made wealth with disdain. Disdain also for the hardworking person who has saved up to go on a flight or a meal out and what's going through your head is "here's the pigs out of the parlour for the day, the're just not used to it like us who dine out all the time and fly more than them"

I'd be ashamed if I thought I reared my son with those values and his perceptions of the older generation

I suppose it does seem like that, but it's nothing to do with money Irishmoss, I didn't even mention it. It's about tolerance, manners, respect and understanding.

Instill these values in to your son and you'll be proud. Last thing we need is more excuses as members of society like the ones on this thread, kicking and sedating children.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Ear popping is horrible and I have experienced this myself. My son is verbal so is able to communicate if his ears hurt or not. I wish you all the best for the future with your little boy.

Lollypops or boiled sweets. Works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Sinus pressure on descent is a real bad experience. The pressure and pain behind the eyes can be really bad.

If a kid got that on a plane I'd expect them to be making a lot of noise with the pain.

Oops69 wrote: »
    Where do you think all these under 12s will get sedatives? GPs are reluctant to hand them over to adults never mind children.

It's should emit as a mist the minute they turn on peepa pig or whatever moronic game they have on their manky thumb - pawed tablets .

You're just looking for a reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Sinus pressure on descent is a real bad experience. The pressure and pain behind the eyes can be really bad.

If a kid got that on a plane I'd expect them to be making a lot of noise with the pain.
    Kids cry, flying sucks. It's boring, it hurts your ears, it can make you feel disorientated or clausterphobic. Kids get upset just like adults do. That's fair and reasonable to expect. They're human. 1 hr 45 mins of a meltdown (while not the child's fault) is unreasonable, I can only image stressful and irritating on all involved. Tolerance needed on both sides. People are not assholes for being annoyed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Honestly if a child, regardless of autistic or not, repeatedly kicked me, I wouldn't be long sorting them out and kicking them back.

If I witnessed an adult (any adult) kick a child (any child) regardless of the circumstances and/or relationship between adult and child I would become quite angry ......... me being angry, judging from past experiences, can result in an extremely volatile situation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement