Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids on Flights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Really? I thought it was much stricter than that these days. Schools can get snippy about it pretty quickly (and not wrongly either). If the school is notified beforehand that the child will be missing a few days at the start of term, I suppose it could be dealt with that way.

Still and all, there's no real reason to believe that the child's school -had- started back yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭caniask86

I drug myself so parents don't need to rear children with manners :D

Suppose that's why you go on stinking of alcohol too. It's one way for you and another for others. Screaming children isn't the only thing that can make a flight uncomfortable. I've sat beside people absolutely stinking of sweat and alcohol from a session the day before and felt like I was going to throw up, it was unbearable but good forbid if I told you not to get on a flight for the sake of others.

Samaris wrote: »
    Really? I thought it was much stricter than that these days. Schools can get snippy about it pretty quickly (and not wrongly either). If the school is notified beforehand that the child will be missing a few days at the start of term, I suppose it could be dealt with that way.

Still and all, there's no real reason to believe that the child's school -had- started back yet.

Someone asked this question on the Facebook post and she responded that her child wasn't in school till the following week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

caniask86 wrote: »
    Suppose that's why you go on stinking of alcohol too. It's one way for you and another for others. Screaming children isn't the only thing that can make a flight uncomfortable. I've sat beside people absolutely stinking of sweat and alcohol from a session the day before and felt like I was going to throw up, it was unbearable but good forbid if I told you not to get on a flight for the sake of others.
    Again, deflection. I can only discuss one issue at a time, and we haven't moved on from you holding the sentence where I said disabled children shouldn't leave the house. Please finish this task before moving on.

I hate flying, hate people and bold kids, and while I've encountered maybe two incidents that stand out in public transport I genuinely don't recall ever being bothered by a child on a flight. I have bigger fish to fry worrying about not being able to get out of the plane that a chatty/whingy child is far down my list of concerns. Though I do recall taking a flight from la to ny severely hungover if not still a bit **** faced and having a mam and dad with a baby sitting next to me. They apologised before even sitting down and I kind of felt bad for them, also I should have been the one apologising because I'd say the fumes of neat spirits off me was something to behold. Anyway, that's the closest I had to sit next to someone's child and don't remember being annoyed which TBH surprises me more because I'm annoyed about everything

There

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

Maybe a lot of people on that flight thought there would be only babies on the flights considering the schools were reopening if not on Thursday they certainly would be tomorrow?

If she has a four year old Autistic I doubt she would have the energy or time for homeschooling the 8 year old.

irishmoss wrote: »
    Maybe a lot of people on that flight thought there would be only babies on the flights considering the schools were reopening if not on Thursday they certainly would be tomorrow?

If she has a four year old Autistic I doubt she would have the energy or time for homeschooling the 8 year old.

It is quite possible to home school children who have Autism along side children who don't.

There
    No that's about drinking, that's not about me saying disabled kids belong at home. You need help with your reading Hun?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

If an airline had flights with no kids under 7 allowed they'd be fully booked every day, especially transatlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

Winterlong wrote: »
    In the UK yes, but not here as a general rule. It's frowned upon at best by the schools.
    If the kid misses 20 odd days in a year they start to get stroppy though.

Yeah, 20 days off in our kids primary school gets the parent a letter from (I think) the department of education. Otherwise no one seems to care. Our young lad was in junior infants last year and I couldn't believe the amount of days parents didn't bother showing up with their kids. 5 families in my lads class alone got letters.

• Advertisement

The parent had no right to try shame other people for not being enthralled with her child. Their reactions to her child's disruptive behaviour is their own personal reactions. She has no right to demand people show tolerance and not ask to be moved away because her child kicked off. I understand the child can't help it, that's fair enough but she put the child (for whatever reason, it doesn't matter) in a situation that was uncomfortable for everyone. At worst it was annoying, nobody died, nobody was injured, everyone will get over it, but to call for people NOT to show a reaction to a disturbance shows how intolerant of other people she is so it's very ironic she's pleading for tolerance

What do you mean by putting a child in a situation that was uncomfortable for every then? As in putting a child with special needs on a plane???

No that's about drinking, that's not about me saying disabled kids belong at home. You need help with your reading Hun?

Special needs children actually.

marcus001 wrote: »
    If an airline had flights with no kids under 7 allowed they'd be fully booked every day, especially transatlantic.

This is what people without children believe, it's not the reality though. If it was then an airline would have done it.

SteM wrote: »
    This is what people without children believe, it's not the reality though. If it was then an airline would have done it.

Wasn't there an article somewhere saying how the airlines were considering banning alcohol tho?

Candie wrote: »
    I'd rather be sat beside a child with some struggles than beside a grown adult who thinks the world should revolve around their comfort and that kids with needs should be kept apart from the rest of society.

Yeah... you talk a good game but I wonder how you'd feel when you're actually having someone else's kid scream in your ear.

That's because most airlines dont have the balls for the negative PR. If Ryanair ever do transatlantic flights I would bet good money they will do this.

That's because most airlines dont have the balls for the negative PR. If Ryanair ever do transatlantic flights I would bet good money they will do this.

Ryanair, the airline that maximize every cent they get from their client base. You really think they'd fly without under 7s? You're dreaming.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I was on a flight from Cardiff to Dublin one Sunday evening a few months back. In my vicinity was a baby and a tipsy guy.

When the plane pushed back, the baby started letting out a few little cries. Nothing major. Tipsy guy loudly starts complaining about the baby and how annoyed he was to have to be sitting near all that noise.

The baby then proceeded to quiet down again. Meanwhile Tipsy Joe was incredibly annoying on the flight, being really, really loud, far louder than the baby had ever been. Is there anything more irritating that drunkenness on public transport, especially transport with a completely captive audience? And this is something the adult can control. I'd say every flight attendant has plenty of exasperating stories to tell about drunkenness on their watch.

I don't understand blanket grousing about babies on flights. I understand annoyance at children past toddler age being allowed to run amok but babies and toddlers are different. Unless you can afford a private jet or they start chartering adult-only flights, you just have to suck it up and accept that humans of all sizes might be on your flight.

And with older children, how do you know there isn't some other issue going on like the child described in the OP? What, is that family never supposed to fly because of the child's autism?

I'll have you know that the vast majority of people who get drunk on planes just doze off halfway through and bother no one.

Yeah... you talk a good game but I wonder how you'd feel when you're actually having someone else's kid scream in your ear.

She uses earphones as she has said before.

I'll have you know that the vast majority of people who get drunk on planes just doze off halfway through and bother no one.

and most babies don't cry.

• Advertisement

Ryanair, the airline that maximize every cent they get from their client base. You really think they'd fly without under 7s? You're dreaming.

I never said they'd have every flight like that. I said one a day and it would be the first to fill up every time.

Actually, worse than screaming children and worse than tantruming adults (albeit only barely) is people eating cheese and onion crisps in a hot, enclosed space. Stinks, sets off my travel sickness and my inner rage demon boils away to itself, plotting all sorts of awful things to do to said crisp-muncher if only I could move without throwing up...

Actually, worse than screaming children and worse than tantruming adults (albeit only barely) is people eating cheese and onion crisps in a hot, enclosed space. Stinks, sets off my travel sickness and my inner rage demon boils away to itself, plotting all sorts of awful things to do to said crisp-muncher if only I could move without throwing up...

Smells are actually the worse thing about flying. I've a weak stomach too.

Smells are actually the worse thing about flying. I've a weak stomach too.

It's not something most people think about, I think. If they think at all about disruption, it's probably the noise of the crisp packet or something like that.

Not had an issue with it on flights at least (I don't tend to get air or seasick unless conditions are rough), but buses, oh god, buses. I've had to break trips and catch a later connection a few times because I just could not stay on the bus with the crisp-muncher without very likely vomiting profusely and that would not improve things for me or anyone else on the bus! :D

I never said they'd have every flight like that. I said one a day and it would be the first to fill up every time.

Yeah, that's not what you said.

It's not something most people think about, I think. If they think at all about disruption, it's probably the noise of the crisp packet or something like that.

Not had an issue with it on flights at least (I don't tend to get air or seasick unless conditions are rough), but buses, oh god, buses. I've had to break trips and catch a later connection a few times because I just could not stay on the bus with the crisp-muncher without very likely vomiting profusely and that would not improve things for me or anyone else on the bus! :D

I'm like that with BO I've hopped off many a bus early because I couldn't take it. I would be very bus sick and crisps send me over the edge too. It's the munching sounds too.

What do you mean by putting a child in a situation that was uncomfortable for every then? As in putting a child with special needs on a plane???
    So, are you trying to say "Lexie, my bad. I realise now after trawling through your posts that at no point have you ever said leave the kids at home." ?

Apology accepted. I don't hold grudges, I'm mature like that ;)

So, are you trying to say "Lexie, my bad. I realise now after trawling through your posts that at no point have you ever said leave the kids at home." ?

Apology accepted. I don't hold grudges, I'm mature like that ;)

"I understand the child can't help it, that's fair enough but she put the child (for whatever reason, it doesn't matter) in a situation that was uncomfortable for everyone. "

You mean to put a child on an airplane? shocking of the mother that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

"Halfway through" - so for half the time they are on the plane, they are not asleep? :)

I don't think you really know either what percentage of drunk people on planes go off to sleep either. And even if it's a majority, that minority can be very disruptive. Doesn't really matter if other drunk people are asleep, if some drunk people are causing disruption, now does it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

:D there's always a madder dog MD my good man

Tell me about it!!
    I've been stabbed 3 times, shot at and been beaten black & blue by a gang of lads more times than I care to remember ......... but that's the thing with having a ferocious temper, once you lose it all rationale goes out the window!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement