Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expressions you hate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Jarring

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

It would be rude not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I'm going for a poo.

My least favourite word is poo. I hate the connotations. When I hear that word, I can't help but visualise a half-filled cereal bowl of a chocolate mouse-like shit.

That annoys me too. A.A. Milne didn't write "Winnie the Shit", gods-dammit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

'troath' for throat

'thongue' for tongue

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

The amount of people who cant spell ''of'' is unbelievable

the cat is out off the bag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

"What are you reading?"

Would you fúck off, I'm trying to read.

12 year olds using black american slang like "woke" and "lit".

People trying to be funny by posting mathematical expressions in this thread but
    actually posting mathematical equations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Martina1991

When people comment about funny things saying

I cant breath
    I'm dead
    I died
    I'm screaming

No you're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,857 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

akelly02 wrote: »

Similarly, people who would of, could of, or should of done something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Hump day - hate it so so so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

jimgoose wrote: »
    Do ya know what I mean.

NO I DON'T ****ING KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN, YOU DON'T  KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN SO HOW THE **** WOULD I...

Scummy Idiotic saying. Drives me bonkers to hear it.

We're from Chountah Limerigg, junowhattamane?!? :D
    shockin' interestin' altogehhor 28 secs in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8fITzlPgA0

• Advertisement

twenty four seven and even worse adding 365
    lookit  usually gombeen politicians
    devastatin'
    how tipperary people cannot say junior/million or any word with a ion sound mill ee on  -  they say the junor team won a millon euro - no ee on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

optogirl wrote: »
    'troath' for throat

'thongue' for tongue

Why?
    Heighth another one. It's down to the idea that dropping aitches sounds "common" so they get added to places where they don't belong.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

i would of in stead of i would have

Similarly, people who would of, could of, or should of done something.
    you beat me to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

People who deliberately say "then" instead of "than" e.g. "that pint was better then the last one" - THAN you f*cking moron, THAN! But you know that already, you are just trying to be cool.

Any Marketing "lingo" or stealing of normal words as well as inventing words e.g. "actioning" - that's NOT a word!

Most recent annoying theft of the word "organic". :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

"On trend". Hate it so much. Just because an item of clothing is "on trend" doesn't mean it doesn't look hideous on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

you should of checked that before you typed it :mad:

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    People who deliberately say "then" instead of "than" e.g. "that pint was better then the last one" - THAN you f*cking moron, THAN! But you know that already, you are just trying to be cool...

...or South Efrican. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

People saying though instead of tough
    I've only heard Irish people guilty of this what the hell is a podato!!

eircom enquiries used to have a recording "all operators are currently ockipied" instead of occupied

anyways instead of anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    People who deliberately say "then" instead of "than" e.g. "that pint was better then the last one" - THAN you f*cking moron, THAN! But you know that already, you are just trying to be cool.

Any Marketing "lingo" or stealing of normal words as well as inventing words e.g. "actioning" - that's NOT a word!

Most recent annoying theft of the word "organic". :mad:

It's not theft, the increase in use is holistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Nuanced.

Everything is nuanced suddenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

"Hopefully" or "Mate":mad:

Shook
    Lit
    Low key and high key - which seem to be some sort of new "cool" descriptive coupling the young people are using
    All of the above sound fucking ridiculous in an Irish accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

I hate when people try to sound professional by saying they'll do xyz and 'revert back to you'. Firstly, the 'back' in that sentence is unnecessary, and secondly, 'revert' means 'to return to some earlier form/stage of'. Not to get back to someone.

Even more annoying is the fact that this incorrect usage has begun to be seen as correct usage. It's in a dictionary now.

Also hate 'for sh1ts and giggles'. What kind of a gross expression is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

"Surely", it's a display of total ignorance. I lose all respect for anybody who uses this condescending term.

_Roz_ wrote: »
    I hate when people try to sound professional by saying they'll do xyz and 'revert back to you'. Firstly, the 'back' in that sentence is unnecessary, and secondly, 'revert' means 'to return to some earlier form/stage of'. Not to get back to someone.

Even more annoying is the fact that this incorrect usage has begun to be seen as correct usage. It's in a dictionary now.

Also hate 'for sh1ts and giggles'. What kind of a gross expression is that?

You see that "revert" in law an awful lot - "we'll revert back to you". I think the overuse of it by solicitors may have contributed to it making its way into a dictionary.

erica74 wrote: »
    You see that "revert" in law an awful lot - "we'll revert back to you". I think the overuse of it by solicitors may have contributed to it making its way into a dictionary.

They love that sort of thing. They are long in the business of using verbosity and "clever"-sounding words and phrases to give the appearance of substance and intellectual gravitas to pure horsepuckey. :D

jimgoose wrote: »
    They love that sort of thing. They are long in the business of using verbosity and "clever"-sounding words and phrases to give the appearance of substance and intellectual gravitas to pure horsepuckey. :D

And it's funny that a lot of the larger firms are trying to get rid of the "fancy" terminology and just use plain English. It's the smaller firms who like to use the horsepuckey.

• Advertisement

erica74 wrote: »
    And it's funny that a lot of the larger firms are trying to get rid of the "fancy" terminology and just use plain English. It's the smaller firms who like to use the horsepuckey.

There's a chap near me in my part of town with a shiny suit, offices in an old falling-apart three-bed semi and his 93-year-old mother on the front desk. You should hear the reverting out of the eejit. :pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement