Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

atheists.. pee me off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I'm an atheist but the only time I ever bother to tell anyone about it is when one of those annoying Bible bashers corner me in public or call to my door.

If your rude enough to try and impose your beliefs on me without invitation, I'm coming back with both barrels blazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I get the feeling that utmbuilder has left the building, since he hasn't posted anything to the thread since his opening post ...

As many have observed, he's in a tough position, since he can't cite a single example of someone actually doing what he described.

I like to think he's subsequently reconsidered his position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Prickly Pete

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    In a country ruled by fear of burning in hell and being shunned by your community? Was never going to happen. The church ruled through fear and having hands in the Government, it's not as simple as standing up for the girl. Girls could be ordered to go to a laundry, or have you forgotten that?

The blame falls almost entirely on the church for what they said. I'm sorry, but if you don't think that you are delusional and are just trying to find a reason why the church shouldn't shoulder the blame.

People voted for the politicians who gave the church the power over and over again.

My grandparents would almost certainly allowed their daughters sent away if they got pregnant out of marriage.

People just don't want to admit that the people of this country allowed the church to exert the influence they had on society and it is the people of this country who should be blamed for allowing the church to have the power they had.

The church are to blame for doing what they did but they would not have been able to do what they did if the people of this country didn't let them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Advertisement

People voted for the politicians who gave the church the power over and over again.

My grandparents would almost certainly allowed their daughters sent away if they got pregnant out of marriage.

People just don't want to admit that the people of this country allowed the church to exert the influence they had on society and it is the people of this country who should be blamed for allowing the church to have the power they had.

The church are to blame for doing what they did but they would not have been able to do what they did if the people of this country didn't let them.

While I agree with this in principle, I think that culpability is a matter of degree and varies from person to person, time to time, and place to place.

I agree that today, given our generally higher level of education, and given everything we’ve learned in recent years about the church’s crimes, anyone who thinks they can blindly continue to follow all of the church’s teachings and public pronouncements simply isn’t thinking very clearly.

But consider the very different circumstance, for one example, of an illiterate farmer somewhere in the west of Ireland in the 1780s who was raised in this particularly toxic religious world. For him it was just the way the world was, and he’d no more imagine that things would be different than he’d imagine that day might not follow night.

What I’m saying is, with greater sophistication and experience goes greater ethical responsibility.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    So we can thank organised religion for one thing I suppose.

You can also thank organised religion for educating vast swathes of the developing world where no other organisation would educate the poor for free - well, in return for some indoctrination - but it's a small price when you consider what people gain from education.

I kind of agree with the OP on one point. I'm an atheist but it doesn't define me in the way it seems to define some. I have a lot of respect for many people I know to be highly intelligent, but who are people of faith. I don't agree with ridiculing or calling people stupid for having a religious belief system. Granted, religion doesn't affect my everyday life. I have little interest in discussing it (there isn't much to discuss when you have no belief in something), and I hate being preached to by the strident atheists as much as I do by the rigid theists.

Religion is responsible for a lot of ills in the world, but for the sake of balance it's worth noting the contributions of religious organisations, especially to educating the worlds poorest (you can argue about it's quality but I'm talking about people who'd have no education otherwise), providing free medical care through nursing orders and religious run hospitals throughout the world, and the scholarly pursuits of clergy supported by their organizations.

Three of the bravest and most remarkable people I've ever met were Catholic priests from Monrovia, who stayed put during the second Liberian civil war and faced down the kind of threats I can't even imagine, to protect the orphaned children thrust into their care long after all the NGO's and UN personnel had gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,743 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Academic wrote: »
    While I agree with this in principle, I think that culpability is a matter of degree and varies from person to person, time to time, and place to place.

But consider the very different circumstance, for one example, of an illiterate farmer somewhere in the west of Ireland in the 1780s who was raised in this particularly toxic religious world. For him it was just the way the world was, and he’d no more imagine that things would be different than he’d imagine that day might not follow night.

Except that there are stories of a few illiterate farmers who had the balls to stand up and say "no, not in my family". So we know that it could be done.

Aggressive athiesm is just another way to hide from the dark shadow on the collective psyche of this country .

Except that there are stories of a few illiterate farmers who had the balls to stand up and say "no, not in my family"[...]

Any that you could share?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

• Advertisement

gw80 wrote: »
    And don't forget those good monks at the buckfast monastery;)

Belgian Trappist beer. Mmmmmmmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I'm athiest. Not an athiest.

Or in your case maybe you're a dyslexic atheist and you don't believe in Dog.

Ironic to correct grammar with wrong spelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Candie wrote: »
    Three of the bravest and most remarkable people I've ever met were Catholic priests from Monrovia, who stayed put during the second Liberian civil war and faced down the kind of threats I can't even imagine, to protect the orphaned children thrust into their care long after all the NGO's and UN personnel had gone.

We're they great people because of religion? Or would they still have been great people if they never set foot in a church?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

I wasn't correcting grammar. I'm drunk in ibiza do I apologise for that. What I was trying to say was that I'm atheist, not an atheist. An atheist to me means that I'm part of some movement rather than an individual..

Huh? To you perhaps, but not to anyone else I know. :)

In any event, "atheist" is a noun, so "an atheist" is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Well OP you'd be better off if you were a real holy Joe, bc then your faith would be so strong that a non-believer would not bother you, you'd just pity them and pray for them.

But sure we're all just half arsed Catholics round here, that's the norm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Er...okay.

Do you break out in hives when an atheist is nearby or something? Not really sure how merely not believing in a god is so worthy of disapprobation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I wouldn't say bad people, probably the most boring imaginations in society though.

Most scientists (80% approx in the western world apparently) are athiest. Do these people have boring imaginations? If so, I'd prefer someone with a boring imagination who's contributing positively to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Academic wrote: »
    I don’t see the similarity.

“God exists” is an existence claim, and thus by definition empirical at its root.

“It’s wrong to eat animals” is a moral claim, necessarily contingent on some conceptually prior argument starting with an initial statement of ethical principle.

The only thing the two have in common is that they often annoy many of the same people. Which is rather telling, I think.
    To simplify it for you they both don't believe in something but can't stop talking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They receive a lot of state funding be it from priests automatically getting college chaplain jobs

Jaysus, are you serious? They restrict the job of chaplin to someone who studied and qualified as a priest???

Next you'll be telling me that they restrict the role of that fella in the student medical centre with the stethoscope around his neck, who tells people what medicine to take, to applicants who are qualified doctors.

Oh the humanity!

In all seriousness, what are you actually saying should be done? That colleges should hire atheists to be chaplains?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I wasn't correcting grammar. I'm drunk in ibiza do I apologise for that. What I was trying to say was that I'm atheist, not an atheist. An atheist to me means that I'm part of some movement rather than an individual..

You're in Ibiza and you logged into Boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Jaysus, are you serious? They restrict the job of chaplin to someone who studied and qualified as a priest???

Next you'll be telling me that they restrict the role of that fella in the student medical centre with the stethoscope around his neck, who tells people what medicine to take, to applicants who are qualified doctors.

Oh the humanity!

In all seriousness, what are you actually saying should be done? That colleges should hire atheists to be chaplains?

Good job showing your complete ignorance about the topic..... unsurprisingly your name fits your knowledge

You understand Chaplains can be of any faith and don't have to be catholic?

They can be Protestant, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Catholic etc. it doesn't matter.

The point the poster is making is that catholic priests always get these jobs above any other faiths

Sam Kade wrote: »
    To simplify it for you they both don't believe in something but can't stop talking about it.

And as I and others have observed, there's no reason why they should 'stop talking about it'. If that bothers other people, well, that's just tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm with the monkeys, they don't give a fcuk about any of that crap.

The Monkees on the other hand. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

I'm an atheist, and I've no problem with people believing what they want to. I also don't go round shouting about atheism, because I think it would be rude. However, I also find it immensely rude when I'm walking round Cork city and I see people reciting passages from the bible into microphones or gathering in Daunt Square in groups to say the Rosary around a statue of Mary. But at the very least, if they're allowed throw their beliefs in my face like that, I should be allowed to stand in the street and talk about atheism. Muslims should be allowed stand in the street and talk about Islam, or pray in public places like the Christians. That inequality annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I'm with the monkeys, they don't give a fcuk about any of that crap.

The Monkees on the other hand. . .

"Then I saw her face, now I'm a believer" :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

The simple fact is that as a non-Catholic parent of a non-Catholic child I am in fact subject to daily discrimination. There is no public secular schooling option in this country and even if there was it would amount to segregated education and my child being marked out as different in ways that he shouldn't be because we don't belong to the majority faith. I'm not particularly ok with being a discriminated against minority and I'm really, really not okay with my son being. And I get that it's hard for people to get their heads around the fact that people like me and my family are minorities being discriminated against. We tend to be, on average, well educated, middle-class people who live lives loaded with privilege. Most people look at us as kicking up a fuss and we tend to see ourselves that way and find it very difficult, often impossible, to ask for even our own children to be treated as equals in state institutions. Especially when we know that if they are treated as equals, they are held up as different in a social setting where it's very, very difficult to be different and increases the chances of the child being subject to social exclusion and bullying.

I see it all the time with parents forced to choose between baptism or not having a school place if their area is over-subscribed. Applying for school places for newborns if they are lucky enough to live near an ET that the commute is feasible. Then having to choose between a daily school commute to a school where their child will be closer to equal (but not necessarily equal as multi-dom rarely includes no religion) or letting their child go to the local school with their neighbourhood friends but where they will never be equal no matter how nicely they are treated. Choosing between whether to opt out of religion which isn't really possible due to the integrated curriculum or to just keep the head down and have their 4 year olds taught that you should let the stranger who visits you alone in bed at night do what they want to your body even if you are scared. Or maybe be told by the school that they have no right to remove them from religion even though that's unconstitutional, so they are forced through deceit or fear of repercussions if they fight it, to have their kids sit through learning other people's beliefs as facts. Or they have to fight and fight for their rights and even deal with teachers who out and out bully their kids and make them do all sorts of religious work that they know damn well their parents don't want them doing. It's ****ed up, it's not right and it's (part of) why so many of us are so pissed off and angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Thank God I'm an atheist.

I dunno. How many people do the church employ directly / indirectly.

Let's not try to damage an industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

_Roz_ wrote: »
    I'm an atheist, and I've no problem with people believing what they want to. I also don't go round shouting about atheism, because I think it would be rude. However, I also find it immensely rude when I'm walking round Cork city and I see people reciting passages from the bible into microphones or gathering in Daunt Square in groups to say the Rosary around a statue of Mary. But at the very least, if they're allowed throw their beliefs in my face like that, I should be allowed to stand in the street and talk about atheism. Muslims should be allowed stand in the street and talk about Islam, or pray in public places like the Christians. That inequality annoys me.

Nobody is stopping muslims doing anything, in fact we have a Government who seems to be falling over itself trying to accommodate them.

• Advertisement

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I dunno. How many people do the church employ directly / indirectly.

Let's not try to damage an industry.

Depends on the industry, surely.

Advertisement