Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfriendly Neighbours

Options
  • 19-08-2017 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

we have a new family just moved in next door to us (God help em :D ) - been there a couple of weeks. If we are are the front on the drive we have been saying a friendly "Hi, how are ye" or nodding our heads or smiling towards them .. but we are getting no recognition back , no smiles, no hellos - nothing. Feels very one sided and weird.

With the previous neighbours there we were always saying hi to eachother and chatting over the wall about this and that and smiled at each other if anyone was out there.

How do we play it now? - its a bit silly being friendly to them and getting no kind of feedback whatsover. Do we take it from this that they want to be left alone and not even try anymore? - maybe they are just private people and want their privacy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

There is a difference between being private and being a d!ck. I'm a private person who isn't really into the whole chatting over the wall with my neighbours but if I pass them going in or out or in the garden Ill always pass myself, wave and say a few words. I never ever understood why people have to be rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

we have a new family just moved in next door to us (God help em :D ) - been there a couple of weeks. If we are are the front on the drive we have been saying a friendly "Hi, how are ye" or nodding our heads or smiling towards them .. but we are getting no recognition back , no smiles, no hellos - nothing. Feels very one sided and weird.

With the previous neighbours there we were always saying hi to eachother and chatting over the wall about this and that and smiled at each other if anyone was out there.

How do we play it now? - its a bit silly being friendly to them and getting no kind of feedback whatsover. Do we take it from this that they want to be left alone and not even try anymore? - maybe they are just private people and want their privacy?

As long as they are quiet then you are lucky as the 7th son of a 7th son. Bonus that they don't want to talk. Cuts out the inane chitchat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Maybe they know you from here OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Maybe your previous neighbours left a note: Don't start talking to those feckers next door, you'll never shut them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Andy , my own two cents my give you some perspective, I'm also going to call you Dave in my post .
    You'll see why later.

I live in a fairly well to do area on a road with largish sized three bed houses and directly across from my house is a development of four bed houses , part of the same estate.Are you with me , Dave ?

Anyhow I'm the type of guy who one day might drive to work or another day might bus it , as it happened one day I said hello to one of four bed neighbours at the bus stop and he blanked me completely despite living across from me for 10 plus years.

Ok says I , bad night maybe or his wife in the blob, who knows .
    Happened a few more times that spring top.

Time passed , the swallows swooped and summer arrived and one evening my doorbell rang.
    I answered my door and there was **** Andy my crossroad neighbour and fellow commuter.

Off he went on a spiel about wanting to develop a community spirit and his plan was to have a collection for a barbecue, I loudly announced I'd never seen him before and closed the door.

Most likely its not you Dave , you're probably fairly decent but unfortunately there's knobs everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Maybe they don't want to get too close because the last neighbours they had all died and that's why they moved because of the trauma.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Witness protection.

Witness protection.

From Jehovah's?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Reminds of Steve and Rachel or Rachel and Steve!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭gifted

Go introduce yourself one evening....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I make sure to waive at everyone on the road. But the sad truth is I never even bothered to remember how some of the next door neighbors look like. I might be polite in the neighborhood but if I met them in the town I wouldn't even recognize them.

But I also remember when I was younger wondering where an elderly neighbor is. She was dead for couple of years and I must have gone at least to wake if not to funeral. Country life is great for community spirit. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Wait till they're all home, let yourself in, drop the kaks and plant a log in in the centre of the living room floor, guaranteed to get a reaction then Andy...

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Wait till they're all home, let yourself in, drop the kaks and plant a log in in the centre of the living room floor, guaranteed to get a reaction then Andy...
    And heres me thinking the dog had done it.hope that new sitting room carpet of yours doesnt stain easy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

maybe the two piebalds in the front garden distracted them

• Registered Users Posts: 22,106 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Maybe they know you from here OP.
    :)

Yeah, maybe they heard you had a rep for starting long, boring conversations. They have you on Ignore. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Andy , my own two cents my give you some perspective, I'm also going to call you Dave in my post .
    You'll see why later.

I live in a fairly well to do area on a road with largish sized three bed houses and directly across from my house is a development of four bed houses , part of the same estate.Are you with me , Dave ?

Anyhow I'm the type of guy who one day might drive to work or another day might bus it , as it happened one day I said hello to one of four bed neighbours at the bus stop and he blanked me completely despite living across from me for 10 plus years.

Ok says I , bad night maybe or his wife in the blob, who knows .
    Happened a few more times that spring top.

Time passed , the swallows swooped and summer arrived and one evening my doorbell rang.
    I answered my door and there was **** Andy my crossroad neighbour and fellow commuter.

Off he went on a spiel about wanting to develop a community spirit and his plan was to have a collection for a barbecue, I loudly announced I'd never seen him before and closed the door.

Most likely its not you Dave , you're probably fairly decent but unfortunately there's knobs everywhere.

Lovely ditty that - nearly bought a tear to me eye so it did .. nearly!

kylith wrote: »
    Maybe your previous neighbours left a note: Don't start talking to those feckers next door, you'll never shut them up.

yep, thats what it was :D

fatknacker wrote: »
    Maybe they don't want to get too close because the last neighbours they had all died and that's why they moved because of the trauma.

Feck! - mind you saying that , since they have moved in my health has deteriorated somewhat :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I'd say hello to most of my neighbours, some are weird and others unfriendly and never acknowledge me. Though I've lived in the same place for 13 years I don't know any of them particularly well.

well the most strangest of feckin things - about half an hour i was clearing rubbish from the car on the way back to the front door the lady of the house came out and I done me normal lunatic wave and a smile , not expectin nothing back and she only feckin' smiled - maybe we have progress!

I mean I dont want to have a meaninful relationship wiv any of em or babies with any of them but if they give me just a smile once in a while I can live with that - dont feel such a loon now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,106 ✭✭✭✭Esel

They are lurking in this thread - it's the only logical explanation.

Not your ornery onager

well the most strangest of feckin things - about half an hour i was clearing rubbish from the car on the way back to the front door the lady of the house came out and I done me normal lunatic wave and a smile , not expectin nothing back and she only feckin' smiled - maybe we have progress!

I mean I dont want to have a meaninful relationship wiv any of em or babies with any of them but if they give me just a smile once in a while I can live with that - dont feel such a loon now

We're you clearing the rubbish from her car ?

That's 'cause they're on boards ya feckin' eejit!!!:p

Edit:beaten to it by Esel.

Esel wrote: »
    They are lurking in this thread - it's the only logical explanation.

i was thinking that - bloody massive coincidence on the same day I post this it does a complete 360 ! :eek:

Sh!t I WAS :eek: - are you my neighbours? - er welcome to the area! :o

Ahhahahahaha!

Sh!t I WAS :eek: - are you my neighbours? - er welcome to the area! :o

Dave, see what happens when you confuse boards with make believe .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Shítesville - how do you feckin delete a thread on this bleeding thing! :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

That's not true. I get on great with the lad's who live either side of me. Buddy and Pal.

Advertisement