Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfriendly Neighbours

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

No. Suspect Buddy works in IT, and Pal has the cut of a secondary school teacher - mustard slacks, Dubarry shoes, sports coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

We're you clearing the rubbish from her car ?

No, he was clearing rubbish from his own car that the neighbour had left in it from the time when they were dogging with the Labradors.

Think the said Car is up for sale

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

i was thinking that - bloody massive coincidence on the same day I post this it does a complete 360 ! :eek:

You mean you're back where you started? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

quickbeam wrote: »

no, I meant they have gone right from ignoring our friendly waves and smiles to smiling , well the lady has - I dunno about her partner / husband / live in lover (cross out whats not applicable)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

A couple of years ago the neighbour beside my house was having parties every weekend. At 3.00 AM one night she or one of her guests threw an egg at my window. A couple of weeks later there was a bang on my door at about the same time. I answered it and one of her drunken party guests stood there saying nothing. He then tried to walk past me. I shouted at him "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?". He said "do I have the wrong house?". I said "yes" and almost sent him flying across the road with the force I closed the door in his face.

She eventually got kicked out after another of my neighbours complained about the noise. Now There's 'settled travellers' living there. I was coming out of my house one night and heard the woman talking on the phone at the top of her voice. I glanced at the house for a second then went on my way. I then encountered the womans daughter walking towards me who shouted "DON'T BE EAVESDROPPING, THAT'S A BAD THING TO DO".

She wasn't so concerned about her privacy when she thought the mother had commited suicide and the fire brigade were trying to get over my wall to access her house (it turned out she was asleep in bed or something).

Now the house at the other side of my house is being rented by a couple who shout at each other at the top of their voices into the early hours of the morning. And the 'settled travellers' are still there.

I'd gladly swap neighbours with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

No. Suspect Buddy works in IT, and Pal has the cut of a secondary school teacher - mustard slacks, Dubarry shoes, sports coat.

Buddy

1iud7b.jpg

Pal

dog-teaching-class-HERO.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Dave, see what happens when you confuse boards with make believe .

Be careful what you wish for. It's only a matter of hours now Dave, before this happens:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

"Dave's not here."

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

I've got the stuff ....!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

quickbeam wrote: »
    no, I meant they have gone right from ignoring our friendly waves and smiles to smiling , well the lady has - I dunno about her partner / husband / live in lover (cross out whats not applicable)

Whoosh!!!!!

hahaha. Fair play Andy, its nice to be nice. Just be yourself, if they can't reciprocate, so what. You're the nice guy.

BTW - complete 180.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Hey all, I just moved into a new house and my weirdo neighbour is always trying to chat.
    I tried blanking him but he keeps on smiling and nodding everytime I see him.
    I think he needs professional help.
    Poor creature.

Your Face wrote: »
    Hey all, I just moved into a new house and my weirdo neighbour is always trying to chat.
    Poor creature.

try a 360

Strangely enough, I have a far better relationship with my dublin neighbours than our neighbours down home in the countryside, where people usually assume neighbours always get on.

we are cursed with unfriendly neighbours at home. There are two in particular.

On one side, our farm is adjacent to their private roadway. To enter one of our fields, you have to drive about 20m up their road and turn into that field.

One day, my brother is coming home on the narrow roadway with a trailer of lambs. He meets Mrs Neighbour in the opposite direction, and he's driving a trailer so can't really reverse. She doesn't want to reverse, for whatever reason so she screams at him "Go back, it's not an Artic lorry you're driving!". So he turns off the engine, picks up the Indo, and starts reading it until she reverses in a huff.

The next day, our gateway was filled-in using a JCB, and they've never spoken to us since. It's been about 15 years. Cue a long series of nasty gestures and activities that I won't get into here.

The other neighbours are a Dublin family who relocated to the countryside. We began grazing in a field that attaches to their property, and the Mum asked us to stop because her kids were afraid of the bull. We were like, 'eh, no, we can't just stop using that field..?' and ever since they've been giving us the cold shoulder. The kids used to come over and help out on the farm on weekends, lovely kids, but now they've been stopped from doing that by their mum.

It confuses me when rural neighbours, in particular, can't make some effort to avoid trouble. This are people you see every day and you never know when you might need someone to help with something, whether it's keeping an eye on your property, or giving you a lift to town, or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,310 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Could the neighbours be deaf?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Selective hearing maybe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Strangely enough, I have a far better relationship with my dublin neighbours than our neighbours down home in the countryside, where people usually assume neighbours always get on.

we are cursed with unfriendly neighbours at home. There are two in particular.

On one side, our farm is adjacent to their private roadway. To enter one of our fields, you have to drive about 20m up their road and turn into that field.

One day, my brother is coming home on the narrow roadway with a trailer of lambs. He meets Mrs Neighbour in the opposite direction, and he's driving a trailer so can't really reverse. She doesn't want to reverse, for whatever reason so she screams at him "Go back, it's not an Artic lorry you're driving!". So he turns off the engine, picks up the Indo, and starts reading it until she reverses in a huff.

The next day, our gateway was filled-in using a JCB, and they've never spoken to us since. It's been about 15 years. Cue a long series of nasty gestures and activities that I won't get into here.

The other neighbours are a Dublin family who relocated to the countryside. We began grazing in a field that attaches to their property, and the Mum asked us to stop because her kids were afraid of the bull. We were like, 'eh, no, we can't just stop using that field..?' and ever since they've been giving us the cold shoulder. The kids used to come over and help out on the farm on weekends, lovely kids, but now they've been stopped from doing that by their mum.

It confuses me when rural neighbours, in particular, can't make some effort to avoid trouble. This are people you see every day and you never know when you might need someone to help with something, whether it's keeping an eye on your property, or giving you a lift to town, or whatever.

I'm from the country and sometimes hear similar stories of feuding neighbours, usually over right's of way and boundarys. Not that common thankfully.

Your Face wrote: »
    Poor creature.

hello Neighbour - no need to be afraid, I is just being friendly :) - I dont wanna bed you or anything ....

mr mrs think they could be shy, .. I am a bit shy (stop laughing!) .. but at least I nod or smile ... or do a hand gesture! ;)

uh oh??

You could have said "wave" , but instead you said "hand gesture". May I suggest sticking to a friendly wave:D:D;)

• Advertisement

uh oh??

You could have said "wave" , but instead you said "hand gesture". May I suggest sticking to a friendly wave:D:D;)

.... you may suggest anything you like .. we are all adults here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,310 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Call over with a basket of muffins and ask them to drop the baskets back as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,745 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It seems to me Andy, he knows your trying to get into his wife.

And she appears to have kinda come around to the idea.

Progress you've made there.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A couple of years ago the neighbour beside my house was having parties every weekend. At 3.00 AM one night she or one of her guests threw an egg at my window. A couple of weeks later there was a bang on my door at about the same time. I answered it and one of her drunken party guests stood there saying nothing. He then tried to walk past me. I shouted at him "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?". He said "do I have the wrong house?". I said "yes" and almost sent him flying across the road with the force I closed the door in his face.

She eventually got kicked out after another of my neighbours complained about the noise. Now There's 'settled travellers' living there. I was coming out of my house one night and heard the woman talking on the phone at the top of her voice. I glanced at the house for a second then went on my way. I then encountered the womans daughter walking towards me who shouted "DON'T BE EAVESDROPPING, THAT'S A BAD THING TO DO".

She wasn't so concerned about her privacy when she thought the mother had commited suicide and the fire brigade were trying to get over my wall to access her house (it turned out she was asleep in bed or something).

Now the house at the other side of my house is being rented by a couple who shout at each other at the top of their voices into the early hours of the morning. And the 'settled travellers' are still there.

I'd gladly swap neighbours with you.
    Now settled travellers are easy to get rid of.
    Their weakness is that they're all superstitious.
    I had some next door years ago. Nice enough but very noisy and drew a bad crowd into the area at all hours.
    After about 4/5 weeks i met their teenage daughter on the street and i asked her if anyone in the house had seen the "lady on the stairs". She asked me what i meant and i told her that the last tenants had left in a big hurry in the middle of the night when they saw "the lady on the stairs". I said that i heard there had been a woman murdered there years before and she often appeared on the stairs.
    They were gone in less than a week.

I had some next door years ago. Nice enough but very noisy and drew a bad crowd into the area at all hours.
    After about 4/5 weeks i met their teenage daughter on the street and i asked her if anyone in the house had seen the "lady on the stairs". She asked me what i meant and i told her that the last tenants had left in a big hurry in the middle of the night when they saw "the lady on the stairs". I said that i heard there had been a woman murdered there years before and she often appeared on the stairs.

should try that one when they set up on a bit of waste land - say "a farmer in a tractor met a bit of a unfortunate ending in his tractor on that land, and is still hanging around .."

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

They are probably just jealous at your DVD player as opposed to their humble VCR...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Just give them another chance. Maybe they are nice people and were having a bad day. Next time you see them give them your best smile and a wave.

If that dosnt work and they still dont respond then put rocks through their house windows and burn out their car on the driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

It's clear that they've been reading your boards posting history and are trying to sell the house as we speak.

It's clear that they've been reading your boards posting history and are trying to sell the house as we speak.

it would be bloody difficult , its not theirs to sell - its a council house :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I must really hang onto that. Since ive bought my house its been my biggest fear that a bunch of scumbags would move in next door. We have a halting site not to far away either.

Dont think im in any danger yet though. Both my neighbours own their houses and wont be moving anytime soon. Apart from one who is old enough he might just die!

Advertisement