Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wrongly fined €150 for illegal dumping

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

FelchWivMe wrote: »
    You're so judgemental it's hilarious and sickening in equal measure. Sitting behind a keyboard makes you judge, jury and executioner, eh?

and your username is both hilarious and sickening in equal measure :rolleyes:

Judgemental, what does the OP expect, he has dropped his mother in it by being lazy.
    Hark back to the OP's opening paragraph

"We availed of a 'classified' ad in Northside People in April for someone to come and fix a gutter issue where birds were nesting."

Note he wrote "We", the OAP was not taken for a ride but the OP himself. His mother probably thought getting the attic cleared for €200 was a good deal, without thinking that the cowboys would dump illegally, not her fault, but she would never have met these people only for her son. There is a reason why builder, electricians, Plumbers etc are or become registered, it is so that there is a comeback for the client. the son took the cheap option for his mother and now she is paying for his mistake. the OP needs to take it on the chin, pay the fine for his mother and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Do you actually think that an acceptable way to work?
    Yep
    Once the jobsworth in the council has "a name" to fill into the form, then that's their job done.
    The b*stards how dear they do what they're paid to do.
    I could print your address on a letter and dump it, and you get a fine. Foolproof, another good job done by the council.

So now you suggest the council engage in fraud?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

They find rubbish with post or official documents with names and addresses inside they issue a fine to the addressee. There's no way out of it pay the fine and make sure anyone taking rubbish in future has a permit. BTW someone had to clean all that rubbish up its not free.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dr Ben

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Of course it does, the OP can dispute the fine in court if he wishes that option is open to him. The council found his details in dumped rubbish, they have identified him as an illegal dumper and issued a fine. It's up to the OP to prove he's not an illegal dumper. Simple really.

So the OP is guilty until he can prove hes innocent.

It should be up to the court to prove he dumped the rubbish before any fines are given out.

Dr Ben wrote:
    So the OP is guilty until he can prove hes innocent.
    The litter act makes that assumption not me.
    Dr Ben wrote:
    It should be up to the court to prove he dumped the rubbish before any fines are given out.

Nah much better and cost effective the way it is.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

and your username is both hilarious and sickening in equal measure :rolleyes:

Yours should be <Mod:snip>
    So the cowboy builder is alright and can continue, since the incompetent gombeens at the council won't bother their hole going after them?

OP, don't listen to <Mod:snip> on the internet, contact the gards and a solicitor.

OP, don't listen to **** and gobsh*tes on the internet, contact the gards and a solicitor.

Or read the litter act, might save him the cost of a solicitor and a larger fine.
    Even **** and gobsh*tes know stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭kirving

The b*stards how dear they do what they're paid to do.

Clearly, and not a tap more. God forbid they actually did a bit of work rather than blindly issue fines.

For what it's worth, I think the OP should certainly be cautioned by the council against using unregistered waste collectors.

I think the last thing the OP or his mother were concerned about with 5 men at the door would be their waste disposal licence.

Clearly, and not a tap more. God forbid they actually did a bit of work rather than blindly issue fines.

They found the OP's name amongst dumped rubbish and attributed it to him. This proves they did do a bit of work, as for blindly issue how so? Even the OP has admitted it was his.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

They found the OP's name amongst dumped rubbish and attributed it to him. This proves they did do a bit of work, as for blindly issue how so? Even the OP has admitted it was his.

The problem is that the cowboy can carry on illegally dumping rubbish because the council don't care.

• Advertisement

The problem is that the cowboy can carry on illegally dumping rubbish because the council don't care.

Not if people stop using him to remove their rubbish. Phonebook is full of rubbish removal companies with their waste permit number on display. Use a licensed operator no problems.
    The fact the council issues fines to illegal dumpers when they can find them disproves the last part of your comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,568 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

They have no morals these scammers. An old lady close to me was duped into having a small drive power washed. It's only big enough to hold a car, and for me took as look as washing a car to power wash it, yet they demanded 500 euros for the 15 mins.

Yours should be Royal Twat
    So the cowboy builder is alright and can continue, since the incompetent gombeens at the council won't bother their hole going after them?

OP, don't listen to **** and gobsh*tes on the internet, contact the gards and a solicitor.

Maybe you should look up what his name means, or maybe you already know and are into that kind of thing :rolleyes:

By the way the council would go after them if they left their name and details in the rubbish. by the way great advice to the OP, get him to waste more money to a solicitor and talk to the Garda who might/might not laugh at his stupidity.

You also seem to be missing the point that he drew these fkucers on his own mother, probably to save money !!

stupidity.

You also seem to be missing the point that he drew these fkucers on his own mother, probably to save money !!

Since when was trying to save money a crime ?

They have no morals these scammers. An old lady close to me was duped into having a small drive power washed. It's only big enough to hold a car, and for me took as look as washing a car to power wash it, yet they demanded 500 euros for the 15 mins.

Another thing to remember about these people that if you turn them down they can get very aggressive.

Its no wonder old people are afraid of them.

Dr Ben wrote:

Its not, but you tend to get what you pay for. The OP should not have allowed this chancer remove anything before he saw his waste permit licence.

Dr Ben wrote: »

When you use illegal methods to dispose of your waste

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

When you use illegal methods to dispose of your disposal
    This is incredible, a supposed licenced operator can get away with industrialised pollution: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/donegal-refuse-collector-a-serial-environmental-offender-1.3081208 while a clearly distressed poster is getting read the riot act for having some people paid to take care of rubbish. Should we have the 30% or so of people In Donegal who still use Ferry's to be given a clap on the back for using a "licenced operator"?

The law squarely punishes individuals with fixed penalty notices and yet the law, local authorities and courts are both ineffective and offer risible punishments to mass-scale violations.

I'm also surprised that people on this forum of all places would take this line...

This is incredible, a supposed licenced operator can get away with industrialised pollution (
    Link doesn't work.
    while a clearly distressed poster is getting read the riot act for having some people paid to take care of rubbish. Should we have the 30% or so of people In Donegal who still use Ferry's to be given a clap on the back for using a "licenced operator"?
    So the use of a Ferry is somehow similar to illegal dumping, explain please
    The law squarely punishes individuals with fixed penalty notices and yet the law, local authorities and courts are both ineffective and offer risible punishments to mass-scale violations.
    You are required to be responsible with the disposal of waste. The fine is for irresponsibility.

I'm also surprised that people on this forum of all places would take this line...

Why because you feel everyone should agree with the OP, differing opinions upset you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Because an old woman has been ripped off by cowboy buliders and now the council want to fine her for something she didnt do.

the facts of the matter are:
    A person used an unlicensed waste contractor to dispose of their waste, and it ended up as litter. With evidence linking the litter to the person.

What is it you think that she didn't do?
    What she didn't do, is use a licensed waste disposal contractor to remover her/OP's waste.

but...but...she didn't put it where the "jobsworth" from the Council found it?. Is this the sum of your argument?

Its a very simple concept:
    the onus is on you to ensure your waste is disposed of properly.
    Not to do so is an offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Its not, but you tend to get what you pay for. The OP should not have allowed this chancer remove anything before he saw his waste permit licence.
    Cop the fcuk on, will you? Five men (I'm guessing travelers from their opious moandi) took what they wanted whilst the OP wasn't there.
    OP was looking for a cheap option of doing work on his mothers house instead of looking up a guttering expert or a registered builder
    Are you saying that that builders don't also advertise their services in the Northside People?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

paulb06 wrote: »
    The issue I have is that he emptied our attic out of the stuff that was up there (old stuff that we never threw out, black bags) - my mam didn't know all my personal stuff was there either, he put them all in his truck (after leaving and coming back with 4 other men)
    Basically, five men stole everything in the OP's attic, and now the OP was gotten fined for the pleasure.

the facts of the matter are:
    A person used an unlicensed waste contractor to dispose of their waste, and it ended up as litter. With evidence linking the litter to the person.

What is it you think that she didn't do?
    What she didn't do, is use a licensed waste disposal contractor to remover her/OP's waste.

but...but...she didn't put it where the "jobsworth" from the Council found it?. Is this the sum of your argument?

Its a very simple concept:
    the onus is on you to ensure your waste is disposed of properly.
    Not to do so is an offence.

An elderly woman was taking advantage of yet they they fine her instead of going after the scumbags that ripped her off.

Sure Ireland is a great little country to be a criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You paid 200 for the work done.

It would cost you 150 or more for a skip.

Fine is for 150.

I don't see where the problem is tbh

the_syco wrote: »
    Basically, five men stole everything in the OP's attic, and now the OP was gotten fined for the pleasure.

So 5 (five) men, possibly travellers, but not confirmed, stole everything in the OP's attic and instead of going to the Garda and reporting the theft, he comes on here giving out about a fine for illegal dumping. P.S. He has the phone details of the "contractor" do why not contact the Gaurds?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

the_syco wrote: »
    Cop the fcuk on, will you? Five men (I'm guessing travelers from their opious moandi) took what they wanted whilst the OP wasn't there.

Is that a new thing now? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Appeal the fine setting out the circumstances. There is always an appeal process. Report the incident to the gardai giving as much info as possible.
    Include that fact in your written appeal. Of course leaving it so long until you got the fine seems rather strange ..if you were that concerned about your mother the matter should have been reported immediately.
    Makes me wonder. Chances of success ..50/50.

Appeal the fine setting out the circumstances. There is always an appeal process. Report the incident to the gardai giving as much info as possible.
    Include that fact in your written appeal. Of course leaving it so long until you got the fine seems rather strange ..if you were that concerned about your mother the matter should have been reported immediately.
    Makes me wonder. Chances of success ..50/50.

exactly, i feel sorry for his mother not him, he was looking for a cheap way to clear rubbish out of his mother attic and it backfired.

the_syco wrote:

So instead of moaning here how come he hasn't reported them for theft?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

An elderly woman was taking advantage of yet they they fine her instead of going after the scumbags that ripped her off.

Sure Ireland is a great little country to be a criminal.

ideally they can get the scum bags using the flyer the OP availed of.
    from my reading of it, the OP was fined, not the little old lady.

we're still left, how ever distasteful, with the fact that the OP/mother used an unlicensed waste disposal contractor because they were cheap. A legit waste contractor would be more expensive, because the waste is disposed of properly. The chickens are well and truly home and roosting.

everything was hunky dory since April, OP got his work done cheap, and despite the hassling, intimidation, seemed quite happy to not report the scumbags to the AGS, and let other fall foul of them. "sure I'm all right Jack"
    But, here we are in July, and now that it has blown up in his face, suddenly there's a brouhaha about these scammers threatening and intimidation his old dear. TBH, if I thought my old dear was threatened/intimidated by trades me , Boards wouldnt be my first port of call. 3 months later.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement