Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Wrongly fined €150 for illegal dumping

135

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭ Royal Legend


    FelchWivMe wrote: »
    You're so judgemental it's hilarious and sickening in equal measure. Sitting behind a keyboard makes you judge, jury and executioner, eh?

    and your username is both hilarious and sickening in equal measure :rolleyes:

    Judgemental, what does the OP expect, he has dropped his mother in it by being lazy.
    Hark back to the OP's opening paragraph

    "We availed of a 'classified' ad in Northside People in April for someone to come and fix a gutter issue where birds were nesting."

    Note he wrote "We", the OAP was not taken for a ride but the OP himself. His mother probably thought getting the attic cleared for €200 was a good deal, without thinking that the cowboys would dump illegally, not her fault, but she would never have met these people only for her son. There is a reason why builder, electricians, Plumbers etc are or become registered, it is so that there is a comeback for the client. the son took the cheap option for his mother and now she is paying for his mistake. the OP needs to take it on the chin, pay the fine for his mother and move on.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ Hitman3000


    Do you actually think that an acceptable way to work?
    Yep
    Once the jobsworth in the council has "a name" to fill into the form, then that's their job done.
    The b*stards how dear they do what they're paid to do.
    I could print your address on a letter and dump it, and you get a fine. Foolproof, another good job done by the council.

    So now you suggest the council engage in fraud?


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭ screamer


    They find rubbish with post or official documents with names and addresses inside they issue a fine to the addressee. There's no way out of it pay the fine and make sure anyone taking rubbish in future has a permit. BTW someone had to clean all that rubbish up its not free.


  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭✭ Dr Ben


    Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Of course it does, the OP can dispute the fine in court if he wishes that option is open to him. The council found his details in dumped rubbish, they have identified him as an illegal dumper and issued a fine. It's up to the OP to prove he's not an illegal dumper. Simple really.


    So the OP is guilty until he can prove hes innocent.

    It should be up to the court to prove he dumped the rubbish before any fines are given out.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ Hitman3000


    Dr Ben wrote:
    So the OP is guilty until he can prove hes innocent.
    The litter act makes that assumption not me.
    Dr Ben wrote:
    It should be up to the court to prove he dumped the rubbish before any fines are given out.

    Nah much better and cost effective the way it is.


  • Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭ dr.fuzzenstein


    and your username is both hilarious and sickening in equal measure :rolleyes:

    Yours should be <Mod:snip>
    So the cowboy builder is alright and can continue, since the incompetent gombeens at the council won't bother their hole going after them?

    OP, don't listen to <Mod:snip> on the internet, contact the gards and a solicitor.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ Hitman3000


    OP, don't listen to **** and gobsh*tes on the internet, contact the gards and a solicitor.


    Or read the litter act, might save him the cost of a solicitor and a larger fine.
    Even **** and gobsh*tes know stuff.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭ kirving


    Hitman3000 wrote: »


    The b*stards how dear they do what they're paid to do.

    Clearly, and not a tap more. God forbid they actually did a bit of work rather than blindly issue fines.

    For what it's worth, I think the OP should certainly be cautioned by the council against using unregistered waste collectors.

    I think the last thing the OP or his mother were concerned about with 5 men at the door would be their waste disposal licence.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ Hitman3000


    Clearly, and not a tap more. God forbid they actually did a bit of work rather than blindly issue fines.


    They found the OP's name amongst dumped rubbish and attributed it to him. This proves they did do a bit of work, as for blindly issue how so? Even the OP has admitted it was his.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭ dr.fuzzenstein


    Hitman3000 wrote: »
    They found the OP's name amongst dumped rubbish and attributed it to him. This proves they did do a bit of work, as for blindly issue how so? Even the OP has admitted it was his.

    The problem is that the cowboy can carry on illegally dumping rubbish because the council don't care.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ Hitman3000


    The problem is that the cowboy can carry on illegally dumping rubbish because the council don't care.


    Not if people stop using him to remove their rubbish. Phonebook is full of rubbish removal companies with their waste permit number on display. Use a licensed operator no problems.
    The fact the council issues fines to illegal dumpers when they can find them disproves the last part of your comment.


  • Registered Users Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭ BorneTobyWilde


    They have no morals these scammers. An old lady close to me was duped into having a small drive power washed. It's only big enough to hold a car, and for me took as look as washing a car to power wash it, yet they demanded 500 euros for the 15 mins.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭ Royal Legend


    Yours should be Royal Twat
    So the cowboy builder is alright and can continue, since the incompetent gombeens at the council won't bother their hole going after them?

    OP, don't listen to **** and gobsh*tes on the internet, contact the gards and a solicitor.

    Maybe you should look up what his name means, or maybe you already know and are into that kind of thing :rolleyes:

    By the way the council would go after them if they left their name and details in the rubbish. by the way great advice to the OP, get him to waste more money to a solicitor and talk to the Garda who might/might not laugh at his stupidity.

    You also seem to be missing the point that he drew these fkucers on his own mother, probably to save money !!


  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭✭ Dr Ben


    stupidity.

    You also seem to be missing the point that he drew these fkucers on his own mother, probably to save money !!


    Since when was trying to save money a crime ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭✭ Dr Ben


    They have no morals these scammers. An old lady close to me was duped into having a small drive power washed. It's only big enough to hold a car, and for me took as look as washing a car to power wash it, yet they demanded 500 euros for the 15 mins.

    Another thing to remember about these people that if you turn them down they can get very aggressive.

    Its no wonder old people are afraid of them.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ Hitman3000


    Dr Ben wrote:
    Since when was trying to save money a crime ?


    Its not, but you tend to get what you pay for. The OP should not have allowed this chancer remove anything before he saw his waste permit licence.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭ Royal Legend


    Dr Ben wrote: »
    Since when was trying to save money a crime ?

    When you use illegal methods to dispose of your waste


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭ lucernarian


    When you use illegal methods to dispose of your disposal
    This is incredible, a supposed licenced operator can get away with industrialised pollution: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/donegal-refuse-collector-a-serial-environmental-offender-1.3081208 while a clearly distressed poster is getting read the riot act for having some people paid to take care of rubbish. Should we have the 30% or so of people In Donegal who still use Ferry's to be given a clap on the back for using a "licenced operator"?

    The law squarely punishes individuals with fixed penalty notices and yet the law, local authorities and courts are both ineffective and offer risible punishments to mass-scale violations.


    I'm also surprised that people on this forum of all places would take this line...


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ Hitman3000


    This is incredible, a supposed licenced operator can get away with industrialised pollution (
    Link doesn't work.
    while a clearly distressed poster is getting read the riot act for having some people paid to take care of rubbish. Should we have the 30% or so of people In Donegal who still use Ferry's to be given a clap on the back for using a "licenced operator"?
    So the use of a Ferry is somehow similar to illegal dumping, explain please
    The law squarely punishes individuals with fixed penalty notices and yet the law, local authorities and courts are both ineffective and offer risible punishments to mass-scale violations.
    You are required to be responsible with the disposal of waste. The fine is for irresponsibility.









    I'm also surprised that people on this forum of all places would take this line...

    Why because you feel everyone should agree with the OP, differing opinions upset you?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭ Roger Hassenforder


    Dr Ben wrote: »
    Because an old woman has been ripped off by cowboy buliders and now the council want to fine her for something she didnt do.


    the facts of the matter are:
    A person used an unlicensed waste contractor to dispose of their waste, and it ended up as litter. With evidence linking the litter to the person.

    What is it you think that she didn't do?
    What she didn't do, is use a licensed waste disposal contractor to remover her/OP's waste.

    but...but...she didn't put it where the "jobsworth" from the Council found it?. Is this the sum of your argument?

    Its a very simple concept:
    the onus is on you to ensure your waste is disposed of properly.
    Not to do so is an offence.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,527 ✭✭✭✭ the_syco


    Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Its not, but you tend to get what you pay for. The OP should not have allowed this chancer remove anything before he saw his waste permit licence.
    Cop the fcuk on, will you? Five men (I'm guessing travelers from their opious moandi) took what they wanted whilst the OP wasn't there.
    OP was looking for a cheap option of doing work on his mothers house instead of looking up a guttering expert or a registered builder
    Are you saying that that builders don't also advertise their services in the Northside People?


  • Registered Users Posts: 37,527 ✭✭✭✭ the_syco


    paulb06 wrote: »
    The issue I have is that he emptied our attic out of the stuff that was up there (old stuff that we never threw out, black bags) - my mam didn't know all my personal stuff was there either, he put them all in his truck (after leaving and coming back with 4 other men)
    Basically, five men stole everything in the OP's attic, and now the OP was gotten fined for the pleasure.


  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭✭ Dr Ben


    the facts of the matter are:
    A person used an unlicensed waste contractor to dispose of their waste, and it ended up as litter. With evidence linking the litter to the person.

    What is it you think that she didn't do?
    What she didn't do, is use a licensed waste disposal contractor to remover her/OP's waste.

    but...but...she didn't put it where the "jobsworth" from the Council found it?. Is this the sum of your argument?

    Its a very simple concept:
    the onus is on you to ensure your waste is disposed of properly.
    Not to do so is an offence.


    An elderly woman was taking advantage of yet they they fine her instead of going after the scumbags that ripped her off.

    Sure Ireland is a great little country to be a criminal.


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,104 ✭✭✭✭ Sleeper12


    You paid 200 for the work done.

    It would cost you 150 or more for a skip.

    Fine is for 150.

    I don't see where the problem is tbh


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭ Royal Legend


    the_syco wrote: »
    Basically, five men stole everything in the OP's attic, and now the OP was gotten fined for the pleasure.

    So 5 (five) men, possibly travellers, but not confirmed, stole everything in the OP's attic and instead of going to the Garda and reporting the theft, he comes on here giving out about a fine for illegal dumping. P.S. He has the phone details of the "contractor" do why not contact the Gaurds?


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭ degsie


    the_syco wrote: »
    Cop the fcuk on, will you? Five men (I'm guessing travelers from their opious moandi) took what they wanted whilst the OP wasn't there.

    Is that a new thing now? :o


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭ 2012paddy2012


    Appeal the fine setting out the circumstances. There is always an appeal process. Report the incident to the gardai giving as much info as possible.
    Include that fact in your written appeal. Of course leaving it so long until you got the fine seems rather strange ..if you were that concerned about your mother the matter should have been reported immediately.
    Makes me wonder. Chances of success ..50/50.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭ Royal Legend


    Appeal the fine setting out the circumstances. There is always an appeal process. Report the incident to the gardai giving as much info as possible.
    Include that fact in your written appeal. Of course leaving it so long until you got the fine seems rather strange ..if you were that concerned about your mother the matter should have been reported immediately.
    Makes me wonder. Chances of success ..50/50.

    exactly, i feel sorry for his mother not him, he was looking for a cheap way to clear rubbish out of his mother attic and it backfired.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ Hitman3000


    the_syco wrote:
    Cop the fcuk on, will you? Five men (I'm guessing travelers from their opious moandi) took what they wanted whilst the OP wasn't there.


    So instead of moaning here how come he hasn't reported them for theft?


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭ Roger Hassenforder


    Dr Ben wrote: »
    An elderly woman was taking advantage of yet they they fine her instead of going after the scumbags that ripped her off.

    Sure Ireland is a great little country to be a criminal.

    ideally they can get the scum bags using the flyer the OP availed of.
    from my reading of it, the OP was fined, not the little old lady.

    we're still left, how ever distasteful, with the fact that the OP/mother used an unlicensed waste disposal contractor because they were cheap. A legit waste contractor would be more expensive, because the waste is disposed of properly. The chickens are well and truly home and roosting.

    everything was hunky dory since April, OP got his work done cheap, and despite the hassling, intimidation, seemed quite happy to not report the scumbags to the AGS, and let other fall foul of them. "sure I'm all right Jack"
    But, here we are in July, and now that it has blown up in his face, suddenly there's a brouhaha about these scammers threatening and intimidation his old dear. TBH, if I thought my old dear was threatened/intimidated by trades me , Boards wouldnt be my first port of call. 3 months later.


Advertisement