Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrongly fined €150 for illegal dumping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭paulb06

degsie wrote: »
    Whatever about the circumstances regarding the removal of material, the council have to be praised for following up on illegal dumping.

Absolutely 100% agree with you but situations like mine are not isolated yet we're all treated the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭paulb06

Further to this actually, we rented a skip 2 weeks ago to get rid of all the stuff out the back and it was only taken away last week (have a receipt for this one!) I was convinced it was this company who dumped all the stuff not the other people, it was only when I saw the date on the notice I knew it wasn't the skip company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I know it's too late this time around, but if you need any kind of work done, you are better off asking people you know, to recommend someone they have used and found satisfactory. And try to be there yourself, if at all possible.

Sorry to hear what happened to your mam, and I hope that she is okay. My parents are elderly, and I always tell them to imply that one of my brothers is nearby (in fairness one of them usually is) if they ever have anyone calling around who is unknown to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dr Ben

Your mother shouldn't have to pay any fine since she paid to have the rubbish collected in good faith.

It might be worth her while to phone Joe Duffy the only way you can get the council to do the right thing is to shame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

Dr Ben wrote:
    Your mother shouldn't have to pay any fine since she paid to have the rubbish collected in good faith.

I don't agree with this, Council are doing their job. The person who owns the rubbish is their first port of call.

• Advertisement

Needs Must wrote: »
    I don't agree with this, Council are doing their job. The person who owns the rubbish is their first port of call.

It dosn't make any sense. What if I was to steal your rubbish and drump it in a field would that make you the criminal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

€350 Total (200+150 fine) is much better then €3500 is it not? was the job completed?

Sorry but the bit I do not understand is that you said no, then let him in to the attic to do the job anyway, you were aware that your mother let him in and you did nothing, now you have a €150 fine for being either complacent or fully aware that you thought he was going to clear the attic of all rubbish cheaply and saved you the bother of having to do it.

Looks like your laziness cost you, am sorry for your mother though, i hope you have the decency to pay the fine for her.

I've had these cowboy builders at my own parents door.

They never stop talking and its very hard to get rid of them.

They act like they're your best friend whos just trying to do you a favour.

If your an old person its very easy to get taking in by them.

Dr Ben wrote: »
    I've had these cowboy builders at my own parents door.

They never stop talking and its very hard to get rid of them.

They act like they're your best friend whos just trying to do you a favour.

If your an old person its very easy to get taking in by them.

The OP rang an ad in the paper, he drew them on his mother, surely he was there initially to talk to them, they did not come knocking they were invited, OP was looking for a cheap option of doing work on his mothers house instead of looking up a guttering expert or a registered builder and now he is on here moaning about the consequences, god help his mother if she ever has electrical or gas probelms with the house :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Hold on. 2k for gutter cleaning and it was initially a 3.5k problem?
    That is a fairly hefty reduction. Alarm bells should be ringing.

And what sort of gutters are they? I got brand new uPVC ones for my semi d for around that price.
    Can't believe it'd be that much to clean a birds nest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Melodeon

paulb06 wrote: »
    Sorry I have no idea who AGS are.

AGS = An Garda Síochána

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Dr Ben wrote:
    It dosn't make any sense. What if I was to steal your rubbish and drump it in a field would that make you the criminal ?

The council litter warden goes through the rubbish to try and identify whom it belongs to. Once they have a name that person becomes liable unless they can prove otherwise. Do you think 'my rubbish was stolen' has never been offered on receipt of a fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

paulb06 wrote: »
    Sorry I have no idea who AGS are.

An Garda Siochana, The cops, the fuzz, the law, the police, the pigs etc :)

• Site Banned Posts: 28 FelchWivMe

The guy and his mother were taken advantage of and conned and a bunch of ye are putting the blame on him and pontificating on your little thrones. Great to see that this website is still a smug kip.

FelchWivMe wrote: »
    The guy and his mother were taken advantage of and conned and a bunch of ye are putting the blame on him and pontificating on your little thrones. Great to see that this website is still a smug kip.

Your username says it all really

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭laotg

Very confusing OP. So the lad comes and quotes 3500 to sort out the birds nest, your mother gets it down to 2000 but eventually ends up paying 200. After this massive discount he then goes and takes your rubbish from the attic without you or your mother asking him to?

You have evidence of what you texted your friends, no court in the land will accept that as proof of anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

It might be worth her while to phone Joe Duffy the only way you can get the council to do the right thing is to shame them.

good faith isn't worth a toss in court. You are responsible for your waste until a licensed waste contractor takes responsibility for its disposal/recovery.
    i.e. it is your responsibility to make sure you engage legit operators.

the Council are doing the right thing, why would you need to "shame" them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭kirving

Love the hindsight some people here have. Obviously have never dealt with these types of thugs.

And on praising the council for a job well done? I think it's a fairly poor effort on their part. Not bothering to investigate the circumstances before issuing a fine to the person mosr likely to pay, and not going after the dumper.

And on praising the council for a job well done? I think it's a fairly poor effort on their part. Not bothering to investigate the circumstances before issuing a fine to the person mosr likely to pay, and not going after the dumper.

Are you for real?
    This is how it happens flytipping reported to the council. Litter warden sorts through rubbish to identify whom it belongs too. They find a bill/ pay slip with the an identifiable persons name on it. Logic dictates the name on the bill/pay slip is either directly or indirectly responsible for the presence of the rubbish. The onus moves on the person being fined to prove they are not responsible for the illegal dumping. The council did their job a suggestion of further investigation tbh is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

Dr Ben wrote:

Let's try and keep it real, not the "what if theories"

• Advertisement

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    The council did their job a suggestion of further investigation tbh is nonsense.

So it stops there?

Issuing fines is the low hanging fruit here, and doesn't actually solve the problem. Nor does it punish the dumper.

Foolish of me to think that the council will do a tap more work than they have to.

Reminds me of the bus inspectors, they won't even bother speaking to the druggies upstairs at the back.

good faith isn't worth a toss in court. You are responsible for your waste until a licensed waste contractor takes responsibility for its disposal/recovery.
    i.e. it is your responsibility to make sure you engage legit operators.

the Council are doing the right thing, why would you need to "shame" them?

Because an old woman has been ripped off by cowboy buliders and now the council want to fine her for something she didnt do.

So it stops there?

Yep it does, council has a name that person is liable unless they can prove otherwise.

Yep it does, council has a name that person is liable unless they can prove otherwise.

I thought law said a person was innocent till proven guilty ?

Dr Ben wrote:
    Because an old woman has been ripped off by cowboy buliders and now the council want to fine her for something she didnt do.

She's not being fined, the OP is and as far as the council is concerned it's his rubbish making him responsible.

The poor woman is a victim of the builder, the council and her lazy son, no doubt about that. the only issue is that the cowboy or the council would never have been at her door only for her lazy son.

• Site Banned Posts: 28 FelchWivMe

The poor woman is a victim of the builder, the council and her lazy son, no doubt about that. the only issue is that the cowboy or the council would never have been at her door only for her lazy son.

You're so judgemental it's hilarious and sickening in equal measure. Sitting behind a keyboard makes you judge, jury and executioner, eh?

Dr Ben wrote:
    I thought law said a person was innocent till proven guilty ?

Of course it does, the OP can dispute the fine in court if he wishes that option is open to him. The council found his details in dumped rubbish, they have identified him as an illegal dumper and issued a fine. It's up to the OP to prove he's not an illegal dumper. Simple really.

Do you actually think that an acceptable way to work?

Once the jobsworth in the council has "a name" to fill into the form, then that's their job done.

I could print your address on a letter and dump it, and you get a fine. Foolproof, another good job done by the council.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

FelchWivMe wrote: »

You can't put on liveline without hearing at least once a week about a heart sobbing story of an OAP taken advantage of by builders by calling an ad that came in her door or the local newspaper. Despite this every week on liveline, boards.ie etc there is another old person 'taken advantage of'... It is bizarre that people can't put 2+2 together.

Is the person really taken advantage or just lacking cop on if they are responding to dodgy ads in the local paper or coming ads coming in their front door? I seriously think it is the latter. A decent builder in 2017 does not need to advertise, as they are out the door with work.

People are not smug or on little thrones. They sick of hearing about poor OAPs 'taken advantage of', when in reality someone did not use their cop on. OAPs mother was going to the bank etc and had time to call OP. But not the Gardai? Where is the logic in that?

I know it is not what OP wants to hear or most of the posters want to hear either. She had time to call OP, but not the Gardai...

OP you are responsible for the disposal of your waste. I can't imagine the CoCo caring about you using a cowboy builder.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement